Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Might have to fight bigger heavier guy

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
What do you think of that youtube video I first posted
You can't watch a video and learn how to fight.

Fighting is a confidence thing. You don't have it from the get go. This is not a hollywood movie. You can't learn from watching a video. If you don't have it, you don't have it. It takes years.

Nah man, you're in USA, California. Fighting is for weaklings. You'll get arrested for assault. He can fight, you get him arrested, that's your plan. Don't be stupid.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you were a d1 collegiate wrestler, I could get you ready enough to win an amateur mma match in about six months, but your striking will still be poor. That is a fight with rules and a ref against someone your own size. You are talking about a no rules fight against a larger opponent, and I'm going to guess that you are no d1 wrestler.

Watching youtube videos and thinking that will teach you how to fight will get you killed. It just doesnt work that way. It takes years of training from a good trainer. There is no substitute.
I agree without exception to this. It just sounded like it was better to sue and get a pay day :)

Depends on your reach. My main goal is to get the dude on the ground or in a head and body lock then to the ground to submit. Do you know how to fight? Watching Youtube videos will not teach you how to fight. It's a mindset. Is there a real MMA place near where you live?
I have some basic moves down from classes I've taken in the past, but I'm no means a fighter nor is it one of my aspirations. I just want to know how to defend myself sufficiently if I am in a rough situation. This guy might have close to 50 pounds on me, maybe I could shoot for his leg though... The youtube video I posted basically shows keeping distance and not really engaging much... I'm just debating what my strategy should be... whether its to do that or just go in swinging. I'm looking for advice as someone who IS NOT A TRAINED FIGHTER.

^^ even still, it would take months and months, the 1st months would be cardio and getting to where you're not getting gassed although most fights end in under 1 minute, not like MMA or boxing professionally. Just fight dirty as fvck if you can't run from the bigger guy. My boxing partner, because I'm big with man-strength I get paired with a 360 lb man just a couple years younger than me. I hold the pads for this fat fvck and I do NOT want to get hit by his boxing-gloved fist much less a bare-knucked uppercut (his strongest punch, he doesn't jab hard at all, but his hooks, uppercuts are hard for me to hold pads properly for him). He wants me to hold the pads close to my face and I'm like what if you miss man. He's like so what? I'm like fvck you! I'm keepin them here away from my face. I don't even wanna get grazed by that fat fvck.
Yeah I'll need to work on my cardio for sure. I'd like to think I'm a good puncher even though heavy bag no hit back lol

You can't watch a video and learn how to fight.

Fighting is a confidence thing. You don't have it from the get go. This is not a hollywood movie. You can't learn from watching a video. If you don't have it, you don't have it. It takes years.

Nah man, you're in USA, California. Fighting is for weaklings. You'll get arrested for assault. He can fight, you get him arrested, that's your plan. Don't be stupid.
I am the type of person that sees fighting as a last resort, so I'm not looking to have this go down... I was just looking for the best approach in case it does... as in he attacks me first. I know I'm not going to become an MMA professional fighter overnight watching youtube videos... I'm looking for some practical advice here... I was curious if you all thought that video I posted is accurate or not.... My thought would be to throw punches instead of trying to back away which seems like it might be counter productive to stepping forward.

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
I'm looking for some practical advice here
3 strikes you out, heard of it?

America is a land of guns, provoke your ass, get attacked, shoot you dead. Self defense.

Get a pepper spray (www.galls.com), or a taser. Call police. That's your defense. Also, there are small body cams nowadays, you can carry it on you at all times, it's unconscious, records video and audio, and cheap because it's made in china.

Grow up.

RickTheToad

Reaction score
I agree without exception to this. It just sounded like it was better to sue and get a pay day :)

I have some basic moves down from classes I've taken in the past, but I'm no means a fighter nor is it one of my aspirations. I just want to know how to defend myself sufficiently if I am in a rough situation. This guy might have close to 50 pounds on me, maybe I could shoot for his leg though... The youtube video I posted basically shows keeping distance and not really engaging much... I'm just debating what my strategy should be... whether its to do that or just go in swinging. I'm looking for advice as someone who IS NOT A TRAINED FIGHTER.

