The food is making us fat in the USA

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never heard any social media hustlers talk about seed oils. I've heard many MD's talk about it including Dr Chris Knobbe, Dr Paul Saladino, Dr Paul Mason, Dr Layne Norton.
Goes on to directly cite social media hustlers…

“Seed oils” are bad in the sense that you shouldn’t be eating anything fried from a restaurant because you don’t know the oil quality or if it is being reused.

“Seed oils” if you’re referring to the vegetable oils bought in the store, they are proven to be beneficial to your bloodwork when used in place of animal fat and tropical oils.

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I make my own. Happy to post the recipes. I use 2 lbs of grass fed beef and a dehydrator. The GF is also hooked.

NESCO FD-75A Snackmaster Pro Food Dehydrator, For Snacks, Fruit, Beef Jerky, Gray

Nesco Jumbo Works Beef Jerky kit

Some recipes:
Ingredients
  • 1 ½ pounds
    Flank Steak - thinly sliced
  • 1 tablespoon
    Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt (or 1/2 tablespoon of any other salt)
  • ½ teaspoon
    Black Pepper
  • 1 tablespoon
    Garlic Powder
  • 1 tablespoon
    Chili Powder

# 2

Ingredients
  • 3 pounds
    London Broil
  • 2 cups
    Pineapple Juice
  • 1 cup
    Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 6 ounces
    Coconut Aminos
  • 2 ounces
    Lemon Juice
  • 1 teaspoon
    Paprika
  • 2 tablespoons
    Smoked Salt
  • 1 teaspoon
    Black Pepper
  • 1 teaspoon
    Ground Ginger
  • 1 teaspoon
    Onion Powder
  • 1 teaspoon
    Garlic Powder
  • 1 teaspoon
    Chili Powder

# 3

Ingredients
  • 1 pound
    Flank Steak - thinly sliced into strips
  • ¼ cup
    Coconut Aminos
  • ½ tablespoon
    Worcestershire Sauce
  • 1 teaspoon
    Garlic Powder
  • 1 teaspoon
    Onion Powder
  • 1 teaspoon
    Sea Salt
  • 1 teaspoon
    Black Pepper
  • 1 tablespoon
    Monk Fruit or Allulose
  • ½ teaspoon
    Red Pepper Flakes

If you do not want to go through the whole cutting game, you can also just use grass fed ground beef, combine all the ingredients, marinate and place in the Jerky gun. Still tastes great; much faster too.
Thanks man

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
As a foodie in the US and one of the older members here that still has a decent physique, I'll just say it boils down to choices and habits.

Like already stated, processed, premade, and fast food made by corporations that care only about profit, fill these foods with everything that will make them taste good and sell. (salt, sugar, oils, artificial flavorings & preservatives) Living in a city known for having an agenda against fast food franchises it's been easy to eat out at independent restaurants that have to care about the quality & integrity of their product. I have a weakness for a good cheesesteak and fried chicken every once in a while but I don't weigh a ton cause I don't frequent KFC or BurgerKing/MC'D and go to reputable local shops instead. Otherwise I'll make my own food, plus I'm a fisherman that catches my own seafood, a large part of my diet.

As for habits, much of USA is sedentary watching too much TV & video gaming and consuming these toxic foods, and seeing more advertising of them, so it becomes a vicious cycle. I don't do vid games, watch little TV, and spend most of my time playing music, fishing, women, and it paid off, especially as I'm getting older being active has really helped.

We all have these choices, grab some fast food, a frozen dinner, or take the time to cook (or learn how). Watch your favorite TV show, play the latest video game after a meal, or do something active. Makes all the difference in the world.

OP there are some good points you make but don't kid yourself about some of these things or come to false conclusions.
- Losing weight while on vacation is actually fairly common as you tend to be more active doings things while there, and traveling itself burns calories. Not to mention if you visit somewhere with a warm climate that encourages sweating and burning fat.
- RE:Baklava - I'm Greek, have made it many times, and it's actually mostly nuts and phyllo with a sugar/honey syrup. Nowhere close to being as fattening as something like ice cream or fast food.

