Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

37 years old and skinny again

Loki.7

Banned
Reaction score
So since I got back to my hometown after going through a break up and not seeing family and friends for about a year (due to living in another country), I've been getting comments on how skinny and ill I look.

The ill because of the stress though breakup and skinny because my training hasn't been on track and I've lost all strength and size.

Basically I'm back to the point where my body wants to be without training. Which is skinny.

Obviously this isn't doing my confidence any good. I was pretty ripped and one of the strongest guys in the gym at one point.
I'm older now and I guess I'm basically starting from scratch. I'm weak AF at them moment too.

My plan is just to do regular old 5 X 5 untill I get my numbers up. The goal will be basically to get weight on the bar and my body accustomed to the big lifts.

I know I don't thrive on 5 X 5 from experience. I've always just used it to boost strength and as a stepping stone.

So once I have a new foundation solid numbers I'm probably going to jump back on my old routine. A kinda push pull bro split. I don't know why but I've always thrived doing this. Mabye because there is only one big compound life per session then a ton supporting lifts. I don't know why I just know my body likes it.

No point starting my split without strength hence the 5 X 5.

Anyone else had to get back into shape in there late 30s?

What were your experiences?

nmartinez12443

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
What is your height and weight currently. What is your "normal weight" before the stress. What is your goal weight.

So it's pretty simple. Eat your body weight or slightly less in protein. Fill the rest with healthy carbs and fats. Go 500-750 calories over your tde and see if your weight goes up.

Make sure you bench, squat, dead, dips, pullup, overhead press, lunges. Fill in the rest with acessories.

Speaking from personal experience going from 37-38 years old 85% of your progress comes from your diet, especially cutting. I recently got into the best shape ever and currently at also trying gain weight in a lean bulk. 90 days

Attachments

Loki.7

Banned
Reaction score
This one is mabye 7 months ago. I'm not taking training too seriously. Fairly light and not my strongest .

It's gone completely to crap after. Basically lost everything.

Last edited:

Loki.7

Banned
Reaction score
I'm probably about 11 stone at around 5 11" tall. So lost a TON of weight. I'd be happy around 12.5 to 13 stone again with my strength back.

Last edited:

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm 53 years old and if there is one subject in these forums I feel qualified to give advice on it's health and fitness. The advice given by others is spot on but I'll add my 2 cents. 5x5 and 3x6's are a solid core to your workouts and should consume 80% of your workouts over the span of a year. Basic compound movements should be the core. Squat, bench, deadlifts, overhead presses, dips, and pull-ups. Everything else is just noise for your purposes. Be strong, don't be a poser. If you can squat 405, bench 300, and deadlift 450, then you will look like you can. I've used 5x5 in different ways to bulk and cut because like stated above bulking and cutting are done in the kitchen. The gym is for neuromuscular adaptation and causing microtrauma that is healed and built into new muscle during sleep, rest, and proper diet. Diet should be mostly animal based. Be a lion (predator) not a rabbit. Don't get on the workout merry-go round where the best workout seems to be the one you are not doing. Don't get hung up on leaning put at this point. It's hard to build muscle at a calorie deficit. Fact is, if you build cannonball shoulders and a barn sized back, you will naturally appear leaner even if your body fat stays the same. I've been lean muscular at 242 in my 30's and lean muscular into my 50's at my current weight of 170. Lastly, muscle building and extreme cardio don't go together. If building muscle is the emphasis, stick with just walking 30-60 minutes a day, and maybe, just maybe, sprinting once or twice a weak. If your not used to sprints, don't do them, you will cause injury. Attached is my credentials, lol, and also a picture of extreme cardio and what is does to your body.

Attachments

Loki.7

Banned
Reaction score
I'm 53 years old and if there is one subject in these forums I feel qualified to give advice on it's health and fitness. The advice given by others is spot on but I'll add my 2 cents. 5x5 and 3x6's are a solid core to your workouts and should consume 80% of your workouts over the span of a year. Basic compound movements should be the core. Squat, bench, deadlifts, overhead presses, dips, and pull-ups. Everything else is just noise for your purposes. Be strong, don't be a poser. If you can squat 405, bench 300, and deadlift 450, then you will look like you can. I've used 5x5 in different ways to bulk and cut because like stated above bulking and cutting are done in the kitchen. The gym is for neuromuscular adaptation and causing microtrauma that is healed and built into new muscle during sleep, rest, and proper diet. Diet should be mostly animal based. Be a lion (predator) not a rabbit. Don't get on the workout merry-go round where the best workout seems to be the one you are not doing. Don't get hung up on leaning put at this point. It's hard to build muscle at a calorie deficit. Fact is, if you build cannonball shoulders and a barn sized back, you will naturally appear leaner even if your body fat stays the same. I've been lean muscular at 242 in my 30's and lean muscular into my 50's at my current weight of 170. Lastly, muscle building and extreme cardio don't go together. If building muscle is the emphasis, stick with just walking 30-60 minutes a day, and maybe, just maybe, sprinting once or twice a weak. If your not used to sprints, don't do them, you will cause injury. Attached is my credentials, lol, and also a picture of extreme cardio and what is does to your body.

