2012 Reasons You Are Safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As a chronic skeptic of flimsy unsubstantiated claims ranging from ghosts, "lost" continents, and UFOs to wild-eyed conspiracy theories, I take a lot of flack. (P.S. Yes, Roswell was a cover-up, but a really really boring one and one without Marvin the Martian)(Drat!). Most people easily and readily see the lack of credibility in most paranormal and whacky claims, except for when you hit upon their cherished misguided belief; human rationality hardly consistently lives up to its namesake. In terms of "noise," the one misbelief which seems to be gaining the most momentum in publicity, for now, is that the world will end in December 2012. The idea is false enough but what's curious is the methodology which in a slippery slope leads these people to the patently wrong conclusion. (Oh yes, how smug am I in my "arrogance".)

First, there is argument from antiquity. In the bizarre world of paranormal claims, the longevity of a belief is credited to the veracity of the claim. I suppose there is some truth to the saying that the more times you repeat a certain lie then the more convinced people will be it's true (an irony lost upon conspiracy theorists).

Secondly and in tangent with arguing from antiquity, there comes the notion humanity has somehow "lost its way" in terms of placement of values; e.g. emphasis on materialism, being "slaves" to employers and credit card companies, the rise of social isolation in large cities, etcetera. This sentiment is extremely commonplace and arguably has some merit, but the notion is twisted and perverted to where past and ancient, cultures and civilizations, somehow knew more in actual scientific knowledge in particular domains. This method of focusing on the past when the lesser was known, consequently arguing from increasing ignorance, is a perennial theme not only among the paranormal but conspiracy theorism. While the Mayans may have had their moments of brilliance, as did other ancient civilizations, we know more about the universe than they could ever imagine. While knowledge was lost during the Dark Ages, we have more than gained it all back, undoubtedly.

There is a fine balance to be maintained between belief and skepticism. After all, pure skepticism is a myth; advanced far enough, one must be skeptical of their own skepticism. We all must believe in something and skepticism is a method, not a position. (Hence, the misnomer of "Oh, you're a skeptic".) But this next method is the suspension of disbelief. The suspension of disbelief is a fantastic element of film and literature, but, for reality sake, all ideas are not equally valid. (Or else it would be equally valid an idea ideas are not equally valid). I love open-mindedness and praise it as virtuous, but ideas can be said to have different weights and one should not be so open-minded as to consider all ideas. There is that wealth of existing knowledge and experience which guides us which ideas are potentially viable and which can be dismissed out of hand. Interestingly, the few people whom I have come across, in real life, who espouse the 2012 nonsense have been surprisingly bright individuals but with an "anything goes" mentality. They know more about eastern philosophy than I ever will. In matters of fairness, people may be free to believe whatever they want, but the same does not hold in matters of correctness.

In closing,
penkitten once said:
This is what Giovanni Casanova had to say. The Mayans made the longest calendar ever, but what happens when our calendar runs out? Do we die? No, we go out and buy a new calendar.
On a similar notion, in 1999 the planets all aligned in a straight line and "ancient prophecies" pegged catastrophic gloom and doom, that the magnetic fields would combine into a caldron of disaster. Um, no. We're still here.

(P.S. I won't entertain any replies about whether the world will end in 2012. This mini-essay concerns the thought processes of believers and will consider any "...But the world will end!" replies as baiting.)

Aboleo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I do not believe in prophecy, but at the same time I do not believe that things can go on much longer the way they have. Constant change is the nature of existence. Civilization will collapse. It is inevitable... look at the great societies throughtout all of history.

Are we safe? No. Never. But hey, you gotta' risk your life to live it, so it really doesn't matter anyway. ;)

Last edited:

Mctwist4

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I couldn't have said it better myself. This should put a lot of people who are susceptible to this type of garbage at rest. Although it makes for interesting fiction, the end of the world is a scary thought for someone who actually believes the mayans new "something". I would not be suprised if a lot of those types of people are hanging around sosuave...

