Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Extreme Long Range Precision Shooting

Jager

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Any guys on here, prior military or otherwise that have shot beyond 1000 yards with custom loads, even match grade loads with bullets that have a high BC? Looking at pushing my skills to the next level.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^^ it's not practical in a real-world scenario of defending yourself or your property. Most firefights so 90% take place within 10 feet, if that, so proficiency with handgun is first priority. 2nd priority is proficiency out to 300 yards. You will not be defending your property out to 1000 yards most likely when everything collapses and it will probably before 2030.

rip them off

Banned
Reaction score
if you have any brains, you wont be out and about during daylight hours for at least a year after shtf. All this beyond500m stuff is the bunk, cause it assumes that your target is stupid enough to be out in the open in daylight, and be holding STILL. 500m is a helluva long shot, a luck hit, on a moving man, or one that's using cover. You'd have to be nuts to give up having a sound-suppressed autoloader for a bolt action, in the first place. You have no control over who gets close to you, at night, with such gear and then you wont dare fire at them until they move off by half a mile. You'll be PRAYING that they don't discover you, have no dogs, etc. So it's all just a waste of time and effort. Very few places let you practice at such distances. You have no control whatsoever over wind or mirage, and you can only guess at their effects. Nobody's going to let you have spotter shots without starting to dodge and seek cover.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only people Ive heard of that can hit a target at more than 1000 yards are elite snipers.

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Only people Ive heard of that can hit a target at more than 1000 yards are elite snipers.
with tons of backup, A-10s, food, ammo, choppers, water

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you have any brains, you wont be out and about during daylight hours for at least a year after shtf. All this beyond500m stuff is the bunk, cause it assumes that your target is stupid enough to be out in the open in daylight, and be holding STILL. 500m is a helluva long shot, a luck hit, on a moving man, or one that's using cover. You'd have to be nuts to give up having a sound-suppressed autoloader for a bolt action, in the first place. You have no control over who gets close to you, at night, with such gear and then you wont dare fire at them until they move off by half a mile. You'll be PRAYING that they don't discover you, have no dogs, etc. So it's all just a waste of time and effort. Very few places let you practice at such distances. You have no control whatsoever over wind or mirage, and you can only guess at their effects. Nobody's going to let you have spotter shots without starting to dodge and seek cover.
If they knew i was on my living room couch between 8-10pm and there was a window that i could be seen thru o could be sniped from the nearly 1/2 mile away by these weapons. If i caught onto broken glass with no sound id pull my handgun and not have any idea where i was being fired upon from. Nearly 1/2 mile....

In the following link an Iraqi insurgent was hit from 3500 meters or just over 2 miles.

Julian

Banned
Reaction score
When shtf happens it aint gonna be some small event. Its going to be the welcoming of the antichrist and the introduction of the fullblown beast 666 system. There will be alot of death. ALOT.

Jager

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Guess I’ll be working to that skill level.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Guess I’ll be working to that skill level.
Instinctual more then anything.

I'm still using an old Lee Enfield I inherited, never hit anything at over 1000 yards but at distances of 400-700 yards would be common.

Jager

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Instinctual more then anything.

I'm still using an old Lee Enfield I inherited, never hit anything at over 1000 yards but at distances of 400-700 yards would be common.
.303 is actually a pretty good round. Not as high a BC as I’d like to see, but those rugged combat rifles were well designed. Most had a screw underneath the action for barrel tension to keep the rifle’s harmonics leveled out, so the vibration waves running through the rifle when you fire don’t wreck the accuracy. Trained out to 550-600, myself, when I was in the Corps. Most don’t need a custom bedding with epoxy or fiberglass.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
.303 is actually a pretty good round. Not as high a BC as I’d like to see, but those rugged combat rifles were well designed. Most had a screw underneath the action for barrel tension to keep the rifle’s harmonics leveled out, so the vibration waves running through the rifle when you fire don’t wreck the accuracy. Trained out to 550-600, myself, when I was in the Corps. Most don’t need a custom bedding with epoxy or fiberglass.
Mine is the No. 4 version but I still prefer using my blowpipe.

Silent and it's up close and personal.

sosousage

Banned
Reaction score
Any guys on here, prior military or otherwise that have shot beyond 1000 yards with custom loads, even match grade loads with bullets that have a high BC? Looking at pushing my skills to the next level.
so you play Grand Theft Auto in real life ?

Jager

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
so you play Grand Theft Auto in real life ?
You must be expecting some kind of argument to kick off. I will not help you do that.

Papa_smu

Banned
Reaction score
When I was younger, my dad used to take me out to the range and target shoot. Actually most of my childhood I remember participating in several shooting competitions ranging from small bore to CMP. I was pretty damn good at it, enough that I was about a point away of joining the junior team at one of the universities in my hometown. I got out of it though because it was just not cool at the time. Apparently, you grow out of it.

Long distances target shooting is no joke and requires a lot of skill. Not only do you need to be adept at scoping your rifle but also understanding the proper grain of your round, the effects of gravity and wind speed on the arc of the bullet, and tying all of those together with proper control of your body.

I'm quite fortunate to have the opportunity to participate in the sport. It contributed to my development as a person through discipline and due diligence.