Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

You don't need God-tier looks to succeed at online dating

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you're a solid 7/10 and a generally likeable dude, I think you'll find this useful - not gonna pretend it will work for everyone.

Background: Found myself in a particularly crappy location for OLD - virtually no attractive women who had their sh!t together in my area - if you've tried OLD outside a major city, you know what I'm talking about. So I start changing up my location and profile description - NYC, LA, San Fran, Chicago, Washington - seeing what works best for me. My approach was entirely passive - set up the profile and see what comes in. A little back and forth if I got a particularly interesting message.

Location: It matters alright. The bigger the city, the easier OLD is. I got the most unsolicited messages in San Fran for what that's worth (even more than NYC). I was expecting to find that different types of profiles did better in certain locations, but that wasn't the case. The same two profile descriptions always did the best regardless of location. Kind of interesting.

Platform: PoF, OK Cupid, Tinder, Bumble. While they all worked, I think PoF and OK Cupid should be the go to apps for average to slightly above average looking dudes. For one thing, there's no mutual matching required before you can send a message. So there's that, but more importantly, I found that contact on PoF/OKC was more likely to lead to something tangible. It know it seems like there's more action on Tinder and Bumble, but trust me, the traditional apps have a better ROI (Chad Thundercock may have a different opinion about that).

Profile Descriptions: I gotta tell you, I'm still kinda pissed that what I think was my best work fell flat. But you can't argue with what actually works. Without further ado:

I've got fifty bucks for any woman who can write a profile without using the words "yoga", "travel", or "not looking for hookups".

Yup, that's it. My most successful profile to date. In every city I've tested it, I get a bunch of women messaging me and playfully asking for their fitty. Candy from a baby at that point.

I understand why it worked, but let's hear what you guys think.

The other profile that did really well took me by surprise. I always run the same four photos - nothing special, the usual shiz we all have (on the bike, with the dog, group shot, token selfie). And one day I took the piss out of every photo - made fun of my bike, my facial hair, the fact that the ex got the dog, but hey - at least my pecs are on point!

Didn't have much hope for it.

My inbox blew up.

Now, a lot of girls missed the whole tongue in cheek part, were offering me genuine sympathy (ugghh), but it was real interest - even got "handpicked" by some professional matchmaker for a client of hers. Flies in the face of everything I know about seduction, but it always tests really well. Make of that what you will.

Urbanyst

Banned
Reaction score
Nice post. I actually like the 50 bucks idea. Might try it for fun.

For some reason most people on this forum have a bizarre hatred for online dating. Me thinks it comes from relying on it EXCLUSIVELY instead of meeting women several other ways too. Dating apps are just another tool to help you get laid and meet people you might not meet otherwise. Guys who are letting their egos keep them away from OLD are out of their minds in my opinion. But whatever.

A little while back I wrote my own online dating guide too:
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/threads/dating-app-thrive-guide-for-tinder-bumble.242221/

Atom Smasher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I met my current girlfriend via OLD. There are a few of my "brag posts" about her fluttering around the forum, so I'll refrain here, but I think it's a great tool. It has proven to save me lots of time-wasting vetting dates. It's easy to work the system. Even if you're not great looking you can still get compelling pictures up there and pique their interest.

I'm one of those guys who looks good in person but the camera hates me. I must be experienced in 3D, not 2D. The solution is to have someone take a massive number of pictures while you're doing some activities. Out of a few hundred pics, you're going to find a few that make you look really good.

I also recommend specializing (going after a certain type of girl). The generalist always ends up doing poorly in most endeavors in life. Narrow it down and play to those women.

I don't understand the bias against OLD either. I essentially used it as bait that I left in the water. I didn't pursue anybody, rather, I just let the bait sit, and boy did I hit the jackpot eventually. I designed the profile to eliminate (offend) the types I didn't want and to attract the ones I wanted. It worked.

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
@ Urbanyst

Oh snap, I remember reading that. Quality post actually, should have got more love. As someone who lives in a tourist hotspot, you couldn't have been more right about wasting weekend swipes on out of towners.

Last edited:

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"I also recommend specializing (going after a certain type of girl). The generalist always ends up doing poorly in most endeavors in life. Narrow it down and play to those women.I also recommend specializing (going after a certain type of girl)."

Jesus Christ, yes, this.

If your profile doesn't piss anyone off you're probably playing it too safe.

skinnyguy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem is usually with finding women who are worth writing a message to. Rather than trying to get responses. OLD is dumpster diving.

I understand that some guys only care about getting laid. For them, OLD is great cause the women want the same thing.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I ve had an endless supply of 7s and the occasional 8. Pretty similar to fishing. Need patience. Have to freshen the bait/profile once in a while. Some weeks the fish go away some weeks you can't eat the whole catch.

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shameless bump... sort of. Thought we'd get a chance to unpack some of the underlying theory, but threads never turn out how you think they will.