MikeYikes122

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know if they are going to trigger the end of the world, but I have a good feeling all these Scientologists are going to do something insane in the near future. Just out of pure curiosity I've been researching Scientology the past couple of days, and I have read about some mind-boggling things. I don't want to take this thread too far off-topic, so I won't list them.

As far as I can tell, Scientology isn't a religion, it's a cult whose governing body has serious commercial and profit aspirations. There is all sorts of controversy surrounding their practices, and whenever someone rises up and challenges them, that individual is usually sued or arrested on bogus charges.

The South Park episode isn't exaggerated at all. These people aren't just nuts, they are devious and conspiring.

Cruise isn't the only one who is completely out of his mind.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good writing, hard to disagree.

I pose this question to you though...

Who are you to tell people what to believe and what not to? You're human like the rest of us and the universe is so vast that none of us really truly know anything for certain.

From my own belief system, I think it's wrong to attack someones beliefs when deep down... I really do not know for a fact that I'm right.

All your essays seem to be pretty much the same, there a reason for that?

Mr. Unique

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Whats with you and all these anti-paranormal threads?

I am atheist as well, and I think religion is BS, but I will tell you one thing, Im not sure. I have met some of the most sanest honest people like my mother and sister who have said they have had paranormal encounters, and do I believe them?
I can't come to the conclusions that what they have seen (ghost) is just that, but I do have an open mind and say it is a possibile that what they have experienced is real. I don't belive in the world coming to an end in 2012, I think it is absurd to think that it will, but who the **** reallly knows!!??.

if your gonna try to impress people with your fancy richard dawkins like essay atleast prove something :D

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lots of deep thought went into this thread before you ever made it...

i would like to add that every single generation of people since at least the time that jesus died, thought they would live to see the end of the world.
they were all wrong.
someday there will be an end to our world, whether you believe the world will blow up or dissolve or that jesus will come and take us all away or some fancy alien story.

we should all be ready for it , just in case... HOWEVER no one knows when that day may come. i hope it is not in the lifetime of my children.
religious people will tell you, that in the bible , over and over it is written that jesus will come back again one day, however no one knows the day except for he and the father.
with that said, all you can do, is prepare yourself just in case.

Aboleo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
penkitten said:
...every single generation of people since at least the time that jesus died, thought they would live to see the end of the world. They were all wrong.
Yamamoto Tsunetomo talked alot about the 'end times' being near in the book "Hagakure", a collection of 'warrior code' commentaries compiled in 1716. If you think about it, he was probably right. If you followed Bushido, it was the end of the world. When was the last time you saw a Samurai warrior walking down the street?

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Aboleo said:
Yamamoto Tsunetomo talked alot about the 'end times' being near in the book "Hagakure", a collection of 'warrior code' commentaries compiled in 1716. If you think about it, he was probably right. If you followed Bushido, it was the end of the world. When was the last time you saw a Samurai warrior walking down the street?
i rekkon the last time i saw a bunch of pirates...

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
MikeYikes122 said:
I don't know if they are going to trigger the end of the world, but I have a good feeling all these Scientologists are going to do something insane in the near future. Just out of pure curiosity I've been researching Scientology the past couple of days, and I have read about some mind-boggling things. I don't want to take this thread too far off-topic, so I won't list them.

As far as I can tell, Scientology isn't a religion, it's a cult whose governing body has serious commercial and profit aspirations. There is all sorts of controversy surrounding their practices, and whenever someone rises up and challenges them, that individual is usually sued or arrested on bogus charges.

The South Park episode isn't exaggerated at all. These people aren't just nuts, they are devious and conspiring.

Cruise isn't the only one who is completely out of his mind.
Sometimes the wisest things said come from children. Even the ones cut out from cardboard . . .

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
According to polls, millions of people in the U.S. have experienced alien encounters. Do you really think they're all just crazy?

thatguyjamalx

Don Juan
Reaction score
I never really got into the whole ufo's, ghosts, Britney Spears, Quantum Physics and the end of the world stuff. I think that as a conscious race, (although we sometimes are a super-unconscious race of mammals) we determine our own fate, manifest destiny if you will.(I don't know if this relates to the end of the world and such, but it's an interesting thing on the list of interesting things that have happened to me so I thought I'd put it out there.)