There is going to be a problem regarding cardio. I'm currently working towards becoming a dog trainer, to keep the income coming in in going to be walking dogs.

So realistically it's gonna be about three hours walking a day .

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lastly, muscle building and extreme cardio don't go together. If building muscle is the emphasis, stick with just walking 30-60 minutes a day, and maybe, just maybe, sprinting once or twice a weak.
+1
This should be emphasized because I see people doing it wrong all the time.

There is going to be a problem regarding cardio. I'm currently working towards becoming a dog trainer, to keep the income coming in in going to be walking dogs.

No you should be fine. Walking briskly is fine. "Extreme Cardio" is when you're running 5+ miles or anything really strenuous for endurance purposes where your stress levels(cortisol levels) go up. This in return brings down your testosterone levels. This is what you want to avoid.

nmartinez12443

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats your height and weight in the mirrored picture.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score

Correct! Walking 3 hours or so a day will not cause issue because it's the same energy system as walking 30-60 minutes. The only adjustment I would make is making sure you're getting adequate calories to compensate, the bulk of which should be from protein and fat.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats your height and weight in the mirrored picture.
I'm 6'1 170. When I competed in my 20's and 30's, I lifted at bodyweights anywhere from 220 up to 260lb. I always liked to experiment with body composition and it's effect on strength etc. Then it was about size and and being a strong mofo. Now it's about being healthy and being a strong mofo pound for pound. As far as men are concerned, age should just be a number. You only become OLD, when other men no longer view you as a possible physical threat. "Men typically age like fine wine, Women age like milk." (Author ?) Generally true in my experience.

Loki.7

Banned
Reaction score

Regarding routines. I've always used stonglifts 5x5 as a stepping stone, after a break just to get used to the main movements again. Only using it because of its simplicity.

The plan is to use stonglifts until I'm getting decent enough weight on the bar then to switch to a Day 1 chest tri, Day 2 back bi, Day 3 legs , Day 4 shoulders and weakness. Basically start each day with a big compound movement with low reps (linial progression) , the rest of the workout supports that moment and used higher reps .

After I've exasuated that and progression stalls I'll go on something a bit slower like 5,3,1.

This just what I know and have used in the past and had success with. Goal is to get strength back as effectively as possible plus size. I'll probably purposely overeat and dirty bulk a bit and intensionally get a bit fat (which I can lose easily later down the line). Literally any increase in size , even a bit of flab will welcomed at this point.

As I'm at the very start of my new jorneny I'm curious on how others would approach this.

Last edited:

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
All of the above programs are solid. They are solid because they use many of the same principles that make a good program effective. Don't get into analysis to paralysis though. The most important thing is to just do it, and do it consistently. Lifting should be just something you do kind of like brushing your teeth. Heavy basic compound lifts consistently will get you there. Wendler's 5,3,1 is a good method. Within 5,3,1 there are 1000's of ways to use it and navigate the "stalls." It sounds like you are familiar with 5,3,1. I'm more a fan of Wendler then Mehdi but that just me. Both good programs though. Mehdi is good for the newbies. 5,3,1 is more flexible from a programming standpoint and has room for newbies also. Mehdi's best squat is 424 lbs. Wendler has squatted over a 1000 lbs. Knowing that, whose your Yoda? Pick a Yoda and stick with them for a year. Stalls are inevitable but changing program gurus is not the best answer. If you go 5,3,1 and you don't have one of his books, get it. The internet 5,3,1 and apps don't give you a full understanding.

The above program split above that you plan after Strong lifts tells me either A) you haven't thought it through or B) you're not deadlifting on back day, which allows you to do leg day the following workout. Or C) you're not deadlifting or squatting, which allows you to do back day immediately followed by leg day. I will say this, there is a very small population that mechanically, just shouldn't squat heavy or at all. If I had to choose squat or deadlift, it's deadlift all day long. What mimics squat in everyday life? Nothing! What mimics deadlift? Life! In other words, when do you bend over and pick crap up? All the damn time. Whether it's hoisting the deer I just shot into my truck or moving a couch.