Yeah I'll need to work on my cardio for sure. I'd like to think I'm a good puncher even though heavy bag no hit back lol

I am the type of person that sees fighting as a last resort, so I'm not looking to have this go down... I was just looking for the best approach in case it does... as in he attacks me first. I know I'm not going to become an MMA professional fighter overnight watching youtube videos... I'm looking for some practical advice here... I was curious if you all thought that video I posted is accurate or not.... My thought would be to throw punches instead of trying to back away which seems like it might be counter productive to stepping forward.
I suggest you avoid the situation until you can handle yourself with some defense. It's safer... for you.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah I'll need to work on my cardio for sure. I'd like to think I'm a good puncher.. I'm looking for some practical advice here... My thought would be to throw punches instead of trying to back away which seems like it might be counter productive to stepping forward.
Get two pairs of 16 ounce boxing gloves and a buddy, and just try whatever you had in mind. You're not going to hurt each other with training gloves on, as long as you practice on grass where you can't fall and hit your head. You are likely to find that your footwork is all over the place and your balance is poor. Most untrained people take two swings, and a gust of wind would knock them over, they become so far off balance. Learning basic footwork goes a long way. Your fists can't do much without your feet in the correct position.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get two pairs of 16 ounce boxing gloves and a buddy, and just try whatever you had in mind. You're not going to hurt each other with training gloves on, as long as you practice on grass where you can't fall and hit your head. You are likely to find that your footwork is all over the place and your balance is poor. Most untrained people take two swings, and a gust of wind would knock them over, they become so far off balance. Learning basic footwork goes a long way. Your fists can't do much without your feet in the correct position.
Yeah that's a sound plan. I do practice footwork on my own, but more boxing footwork (feet at 45 degree angles for balance) than MMA. I don't know if it will serve me well against someone proficient at kicking, though this guy certainly doesn't seem to fit that build.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah that's a sound plan. I do practice footwork on my own, but more boxing footwork (feet at 45 degree angles for balance) than MMA. I don't know if it will serve me well against someone proficient at kicking, though this guy certainly doesn't seem to fit that build.
I know what you mean about 45 degree angle on the feet. I see that a lot in boxing. But fwiw there are no takedowns in boxing. I was taught an mma stance similar to wrestling, where both toes point forward, and you try to stay on the balls of your feet. It is easier to avoid takedowns and also to use that back leg to kick.

All martial arts and fight sports are controlled contests with rules, and what we see from fighters is greatly influenced by those rules. For example, the clinch is a staple of Muay Thai kickboxing, and part of what makes the sport fun to watch. But takedowns are not allowed. Clinch a guy on the street to throw knees, and he will probably just throw you down onto the pavement.

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i love travs video awesome dude good cause report back here when done hope fully you wont get arested

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know what you mean about 45 degree angle on the feet. I see that a lot in boxing. But fwiw there are no takedowns in boxing. I was taught an mma stance similar to wrestling, where both toes point forward, and you try to stay on the balls of your feet. It is easier to avoid takedowns and also to use that back leg to kick.

All martial arts and fight sports are controlled contests with rules, and what we see from fighters is greatly influenced by those rules. For example, the clinch is a staple of Muay Thai kickboxing, and part of what makes the sport fun to watch. But takedowns are not allowed. Clinch a guy on the street to throw knees, and he will probably just throw you down onto the pavement.
I took some boxing classes a while back and I remember the stance was the first thing they showed me. They had me stand with my feet straight and pushed me which naturally knocked my off balance. Then they had me stand with my feet at 45 degree angles and pushed me and I kept balance a lot better. It also puts your body on an angle so there's less of a target.. So I have naturally have been doing this when I shadow box... But I think if someone kicks or wrestles as you say maybe its not so good?

Do you think sprawling is the best take down defense?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I took some boxing classes a while back and I remember the stance was the first thing they showed me. They had me stand with my feet straight and pushed me which naturally knocked my off balance. Then they had me stand with my feet at 45 degree angles and pushed me and I kept balance a lot better. It also puts your body on an angle so there's less of a target.. So I have naturally have been doing this when I shadow box... But I think if someone kicks or wrestles as you say maybe its not so good?

Do you think sprawling is the best take down defense?
About boxing, once again, it's a sport, so the moves that a stance gives up are not apparent. Try to throw a kick with that back leg with the foot at a 45. It's not going to happen, because your hips are turned the wrong direction. I have long legs and kick a lot. I like the reach advantage and would not want to give that up. Another thing about turning your hips like that in the 45 foot stance, you are already turned a little sideways. It makes it much easier to take your back with an arm drag or even just slipping a punch. In a boxing match, you just get reset, but if choking is legal, you are probably done as soon as someone who knows what they are doing gets your back and sets a rear naked choke.

