Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

2nd bachelorsin biology for phd in behavioral neuroscience?

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I graduated in May w/ a degree in psychology. I had a bad gpa of 2.2ish. I didnt really care about school and was more concerned about hanging out. I want to go to grad school for behavioral neuroscience. Im considering going back to school for biology and getting a good gpa, 3.5 plus, and getting some research experience under my belt. Im just wondering if this is a good idea and if a high gpa from a 2nd BS would negate my gpa from the 1st.

CoolBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
Aren't you going into sales with your great options from your psychology degree?

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
May as well get the phd because you'd have to get one for biology to even get a good job unless you're working to be a park ranger or something. Plus, think about it: you really want to go to school for a couple more years to get just a bachelor degree when you could be a doctor in the same amount of time?

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Da Realist said:
May as well get the phd because you'd have to get one for biology to even get a good job unless you're working to be a park ranger or something. Plus, think about it: you really want to go to school for a couple more years to get just a bachelor degree when you could be a doctor in the same amount of time?
In the sciences, Ph. D's are only good for college teaching and heavy research type jobs. In most all other cases, it's overkill and not a degree I'd recommend.

I have a masters in Biology and make a healthy pay. But many of the guys and gals I work with have only a bachelors and most of them make over 50K. There are many other jobs, especially federal jobs, that pay biologists great. The private sector is also very hot for environmental type jobs.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're gonna take the bio route why not consider clinical disciplines. I did my first degree in molecular bio. I could have done a M.Sc/PhD but opted to take a fast track program in nursing for my second B.Sc. I'm 27 now, and make $35-$40/hour (and that's at the bottom end of the pay scale). I have tremendous job security and flexibility.

My career goal in the next 5-7 years is to be a CRNA (nurse anesthetist) in the US. They can easily make 150-200k, have a lot of autonomy and are highly respected as valuable members of healthcare teams. There is also a great demand for CRNAs in the US.

I'll probably eventually get a PhD in pharmacology, because I totally love it, but its because I want to eventually get into teaching.

My point is, if you're gonna bust your ass doing a PhD why not expend the same effort in a degree where the pay, demand and job security of career you have after is commensurate with the amount of hard work you put into your degree?

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CoolBlue said:
Aren't you going into sales with your great options from your psychology degree?
I never said my options were great, dumbass. I said i have a lot of options and a variety to choose from.

Glad to see you care about how im doing, thanks sweetie.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
I never said my options were great, dumbass. I said i have a lot of options and a variety to choose from.

The losers are always bitter.

I remember in that thread you were arguing with me about your awesome options. I will repeat my wisdom here again: a psychology degree is nothing.

A 2.2 GPA psych degree is less than nothing.

Listen up here are your options.

1. Go to school again. Don't **** around this time and really work. Your second BS (is this even possible?) will not negate your 2.2 GPA. After all, even if you get a 4.0 the second time, it has taken you 2 tries when others accomplished it in 1. But the second BS will show you have matured and stopped being such an idiot in life. In this aspect it is good.

2. Pursue your other options. While getting a good education is certainly the safest and most assured way of beign successful in life, there are other methods that require more risk and may not be so secure in their rewards.

If you pursue these other outlets there is some hope.

As for 1, if you have the funding and time and are truly serious, go do it. If you are not serious, do not waste your parents' money and go pursue another option through the many doors your psych degree has opened for you.

One more thing, why is everyone talking about a PhD for this guy? With a 2.2 you will not get in anywhere. I assume you did no noteworthy extracurriculars in your spare time since you were too busy partying your nights away. Wasting away your time and life. Save your application money and go for a second chance at a real education.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desert Fox said:
The losers are always bitter.

I remember in that thread you were arguing with me about your awesome options. I will repeat my wisdom here again: a psychology degree is nothing.

A 2.2 GPA psych degree is less than nothing.

Listen up here are your options.

1. Go to school again. Don't **** around this time and really work. Your second BS (is this even possible?) will not negate your 2.2 GPA. After all, even if you get a 4.0 the second time, it has taken you 2 tries when others accomplished it in 1. But the second BS will show you have matured and stopped being such an idiot in life. In this aspect it is good.

2. Pursue your other options. While getting a good education is certainly the safest and most assured way of beign successful in life, there are other methods that require more risk and may not be so secure in their rewards.