Anyways back in 2004 someone at college introduced me to a person (their cousin) who came forward as a witness in the so called Disclosure Project. He was an ex Nasa contracted employee who worked in series of teams at JPL (Jet Propulsion Lab) that was part of an even bigger team, and that they as individual teams (never knowing what the other teams were doing) were digitally mapping certain sections of the terrain of mars as part of the Sojourner mars rover back in 1997.

So one day when they were having lunch in the lunch room one day, his fellow work colleague came up to him and said that he had just advised and assisted his work team to air brush out and digitally remove artifacts and ruins of some sort of huge ancient structure to make it look like nothing was ever there. Yeah right I was saying at this point.

Anyways he went on to say that his testimony, along with the testimonies of over 400 ex military, private contractors for the Department of Defense and high ranking government officials along with sworn affidavits provided to congress (which were subsequently ignored due to 9/11) can prove that the U.S government were keeping something hidden.

I found his story weird to say the least, I asked him if he was high, he said he wasn't.

In all truth he seems like a decent, down to earth, trustworthy human being who was just calling it like he saw it. He wasn't making profit off his claims, didn't write a book, wasn't doing interviews for money, wasn't yelling for attention, didn't have his own web page screaming at the government to tell the world the 'truth', as a matter of fact he was actually being hindered by his allegations. He wasn't able to find stable work, his college and work history had been tampered with, he is never allowed to work for the government in the public sector ever again, and he was saying that it has ruined his marriage as well as his life, and that he wished he had never come forward in the first place.

After dwelling on this evening I spent with this guy(Christmas in Sydney) over the last couple of years I had an epiphany, The more you think you know about everything, the more you realize, that you know nothing about anything.
So yeah, there it is. I now read about Quantum physics, u.f.o's, paranormal stuff and sometimes Britney(show us your pvssy again) Spears.

O.k posters, flame on.

Señor Fingers

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What most folks don't know is that the Mayans had several different calendars to measure different lengths of time. Their "Long Count" calendar spans over 5,000 years and ends on the winter solstice of 2012. People misinterpret this as the end of the world because quite frankly, they are morons.. it makes about as much sense as thinking time has stopped because your watch died :p.

Some interesting hypothesis out there for this controversial year though

• A radical shift in consciousness
• The end of linear time
• Reversal of the earths magnetic field (happens every 700,000 years)
• Solar maximum predicted
• Human beings with special powers emerge
• Massive shift in world power
• End of paper currency

All fascinating stuff, but please forgive my yawning.. I'm, still reeling from the terrible impact of everything that did not happen in 2000.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
Damnit. I thought for sure it was true because it was on The History Channel.

Oh well, I suppose something else will be my demise. Perhaps I'll wait for my seat on the next comet?

Aboleo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Obsidian said:
According to polls, millions of people in the U.S. have experienced alien encounters. Do you really think they're all just crazy?
Benjamin Disraeli said:
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I'm not trying to undermine the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, but if they came here why would they only visit indivduals who are either alone, or in small groups rather than say... set their ship down right in the middle of times square and appear on live, world-wide television?-- If they've been watching the History channel, they must know that we are on to them!:D

Next comes the conspiracy theory about how 'they' are out to 'get' us. :rolleyes:

Take a job working in security and you'll realize just how many crazy people there are in the world.:nervous:

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're gonna die, die with your boots on,..

Ever onward

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As a chronic skeptic of flimsy unsubstantiated claims ranging from ghosts, "lost" continents, and UFOs to wild-eyed conspiracy theories, I take a lot of flack.
All your essay writing is fine and dandy and would explain it all away except for the fact that I've actually seen a ghost, up close and in person.

Does it make you feel above others to write these long, drawn out essays that explain why what others believe (and know) is wrong and what you say and believe is correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.