Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

People Are So Unaware

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wanted to grab your attention wtih a "what if", but I did not expect you to ignore everything else.

Here's my point: it sounds like you feel disdain for your boss - you look down on him. That attitude is something he can feel, even if you say nothing. Do you agree with that?

The result could be your boss saying he doesn't like your attitude, and then deciding your job performance based on how he feels. And then you literally pay for it - your pay is lower.
Look I can’t change how I see people. I have values and standards. I do respect him (he manages his company well, treats us workers very well, he’s the best boss I’ve ever had tbh) BUT he’s got some ego issues obviously

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what really boils my blood is men too weak to speak the truth for fear of upsetting morons…
Coming at him from this perspective is not going to do anyone any favors.

It depends on what type of relationship you have with your boss, really.

Although, it is difficult for me to work with someone who is a "moron". That's why I've had a lot of jobs and, for better or for worse, I'm self employed and am enjoying the heck out of it....even though I'm not making as much money as I could be.

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Coming at him from this perspective is not going to do anyone any favors.

It depends on what type of relationship you have with your boss, really.

Although, it is difficult for me to work with someone who is a "moron". That's why I've had a lot of jobs and, for better or for worse, I'm self employed and am enjoying the heck out of it....even though I'm not making as much money as I could be.
I was self employed for many years. Same **** tbh. Your customers/clients are your boss. Same sh!t

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Gold is a contentious asset. Even the many qualified money managers I work with disagree. To the extent some would never hold it, others hold 15% in portfolios.

The Gold bug would say that it’s an inflation hedge, and that all monetary debt based systems ultimately reset and gold is robust through these times.

The alternative view is that gold doesn’t produce earnings like a share, and it’s price is just what someone will pay for it.

I like gold as an item and I think it’s prudent to keep some actual krugerands should SHTF.

As an investment I would say hold a little bit ultimately it’s credentials as an inflation hedge are extremely poorly proven. It only really should be a negatively or non correlated place to rebalance profits into. Anyone betting the farm on gold as their main investment - or any non earnings producing asset, is foolish IMO.

The long run chart of gold shows it’s neither an inflation hedge nor a good long term store of value.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
milsurp .308 outperformed gold by a huge margin 2009-2012…

jus’sayin

Gold is a contentious asset. Even the many qualified money managers I work with disagree. To the extent some would never hold it, others hold 15% in portfolios.

The Gold bug would say that it’s an inflation hedge, and that all monetary debt based systems ultimately reset and gold is robust through these times.

The alternative view is that gold doesn’t produce earnings like a share, and it’s price is just what someone will pay for it.

I like gold as an item and I think it’s prudent to keep some actual krugerands should SHTF.

As an investment I would say hold a little bit ultimately it’s credentials as an inflation hedge are extremely poorly proven. It only really should be a negatively or non correlated place to rebalance profits into. Anyone betting the farm on gold as their main investment - or any non earnings producing asset, is foolish IMO.

The long run chart of gold shows it’s neither an inflation hedge nor a good long term store of value.

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

This is a pretty good summary of the attitudes I've seen. Some avoid gold, others want it for emergencies only. The largest allocations tend to be in "permanent portfolio" style investments, where I see it reach 25% sometimes. Not really my thing.

In the 1970s, the gold standard ended / oil crisis / high inflation ... all of which made for stunning returns for gold. In my experience, every investor who loves gold will include 1970s performance. My advice is to ignore the 1970s - we're not leaving the gold standard a second time. Excluding the 1970s cuts the overall performance of gold in half, so keep that in mind.

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was self employed for many years. Same **** tbh. Your customers/clients are your boss. Same sh!t
There's very little self employment where you still don't have to deal with people. The great thing is, you don't have to work with someone who you don't want to. 95% of my clients are great, pleasant, and quite a few turn into return customers and/or give me referrals. I have nixed a few clients, told them "I don't think I'd be the best fit for you/this particular job". It's very freeing.

Man, I've come to realize, you just don't like people and have a difficult time dealing with them in general. Maybe you should save up and buy some land, live off the grid, become a farmer.

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's very little self employment where you still don't have to deal with people. The great thing is, you don't have to work with someone who you don't want to. 95% of my clients are great, pleasant, and quite a few turn into return customers and/or give me referrals. I have nixed a few clients, told them "I don't think I'd be the best fit for you/this particular job". It's very freeing.

Man, I've come to realize, you just don't like people and have a difficult time dealing with them in general. Maybe you should save up and buy some land, live off the grid, become a farmer.
Why do you think I invest my money? I feel like a different species tbh. People are just terrible. I’ve been on the receiving end of more sh!t you can imagine for no good reason.
Additionally, the whole “you get what you give” bs is just that: bs. I’m convinced that saying was invented by predators to keep people easy marks

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
milsurp .308 outperformed gold by a huge margin 2009-2012…

jus’sayin
that’s a rifle round init? You can only access these if you’re in the military here. Either that or feel free to access here if you can do a 5 year stretch at his majesty’s pleasure!

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a pretty good summary of the attitudes I've seen. Some avoid gold, others want it for emergencies only. The largest allocations tend to be in "permanent portfolio" style investments, where I see it reach 25% sometimes. Not really my thing.

In the 1970s, the gold standard ended / oil crisis / high inflation ... all of which made for stunning returns for gold. In my experience, every investor who loves gold will include 1970s performance. My advice is to ignore the 1970s - we're not leaving the gold standard a second time. Excluding the 1970s cuts the overall performance of gold in half, so keep that in mind.
agree 100%

I own a tiny amount but I don’t like it as I like real assets where money is used to generate more.

it sure is purty though. If I won a huge lottery win I would have a room full of it because it’s beautiful. Forged in the heart of a dying star billions of years ago.

