Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Guys here familiar with bartending and the nightlife scene, help me out!

drakeisfire

Banned
Reaction score
So I want to bartend but I have a full time corporate job which is kind of fun (marketing to cool companies) so I want to bartend on the weekends, whether at a bar or nightclub.

How do I make it happen?

Igetit!

Reaction score
So I want to bartend but I have a full time corporate job which is kind of fun (marketing to cool companies) so I want to bartend on the weekends, whether at a bar or nightclub.

How do I make it happen?
Easy.......

You go to a bar or a nightclub and apply for a job.

drakeisfire

Banned
Reaction score
apply as a barback

dont waste money on bartending schools or anything like that. just start from the bottom and work your way up.

im not a bartender but i know how to mix plenty of drinks. theres no excuse not to learn how to do something these days with the internet. most bartenders today learn on their own and from other bartenders as well. not to mention many places put their own spin on drinks which they will teach you to do anyway.

you wont be getting weekend work as a full fledged bartender until you put in your time and become proficient. those are the peak times bar tenders make their most money
what do barbacks usually do?

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
apply as a barback
That is what you do. Pick somewhere that you like to go yourself and get to know the bartender. Then tell the bartender you have an interest in bar backing.

My ex husband has just recently done this at a place that makes a head spinning selection of really bad ass craft ****tails and has a mad rotating beer and wine selection. When he had his own nightclub and bar venues he was fabulous behind the bar as a bartender. He's been out of the industry now for several years and this is exactly how he his looking to get back into the game. The venue he has picked out is very cool and the head bar tender likes him a great deal. I'm wagering he'll be on board there sooner rather than later. He's a cool guy.

A bar back does the grunt work behind the bar. You are washing glasses, you are cutting garnishes, you are making sure you have enough mixers and inventory available. It's lots of prep and taking orders and doing what the bar tender needs at any given time. And you'll learn the business thoroughly from this perspective if you are sharp and you pay attention.

drakeisfire

Banned
Reaction score
They’re basically everyone’s bltch and do shlt work

Set the bar up, go fetch, clean up messes, remove empty drink glasses/bottles, general maintenance type stuff.

But don’t let that deter you, even Barbacks see some action at their job as a matter of proximity and most are treated respectfully by staff.

A friend of mine, this 5’7 ugly kid worked at a famous bar in nyc as a barback and banged half his co workers. I’m talkin hb9s that get hit on every night. He had no secret. He wasn’t good looking. Hes just a cool dude. I was legit impressed. And that’s Without even mentioning the customers that will literally throw themselves at you.

I always make it a point to befriend bartenders when possible. But yea, you’ve got the right idea if you wanna be a bartender. A guy that can run and command a whole drinking establishment is gonna get more @ss than he kno s what to do with. If I had the extra time, I would def do it myself. Not even for the girls, but just because I love that environment and meeting new people. I’m always bartender at friends parties n shlt
And you're telling me I can do this while having a full time corporate 9 to 5?

I wonder how he got the change to be a barback at a club in NYC.

drakeisfire

Banned
Reaction score
That is what you do. Pick somewhere that you like to go yourself and get to know the bartender. Then tell the bartender you have an interest in bar backing.

My ex husband has just recently done this at a place that makes a head spinning selection of really bad ass craft ****tails and has a mad rotating beer and wine selection. When he had his own nightclub and bar venues he was fabulous behind the bar as a bartender. He's been out of the industry now for several years and this is exactly how he his looking to get back into the game. The venue he has picked out is very cool and the head bar tender likes him a great deal. I'm wagering he'll be on board there sooner rather than later. He's a cool guy.

A bar back does the grunt work behind the bar. You are washing glasses, you are cutting garnishes, you are making sure you have enough mixers and inventory available. It's lots of prep and taking orders and doing what the bar tender needs at any given time. And you'll learn the business thoroughly from this perspective if you are sharp and you pay attention.
Seems like a plan.

But how long would it take to get to know the bartender? Do you become a regular at the bar and then go from there? I am trying to wonder when is the best time to go for it.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seems like a plan.

But how long would it take to get to know the bartender? Do you become a regular at the bar and then go from there? I am trying to wonder when is the best time to go for it.
Not when it's slammed.

Best when its a slow night or quiet or early. A time when you can chat with the person behind the bar so y'all get to know one another a bit. Today my ex and I had a late lunch at the place he wants to work. We arrived at 1:45 or so and sat at the bar, noshed a bit, had a couple drinks and conversation and bantered with the bar tender and his staff as they are getting ready for the dinner rush. We left about 3:30 and were the only patrons there. It was relaxed and as though you're hanging out with a friend.

If you can't do a leisurely lunch hour, pick a slow evening, or a Sunday afternoon or something. Pick somewhere you like and go with enough regularity to be recognizable to the staff.

This has lots of advantages. The bar tenders will get to know you, you may meet the owner or manager(s), and people have time to chat, AKA get to know you better.

Reaction score
Not when it's slammed.

Best when its a slow night or quiet or early. A time when you can chat with the person behind the bar so y'all get to know one another a bit. Today my ex and I had a late lunch at the place he wants to work. We arrived at 1:45 or so and sat at the bar, noshed a bit, had a couple drinks and conversation and bantered with the bar tender and his staff as they are getting ready for the dinner rush. We left about 3:30 and were the only patrons there. It was relaxed and as though you're hanging out with a friend.

If you can't do a leisurely lunch hour, pick a slow evening, or a Sunday afternoon or something. Pick somewhere you like and go with enough regularity to be recognizable to the staff.

This has lots of advantages. The bar tenders will get to know you, you may meet the owner or manager(s), and people have time to chat, AKA get to know you better.
@drakeisfire. ... Don't listen to this b1tch about anything.

