Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What to do in a situation in a retail store..

chow

Reaction score
I was at Target over the weekend and the cashier was an HB8. A customer ahead of me was hitting on her and as he was leaving he said "You have a beautiful smile". Pretty much everybody in the line heard it and the cashier didn't know what to do and said "Thanks" but didn't make an eye contact. The guy looked like an AFC after he said it.

My question is this: How would you try to talk to a cashier and not sound like an AFC? I was thinking of giving her a backhanded comment but couldn't think of any. Any advice?

Docs

Banned
Reaction score
Just talk to her. Don't intend on picking her up. HBCoffee (signature) is EXACTLY the fruit of not focusing on PU. I STILL DO NOT have her phone number!!

That alone should prove to you that even casual conversation is fun! (oh, and building rapport though multiple visits!)

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I would have said something obviously more lame than the guy that was ahead. Something like she had a really cool name tag. I'd then ask her name and say that she must be a very lucky person because she ended up with a name tag that actually had her name on it. What are the chances??!! :p

Never underestimate the power of absurdity....

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So (insert name reading nametag, make it obvious your reading it to show boldness), when's your next work break? (if she actually gives a time) Would you like to grab a cup of coffee at (insert time) then?

If you're shot down instead, who gives a f***?

For me, any of these hypotheticals, i just think confidence, and KISS. It makes life easy.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm... or dont say anything, take your sack, and double back around and get in line again to buy a pack of gum, wash rince and repeat with a straight look on your face until she is compelled to say something. Then act like the joke was on her, and somewhere in the c&f part of enjoying the punchline (Want some gum? *smile*), ask her out.

Ive never actually tried that, but it might work *shrug*. Hopefully the lines aren't too long though.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well, if an AFC had just blown it in front of me, I probably wouldn't try anything particularly overt because the whole mood would be ruined. And I'd look doubly stupid if I got shot down.

the AFC strike-out aside, I would just try to do the friendly/C&F stuff (without any lame compliments).

You might conceivably ask her to something low-risk like coffee, but imo any girl you meet at a cash register is gonna be next to impossible to pick up after just one meeting. There's not enough time to build much rapport at all. If you'll look at Docs's link, you'll see that he picked up the employee only after running into her multiple times.

thickandcreamy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I think a lot of guys focus on retail sales girls because these girls HAVE to talk to you and they must be reasonably pleasant to everyone. But you have to wean yourself off this habit and talk to other girls at some point. Having said that, if she's attracted to you, it doesn't matter if she's working, driving, walking down the street, or whatever. She'll let you get in contact with her again somehow.

Also, if this "AFC" took the effort to chat her up and you didn't, who's the AFC? You're on the internet because you're afraid to talk to girls, while the supposed "AFC" is gaming chicks.

Thick

chow said:
I was at Target over the weekend and the cashier was an HB8. A customer ahead of me was hitting on her and as he was leaving he said "You have a beautiful smile". Pretty much everybody in the line heard it and the cashier didn't know what to do and said "Thanks" but didn't make an eye contact. The guy looked like an AFC after he said it.

My question is this: How would you try to talk to a cashier and not sound like an AFC? I was thinking of giving her a backhanded comment but couldn't think of any. Any advice?

Mind_Body_Soul

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"So.... (look obviously towards AFC walking out of the store and then back at the girl) come here often?" make sure you say it as cheesily as possible with a huge smile on your face, after she laughs move directly into situational conversation.

chow

Reaction score
thickandcreamy said:
I think a lot of guys focus on retail sales girls because these girls HAVE to talk to you and they must be reasonably pleasant to everyone. But you have to wean yourself off this habit and talk to other girls at some point. Having said that, if she's attracted to you, it doesn't matter if she's working, driving, walking down the street, or whatever. She'll let you get in contact with her again somehow.

Also, if this "AFC" took the effort to chat her up and you didn't, who's the AFC? You're on the internet because you're afraid to talk to girls, while the supposed "AFC" is gaming chicks.

Thick
That's a good point about sales girls and a chick you just see in public.

But are you still gaming chicks though if you look disperate like he did? I was thinking of saying something to her but after the guy said the line, I didn't know what to do anymore. I figure she'd put up her shield for a while cus everyone in the line heard it. Never had that situation before where you plan to talk to a chick and someone hits on them before you.

thickandcreamy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, it IS better to do something and look desperate than to do nothing at all. The sooner you learn that, the less time you will be forced to spend here, and the more time you will spend boning hot chicks.

chow said:
That's a good point about sales girls and a chick you just see in public.

But are you still gaming chicks though if you look disperate like he did? I was thinking of saying something to her but after the guy said the line, I didn't know what to do anymore. I figure she'd put up her shield for a while cus everyone in the line heard it. Never had that situation before where you plan to talk to a chick and someone hits on them before you.

Jay Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thickandcreamy said:

Thick
Thick basically said what I was going to post.

Girls that get paid to talk to you are great for PRACTICE! Thats it.

JJ

danielzxc

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I dunno man, I don't think he looked so desperate. I think this is just YOU projecting what YOU would feel in that situation. Maybe to him it wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Also, about her putting her "shield" up. Hang on man, let's remember that girls actually LIKE getting compliments. They may not always APPEAR to like it, because if they appear to like it, sometimes they worry they might be giving the guy the impression that they like HIM. But you can bet that INSIDE she is beaming. Just like you would if even some fat bytch complimented on you something. You wouldn't fvvk her, or maybe not even talk to her, but inside you'd be feeling really good about the compliment.

That's a good point. What is the best thing to practise with them? Obviously not "approaches". But what? Canned routine designed to DHV?

thickandcreamy

Don Juan
Reaction score
What's distressing about the OP and 99% of posts on sosuave is that guys do nothing initially and then post after the fact: what should I have done? Did it mean something?

