Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

What Every DJ Needs in His Wardrobe.

Faun

Don Juan
Reaction score
Like good looks, a good wardrobe won't necessarily get you far with a woman, but it WILL get you more auditions (and it's a nice little confidence booster). When you look good, you feel good.

(and yes, I am a straight man; I just happen to know about fashion)

Essential Items for Every DJ's Wardrobe:

1. A brown leather belt and a black leather belt. Simple leather belts are classy and reasonably priced. Go for the ones with the silver buckles, rather than the gold; silver is elegant and goes with anything. Whenever you wear a pair of pants with belt loops, you need to wear a belt. When choosing which belt to wear, it should be in the same general color scheme as your shoes.

2. A pair of clean jeans (with no holes) that fit well. Too big and you'll look like you're 5 years old. Too small and you'll look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. The right length jeans should just cover the laces of your shoes when you're standing up straight. You should ALWAYS wear a belt with jeans.

3. A pair of black or brown casual dress shoes or boots. Sneakers may be comfortable, but you can't wear them all the time. Giving a pair of shoes a quick rubdown with a cloth at the end of the day can keep them looking shiny and new and is a lot easier and faster than polishing.

4. A black turtleneck. A black turtleneck can go with jeans for a casual look or khakis for a more chic look. And you can't go wrong with black (unless you have dandruff, in which case you should try a dandruff shampoo).

5. A pair of clean, pressed/ironed khakis or other nice pants (dressier than jeans, but not as nice as dress pants - I personally don't wear khakis). If you don't have time to iron, a quick fix to get out wrinkles: hang the khakis on a hanger in the bathroom while you take a hot shower.

6. A nice watch. Either silver or gold. I prefer silver because it's more refined and understated. Even a $40 silver Timex watch will look good. Others on the forum might disagree with me, but wearing a watch shows that you have some order in your life and that your time is valuable. If a woman sees that your time isn't valuable to you, why would it be valuable to her?

7 & 8. A button-down dress shirt and tie. You can't go wrong with a white dress shirt. You can either have a patterned tie and solid shirt or a solid shirt and a patterned tie. Having both patterned is too visually distracting and having both solid is boring, unless they're shades of the same color (like what Regis Philbin wears). If the tie and shirt are shades of the same color (as well as the jacket if you're wearing a jacket), it's a very classy look.

9. A pair of dressy black pants. Wear ONLY with black shoes. Sneakers don't work. Pair this with a black turtleneck and you're ready to hit the town. Like the khakis: don't wear with wrinkles.

10. A navy blazer or a sports jacket. With a pair of khakis, a button-down shirt or colored t-shirt, and nice shoes, a blazer or sports jacket can take you from casual to slightly dressy. I have a brown velour sports jacket (men wear velour; women wear velvet) that the ladies like to touch 'cause it's so soft. And you know what happens after the ladies start touching your clothes.

11. A leather jacket. Brown or black, a leather jacket delivers the message that you know how to dress. A leather jacket doesn't have to be expensive; you can get one at some of the cheaper clothing stores like Target and Walmart (for those in the US) for less than $100. Avoid fake leather, as it just looks cheap and tacky.

12. Scent. While clothes appeal to the visual sense, a good cologne or aftershave appeals to the olfactory sense (smell). For the DJ on a budget, I recommend Jovan musk, an earthy cologne with a nice scent and a reasonable price. I've also had good experiences with Gravity (comes in both a cologne and an aftershave); it smells good and very few women can recognize it because it's not as common as some of the other colognes/aftershaves. If you have a little more to spend, I highly recommend Wings for Men (an aftershave); my aunt (who works at a perfume/cologne counter) gave me a bottle of it for my birthday. It's a light, airy scent, and I've gotten some nice compliments on it.

-------------------------
1/2 man, 1/2 horny goat.
Seducer of nymphs.
Cousin of the satyr.

[This message has been edited by Faun (edited 03-12-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Faun (edited 05-20-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Faun (edited 05-20-2002).]

syncmaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have everything you've listed and then some...
I just got a 230$ Guess watch for my birthday - I've gotten sooooo many compliments on it, I love my baby.
But i've got styyyyyle. I usually dress street/thug (my personal mix)... but today I dressed really nice and I got a lot of attention b/c people aren't used to seeing me that way. I got soooooooo many smiles it was CRAZY!

Just shows what fashion can do - especially in HS.

------------------
Syncmaster signing out.
a.k.a ... Adam

Faun

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by LonerWithABoner:
a leather jacket can really work wonders. they're pricey, but chicks dig em.
Thanks. I knew I forgot something.

------------------
Half man, half animal.

lil devun

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
those are all good basics but its very important to have your own style (if its good). Also the clothes you wear should reflect the kinda ladies you like. But for those in need of some fashion advice those are good choices for sure.

another tip would be to get some jewlery. i wear a gold chain w/ cross, watch, and ring

Aztec

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Amen to that! I have been complimented by strangers (all women) by wearing clothes that I would usually would not wear. Every man should invest a couple of hundred bucks for a decent wardrobe once in a while.