About takedowns, sprawls are a wrestling match move meant for a mat. I've never tried one on pavement, but it does not sound like fun. Grappling is largely about posture. Watch a D1 wrestler land a takedown and note the nearly vertical spine and head. They make it look easy. In real life, people either football tackle or usually just bend at the waist and grab at your legs. Either way, their head is down. Push the back of their head, and their body will follow. That is why the good wrestler works on posture, so that easy tricks like pushing the head don't work nearly as well.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
About boxing, once again, it's a sport, so the moves that a stance gives up are not apparent. Try to throw a kick with that back leg with the foot at a 45. It's not going to happen, because your hips are turned the wrong direction. I have long legs and kick a lot. I like the reach advantage and would not want to give that up. Another thing about turning your hips like that in the 45 foot stance, you are already turned a little sideways. It makes it much easier to take your back with an arm drag or even just slipping a punch. In a boxing match, you just get reset, but if choking is legal, you are probably done as soon as someone who knows what they are doing gets your back and sets a rear naked choke.

About takedowns, sprawls are a wrestling match move meant for a mat. I've never tried one on pavement, but it does not sound like fun. Grappling is largely about posture. Watch a D1 wrestler land a takedown and note the nearly vertical spine and head. They make it look easy. In real life, people either football tackle or usually just bend at the waist and grab at your legs. Either way, their head is down. Push the back of their head, and their body will follow. That is why the good wrestler works on posture, so that easy tricks like pushing the head don't work nearly as well.
Good points about the stance. Do you pivot when you throw kicks though? I just tried throwing a snap kick from the 45 degree stance and I was able to get a good pivot with my other leg. Although the trade off is the delay of kick execution.

I guess sprawling sucks in a street fight because you're touching a hard surface... but what other alternatives are there?

Do agree with Rogan that a combination of boxing and wrestling would be best served in a street fight?

lamath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive never thrown a puch in my life, but i use to fight/wrestle alot withmy friend when i was younger.
The few fight i had i won withour punching because i was the stronger guy by getting the other guy on the ground, so imo keep your distance and dont let him grab you or push you to the ground.

Speed and being ruthless is the anwser

jimmy_scandal

Banned
Reaction score
LOL, everyone on this forum looks 20 years younger than their age and is a current or former MMA champ.

What are the chances?

jimmy_scandal

Banned
Reaction score
Everybody on this forum is a combination of Benjamin Button, Zoolander and Tyson Fury all rolled into one.

And here I am trying to lose 10 pounds by the end of the year lol.

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Congrads. Fighting is dangerous, you can be killed, or you can kill. I'm 5'11 and this dude 6'4 last sunday shoulder bumped me in front of other 3 people in a place where this kind of sht isn't done. I told him to watch it. Then later than evening when I and my buddy was drunk they refused to serve us in his cafe. I went outside and cut all 4 of his tires on his car. If we fight, he'd kill me. But I'm not sweating over sht like that. Anyway, I was drunk, next morning I got a call, I did not appologize, we agreed to a sum of money throuhg a different dude. I send half the money and I'm waiting for the other half, not sending it yet. Because I don't have it. It's a small sum, less than $180. Car is sht tires are cheap. So all this week that 5 year old big guy was calling me, where is my money. When he started to get ahole, I told him fck you. I know that you smoke weed, and I am going to file a complaint with police about it. This is jail time or pay big money time. He already gave his car to police 3 years ago so he wouldn't go to prison. Time to repeat it. I told him, you'd get your money, but fck you, you, you will have this problem.

I'm not even sweating it. Because I know that he knows that I know he will go to prison or have to pay a sht load of money for the week. That's besides if he touches me he'd go to prison. That's besides the fact that I will probably cut him up with that same knife I cut his tires with.

That dude apperantly wasn't able to drive his car for a week, cuz his business isn't profitable and he don't have money to buy tires. I'm laughing my ass off. I'm might even not send him 2nd half, fck him.

you got not strategy.

Just like that big dude has no strategy except make it appear how big he is and people should fear him. Until the time I told him to fck off he thought it worked. Now he is afraid of me. He is broke, and if cops come and he has to pee pee for week he will be even more broke or he'd go to prison, loose his driver license and have a sht load of problems. He won't touch me either, cuz he realizes that I will call police and he'd go to prison.....and if I didn't write to police for week yet, then I would..

I CUT HIS TIRES

Yes it is a crime.
No wonder you're always getting into fights. Is it getting you any poontang?