As far as higher reps go, there is nothing wrong with having a "Bro" day and pumping blood in there. Sometimes higher reps with lighter weight is a good momentary break from heavy lifting or injury recovery etc. High reps have there place and can be effective but not in ways many think they do. Bodybuilders use high reps for different purposes then crossfitters. I won't get too far into the weeds on muscle fibers, but each muscle fiber has an "all or nothing" quality. Meaning, when you lift a donut up to your mouth, your nervous system is calling on only the muscle fibers needed to put that donut up to you mouth so you can eat it. Those muscle fibers used, are firing at 100%. They are not using a bunch of fibers firing at 5%. So, if you lift a weight for 15 reps, maybe to failure, how much muscle fiber was called upon? To do 5 reps requires your nervous system to recruit more muscle fibers to lift the heavier weight. The more micro trauma to the more muscle fibers equals bigger muscle over time. Deadlifting 20 reps doesn't help me hoist that deer onto my truck as much as deadlifting 3-5 reps does.

Dirty bulking can be effective but it can also get out of hand. You can grow quality muscle while your health goes to crap, i.e. blood markers, blood pressure etc. If you go this route, you better make sure you are disciplined enough and experienced enough to shed the excessive fat. Years ago I competed in the 220 lbs in early spring weighing in at 217. At the end of summer I competed in the 275 lbs. My actual weight was 268. A typical meal might have been, a large pizza with ranch dressing, dessert was a box of pop tarts with chocolate syrup, washed down with a jug of chocolate milk. I was a strong, unhealthy son of gun, with sleep apnea to boot. IMO, skip dirty bulking and just eat excessive but healthy foods with an occasional indulgence. Sounds like you gone from working out and eating good to not working out and eating bad, rinse and repeat. People often spend 3-20 years inactive and feeding their body crap then expect to see awesome results in one month. It's counterintuitive but sometimes an end goal is detrimental because once you reach it you let off the gas. Then people start telling themselves since they reached their goal they deserve a break or deserve to eat like crap etc. Just make it something you do. Don't train for 18 inch biceps and for 10% bodyfat. Train because any day now, you might walk by a house fire, and you have to pick-up some fat chick and carry her out of a burning building. Train because you might have to lift the corner of a car off a trapped person. Train because any day now some dude with some prison muscle is going to challenge you. Whether you can fight or not, (If not, I suggest you learn), many men will size you up physically before challenging you. When criminals are picking a victim, most will take the path of perceived least resistance. They'll pick the weaker looking person just like predators in the wild. As Rippetoe has said, "Generally speaking, a stronger man is harder to kill." That's why you train. A symptom of that type of training is that you'll look good naked.

Last edited:

mjb3617

Don Juan
Reaction score
35 here and just started training for the first time in my life. Lost 33 pounds in 2.5 months lifting and eating right. Went from 240 to 207 currently. I'm 6'0".

Wish I had gotten my head out of my ass when I was younger, but better late than never. Feel much better and healthier these days. I'm not ripped yet by any stretch of the imagination, but by this time next year, I'm planning on being there.

Between the ex, my job, and just life I needed to make a change and worry about myself for once.

Loki.7

Banned
Reaction score
All of the above programs are solid. They are solid because they use many of the same principles that make a good program effective. Don't get into analysis to paralysis though. The most important thing is to just do it, and do it consistently. Lifting should be just something you do kind of like brushing your teeth. Heavy basic compound lifts consistently will get you there. Wendler's 5,3,1 is a good method. Within 5,3,1 there are 1000's of ways to use it and navigate the "stalls." It sounds like you are familiar with 5,3,1. I'm more a fan of Wendler then Mehdi but that just me. Both good programs though. Mehdi is good for the newbies. 5,3,1 is more flexible from a programming standpoint and has room for newbies also. Mehdi's best squat is 424 lbs. Wendler has squatted over a 1000 lbs. Knowing that, whose your Yoda? Pick a Yoda and stick with them for a year. Stalls are inevitable but changing program gurus is not the best answer. If you go 5,3,1 and you don't have one of his books, get it. The internet 5,3,1 and apps don't give you a full understanding.

The above program split above that you plan after Strong lifts tells me either A) you haven't thought it through or B) you're not deadlifting on back day, which allows you to do leg day the following workout. Or C) you're not deadlifting or squatting, which allows you to do back day immediately followed by leg day. I will say this, there is a very small population that mechanically, just shouldn't squat heavy or at all. If I had to choose squat or deadlift, it's deadlift all day long. What mimics squat in everyday life? Nothing! What mimics deadlift? Life! In other words, when do you bend over and pick crap up? All the damn time. Whether it's hoisting the deer I just shot into my truck or moving a couch.

