Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Marriage proposal - get down on one knee.

BadBoy89

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Forgetting the fact of whether it's good or bad for a man to get married, but if you wanted to propose to a woman, would you get down on one with a ring? Or would you do it some other way?

Personally, if I was going to propose, there is no way in hell I would get down on one knee for a non-virgin, even if she was hot and 23. Buy her a nice ring OK, but I would not get down on one knee.

Thoughts?

Tilex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree
It's a submissive position and makes it look like you are begging to marry her.

I never liked the old cliche idea of doing that, because everyone else is doing it too.
It makes you come across as generic and unoriginal.
Any thing that's overly cliche and used by others many times before is pure conformity.

I live in the United States and personally believe there is absolutely nothing more cliche than a man proposing to a woman at Niagara Falls.
When a couple takes a trip there, a marriage proposal is expected to happen.
For those that are unfamiliar with Niagara Falls, it sits on the border between US & Canada.

Superman II was filmed there

Last edited:

RickTheToad

Reaction score
Forgetting the fact of whether it's good or bad for a man to get married, but if you wanted to propose to a woman, would you get down on one with a ring? Or would you do it some other way?

Personally, if I was going to propose, there is no way in hell I would get down on one knee for a non-virgin, even if she was hot and 23. Buy her a nice ring OK, but I would not get down on one knee.

Thoughts?
No go on the one knee, or would I ask her to marry me. I would make it romanticish, and say let's get married.

Barrister

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My opinion: I don't think it matters. If you are at a point where you are considering proposing, whether you do it on one knee, two knees, or while levitating in the air isn't going to make a difference on the grand scheme of your relationship. If you have maintained proper frame throughout the entire relationship, going down on one knee isn't going to suddenly make her lose respect for you while you offer her a ring.

It's a traditional pose for popping the question. I could see some women, especially for those who have never been married before, wanting the man to go onto one knee for romantic purposes.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
My opinion: I don't think it matters. If you are at a point where you are considering proposing, whether you do it on one knee, two knees, or while levitating in the air isn't going to make a difference on the grand scheme of your relationship. If you have maintained proper frame throughout the entire relationship, going down on one knee isn't going to suddenly make her lose respect for you while you offer her a ring.

It's a traditional pose for popping the question. I could see some women, especially for those who have never been married before, wanting the man to go onto one knee for romantic purposes.
Are their parent's going to pay for the wedding too?

Dr.Suave

Reaction score
Not interested in getting on one knee. Shes gonna say yes anyway.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thoughts?
The idea of a dude buying a ring in secret and surprising the lady is made up by the diamond cartel.

Before they come up with that, would-be couples would buy the ring together, which meant they'd (she'd) budget effectively.

Dudes buying rings on their own spend a lot more money.

So, you're not really kneeling down before her, you're kneeling down to the diamond cartel.

Every other instance, now and in history, of folks kneeling down is submitting to a higher power.

God, liege lord, religious icons, begging somebody for forgiveness, etc.

2Rocky

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seriously though....What is the alternative?

I proposed (in private) without doing the knee bend and she said "yes" without hesitation. I didn't have a ring, and we were young.

That was 25 years ago. Looking back I do feel the occasion does warrant more preparation and performance, so the story is more fun to tell...

Barrister

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are their parent's going to pay for the wedding too?
If you do the traditional on one knee proposal then everything must be traditional is the insinuation? Only get down on one knee if the lady's parents are paying I guess. Okay.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Since none of my relationships have been close to marriage, I’ve never thought much about this. I wouldn’t do the one knee thing. Just doesn’t seem me.

Konada

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Agreed. My philosophy is to pick your battles. Nothing wrong with letting her have her way if I'm already maintaining frame in the relationship the whole time.

To me, you're fighting against years and years of social indoctrination of getting down on one knee. Its an uneccessary potential conflict to be had, best to be avoided because it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of maintaining a healthy relationship.

BadBoy89

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only get down on one knee if the lady's parents are paying I guess. Okay.
That a boy.

If that's the case, I'll get down on both knees.

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Absolutely no knee. That is a posture of submission. It’s probably one of the worst traditions mankind has ever dreamed up, and is a terrible way to start a marriage. I believe it has a negative subconscious effect on the woman to see her man assuming a begging position before her.

I proposed to my wife a couple years ago while sitting on the couch together. She was thrilled and quite surprised. There was no issue with her because I didn’t take the submissive knee.

pipeman84

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No way I would knee. I shudder just to think of it...so cringe. I would have her sit on my lap, taker her face into my hands, look her into the eyes and ask her: would you like to be my fiancee?
Then we go together and buy the engagement ring.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's such horseshiit. I know my closest friend did the one knee thing when he proposed in the mid-2010s. I saw another guy from my local sphere do the one knee thing on some Facebook pics years back.

DoubleBarrel

Banned
Reaction score
I'd do it like Rocky...

"Hey Adrienne, you feel much like marrying me?" nonchalantly and out of the blue, when a conversation went silent.