Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Weird/Mixed Signals...

Ottocinclus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just joined this Forum after deciding to work on social skills and "game" for 2024. And wouldn't you know it: right when I get into this stuff an interesting situation pops up. I probably shouldn't be wasting time (over)analyzing "chick behavior," but I'd like your guys' take on this.

I'm a surfer. While walking across the parking lot toward the beach, I spot a girl giving me the "look." She held her gaze into my eyes the whole time. I should have went over to her, but I just waved. She didn't say anything or wave back, so I kept walking. She just kept staring though LOL and I got this vibe like she wouldn't speak to me anyway (I guess I was right; see next paragraph).

A couple days later I'm walking up the path from the beach to the parking lot. I turn a corner and boom! there she is right in front of me changing out of her wetsuit. She gives me the "look" again. I say "Hey!" and am about the reach out my hand and ask her name, but she immediately looks down at the ground and stays there. It got awkward, so I kept walking.

This really took me by surprise since, even though we're both "locals," she's always completely ignored me out on the water. Of course, she's very chatty with other dudes in the lineup. I've been coming to this spot consistently for quite a while. You'd think we'd be on speaking terms after all this time at least.

Now I catch her looking at me from a distance. She even giggles to herself if I say something funny, fall off my surfboard, etc. Seems awkward to try and talk to her though. She won't surf anywhere near me most of the time and will often just turn her back toward me when she is near. I saw her again in the parking lot the other day, and she just looked down at the ground until I passed. Definitely no eye stuff this time.

Anyway, this is getting too long, but does anybody have any idea what the heck is going on here?

MatureDJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The men she chats up are considered at a higher tier than you. How short are you? BTW, I used to BoogieBoard at Balboa Beach, LOL.

It's OVER for IgnoredSurferCels.

Bingo-Player

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just joined this Forum after deciding to work on social skills and "game" for 2024. And wouldn't you know it: right when I get into this stuff an interesting situation pops up. I probably shouldn't be wasting time (over)analyzing "chick behavior," but I'd like your guys' take on this.

I'm a surfer. While walking across the parking lot toward the beach, I spot a girl giving me the "look." She held her gaze into my eyes the whole time. I should have went over to her, but I just waved. She didn't say anything or wave back, so I kept walking. She just kept staring though LOL and I got this vibe like she wouldn't speak to me anyway (I guess I was right; see next paragraph).

A couple days later I'm walking up the path from the beach to the parking lot. I turn a corner and boom! there she is right in front of me changing out of her wetsuit. She gives me the "look" again. I say "Hey!" and am about the reach out my hand and ask her name, but she immediately looks down at the ground and stays there. It got awkward, so I kept walking.

This really took me by surprise since, even though we're both "locals," she's always completely ignored me out on the water. Of course, she's very chatty with other dudes in the lineup. I've been coming to this spot consistently for quite a while. You'd think we'd be on speaking terms after all this time at least.

Now I catch her looking at me from a distance. She even giggles to herself if I say something funny, fall off my surfboard, etc. Seems awkward to try and talk to her though. She won't surf anywhere near me most of the time and will often just turn her back toward me when she is near. I saw her again in the parking lot the other day, and she just looked down at the ground until I passed. Definitely no eye stuff this time.

Anyway, this is getting too long, but does anybody have any idea what the heck is going on here?

How old is this girl ? if your in your 50's I would like to think she is at least in her 40's

You're both a little bit old In the tooth for these playground games , just be a man and go and talk to her

Guys make so many dumb assumptions and preconceptions about girls without really knowing anything about them

Dr.Suave

Reaction score

Ottocinclus

Don Juan
Reaction score
How old is this girl ? if your in your 50's I would like to think she is at least in her 40's

You're both a little bit old In the tooth for these playground games , just be a man and go and talk to her

Guys make so many dumb assumptions and preconceptions about girls without really knowing anything about them
I know I'm too old for these "games," but her behavior is so strange that I just want to get an idea of what's going on.

She seems somewhere between mid 20s to mid 30s. One thing about me: I look *really* young for my age for some reason, like about 15-20 years younger. I'm not exaggerating; people always look at me funny for a second when I tell them how old I am. I suspect, though, that she might be older than she looks too. She's hot with good genes (and a really good surfer too).

I'm going to attempt to talk to her, but she just looks so uncomfortable and standoffish when I'm around that I can't really see an "in." I posted this on another forum, and one of the more respected dudes said that it's likely that she's really attracted to me but has a boyfriend, and that she just gives in and messes with me now and then because I'm around her all the time. But who knows.

Ottocinclus

Don Juan
Reaction score
It could be many things, No point trying to figure it out. Spin more plates and welcome to SoSuave
Yeah, I've been trying to chat more people up. I'm coming out of a "hibernation" phase. I pretty much didn't socialize (except through work and surfing) all through the Pandemic, and now I'm trying to get back out there.

SW15

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Ottocinclus !

Mixed signals are always a bad thing. If you find yourself thinking or saying those words, the outcome is usually bad. Bail on the situation.

If she's between 25-35 and you're 51, she would find out sooner or later that you're 51 and she's going to expect that you're rich. To get a 10+ year age gap, you generally need to be rich. You might be able to pull some younger women based on being 51 and looking substantially younger than 51.

I would do what @Dr.Suave says and pretend she doesn't exist, move on from the interaction, and spin more plates.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If she's young, she's probably shy about approaching a 'Daddy'.