I've got fifty bucks for any woman who can write a profile without using the words "yoga", "travel", or "not looking for hookups".

Why did it work so well? IMHO, Qualification & Scarcity. Red Pill confirmed. Booyah.

As for the other one - the humble, self-deprecating profile, what the hell is going on there? I could understand it if I thought these girls realised that I have my shiz together and I'm just underplaying it to make myself seem more approachable. But they're definitely taking it at face value - I was getting a lot of messages to the effect of "So sorry to hear about x, I hope your life turns around soon!"

....what the what?! Lovable loser works??? What kind of Blue Pill sorcery is this?

Urbanyst

Banned
Reaction score

So this crap actually works. Added to my Tinder and Bumble profiles after responding to this thread for the hell of it. Now my Tinder and Bumble apps are blowing up with matches and girls are initiating conversations.

ABSURD.

Why did it work so well? IMHO, Qualification & Scarcity. Red Pill confirmed. Booyah.

As for the other one - the humble, self-deprecating profile, what the hell is going on there? I could understand it if I thought these girls realised that I have my shiz together and I'm just underplaying it to make myself seem more approachable. But they're definitely taking it at face value - I was getting a lot of messages to the effect of "So sorry to hear about x, I hope your life turns around soon!"

....what the what?! Lovable loser works??? What kind of Blue Pill sorcery is this?
My theory is some women took it as you having a good sense of humor and other women are just responding to their lizard brain emotion. Anytime you can make a woman "feel" it has an impact on her.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OMG dude your gaining insight. Bloody great going..dead serious.

This is what I hang round for. The moment when a guy sees past the rules to the principles and goes freestyle because they're at that level now.

Last edited:

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course the bastards never thank the community and say they always knew but that's just the nature of guys.

Urbanyst

Banned
Reaction score
Shameless bump... sort of. Thought we'd get a chance to unpack some of the underlying theory, but threads never turn out how you think they will.

To add on the theory on why this works so well.. it shows you are showing STANDARDS. You are saying.. "I'm BETTER than all you losers and I'll offer you MONEY to not be another BORING cliche b*tch who I would rather spit on than f*ck" lol.

You are also separating yourself from other men by being original and not supplicating like the typical thirsty/desperate man does.

MisterMike

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've stolen all of your ideas and am now going to the be the guinea pig for this.

raider87

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Women loved Hugh Grant in Notting Hill.

Fruitbat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stomach-wrenching chick phrase but "being true to yourself" worked for me.

I took a lot of advice on here which I got horribly wrong. I am not an athlete, nor am I 25. These are not my strengths. My first profile involved semi topless shots, pics at gym....it was a car crash because I was competing in a way which only some women would appreciate, and those women have better options for this kind of man.

Put some pics of who I really am - a successful man, with good clothes. Good for evenings out, good conversation, quirky personality, plays instruments, big general knowledge and definately interesting to the more intelligent girl, or a girl who wants old school provider.

Suddenly, things happened. If you're not a jock, don't set up as one. You're like a bookworm woman who poses in a baywatch swimsuit. It doesn't work.

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OMG dude your gaining insight. Bloody great going..dead serious.

This is what I hang round for. The moment when a guy sees past the rules to the principles and goes freestyle because they're at that level now.

Cheers man. Once we've saved the forum from the impending Aspergers singularity, I want the inscription on my gaudy bronze statue to read "Live. Laugh. Vomit".

Edit: I ran "Live. Laugh. Vomit" through a latin translator - "Vivamus. Risu. Vomite"

Gorgeous:)

Last edited:

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
To add on the theory on why this works so well.. it shows you are showing STANDARDS. You are saying.. "I'm BETTER than all you losers and I'll offer you MONEY to not be another BORING cliche b*tch who I would rather spit on than f*ck" lol.

You are also separating yourself from other men by being original and not supplicating like the typical thirsty/desperate man does.
Yup & yup. Gonna use that as a jumping off point:

I think it works so well because it's just the right amount of of qualification. The standards aren't extreme enough to make me look like a delusional douchebag who's out of touch with his own SMV (I'm looking at you basic b*tches). But they're exclusive enough to make the girls who do meet the criteria, feel like they've won something, i.e. they're made to feel that they're better than other women.

I'll pick up on scarcity again. I've noticed that the best performing profiles have always been short, like really short. Long, meandering profiles reek of desperation and over-investment (says the guy posting about OLD on a seduction forum, bwahaha). Brevity is a rare skill. Protip: don't write about yourself, write about stuff.

Edit: Third reason, and maybe the most important. She doesn't have to think of an opener, I've made it incredibly easy for her to initiate. Man, you guys think there's some spergy behaviour on this forum, you should see most women trying to initiate a conversation on Bumble.

Last edited:

Wilko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Stomach-wrenching chick phrase but "being true to yourself" worked for me.
Absolutely. Congruency is king. It's why I'm laboring over the theory - I want the guys here to understand why it worked rather than copying the quote into their own profiles.