25 and going bald, best way to handle it?

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by MaxPower
I'm 5'9" but I have a pretty good facial structure. There is no way in HELL i'm going to spend $10,000 or more for hair transplant surgery - even the best case scenarios look worse than a shaved head IMO. I'm thinking that the best thing to do is get buff and shave it...
5'9" is not a bad height and it would be alot worse if you were short. No offense, no one wants to be SHORT and BALD! If you have a fairly attractive face, I say it should not much make of a difference. Hell, I am 25 and have a full head of nice hair (knock on wood) and to be honest with you it would bother me if If I were losing it now. Who cares, if you are already married or in your 40's. I have ears that stick out a little and a bald head would make it stand out so much more....however it is all mental I guess.

MaxPower

Reaction score
Well, I think I know my first mission then. I have to get confidence in my appearance, and it seems like the best way to do that is shave the head and build some muscle. Maybe get some tat's that would rock.

Thanks for all the replies so far, please keep em' comming. I want to get as much feedback on this topic as possible. For guys like me, this is THE issue when trying to become a Don Juan (and there's nothing in the Bible about this unique situation).

mahon83050

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I definitely say shave it off completely. Having hair in the sides and back and having it non-existent or thinning on top does not look good. I actually have a decent story. I worked with a guy whose roomate was about 5'8" and had that little piece of hair that he combed over to hide his baldness. When he had his hair this way, women did not give him much attention. Supposedly, once he shaved his head, he hooked up that day. So, my suggestion to you is shave it and maybe grow a goatee. Stone Cold looks great with it...and if you watch the show "OZ" there was a guy named Wolfgang Cutler who actually looked better bald. In my overall opinion, as long as you do not have oversized and/or ears that stick out or a big nose....I think you will be fine. Good Luck! Unforutnately, I have a little of both, so hopefully I will not lose my hair for another 10 years. ;)

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys are horribly misinformed about the hair transplant thing. A good doctor will produce a result that is virtually undetectable.

I was told I would spend around $12,000 over the course of a lifetime to have it done. The problem is that with my type of baldness i don't have enough donor hair to get good coverage. Otherwise I would do it in a heartbeat.

So I am faced with the choice of keeping the shaved look (that works well for me) or get the transplant and NEVER be able to shave it again due to the scarring from the harvest area.

It's YOUR attitude towards your appearance that matters.

Reaction score
If yur going bald at 25, then tell the ladies to stop tugging on your hair so damn much when youre making out with them (they can be pretty fiesty in the heat of the moment)...if that doesnt work then find a kick ass hat/cap or shave'r off. No shame with that...true?

Wolf_1139

Reaction score
Shave it off. infact shave all your hair off. and buy a large motorcycle, buy some nice leather clothes and join the Hell's Angles

Nobody will mess with you then and the women love the big hog

The Bad Ass Canadian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I first noticed I was balding at age 15!!!!!!

Now don't tell me that doesn't suck. Not even halfway through my teens, and losing hair, and my dignity. I couldn't deal with it, so I got it fixed. Had I not got the transplant, and used rogaine to prevent further hair loss, I'd probably be bald right now at 23 yrs. old.

The transplant techniques have been refined and look alot better than they used too. If you bumped into me on the street, you'd never know.

Reto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't worry about it! It's not your problem, it's thiers.

It is your problem if you show that it bothers you!

I've been going thin since the late teens. I'm seeing a chick who says I look like Ed Harris the actor. She digs it.

I've been friends with another chick (at the gym) for several months. She has never seen me without a ball cap on. We went out the other night and she said "wow, your like a real man". ( I was also dressed in my work clothes which she hadn't seen either).

Think of all the Actors who chicks find hot who have thin hair. Sean Connery, Ed Harris, Bruce Willis, etc...

I have to admit, I thought about shaving it, but in my business, I think I look better with it thinning. Maybe some day.

drZaius09

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by MaxPower
"It doesn't matter. "

So you're saying that losing your hair at a young age doesn't matter to women at ALL? So... why do we workout, dress sharp, groom ourselves, etc. if appearances don't matter to women? Why bother with our physical self at all if the most important things to women are humor and confidence?
Exactly... You have learned an important lesson, IT DOES MATTER. It will always matter, and anyone who thinks it does not is lying to themselves and to you. The fact is that the other variables you mentioned (i.e., dressing well, grooming, working out) can help to overcome the weaknesses in your appearance that you cannot control, such as balding, or scars, or just plain ugliness. It depends on the woman and what she is willing to overlook; but the bottom line remains, appearance is the MOST integral factor in your initial success with any woman.

Bud Wiser

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have definitely been through this whole losing hair thing.

First off, you might want to consider shaving it all off, but there's a great big "BUT" involved here -- do you have the right shaped head for it?

Two examples of good looking all-bald guys: Patrick Stewart and Vin Diesel. They have proportional, oval shaped noggins and look cool with chrome domes.

One example of a not-so-hot looking baldie: Elmer Fudd. Don't laugh, plenty of guys have a head shaped like this, or similar assymetry. Me, for instance. No way do I want to go bald.

First, I tried Rogaine when it was introduced more than ten years ago. It was way, way too expensive then and didn't really work.

Then I tried Propecia. Still expensive, still no dice.

My dermo doc then prescribed a "dual modality" attack on Mount Baldy: Propecia and single-strength Rogaine. Nada.

Next up: generic double strength Minoxidil (generic name for Rogaine), no Propecia.

Bingo! It works. I've grown a little hair back in my thinner areas and totally halted further baldness.

In my case, I have male pattern baldness, which is balding from the peak of the head, rather than a receding hairline. I never went bald in any one spot, but I'm absolutely certain I would be by now, save for the double-strength Minoxidil.

It's cheap, too. It's a generic topical drug now, available at CVS (and I'm sure under other generic house labels as well) for what comes to about $13 a month, if you purchase the CVS three-bottle pack.

Based on my success, I'd say try this low-cost option first. Remember, it's the double-strength stuff (labels are marked) that works for me, not the single strength.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Snigbert

Don Juan
Reaction score
I can honestly say from my experience that women dont give a damn about baldness. The only people who care about it is men who suffer from baldness (and they shoudn't let it bother them.)

I was completely bald at one point (from chemotherapy), and it didnt look like I shaved my head, it looked like I had no hair. I.e., no stubble at all. During that time I had exactly the same amount of play from women as I did before and afterwards. I think the reason was that I knew my hair would come back, so I didnt get the 'bald guy complex' where I was concerned about how it looked. So seriously, be yourself, be confident, and if your baldness doesnt bother you it wont bother anyone else.