Obee1

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've never heard any social media hustlers talk about seed oils. I've heard many MD's talk about it including Dr Chris Knobbe, Dr Paul Saladino, Dr Paul Mason, Dr Layne Norton. It's pretty self evidently toxic. Olive oil is just squeezed from olives, bam, good to go. Animal fats, same thing. Canola oil has a multi step extraction process in a literal refinery. They heat it to hundreds of degrees (increasing oxidation), bleach it, chemical wash it, tons of other nonsense. How could anything be healthy if it takes so much processing to even be rendered edible? And it's not like there aren't studies showing it's inflammatory effects.

Take a look at this. Vegetable oils were originally created to be used in machinery and no one ever thought they were fit for human consumption until the lobbying took place.

I think seed oils have a role to play. Knowing correlation doesn't equal causation we still shouldn't ignore that our rate of obesity correlates with our consumption of seed oil. Specifically linoleic acid which is a type of omega 6. We do need omega 6s but our bodies aren't designed to handle the amounts we are taking in. We take in 8x what we did before Crisco came out. I think some food engineers have used science for evil reasons and have perfected what makes hyperpalatable food. It's usually a combination of fat and carb. Researchers have found that linoleic acid activates the cannabinoid system by way of the CB1 receptor that interferes with hunger signals (leptin maybe). This is the same receptor activated when smoking weed that causes the munchies. I saw one study of mice. One group regular mouse chow, the other mouse chow with 8x the amount of linoleic acid. All were given the same 24/7 access to food. The linoleic acid group consumed 18% more calories and weighed 20% more than the low linoleic acid group. They posit that the linoleic acid group activated the CB1 receptor and they weren't getting the signal they had enough.

Attachments

FlexpertHamilton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Goes on to directly cite social media hustlers…

“Seed oils” are bad in the sense that you shouldn’t be eating anything fried from a restaurant because you don’t know the oil quality or if it is being reused.

“Seed oils” if you’re referring to the vegetable oils bought in the store, they are proven to be beneficial to your bloodwork when used in place of animal fat and tropical oils.
MDs who use social media are hustlers? An "influencer" in my eyes is someone who blindly promotes whatever affiliate program they're with no actual credentials besides clout. Why are MDs less trustworthy just because they have social media? Where else we even get the information from besides substack? It's not like journalists/reporters are going to tell us anything.

The problem here is most of our food science is just bad. It's based on epidemiology studies which are fundamentally flawed. I remain convinced the west has no idea what they're talking about because there's no other explaination why our country is obese, diabetic, dying of heart attacks at such a high rate. People have been following poor data (and you gotta ask, who's funding these studies?) for decades and it doesn't seem like we're getting any better as a country.

Watch this next time you have some free time and tell me it's not at least alarming and we do not know anything.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi ManFromTarturas,
" Otherwise I'll make my own food, plus I'm a fisherman that catches my own seafood, a large part of my diet. ".....From my observations of People I would predict that you will make old bones!

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi ManFromTarturas,
I would predict that you will make old bones!
LOL!!, I had to look that one up. U have to understand mate, most of us Yankees don't speak Aussie.

But Thanks.... or as you say down under ... ?Bless your cotton socks?o_O

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Tarturus,
We say good on 'yer mate,they ought to bottle your blood...But though they took you out of Greece they haven't taken Greece out of you,have they?....You should go back home some time...I have fond memories of the Greek Islands,Crete and Cyprus too...They have a great life style,though lazy and primitive by our Standards....However one of the things that interested me in the rural areas was the number of very,very Old people,all still pottering in their Vegetable Gardens...You might be interested that it used be said that their were more Greeks in Melbourne than in Athens!...In the Old Days Darwin Commerce in the tropical North was dominated by them,nearly all coming from the Island of Cos!