As far as higher reps go, there is nothing wrong with having a "Bro" day and pumping blood in there. Sometimes higher reps with lighter weight is a good momentary break from heavy lifting or injury recovery etc. High reps have there place and can be effective but not in ways many think they do. Bodybuilders use high reps for different purposes then crossfitters. I won't get too far into the weeds on muscle fibers, but each muscle fiber has an "all or nothing" quality. Meaning, when you lift a donut up to your mouth, your nervous system is calling on only the muscle fibers needed to put that donut up to you mouth so you can eat it. Those muscle fibers used, are firing at 100%. They are not using a bunch of fibers firing at 5%. So, if you lift a weight for 15 reps, maybe to failure, how much muscle fiber was called upon? To do 5 reps requires your nervous system to recruit more muscle fibers to lift the heavier weight. The more micro trauma to the more muscle fibers equals bigger muscle over time. Deadlifting 20 reps doesn't help me hoist that deer onto my truck as much as deadlifting 3-5 reps does.

Dirty bulking can be effective but it can also get out of hand. You can grow quality muscle while your health goes to crap, i.e. blood markers, blood pressure etc. If you go this route, you better make sure you are disciplined enough and experienced enough to shed the excessive fat. Years ago I competed in the 220 lbs in early spring weighing in at 217. At the end of summer I competed in the 275 lbs. My actual weight was 268. A typical meal might have been, a large pizza with ranch dressing, dessert was a box of pop tarts with chocolate syrup, washed down with a jug of chocolate milk. I was a strong, unhealthy son of gun, with sleep apnea to boot. IMO, skip dirty bulking and just eat excessive but healthy foods with an occasional indulgence. Sounds like you gone from working out and eating good to not working out and eating bad, rinse and repeat. People often spend 3-20 years inactive and feeding their body crap then expect to see awesome results in one month. It's counterintuitive but sometimes an end goal is detrimental because once you reach it you let off the gas. Then people start telling themselves since they reached their goal they deserve a break or deserve to eat like crap etc. Just make it something you do. Don't train for 18 inch biceps and for 10% bodyfat. Train because any day now, you might walk by a house fire, and you have to pick-up some fat chick and carry her out of a burning building. Train because you might have to lift the corner of a car off a trapped person. Train because any day now some dude with some prison muscle is going to challenge you. Whether you can fight or not, (If not, I suggest you learn), many men will size you up physically before challenging you. When criminals are picking a victim, most will take the path of perceived least resistance. They'll pick the weaker looking person just like predators in the wild. As Rippetoe has said, "Generally speaking, a stronger man is harder to kill." That's why you train. A symptom of that type of training is that you'll look good naked.
I can't see stonglifts supporting me long term. I was only planning on using it for a couple of months.

Squatting heavy three times a week and deadlift on squat days will burn me out for sure. I was only planning on using it to practice the lifts and put a bit of weight on the bar.

My strength is basically begginer level at the moment. Mabye I'm taking the wrong approach and should find something sustainable right from the get go.

CAPSLOCK BANDIT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know a lot of women from back home who are secretly mothering some toothpicks kid while being married to a guy who thinks its his, guy is a known womanizer in the small town, skinny tall guy with a huge long d breeds a new chick every month it seems, he's on disability too so they can't even get child support

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I can't see stonglifts supporting me long term. I was only planning on using it for a couple of months.

Squatting heavy three times a week and deadlift on squat days will burn me out for sure. I was only planning on using it to practice the lifts and put a bit of weight on the bar.

My strength is basically begginer level at the moment. Mabye I'm taking the wrong approach and should find something sustainable right from the get go.
Squatting three times a week is possible if properly programmed. I'm glad you're humble and admit to being beginner level even though you've lifted in the past. As a beginner you can get away with squatting in linear progression for awhile and make super gains. As you become advanced, linear progression would lead to burnout or injury. One thing is for sure though and this shouldn't be taken lightly. Squatting is a skill. Many programs that prescribe squat and deadlift, don't include mastering the skill. Based on everything you've stated, I would highly recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. People don't always appreciate his rough edges and that he looks like a fat heart attack waiting to happen, but he knows his stuff when it comes to technique of the big lifts. He has brought 70 year old men who could barely get out of a chair, to squatting 200 lbs. He also includes a linear progression for beginners. This book will assist you from injury, and show you how to biomechanically lift the most weight possible.