A girl cannot tell you how to be a man.

drakeisfire

Banned
Reaction score
Not when it's slammed.

I assume I should have to tip well too then right?

I absolutely see this as being a decent enough idea, build some rapport but I wonder when you go from the building rapport to just asking for what you really want. Like I am the kind of person to where when people chat with me, I want to know what they want instead of beating around the bush and I wonder if bartenders are like that too.

All in all good advice from you in this thread, I do want to bartend at a nightclub in my 20s so want to know of all possible options to make it work.

BeExcellent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I assume I should have to tip well too then right?

I absolutely see this as being a decent enough idea, build some rapport but I wonder when you go from the building rapport to just asking for what you really want. Like I am the kind of person to where when people chat with me, I want to know what they want instead of beating around the bush and I wonder if bartenders are like that too.

All in all good advice from you in this thread, I do want to bartend at a nightclub in my 20s so want to know of all possible options to make it work.
I am of the opinion that you would do well to tip your servers appropriately, and if they deserve it, generously. I typically tip about 20% as a rule unless the service seriously warrants deviation up or down from that figure. But I digress.

You lose nothing by asking for what you want so don't be shy about it. You'll have to figure out when is the best time to ask. But be direct and simply inquire. Worst they can say is no.

My ex has known the bartender he wants to work with for several years. My ex appreciates how much the guy knows about libations and classic recipes and all the different liquors and bitters and garnishments and ingredients that go into custom or signature drinks. We are not talking tequila shots and draft beer. My ex was a superb bar keep himself for many years. The bartender helped open a cool new venue in town recently and my ex grabs a drink and chats him up periodically. One day he simply asked the bartender "would you have an interest in having an old dog (my ex is 51) working the trenches with you a night or so a week?" {My ex works a regular full time job} and would most like to bar back on Saturday nights. And the bartender said "Sure", as soon as I can work you into the rotation...

I know a bartender in Kansas City at a high end venue who only works Wednesdays. He was an IT professional for his regular profession but he has built a loyal Wednesday following in his one day a week behind the bar. One of the other bar backs where my ex will work soon enough is an attorney. So it's something guys with full time careers sometimes do to be in the scene and enjoy the nightlife and the action while earning a little something and getting some social exposure.

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Chev.Chelios

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whole reason why these dudes work in this business is because they want to pimp chicks and make money while doing it.

become a regular and start knowing everybody making tons of friends with the females.. meet the managers and owners of the places you want to work at and let them know what's up. if they like you they'll hire you.

Solomon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They’re basically everyone’s bltch and do shlt work

Set the bar up, go fetch, clean up messes, remove empty drink glasses/bottles, general maintenance type stuff.

But don’t let that deter you, even Barbacks see some action at their job as a matter of proximity and most are treated respectfully by staff.

A friend of mine, this 5’7 ugly kid worked at a famous bar in nyc as a barback and banged half his co workers. I’m talkin hb9s that get hit on every night. He had no secret. He wasn’t good looking. Hes just a cool dude. I was legit impressed. And that’s Without even mentioning the customers that will literally throw themselves at you.

I always make it a point to befriend bartenders when possible. But yea, you’ve got the right idea if you wanna be a bartender. A guy that can run and command a whole drinking establishment is gonna get more @ss than he kno s what to do with. If I had the extra time, I would def do it myself. Not even for the girls, but just because I love that environment and meeting new people. I’m always bartender at friends parties n shlt
Yup if you want easy poon become a staff member at a club, I got a couple buddies who work security and they got tons of ass, just because they stood at a door lol

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
If you have the time and energy to pull it off, I would focus on hustling to make $* and learn the job. Don’t be the guy who takes the job just for puzzy and does the bare minimum to not get fired.

A barback is a bartender’s right hand man. Be a team player and have his/her back.

The fringe benefits are a bonus.

*I understand that you have a full time gig, but even some money from a side gig is nice (and can lead to a higher paying bartender side gig later).

Last edited:

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bartending is too much work. I wanna be a DJ at a $trip Club. I get to look at bOObies all night long, I can drink on the job, all the girls have to sweet talk me to play the songs they want, and at the end of the night they all have to tip me before they go home!

Sazc to the mainstage.....AJ84 you're up next. And BeExcellent can be the house mom making sure you girls behave. :D

drakeisfire

Banned
Reaction score
I’m not telling you any of that. I’m just answering your question. You should be the one to know whether you have the time and energy for it or not.

Yea my friend was a regular at the place. Although it’s a very famous nyc bar it’s also a scene/niche bar and that was exactly his thing so it’s easy to see why he wasn’t just easily accepted but invited into it. The owner is also there almost every night so it was easy to befriend him as well.

Outside of my favorite joints that I frequent when I go out, I have my more casual haunt that caters to surfers in the rockaways which has been starting to become way too hip and popular lately. I pitch in voluntarily as is customary of the surfer culture but i can easily make it official whenever I want to as it’s my thing, my scene. I just don’t have the time for it
I know I have the time and energy for it, the issue is getting the opportunity and getting the management to take a chance on me.

I am all about trying to make this opportunity work out.

drakeisfire

Banned
Reaction score
Good info given but time to put it to work.

My goal by the end of 2018 is to be having a second job at a bar or nightclub. Meaning I work a regular 9 to 5 on weekdays and then on the weekends work at a bar or nightclub, obviously won't get bartender right away.

I am in Atlanta right now and the scene here seems really really cliquish, if you are fratty you get the job or else you are SOL. The bars and nightclubs I am targeting are those aimed more at yuppies and not really the ghetto/trashy types.