Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

21 Ways To Improve Your Squat Technique & Avoid Injury

Slone

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good article, I always love reading a good squatting article and there always seems to be something new that I can learn.

Some of my favorite points were

3. Narrow Grip. The closer your hands are next to your shoulders, the better. It’s easier to tighten your upper back muscles with a narrow grip. Start doing Shoulder Dislocations if this feels uncomfortable.

I had too wide of a grip when I first started squatting but bringing it in feels much better.

6. Chest Up. Put your chest forward. Lift it up. This will avoid bending the back during the Squat.

I find that it's easier to keep a neutral/slightly arched spine if I focus on keeping my chest up instead of keeping my back straight.

14. Knees Out. Pushing your knees ******d will make it easier to squat deep & involve more muscles. Never let them buckle in.

I didn't do this when I first started squatting until my knees started to get stiff and tight. Keep them out!

21. Go Deep. Squatting deep will work more muscles & strengthen you knees. If your knees hurt: check your technique & start light, gradually increase the load from workout to workout. And make sure you don’t bounce at the bottom.

The most important! Go deep or you're not squatting!

4. Thumbless Grip. Put your thumbs on top of the bar, next to your fingers. Makes it easier to keep your wrists inline with your forearms.

I've never heard this one before, I'll have to give thumbless a try tomorrow.

Here's a couple critiques I have from my past readings:

9. Elbows Back. Don’t let them come forward during the Squat. Pulling your elbows back will prevent elbow injuries.

In this article: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_149squat
Dave Tate says "You must also keep the shoulder blades pulled together with your elbows pulled forward. This will create the much needed upper back tightness to keep the barbell in proper position. Remember, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so you must keep the barbell in the proper path.

When your elbows turn out toward the back, the bar will drift forward again and end up stapling you to the floor as well as ripping your head off. This is one common mistake I see in all my seminars. When I ask attendees who taught them to squat with their elbows back, nine out of ten times they say, "My coach." This is another example of those who think they know how to squat not knowingsquat!"

15. Hips Move First. Think sitting back on your toilet:

Squatting down: hips go back
Squatting up: hips go forward
Up or down: the hips move first.

I always think of sitting back on a toilet when I squat. Box squats help some with this as well. My nitpick is about moving your hips first when going up. From the same article:

"As a side note, what's the last thing to move when you squat? It would be your head. So what should be the first thing to move when coming out of the hole? You got it, your head. This only makes perfect sense. You have to think about driving your back and head into the bar first during the assent. We tell our lifters the chest and head should always be first. You're trying to raise the bar, so move it first! If the quads flex first, the hips will rise before the bar and force the barbell forward."

11. Feet Stance. Your heels should be shoulder-width apart. Important for proper Squat depth.

I don't feel that it is necessary to always have your feet the same distance apart. I occasionally vary my stance from maybe 2 inches more than shoulder width to several inches wider than shoulder width to have a slightly different motion. My rationale is similar to rotating deadlifting variations like conventional/sumo/snatch grip, in that it keeps your body from totally adapting to the movement and is something slightly new.

Overall, a very nice article. This was the type of thing I would've liked to read when I first started squatting.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slone said:
In this article: http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_149squat
Dave Tate says "You must also keep the shoulder blades pulled together with your elbows pulled forward. This will create the much needed upper back tightness to keep the barbell in proper position. Remember, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, so you must keep the barbell in the proper path.

When your elbows turn out toward the back, the bar will drift forward again and end up stapling you to the floor as well as ripping your head off. This is one common mistake I see in all my seminars. When I ask attendees who taught them to squat with their elbows back, nine out of ten times they say, "My coach." This is another example of those who think they know how to squat not knowingsquat!"

15. Hips Move First. Think sitting back on your toilet:

Squatting down: hips go back
Squatting up: hips go forward
Up or down: the hips move first.

I always think of sitting back on a toilet when I squat. Box squats help some with this as well. My nitpick is about moving your hips first when going up. From the same article:

"As a side note, what's the last thing to move when you squat? It would be your head. So what should be the first thing to move when coming out of the hole? You got it, your head. This only makes perfect sense. You have to think about driving your back and head into the bar first during the assent. We tell our lifters the chest and head should always be first. You're trying to raise the bar, so move it first! If the quads flex first, the hips will rise before the bar and force the barbell forward."

11. Feet Stance. Your heels should be shoulder-width apart. Important for proper Squat depth.

I don't feel that it is necessary to always have your feet the same distance apart. I occasionally vary my stance from maybe 2 inches more than shoulder width to several inches wider than shoulder width to have a slightly different motion. My rationale is similar to rotating deadlifting variations like conventional/sumo/snatch grip, in that it keeps your body from totally adapting to the movement and is something slightly new.

Overall, a very nice article. This was the type of thing I would've liked to read when I first started squatting.

I like you're input Slone.

I know Dave Tate's article. He obviously knows what he writes about. Some things:

I agree with upper back tight/shoulder blades together. But I don't see how the bar can move if the chest is up/shoulders back/bar on place/elbows forward.
The problem with moving the elbows forward, is that the bar ends up being supported on the wrist. Ironically, Dave Tate is a powerlifter & wears wrist wraps.
Btw, first time I read that article, I swithed from elbows back to elbows forward. I started getting elbows strain at the same time. Shifted the elbows back again: it disappeared. Maybe it's just me.

Slone

Don Juan
Reaction score
My elbow position was never really an issue for me while squatting. I had more problems with leaning too far forward and sort of "good-morning"-ing the weight up, where my shoulders would move slower than my hips, and I found that keeping my elbows forward helps me keep my chest up and a straighter back.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Slone said:
My elbow position was never really an issue for me while squatting. I had more problems with leaning too far forward and sort of "good-morning"-ing the weight up, where my shoulders would move slower than my hips, and I found that keeping my elbows forward helps me keep my chest up and a straighter back.
For the goodmorning, I'd advise:
-sit back, stretch the hamstrings
-keep the chest up
-stretch the hamstrings more

Elbow strain is common amongst squatters.

Whatever works for you of course.

healingtouch

Reaction score
The effort that I made to get aware of the things that are required to be known as safeguard measures is now seeming to get fruitful. I had this in my mind i.e. I had the intend to perform squatting in the most safe possible way, now with such a handy article I am sure if I perform them keeping these points in mind I am hardly vulnerable to any form of injuries at all. And at the same time my technique would also improve every time.