Do an closet inventory annually to see if you have junk in there that you haven't worn for a year, and dump them or give it to the Salvation Army.

------------------
"Don't think you are, you know you are."

-Morpheus-

"...You don't attack America like this and get away with it."

COLIN POWELL

ChiTown Juan

Don Juan
Reaction score
I like to wear nice boxer-briefs under my khakis. I've gotten compliments from women on them. You don't want to be caught wearing tighty-whitey Fruit of the Looms when the date is going your way.

Jester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i agree with the belt, the shoes, the khakis, the cologne and the watch. the rest goes against my style.

[This message has been edited by Jester (edited 06-24-2002).]

ArizonaDJ

Don Juan
Reaction score
All I know is that when I'm overdressed in a cool way (meaning NOT a business suit in a club) then I always seem to score. My favorite is a nice jacket/sportcoat over a silk v-neck... the great thing is if you go to a club you can always ditch the jacket and still look good and be able to dance without sweating you a** off.

Good call on the jewelry - I wear a nice stainless steel watch with a silver bracelet on the other wrist. Silver is pretty cheap but looks damn good, especially with black clothes.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
the only jewelry a man should wear is a wedding ring on his finger, and maybe a simple chain around his neck (such a small, tasteful cross or something else ) anything else looks tacky as hell (especially if you're not a black male)..... unless of course you are a rap star or professional athlete....and even most of those guys look like idiots.... a shame too, I really love hip-hop, but would never dress like my favorite rappers.. I'd look ridiculous.....

are you guys REAL men or some vain little chumps... did McQueen, Wayne, Pacino, DeNiro (in non-gangster roles), Eastwood, Bronson, Connery (his Highlander role notwithstanding), Grant, Cooper et al.. EVER WEAR FAG BRACELETS, EARRINGS OR CHUNKY RINGS??? I don't think so... nuff said. ..

I do not consider a watch to be jewelry.. it's an essential..

hawaiian shirts: only in Hawaii..anywhere else and you become "that guy" don't be that guy...a hawaiian shirt screams "my personality is so lame on its own that I need this lame ass shirt to draw attention to myself."

you should always wear a belt with jeans? Since when? If you are tucking in your shirt then fine... by the way, tucking in your shirt to denim reeks of dorked-out conformist...which means you shouldn't be wearing button downs with denim!!! have some individuality boys!! but if you are going very casual... there is no rule against not wearing a belt.

Personally I ****ing hate khakis....the truly stylish man would never wear them for going out.... it smacks of the middle aged corporate drone, or the earnest, wussbag young -republican with a dream AFC... BORING!!!! talk about being a generic chode in those... the khakis I do wear are strictly casual and very broken-in and comfortable... I haven't bought a pair in 6 years...we are DJs remember? when you dress.. dress like the ****ing bad boy pimp that you are....not like some momma's boy pansy.

Another essential item: A CUSTOM MADE SUIT: due to my size - I had to have my 2 suits custom made.. (I have a 50" chest and 34" waist ).. It cost about 200 dollars more than a decent off the rack suit (they ran about 600 a piece) but damn..do I look good when I wear that ****... it's pretty much guaranteed ***** everytime I wear that bad boy... anyway, if you live in a big city, shop around for a reputable tailor and go and talk to him, you can get a really good deal,(depending on the fabrics and lining you choose) and a custom "like a glove" fit that will definitely separate you from all the other chumps rocking lame boxy looking off the rack suits with hack alteration.

Remember, the DJ first and foremost is a gentleman (followed a close second by a scoundrel..: ) but in a good way of course..)

educate yourselves on the masters of fashion and how to truly dress like a gentleman...always go for understatement, quality, and quiet, graceful elegance... trends are for sheep.... how you present yourself to the world is how you will be treated...

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My dad once told me that other than his family, a man's most fundamental relationships should be with his tailor and his butcher.... interesting, don't you think? And I think the old man was very right on.. Dress well, eat well... can't argue with that..

xniceguy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Scoundrel? Scoundrel... I like the sound of that.

Some ask "What Would Jesus Do?".

Others "What Would Brian Boitano Do?"

I ask "What Would Han Solo Do?"

Oh yeah, clothes.

Shoes, shoes, and shoes again. Get them polished (by yourself or someone else) once a month. Chicks are hella into shoes and will look at that first. Shoes, than watch.

------------------
Chicks don't think. Chicks feel.

Faun

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DIESEL:
the only jewelry a man should wear is a wedding ring on his finger, and maybe a simple chain around his neck (such a small, tasteful cross or something else ) anything else looks tacky as hell (especially if you're not a black male)..... unless of course you are a rap star or professional athlete....and even most of those guys look like idiots.... a shame too, I really love hip-hop, but would never dress like my favorite rappers.. I'd look ridiculous.....

are you guys REAL men or some vain little chumps... did McQueen, Wayne, Pacino, DeNiro (in non-gangster roles), Eastwood, Bronson, Connery (his Highlander role notwithstanding), Grant, Cooper et al.. EVER WEAR FAG BRACELETS, EARRINGS OR CHUNKY RINGS??? I don't think so... nuff said. ..

