Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any Psychoanalyst here?

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Have some questions for those in that field.

I started studying it on a institute here, and it seems pretty good so far. But I have some doubts if there is a need to graduate on Psychology before becoming a Psychoanalyst.

I know Freud said that it wasn't necessary and defended that idea, but can I really learn a deep understanding of mind with psychoanalysis and become a good professional?

As it came first than psychology, I have an idea that its possible.

Maybe it was just a belief society created that cant work on mental health without a degree on Psychology.

It seems a field that could give me more sense of purpose rather than working on that corporate world. I was on a situation that I couldnt see meaning on doing what Im doing on my job... And idk if that could a answer, but as I always liked studying our mind and related stuffs, it seems a better way to spend my time in this life.

Steel_Neurons

Don Juan
Reaction score
"I started studying it on a institute here, and it seems pretty good so far. But I have some doubts if there is a need to graduate on Psychology before becoming a Psychoanalyst. I know Freud said that it wasn't necessary and defended that idea,"

If I remember correctly, Freud also wanted psychoanalysts to have medical degrees/be doctors although he dropped that later.

I don't know what the requirements are nowadays, especialy not in Brazil, for being a practicing psychoanalyst. I met a Greman guy who was a psychoanalyst the other year. I don't think he was a doctor or had any other training other than a few years of psychoanalysis.

"but can I really learn a deep understanding of mind with psychoanalysis and become a good professional?"

I don't really understand this question. What's a good professional? I assume you'll be a good psychoanalyst if you complete a course at a decent place of study.

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"I started studying it on a institute here, and it seems pretty good so far. But I have some doubts if there is a need to graduate on Psychology before becoming a Psychoanalyst. I know Freud said that it wasn't necessary and defended that idea,"

If I remember correctly, Freud also wanted psychoanalysts to have medical degrees/be doctors although he dropped that later.

I don't know what the requirements are nowadays, especialy not in Brazil, for being a practicing psychoanalyst. I met a Greman guy who was a psychoanalyst the other year. I don't think he was a doctor or had any other training other than a few years of psychoanalysis.

"but can I really learn a deep understanding of mind with psychoanalysis and become a good professional?"

I don't really understand this question. What's a good professional? I assume you'll be a good psychoanalyst if you complete a course at a decent place of study.
Thanks for your feedback!

Here in Brazil they require at least a master degree in any field... In my case I have it on computer science.

I think about the question of good professional, was more a fear or a pre-conceptualized idea that I could only be a good psychoanalyst if I had a degree in psychology.

As I graduated in the technology area, I would never be seen as a genuine professional because I was not trained in this area. As if training in psychoanalysis was not enough.

I don't know if I managed to explain it well, but I believe that this is a fear that I cannot understand correctly.

Steel_Neurons

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think about the question of good professional, was more a fear or a pre-conceptualized idea that I could only be a good psychoanalyst if I had a degree in psychology.

As I graduated in the technology area, I would never be seen as a genuine professional because I was not trained in this area. As if training in psychoanalysis was not enough.
I don't know about current psychology degrees, but a lot of stuff you would have done in the past would be irrelevant to being a psychoanalyst, especially in a science/BSc psychology undergrad degree.

I assume relevant overlap would occur in your course and an undergrad psych degree: e.g. Bowlby and attachment theory and more recent developments.

How are you planning to work as a psychoanalyst? Who are you planning to work for? I'm assuming you're doing a decent course that allows you membership to a decent psychoanalysis body/organisation?

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Apparently, it looks like a good course. The founder of the institute, which is Brazilian, proved to have a very interesting base on psychoanalysis.

Of the institutes I looked for here in Brazil, this was the one I liked the most. Obviously, it was not the most expensive, but I would say it would be there in the middle.

There was another one indicated by a friend, but the way they studied it in relation to the value I found a little strange. It would be one lesson per month worth $ 300 reais a month. Despite being a full day of school, it would only be 8 hours a month.

In this institute that I am doing, I need to dedicate 8 to 10 hours a week, that is, I can dedicate more hours per month for my studies. In addition to online classes, they do live seminars almost every weekend with different topics from psychoanalysis. I've already seen some previous ones that were recorded and found the content quite decent.

Despite being at the very beginning of the training, my intention initially would be to focus on clinical care focused on people who have suffered narcissistic or similar abuse. As it was something I experienced in my life and I have been treating and getting a deep understanding for 9 years or so, it was something that brought me a certain purpose in life.

EDIT: not saying or diagnosing the situation I was on as a Narcissistic abuse... Just for what I've learned and observed it seems to be very similar to that. But in no way I have the right to accuse or afirm that.