If you pursue these other outlets there is some hope.

As for 1, if you have the funding and time and are truly serious, go do it. If you are not serious, do not waste your parents' money and go pursue another option through the many doors your psych degree has opened for you.

One more thing, why is everyone talking about a PhD for this guy? With a 2.2 you will not get in anywhere. I assume you did no noteworthy extracurriculars in your spare time since you were too busy partying your nights away. Wasting away your time and life. Save your application money and go for a second chance at a real education.
Wow, i STILL dont understand why youre so pissed.

Haha youre such a retard. I never said i had a bunch of awesome choices, i said i have a variety of options. Psychology is human behavior, which is a part of every job. But for some reason, you guys dont think that is the case. My parents dont pay for anything, so keep your dumbass comments coming. How about the economy smart guy? 22% of graduates were unemployed last year, this year its 50%. Again, you act like you know everything. Its funny that you make fun of me for hanging out and drinking and what not, what a fag. Have you graduated? No, im pretty sure my degree is worth more than you. Hahahah, im such an idiot for making a decision 5 years ago, youre right. Hi, my name is desert fox and i need help with my acne and get a girl to let me touch her areola. Puh puh puh lease give me some great pickup advice.

And i actually have a job at prudential as a financial advisor...so yea, looks like my degree is just f*ckin peachy...hahaha ya little sh*t hahaha.

CoolBlue

Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:

So what happened to those wide variety of options?

You're welcome by the way. I love to be of help to another forum member.

But seriously from your repies in this thread, it is obvious you have not yet developed the maturity required for further studies. I suggest you stay a couple of years at your current job or even join the military for 2 years. That will teach you some discipline and help you gain insights and perspective on the world. You wouldn't be such a screw up and work harder if you know what the world is like.

Desert Fox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
Wow, i STILL dont understand why youre so pissed.

Haha youre such a retard. I never said i had a bunch of awesome choices, i said i have a variety of options. Psychology is human behavior, which is a part of every job. But for some reason, you guys dont think that is the case. My parents dont pay for anything, so keep your dumbass comments coming. How about the economy smart guy? 22% of graduates were unemployed last year, this year its 50%. Again, you act like you know everything. Its funny that you make fun of me for hanging out and drinking and what not, what a fag. Have you graduated? No, im pretty sure my degree is worth more than you. Hahahah, im such an idiot for making a decision 5 years ago, youre right. Hi, my name is desert fox and i need help with my acne and get a girl to let me touch her areola. Puh puh puh lease give me some great pickup advice.

And i actually have a job at prudential as a financial advisor...so yea, looks like my degree is just f*ckin peachy...hahaha ya little sh*t hahaha.
Your tone here is much more hostile and rude than your private message to me. It seems that you have something to show to these anonymous fvcks on the other side of the monitor.

In any case, I said what I had to. It's your life, I really don't care beyond what I already wrote and wanted to say. You could disappear from the world, go through college and fail, or succeed, and I wouldn't care. Don't take things so personally and you will get far. Instead you choose to fight a worthless battle with me on the internet. Go study and stop wasting time fool.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desert Fox said:
Your tone here is much more hostile and rude than your private message to me. It seems that you have something to show to these anonymous fvcks on the other side of the monitor.

In any case, I said what I had to. It's your life, I really don't care beyond what I already wrote and wanted to say. You could disappear from the world, go through college and fail, or succeed, and I wouldn't care. Don't take things so personally and you will get far. Instead you choose to fight a worthless battle with me on the internet. Go study and stop wasting time fool.
Youre right, i am being a dooshbag. Just remember, aside from the fact that you know i majored in psych and just graduated, you dont know anything about me...just some advice. Toodles honeybear.

Upside

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just curious, what school did you go to and plan on going to for this 2nd degree?

Also, aren't you supposed to start the job search during senior year before you graduate? There should be a career office that would have helped you with your problem before of getting a job.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Upside said:
Just curious, what school did you go to and plan on going to for this 2nd degree?

Also, aren't you supposed to start the job search during senior year before you graduate? There should be a career office that would have helped you with your problem before of getting a job.
Colorado State. Im probably not gonna go back to school since i have enough student loans as it is. Ive been job searching for a while. I started getting ideas of what i might like probably two years ago and i started applying in feb.