I do not consider a watch to be jewelry.. it's an essential..

hawaiian shirts: only in Hawaii..anywhere else and you become "that guy" don't be that guy...a hawaiian shirt screams "my personality is so lame on its own that I need this lame ass shirt to draw attention to myself."

you should always wear a belt with jeans? Since when? If you are tucking in your shirt then fine... by the way, tucking in your shirt to denim reeks of dorked-out conformist...which means you shouldn't be wearing button downs with denim!!! have some individuality boys!! but if you are going very casual... there is no rule against not wearing a belt.

Personally I ****ing hate khakis....the truly stylish man would never wear them for going out.... it smacks of the middle aged corporate drone, or the earnest, wussbag young -republican with a dream AFC... BORING!!!! talk about being a generic chode in those... the khakis I do wear are strictly casual and very broken-in and comfortable... I haven't bought a pair in 6 years...we are DJs remember? when you dress.. dress like the ****ing bad boy pimp that you are....not like some momma's boy pansy.

Another essential item: A CUSTOM MADE SUIT: due to my size - I had to have my 2 suits custom made.. (I have a 50" chest and 34" waist ).. It cost about 200 dollars more than a decent off the rack suit (they ran about 600 a piece) but damn..do I look good when I wear that ****... it's pretty much guaranteed ***** everytime I wear that bad boy... anyway, if you live in a big city, shop around for a reputable tailor and go and talk to him, you can get a really good deal,(depending on the fabrics and lining you choose) and a custom "like a glove" fit that will definitely separate you from all the other chumps rocking lame boxy looking off the rack suits with hack alteration.

Remember, the DJ first and foremost is a gentleman (followed a close second by a scoundrel..: ) but in a good way of course..)

educate yourselves on the masters of fashion and how to truly dress like a gentleman...always go for understatement, quality, and quiet, graceful elegance... trends are for sheep.... how you present yourself to the world is how you will be treated...
As far as jewelery goes, simple is definitely best. I just wanted to present the basics. It's always best to know the rules first so you know when to break them.

I definitely agree with you on being understated and quietly elegant.

------------------
Half man, half animal.

LonerWithABoner

Don Juan
Reaction score
What would Brian Boitano do
If he were here right now?
He would make a plan and follow through.
That's what Brian Boitano'd do.

lil devun

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
by the way, tucking in your shirt to denim reeks of dorked-out conformist...which means you shouldn't be wearing button downs with denim!!!
[/B][/QUOTE]

what the devil are you talking about? i always wear button downs with denim. just unbutton them or only button up a few at the bottom and dont tuck in your shirt

L

LeotheLion

Fashion is the antithesis of style. Style isn't something you pick up at the gap. Drop the leather jacket GQ look and become a men you sheep. Dare to venture off the beaten path, women will respond to your originality and true sense of style.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
but Leo, the leather jacket IS one of the columns of masculine style....surely you are not going to tell me that no man looks better in a leather coat... just because it is "fashionable" at the moment does not mean it has lost its essential stylishness... also if you have been reading the posts on this thread you will not that there are no sheep here, o hasty one.

Faun

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by LeotheLion:
Dare to venture off the beaten path, women will respond to your originality and true sense of style.
You need to know where the beaten path is before you can venture off it. A true man knows when to venture off the beaten AND when to stay on it.

Going against the mainstream merely to go against the mainstream isn't being original, it's merely conforming to nonconforming. A real man doesn't follow the mainstream or go against it to conform or not conform, what he does, he does because it is the right thing or the thing to do, and it DOESN'T MATTER whether or not it conforms or doesn't conform.

------------------
Half man, half animal.

Jwheatly

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
whatever enlists confidence in you

if wearing a 500 pair of gucci shoes makes you feel like a million bux, and you present that attitude because of it. Then go for it

If lifting weights makes you feel like a million bux, and you present that attitude because of it. Then go for it.

In the long run, whatever inspires confidence in you is what will make you successful.

BigBen69

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by syncmaster:
I have everything you've listed and then some...
I just got a 230$ Guess watch for my birthday - I've gotten sooooo many compliments on it, I love my baby.
But i've got styyyyyle. I usually dress street/thug (my personal mix)... but today I dressed really nice and I got a lot of attention b/c people aren't used to seeing me that way. I got soooooooo many smiles it was CRAZY!

Just shows what fashion can do - especially in HS.

its not about what style u wear, as long as it looks clean.u should vary your styles.one day i dress street and the next day im in a black leather jacket wit dark pants.
girls like it when u can wear different styles .if u go in a club or bar wit the gal on the first date, my tip is to dress in black.with black clothes and shoes u can never go wrong.
its really important to have a nice watch.
and it must not always be a 230 bucks watch. a swatch irony for 80 bucks can do it too