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As a foodie in the US and one of the older members here that still has a decent physique, I'll just say it boils down to choices and habits.

Like already stated, processed, premade, and fast food made by corporations that care only about profit, fill these foods with everything that will make them taste good and sell. (salt, sugar, oils, artificial flavorings & preservatives) Living in a city known for having an agenda against fast food franchises it's been easy to eat out at independent restaurants that have to care about the quality & integrity of their product. I have a weakness for a good cheesesteak and fried chicken every once in a while but I don't weigh a ton cause I don't frequent KFC or BurgerKing/MC'D and go to reputable local shops instead. Otherwise I'll make my own food, plus I'm a fisherman that catches my own seafood, a large part of my diet.

As for habits, much of USA is sedentary watching too much TV & video gaming and consuming these toxic foods, and seeing more advertising of them, so it becomes a vicious cycle. I don't do vid games, watch little TV, and spend most of my time playing music, fishing, women, and it paid off, especially as I'm getting older being active has really helped.

We all have these choices, grab some fast food, a frozen dinner, or take the time to cook (or learn how). Watch your favorite TV show, play the latest video game after a meal, or do something active. Makes all the difference in the world.

OP there are some good points you make but don't kid yourself about some of these things or come to false conclusions.
- Losing weight while on vacation is actually fairly common as you tend to be more active doings things while there, and traveling itself burns calories. Not to mention if you visit somewhere with a warm climate that encourages sweating and burning fat.
- RE:Baklava - I'm Greek, have made it many times, and it's actually mostly nuts and phyllo with a sugar/honey syrup. Nowhere close to being as fattening as something like ice cream or fast food.
Fair enough. I can concede to your points. Hey I saw something about fish having vast amounts of mercury. It was from a MD on the internet with over 1 million subscribers.

He was saying that smaller fish dont have mercury but the bigger ones do. Is this true?

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Fair enough. I can concede to your points. Hey I saw something about fish having vast amounts of mercury. It was from a MD on the internet with over 1 million subscribers.

He was saying that smaller fish dont have mercury but the bigger ones do. Is this true?
Most *ALL* fish from our oceans have contaminants from mercury to plastics but it is very true the larger apex predators accumulate the most. Although I do go for tuna sashimi from time to time, the fish I catch and mostly consume are mid size species from the Pacific (rockfish, Lingcod, Salmon, Halibut) that are studied to have less contamination. I've been on the water since the 80's and have worked as a commercial fisherman so I have had time to learn.

The ones to stay clear of are swordfish, shark, and large tuna that live long and build up the toxins over many years, as they have long lives. Another group of seafood to be careful about is shellfish. Bivalves like clams & oysters filter feed and can accumulate a lot & crabs are scavengers so you can assume they have some bad things in them also. There's a lot of info about this all over the web and on Fish & Game sites to help you choose the best seafood options.

.... and the most toxic seafood in any supermarket or fish market is FARM RAISED fish like Atlantic Salmon and Tilapia. Stay away at all costs.

Hope this helps in your seafood choices.

ManFromTartarus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
...But though they took you out of Greece they haven't taken Greece out of you,have they?....You should go back home some time
My sister is pissed I don't want to go there right now, but I'd rather go to NZ & Australia.
TBH my bucket list trip is to go fishing on the Great Barrier reef out of Cairns.

... and yes I fish & cook Greek food a lot, it's in my blood.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MDs who use social media are hustlers? An "influencer" in my eyes is someone who blindly promotes whatever affiliate program they're with no actual credentials besides clout. Why are MDs less trustworthy just because they have social media? Where else we even get the information from besides substack? It's not like journalists/reporters are going to tell us anything.
What is their MD in?

I am familiar with Mr. Carnivore MD Paul Saladino. Carnivore was cool until his cholesterol skyrocketed to over 600. That was too spooky for even him, so he started adding back in carbs.

