Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Good looking guys here in awesome shape

bigdave17

Banned
Reaction score
A lot of people are leaving out one key explanation that would clear Dave's confusion: single digit bodyfat isn't easy to obtain and isn't sustainable because of what it does to your hormone levels.

If you watch any natural bodybuilder go through their show prep where they get to 6-8% bf, they are extremely drained, low testosterone and VERY irritable. This is why it's unsustainable.

You can do it, but it's not worth it to hold this state for a long time. Its not healthy from a hormonal standpoint. Yes it may LOOK healthy but that's different. Not to mention that the pictures shared that have low bf have a LOT of muscle. You do not. If you were 185 with 8% bf, you would look like a Greek god. But again, this isn't sustainable for hormonal reasons. You need hormone balance to be a functioning human.

Just increase your muscle mass and hold 12%. Sustainable.
guys get to 5 to 6% for contests. nobody is even placing in top 10 over 6% BF

that I agree is not healthy. 9 or 10% is fine. Plenty of people i know maintain 9 or 10% all year round

GrowingPains

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It seems like you have your mind made up about this, Dave. We shared our thoughts.

You can do it if you put the effort in but it will not be easy. You seem to understand that... Somewhat.

What's your question now? Keep in mind there are no absolutes when it comes to biological matters. Some people can hold 9% some can't. So arguing whether it's possible or sustainable is subjective. Just go try it yourself.

Last edited:

jaymbrs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you're not understanding basic laws of science

you do not gain weight unless you eat above maintenance level calories. This rule does not change at 9% BF or 20%. Are you saying its difficult to eat 2500 to 2800 calories?

getting down to 9% is very hard, maintaining is pretty easy
I'm referring to the lifetstyle you have to maintain to stay there. It is difficult. If you find it easy to eat chicken breasts 3 times a day, then good for you.

bigdave17

Banned
Reaction score
I'm referring to the lifetstyle you have to maintain to stay there. It is difficult. If you find it easy to eat chicken breasts 3 times a day, then good for you.

if you eat maintenance level calories, you will not gain weight

maintenance level =amount of calories to stay at current weight

you eat the chicken breasts to get to 9% bf...once you get there, you can ease up quite a bit

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
if you eat maintenance level calories, you will not gain weight

maintenance level =amount of calories to stay at current weight

you eat the chicken breasts to get to 9% bf...once you get there, you can ease up quite a bit
As long as you keep up your exercise regimen to make the calories in vs. calories out, then you are correct. You'll also need to factor in the type of calories and your metabolism as well. But yes, in general with anything, it takes more power to start the jet from idle to lift-off, than to fly it at cruising altitude.

bigdave17

Banned
Reaction score
As long as you keep up your exercise regimen to make the calories in vs. calories out, then you are correct. You'll also need to factor in the type of calories and your metabolism as well. But yes, in general with anything, it takes more power to start the jet from idle to lift-off, than to fly it at cruising altitude.
you can eat complete garbage and maintain 9% bodyfat as long as calories are reasonable

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you can eat complete garbage and maintain 9% bodyfat as long as calories are reasonable
OK, that's twice I've agreed with you, and are still arguing, so troll on pal. Go get you some McDonald's and maintain that body fat :cool:

jaymbrs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OK, that's twice I've agreed with you, and are still arguing, so troll on pal. Go get you some McDonald's and maintain that body fat :cool:
Exactly. You try to help the guy and he turns it around trying to one-up you every time. I've been involved in sports my whole life and in the gym 5 days a week for over 10 years but WTF do I know about dieting and getting in shape. This guy has all the questions and all the answers.

bigdave17

Banned
Reaction score
Exactly. You try to help the guy and he turns it around trying to one-up you every time. I've been involved in sports my whole life and in the gym 5 days a week for over 10 years but WTF do I know about dieting and getting in shape. This guy has all the questions and all the answers.
yet you believe this nonsense that maintaining at 9% bf is any different than 15%

calories in vs calories out dude. Your bf% won't change unless your weight does

Fzatf

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you're not understanding basic laws of science

you do not gain weight unless you eat above maintenance level calories. This rule does not change at 9% BF or 20%. Are you saying its difficult to eat 2500 to 2800 calories?

getting down to 9% is very hard, maintaining is pretty easy
If you plug in 5'10" 30 yo male at 185lb you get 2287 calories for maintenance intake. This is at a sedentary level, but are you going to workout out 7 days a week for those extra 600 calories?

spinich

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
In my opinion, which means little to any one but me, Dave could have the best body in the world and still be a total failure with women. So this entire pissin* contest is a waste of words....like most any conversation in which Dave is involved.

bigdave17

Banned
Reaction score
If you plug in 5'10" 30 yo male at 185lb you get 2287 calories for maintenance intake. This is at a sedentary level, but are you going to workout out 7 days a week for those extra 600 calories?
I'm on my feet a lot at my job also

Machine10033

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think being aesthetically pleasing to a girls eye is much better than being completely shredded. I am 6ft4 and in 2002 I went on a pretty hardcore cut. From a muscular build around 18 percent bodyfat at 250 down to a shredded 190. On my way down girls were all over me at 215-210... and around 12 percent body fat. When I was 190 at 7-8 percent no one paid me any attention. I felt like crap, looked sunken in, my neck was small... shirt off looked awesome but I never want to look or feel like that again.

R

Ranger

not sustainable? where does this nonsense come from?

maintaining at low BF% isn't difficult, all you need to do is eat maintenance level calories (which should be around 2800 calories when you are say 185 lbs @ 9% BF). You're saying it's difficult to stick to 2800 calories a day?

if you eat maintenance level calories, you're never going to gain weight, even if you're 6% BF. This is basic rules of science 101
He’s right. It’s not sustainable. You will suppress your immune system and get sick. Colds. Flu. Bronchitis. Mostly upper respiratory malfunctions.

Your formula of calories in calories out is horribly flawed so it’s not science. Metabolic rate is the functional governor. Your body is a carbon oxygen engine that runs on heat conversion.
It is subject to physics. The theory of the conservation of energy.

The burn rate to reach 9% body fat is not sustainable as the body thinks it’s starving to death. You are in the wrong universe if you think that anything maintains. You are either going up or going down.

R

Ranger

False data. Not science.
Quality of fuel has a direct relationship on burn rates. Sugar versus fat
Two completely different burn rates. Sugar is short and fast. Fat is long and steady.

stevieLA

Banned
Reaction score
only those with weak, fine or feminine facial features. Guys with strong jawlines look fantastic at low BF %

But what does do steroids and 20 hours in the gym get you?

For Ahhhhnuld all it got him was ugly Maria Shriver and his fat ugly mexican maid.

Dwayne Johnson has never been romantically linked to any hot woman.