Interestingly, as a star collapses it raises in temperature and as it does, it creates elements. Gold is the last element created at the peak of density and heat. It then explodes in a giant supernova which sends lumps through space at rapid speed. These land as meteorites on planets like earth.

God or no God, the universe is a baffling and incredibly cool place. That ring on your finger was made in a star, millions of light years away millions of billions of years ago.

blows your mind.

Or, it was made in 6 days by a magic man.

I do say those who wrote genesis lacked imagination!

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
that’s a rifle round init? You can only access these if you’re in the military here. Either that or feel free to access here if you can do a 5 year stretch at his majesty’s pleasure!
Yep .308 = 7.62 x 56

remember remember the 5th of November!

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the whole “you get what you give” bs is just that: bs. I’m convinced that saying was invented by predators to keep people easy marks
You've probably never heard the saying "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Al Capone

I'm sure you've heard of Jordan Peterson. Have listened to any of his lectures, read any of his books?

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep .308 = 7.62 x 56

remember remember the 5th of November!
we are just fine with our knives. According to the 2A advocates it’s the intention that kills and weapons are just a tool.

i tried this out and challenged a marine to a shoot out with my butter knife. it didnt end well, but the marine was at least able to finish his toast

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You've probably never heard the saying "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Al Capone

I'm sure you've heard of Jordan Peterson. Have listened to any of his lectures, read any of his books?
Jordan Peterson. Don’t get me started. He appeals to young guys who haven’t learned hard lessons in life

as for the Capone quote, yea I’ve heard it. Not sure whatto do with that. Should I just start hitting people or what’s your practical application of such a vague quotation?

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I own a tiny amount but I don’t like it as I like real assets where money is used to generate more.

it sure is purty though. If I won a huge lottery win I would have a room full of it because it’s beautiful. Forged in the heart of a dying star billions of years ago.

Interestingly, as a star collapses it raises in temperature and as it does, it creates elements. Gold is the last element created at the peak of density and heat. It then explodes in a giant supernova which sends lumps through space at rapid speed. These land as meteorites on planets like earth.
Not that anyone asked, but most stars lack the mass needed for that giant supernova explosion.

If by "room full" you mean a ton of gold, that would cost over $50 million USD by itself. Have you considered spending 10,000x less? Buy the "American Eagle 2023 Gold Proof Four-Coin Set" from the U.S. Mint.

People below retirement age benefit from investing in productive assets like index funds that track the US market (and hopefully as much international as can be tolerated). After reaching retirement age, the lack of new money makes preservation of wealth rather important. I'd understand if a younger investor loved the S&P 500 while a retired investor loved treasury bonds.

FlirtLife

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Gold was a very good investment asset from roughly 2001 until 2012/2013. Gold struggled from 2013-2019. It's been volatile since 2019. It's at a high point right now and looks good.
Looking at performance retroactively is flawed. To highlight the problem, Dogecoin gained +2500% in the past 3 years despite being created as a joke. Naming past dates where something had big gains does not retroactively make it a good investment.

I recommend calculating how many years of data someone provides in their examples. The above example uses 21.3 years (2001 - now), which is an odd number of years to pick. When you see that, suspect someone has cherry picked the start date to make their asset look better. By the way, 2001 was the first full year of the dot-com crash, which is also a suspicious starting point.

Consider a more neutral 30 year period from 1993 until 2022, using Portfolio Visualizer to run the calculations :

$10k invested in the US stock market grew to $150k
$10k used to buy gold grew to $51k

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Looking at performance retroactively is flawed. To highlight the problem, Dogecoin gained +2500% in the past 3 years despite being created as a joke. Naming past dates where something had big gains does not retroactively make it a good investment.

I recommend calculating how many years of data someone provides in their examples. The above example uses 21.3 years (2001 - now), which is an odd number of years to pick. When you see that, suspect someone has cherry picked the start date to make their asset look better. By the way, 2001 was the first full year of the dot-com crash, which is also a suspicious starting point.

Consider a more neutral 30 year period from 1993 until 2022, using Portfolio Visualizer to run the calculations :

$10k invested in the US stock market grew to $150k
$10k used to buy gold grew to $51k
It all makes sense when you understand what moves asset prices

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jordan Peterson. Don’t get me started. He appeals to young guys who haven’t learned hard lessons in life
Okay. He actually appeals more to people who have had hard lessons in life and don't know what to do with them IMO.

as for the Capone quote, yea I’ve heard it. Not sure whatto do with that. Should I just start hitting people or what’s your practical application of such a vague quotation?
I don't know. It seemed like you were saying, IRL, you get **** on by everybody because you're nice or something.

To help explain that Capone quote for you: there's a time to be nice and there's a time to hit back.

Anyway, good luck.

SargeMaximus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyway, good luck.
The predictable response of someone who gives advice without knowing what they are getting themselves into after learning more about the situation.
WRT to Jordan Peterson: I can tell you from my experience his advice is level one on maybe 100 levels of life mastery.

Peaks&Valleys

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The predictable response of someone who gives advice without knowing what they are getting themselves into after learning more about the situation.
Hey man. I'm not a therapist obviously. I'll engage and give my $.02 for what that's worth. That's what this forum is for. I've gained a little bit of wisdom through by travels, trials and tribulations. However, if the other person's attitude is of reproach. Then why would someone bother?