Reaction score
To be honest I'm totally with @Manure Spherian here. The broccoli or chicken breast dont magically suck themselves full of poisons when they cross border to US. Also there's no metaphysical metamorphosis happening to those foods that magically changes the macros at the precise moment that the truck is in the customs.

Statistically speaking whole western world is getting fatter and fatter and the main reason is that typical western foods taste too good. Because of this people eat too much of wrong kinds of foods and thus get too much calories. Also sedentary lifestyle makes this much worse. The first law of thermodynamics still holds.

But again nobody here is the statistical AFC, we are all individuals and in the world full of obese people it has been easy to stand out with good physique. And physique that stands out has never been this attainable. The resources and knowledge is freely available for everyone.

Btw it's quite interesting in a few years once we get GLP-1 analogs (eg. Ozempic ) even more widely spread and loosely prescribed. Moderately lean physique stops being such a rare phenomena. Smaller percent of women being obese is quite a nice thing.

Last edited:

Pandora

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To be honest I'm totally with @Manure Spherian here. The broccoli or chicken breast dont magically suck themselves full of poisons when they cross border to US. Also there's no metaphysical metamorphosis happening to those foods that magically changes the macros at the precise moment that the truck is in the customs.

Statistically speaking whole western world is getting fatter and fatter and the main reason is that typical western foods taste too good. Because of this people eat too much of wrong kinds of foods and thus get too much calories. Also sedentary lifestyle makes this much worse. The first law of thermodynamics still holds.

But again nobody here is the statistical AFC, we are all individuals and in the world full of obese people it has been easy to stand out with good physique. And physique that stands out has never been this attainable. The resources and knowledge is freely available for everyone.

Btw it's quite interesting in a few years once we get GLP-1 analogs (eg. Ozempic ) even more widely spread and loosely prescribed. Moderately lean physique stops being such a rare phenomena. Smaller percent of women being obese is quite a nice thing.
The chicken breasts are full of poisons.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi ManFromTarturis,
Cairns is not a bad spot at all,don't go in school Holidays though,but generally not crowded....If you have the Bennies going out to the reef on a hire Boat is well catered for...About four hours down the Coast from me in NSW is a spot called Bermagui,Zane Grey the famous writer of Westerns,had a Holiday Mansion down there because,on a reef quite close in,is some of the finest Marlin Fishing in the World!Good luck!

Manure Spherian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Thank you.

I work in the field of nutrition. It’s my job and was my education.

Re: natty or not mentioned above, being “natty and small” versus “big and ripped and on roids.”

I was under 180 in that pic and weighed 173 onstage at 5’10”, shredded to the bone, and competed in a drug tested (blood and lie-detector), natty organization.

Anyway, one can still be fat on drugs. And plenty of athletes are that.

There is no getting around calories in, calories out!

And if one doesn’t want fillers and undesirable ingredients, buy one-ingredient items. Everyone here knows what they are!

I am not a genetic outlier. I simply have willpower with food and physical activity. My genes likely rank 7 on a 10 scale. And the same likely goes for my attractiveness. I’m “mid” (woe is me).

I looked like skeletor the day before the show, severely depleted of glycogen before carbing over two days. I was so bony and flat in the last six weeks of my prep that my fiancé (now wife) said I felt like a bag of bones while hugging her.

Manure Spherian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeh its a little deceptive to admonish people for being fat if you are on PED's
This is wrong. One can be fat or obese while on PED’s and a chunk of athletes are.

Anyway, no one here is admonishing anyone!

Fat people eat too much, either because they lack willpower or aren’t aware of the caloric amount they consume.

If people don’t have abundance of food, are shamed or moderated for being fat or deemed unfashionable, in nearly all cases won’t be fat. Americans have plenty of food and they aren’t fond of people moderating those who can’t moderate themselves. That goes for slut shaming too.

Manure Spherian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score