Furthermore, there is something that always reminds me when I think about the question: how would I like to go through this existence? And the idea of just working at a job or doing something that doesn’t contribute to the evolution of human beings, or that has a deeper meaning ... Not just linked to a search for material goods (not that I see money as a problem ), but rather something that gives meaning to my life and that I am only able to discover and see now.

1 year ago I left all this abusive situation behind with my father and started my life over from scratch ... In this time I am managing to heal little by little and I think that for the first time in 29 years, I am finally discovering who I am.

I believe that with Psychoanalysis, this will be an even more profound adventure.

Last edited:

Steel_Neurons

Don Juan
Reaction score
Apparently, it looks like a good course. The founder of the institute, which is Brazilian, proved to have a very interesting base on psychoanalysis.

Of the institutes I looked for here in Brazil, this was the one I liked the most. Obviously, it was not the most expensive, but I would say it would be there in the middle.

There was another one indicated by a friend, but the way they studied it in relation to the value I found a little strange. It would be one lesson per month worth $ 300 reais a month. Despite being a full day of school, it would only be 8 hours a month.

In this institute that I am doing, I need to dedicate 8 to 10 hours a week, that is, I can dedicate more hours per month for my studies. In addition to online classes, they do live seminars almost every weekend with different topics from psychoanalysis. I've already seen some previous ones that were recorded and found the content quite decent.
This sounds good. Your course sounds much better than the one your friend did. What will you do once you finish the course?

Despite being at the very beginning of the training, my intention initially would be to focus on clinical care focused on people who have suffered narcissistic or similar abuse. As it was something I experienced in my life and I have been treating and getting a deep understanding for 9 years or so, it was something that brought me a certain purpose in life.

EDIT: not saying or diagnosing the situation I was on as a Narcissistic abuse... Just for what I've learned and observed it seems to be very similar to that. But in no way I have the right to accuse or afirm that.
Sounds like a good plan. Your experiences will give you a good insight into helping other people with similar issues.

Furthermore, there is something that always reminds me when I think about the question: how would I like to go through this existence? And the idea of just working at a job or doing something that doesn’t contribute to the evolution of human beings, or that has a deeper meaning ... Not just linked to a search for material goods (not that I see money as a problem ), but rather something that gives meaning to my life and that I am only able to discover and see now.
That's fair enough. There's no reason why you shouldn't gain both money and satisfaction if things go well.

1 year ago I left all this abusive situation behind with my father and started my life over from scratch ... In this time I am managing to heal little by little and I think that for the first time in 29 years, I am finally discovering who I am.

I believe that with Psychoanalysis, this will be an even more profound adventure.
Sorry to hear that. It's always rough when it comes to family problems like that. I'm glad to hear you're starting to find your feet and make some progress with your new life.

----

To try and answer your original question, I suspect if you just make a random website and try to do psychoanalysis to random people on zoom you might find some people who (mistakenly) think it might be a problem if you don't have a psychology degree. However, I imagine you would be working for an organisation or some kind of collective of psychoanalysts in a reputable building. In that case, I doubt very much your boss would have a problem because they would understand exactly what is involved.

Blacksheep

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This sounds good. Your course sounds much better than the one your friend did. What will you do once you finish the course?

Sounds like a good plan. Your experiences will give you a good insight into helping other people with similar issues.

That's fair enough. There's no reason why you shouldn't gain both money and satisfaction if things go well.

Sorry to hear that. It's always rough when it comes to family problems like that. I'm glad to hear you're starting to find your feet and make some progress with your new life.

----

To try and answer your original question, I suspect if you just make a random website and try to do psychoanalysis to random people on zoom you might find some people who (mistakenly) think it might be a problem if you don't have a psychology degree. However, I imagine you would be working for an organisation or some kind of collective of psychoanalysts in a reputable building. In that case, I doubt very much your boss would have a problem because they would understand exactly what is involved.
Thank you for your feedback man!

First I will have to start some supervisioned attendance, and Im thinking about doing it online, as it seems to be quite popular here nowadays. It will be something about 8 months to complete that supervisioned attendance... So I think it will took me 2 years from now to start really working with that.

Basically I dont want a physical space to work until I decide which town Im moving in. After that I think I would open a place or join some health institute to work there.

I dont know if this place Im studying have somr kind of partnership for that... It seems they have, and if that works I think it would be way easier than working all by myself.

But, with time and experience maybe I can get more respect in that field and wont need to filiate to any institute to get clients.