Loki.7

Banned
Reaction score
Squatting three times a week is possible if properly programmed. I'm glad you're humble and admit to being beginner level even though you've lifted in the past. As a beginner you can get away with squatting in linear progression for awhile and make super gains. As you become advanced, linear progression would lead to burnout or injury. One thing is for sure though and this shouldn't be taken lightly. Squatting is a skill. Many programs that prescribe squat and deadlift, don't include mastering the skill. Based on everything you've stated, I would highly recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. People don't always appreciate his rough edges and that he looks like a fat heart attack waiting to happen, but he knows his stuff when it comes to technique of the big lifts. He has brought 70 year old men who could barely get out of a chair, to squatting 200 lbs. He also includes a linear progression for beginners. This book will assist you from injury, and show you how to biomechanically lift the most weight possible.

I already have his book.

I've actually been messing about with weights for mabye 20 year. In all those years there are probably 5 years worth of proper focused dedicating training.

Basically what happened in my early 30's I took training serious and I made massive gains compared to any other time in my life.

Mabye at around the age of 34 I was suffering from stress, dizzy spells and weakness , I stopped training for a while, for mabye 6 months. Doctors looked at me but couldn't find anything wrong , although they weren't super thorough in my opinion.

When I got back to training it was setback after setback. I was progressively getting weaker and smaller. It was a cycle, I would train , something would happen and I'd lose everything then be back at the beginning again.

I've never stopped training. It's just been a complete disaster, I may as well of not trained at all if I'm honest.

I've just moved. I need to register to a doctor, when I get registered I'm going to get a check up regarding that. My main concern is not being able to gain weight , I'm literally eating the same as I was a few years ago when I was 2 stone heavier and training hard .

The other thing that's screwed is sleep. These days I struggle to sleep.

In regards of the big lifts my form is good. My old bones still remember lol.

Last edited:

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think you're going to be fine, you just might need to shift your paradigm a little. It's kind of a "If you think can or you think you can't, you're right" kind of thing. I think you're being too hard on yourself. Many of the answers are right in front of you, they may just not be as easy and clear cut as you would like them to be. If getting strong and muscular were easy, then the world would be full of strong muscular men. Over analysis and excessive research is a form of procrastination. This is no knock on you and may not even apply, but we all do it in one form or another. Like I said above, the best routine is always going to be the one you are not doing.

Lifting is tough and you're going to have ups and downs both in weight, injuries etc. It's a battle, and these are battle scars. Iron has taught me more about myself then anything else. It keeps me humble. It makes me fight through adversity and strengthens my mind as much as my body. I have torn my pec, fractured my vertebrae, torn my right lat and tricep, and left hamstring. Each of these usually came with a bout of depression. The iron caused none of these. It was my fault. My ego got in the way and the iron set me straight. The iron is like the dad I never had. It punished me harshly when needed, but rewarded me more then i'll ever be able to pay it back.

IMO, sleep, stress, and other issues be damned, pick your path. 5-3-1, Starting Strength, or Stronglifts. Make it your Bible for one year. Don't look at any other routine or methods. Know why you are training. Make it a strong why. 18 inch biceps is not a strong why. Be a predator, a protector etc. The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in war, right? Don't be the victim. Consider working out at home and make it your sanctuary without distraction and judgment. When I do battle in my garage it's me and the dog and a little Hatebreed or Pantera for easy listening. Sometimes it's a hundred degrees in my garage and sometimes it's 10 degrees in the winter. F climate control. If i'm squatting a heavy weight, when I'm under the bar, If I start thinking about all my problems or the crap I have to do tomorrow, the weight will crush me. This is yoga. But yoga with a price to pay if you aren't present.

All that said, don't think you have to start out lifting heavy, balls to the wall, day in and day out. Ease into it in the beginning and get use to the movements. Let the weight come later. Don't feel bad if at the beginning you don't even sweat or feel like you've done much. Just prime yourself for bigger things to come. Study your "Bible" everyday whether it's Starting Strength or another. Do the movements. The key is to just do. Still see a doctor, still improve your sleep. Lifting will help with the stress I promise but it's impossible to eliminate all stress. You may not realize, but you are also stressing about not lifting. What's holding you back? It's none of the above noise, that's just you rationalizing it to try to ease your pain.

Attachments

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm probably about 11 stone at around 5 11" tall. So lost a TON of weight. I'd be happy around 12.5 to 13 stone again with my strength back.
I don't want to open a giant can of worms here, because these subjects can quickly get dogmatic but if you are comfortable with it, I would like to know what a typical day of eating looks like to you. Training or not training.