Bingo-Player

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know I'm too old for these "games," but her behavior is so strange that I just want to get an idea of what's going on.

She seems somewhere between mid 20s to mid 30s. One thing about me: I look *really* young for my age for some reason, like about 15-20 years younger. I'm not exaggerating; people always look at me funny for a second when I tell them how old I am. I suspect, though, that she might be older than she looks too. She's hot with good genes (and a really good surfer too).

I'm going to attempt to talk to her, but she just looks so uncomfortable and standoffish when I'm around that I can't really see an "in." I posted this on another forum, and one of the more respected dudes said that it's likely that she's really attracted to me but has a boyfriend, and that she just gives in and messes with me now and then because I'm around her all the time. But who knows.
20 years is really too much of a gap , although older men romanticise the idea of young poon swooning over them the reality is on a very small portion of women in their 20's & 30's are going to want to be involved with a 50 year old Normie unless theres a lot of money & status involved or they have a PO*N style fetish for older d1ck again rare

Personally I wouldn't get too excited by all means approach her and get a better sense of the situation but don't start writing a romance novel in your mind

pipeman84

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
First time she looks at you, you wave and she ignores you. Second time she looks at you, you say Hi, she ignores you.
IMO this woman has mental issues and I would stop giving her any attention and just pretend she doesn't exist.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
20 years is really too much of a gap , although older men romanticise the idea of young poon swooning over them the reality is on a very small portion of women in their 20's & 30's are going to want to be involved with a 50 year old Normie unless theres a lot of money & status involved or they have a PO*N style fetish for older d1ck again rare
Too many unknown variables. But if there is a big age gap then yes... this is a typical response.

I'm in my mid-50s, and when I get indicators of attraction from much younger women, I just ignore it. It's much more likely you remind her of her dad or an uncle than real interest. There is a VERY small percentage of younger women who are into older guys and when you run across one of these, they typically make it very clear they are interested. A lot of the stuff you hear on this site about eye contact, and body language signals does not apply when you are a much older man and a younger woman.

If you look 20 years older than a woman then this is a fairly good gauge. But if a woman looks like she could be your daughter then normal interaction should not be expected.

But good on the OP actually trying to engage, because you just don't know for sure unless you try. If after that she recoils, then just save yourself some embarrassment or create an uncomfortable situation and just walk away and forget about her.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There is a VERY small percentage of younger women who are into older guys and when you run across one of these, they typically make it very clear they are interested. A lot of the stuff you hear on this site about eye contact, and body language signals does not apply when you are a much older man and a younger woman.
I agree with @RangerMIke on this. Regular 'flirting' signals don't mean much.

The best indicators are her touching you. If a young woman sits close to you and touches your arm / hand a lot, it's a strong indicator. Longing looks from afar don't mean much. Even then, it's best to stay cool and let her qualify her intentions before you show any interest.

Be a Daddy, not a sugar daddy.

RangerMIke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The best indicators are her touching you. If a young woman sits close to you and touches your arm / hand a lot, it's a strong indicator. Longing looks from afar don't mean much. Even then, it's best to stay cool and let her qualify her intentions before you show any interest.
Yep they make it very clear... and you would have to be an idiot if you don't notice this.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yep they make it very clear... and you would have to be an idiot if you don't notice this.
The physical contact indicator is the best sexual interest indication, whether it's a young woman or an older one, seeking touch during conversation is an unequivocal 'DTF', regardless of what she's saying while touching you.

Ottocinclus

Don Juan
Reaction score
If she's young, she's probably shy about approaching a 'Daddy'.
I doubt I give off "Daddy" vibes yet. 20- and 30-somethings are like 90% of what's showing interest when I go out. I still get asked for ID sometimes when I buy alcohol. I'm leaning more toward the has-a-boyfriend-already theory. I guess I'll find out sooner or later.

Ottocinclus

Don Juan
Reaction score
First time she looks at you, you wave and she ignores you. Second time she looks at you, you say Hi, she ignores you.
IMO this woman has mental issues and I would stop giving her any attention and just pretend she doesn't exist.
I forgot to mention that during the first encounter she actually started to walk toward me but then suddenly stopped, like she was "reeling" herself back in.

Ottocinclus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Too many unknown variables. But if there is a big age gap then yes... this is a typical response.

I'm in my mid-50s, and when I get indicators of attraction from much younger women, I just ignore it. It's much more likely you remind her of her dad or an uncle than real interest. There is a VERY small percentage of younger women who are into older guys and when you run across one of these, they typically make it very clear they are interested. A lot of the stuff you hear on this site about eye contact, and body language signals does not apply when you are a much older man and a younger woman.

If you look 20 years older than a woman then this is a fairly good gauge. But if a woman looks like she could be your daughter then normal interaction should not be expected.

But good on the OP actually trying to engage, because you just don't know for sure unless you try. If after that she recoils, then just save yourself some embarrassment or create an uncomfortable situation and just walk away and forget about her.
Her age is only my estimate. She could be older, and I'm pretty sure she thinks (like everybody else I've talked to at the beach) that I'm much younger. She talks to the other (much) older dudes at the beach anyway. She's super chatty with others in general.

Ottocinclus

Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree with @RangerMIke on this. Regular 'flirting' signals don't mean much.

Be a Daddy, not a sugar daddy.
Yeah, I'm just playing it cool for now but will jump at the first opportunity to talk to her. Even if there's nothing there, I can always use more surfer buddies.

AmsterdamAssassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score