The fact that you did nothing initially is the problem. Making any attempt, however feeble, awkward, embarrassing or silly, is better than not making the attempt. I'm not advocating doing anything illegal or harassing, but clearly any public setting invites the possibility of social behavior.

Second, you've lost the forest for the trees, Forrest Gump. Click on that little linky that reads DJ Bible. You'll get a full eight week tutorial program for free. What more could you ask for?

Approaching girls is like taking warmup shots in basketball. The first few shots, or maybe the first few hundred, might look a little ugly, but with enough practice, you will become competent. If you are really talented, the sky is the limit.

Thick

Jay Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Opening.

danielzxc said:
That's a good point. What is the best thing to practise with them? Obviously not "approaches". But what? Canned routine designed to DHV?
You can just practice talking to a girl you don't know. You need to say SOMETHING to checkout chicks besides just "Can I have a quater pounder."

So you learn to figure out how to say something when it is your turn in the que.

You learn how to initiate a conversation which is just like an "approach" without the approaching bit.

This is generally called "opening" and you'll find that once you learn how to strike up conversations with girls you don't need to "approach" you can just "open."

So you learn how to say to checkout chicks

"How about the weather."

"Thats a unique necklace."

"I'm buying this tutu for my niece, I'm not a ballerina in case you were wondering."

Its just making conversation.

Once you know how to "open" you will be able to talk to girls anywhere with the ease you talk to checkout chicks.

So you can say, "How about this weather." To the girl at the bus stop.

"Thats a unique necklace." to the girl at the cafe.

"I'm buying this tutu for my niece... blah blah... " to the girl in the shop.

Okay, so that's opening.

You can also practice things like flirtation, charm and wit.

JJ

~attrACTION~

Banned
Reaction score
"Oh yes, and you have the most beautiful...elbows, they're amazing"

Mind_Body_Soul said:
"So.... (look obviously towards AFC walking out of the store and then back at the girl) come here often?" make sure you say it as cheesily as possible with a huge smile on your face, after she laughs move directly into situational conversation.
Haha, I love that comment. I'm going to use that.

Jay Jay said:
Not necessarily. Way to have limiting beliefs.

Cashiers don't get "paid to galk to you" - they get paid to total your groceries. Why would they put in extra effort if they're only getting paid close to minimum wage? The women in retail who could be ambiguous with their come-ons are more along the lines of sales reps or the ones that run kiosks in the mall.

With that said, I've number closed a few cashiers in the past. Not that numbers mean anything, but plenty of girls flirt with customers while they work. Especially a boring-ass job like a cashier.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thickandcreamy said:

*Drumroll*

*Cue the Trumpets*

TADAAA! :up:

danielzxc

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Jay Jay said:
You can just practice talking to a girl you don't know. You need to say SOMETHING to checkout chicks besides just "Can I have a quater pounder."

So you learn to figure out how to say something when it is your turn in the que.

You learn how to initiate a conversation which is just like an "approach" without the approaching bit.

This is generally called "opening" and you'll find that once you learn how to strike up conversations with girls you don't need to "approach" you can just "open."

"How about the weather."

"I'm buying this tutu for my niece, I'm not a ballerina in case you were wondering."

Its just making conversation.

Once you know how to "open" you will be able to talk to girls anywhere with the ease you talk to checkout chicks.

So you can say, "How about this weather." To the girl at the bus stop.

"Thats a unique necklace." to the girl at the cafe.

"I'm buying this tutu for my niece... blah blah... " to the girl in the shop.

Okay, so that's opening.

You can also practice things like flirtation, charm and wit.

JJ

No man, I was wondering whether you had anything specific in mind. Any idiot could have figured out the "talking" bit. (You'll notice in my posts I always try to give specific advice, not just generic kbj crap.)

That's not even remotely true for me. With "context excuses" I don't have any problem talking at all (fwiw, I think I'm pretty good at chatting). It's approaching someone out of the blue that I choke on. I "know" it's okay to just go up to a stranger and just talk, but I have a lot of trouble getting myself to do this.

"How about the weather."

Are you for real man? Maybe when I'm 40 I could say stuff like that. For now, that just sounds so gay man I'm rolling my eyes just reading it.

Do you actually go around saying "That's a unique necklace..." to chicks at checkout counters? I'm not against using something they are wearing to comment on, but this particular way of saying it... lol, that's not me at all.

Or even better (ie worse), "How about this weather we've been havin' eh?", like I'm some old farmer. How old are you man? You should say who your advice is directed to. Most people on here are trying to pick up 18-22 year olds. I can just imagine some little 18yr old groaning inside her mind at "how about the weather". You wanna talk weather, you say something like "fkkn hot today or what?". That would go down way better with your typical 18yr old than "how about this weather".

DR Chillz

Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
I would have said something obviously more lame than the guy that was ahead. Something like she had a really cool name tag. I'd then ask her name and say that she must be a very lucky person because she ended up with a name tag that actually had her name on it. What are the chances??!! :p
Im going to do that should get a laugh out of it.

tobby

Don Juan
Reaction score
There's not a set way to deal with any chicks. You really just have to try your luck and hope you're successful!

The "AFC" only looks bad because that chick wasn't into him. Let's face it, we all laugh at embarrassing moments (America's Funniest Home Videos, YouTube, you name it!) For some reason, WHO CARES!!!!, she just wasn't feeling his opener. If she were interested in him, that may have been all he needed to say to get a conversation going and leave with her number.

Again, you just have to feel situations out and take risks. That's what life's all about anyway. You can't be too pathetic or needy, (e.x confessing your love for the chick :rolleyes: ), but most of us with common sense know this anyway!