UK Crime

pen

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Red_Tiger
I'm sorry to keep harping on about this, but because I am so annoyed about our useless Governments handling of criminal behaviour, I want to keep pointing out to you guys who live outside of the UK, crime is getting hell here. Were I live near Reading in Berkshire there was a hideous murder last weekend (drugs related) and so you should be aware the UK is getting a
a scary place.
Have to admit, that’s probably the worst crime I’ve heard of for a hell of a long time!!! Turned the tv over before cos I didn’t want to hear about it again :(

playing devils advocate, what were them girls doing in the car? not really sure how the government could have handled this better

There’s actually a documentary about “happy slapping” on tonight, that thing when chavs video phone their mates punching random strangers.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WastelandWarrior

I know in my state, the legislature of the 60's thought Hitler's ideas on gun control
Your post is totally spot-on, but it's not true that Hitler was extreme on gun control.
He merely continued the draconian gun laws established during the Weimar Republic which was the interbellum government before he took power.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dimebag_Darrell
carry a 9mm
9mm hotload with Winchester Silvertip jacketed hollow-points.
FMJ = less kinetic energy transfer to target, and risk of overpenetration.

But remember - shot placement counts above all else!

pen

Don Juan
Reaction score
They banned guns over here after the Dumblane shootings, since then, gun crime has increased 5 fold. :confused:

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The mass shooting in Tasmania triggered a lot of the newer gun control efforts in Australia and New Zealand.

Part of me still can't believe that tough, independent Aussies are almost completely bereft of their guns.
Australia has the population of New York State spread across a land mass roughly that of the US.
Huge tracts of land where you couldn't possibly expect any sort of help to arrive for an hour or more if you needed it.
And of course, gun crime has exploded there, too.

What a contrast with the state of Vermont - buy a handgun, then wear it openly or concealed - your choice, no permit.

Dilly

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by LowPlainsDrifter
The mass shooting in Tasmania triggered a lot of the newer gun control efforts in Australia and New Zealand.

Part of me still can't believe that tough, independent Aussies are almost completely bereft of their guns.
Australia has the population of New York State spread across a land mass roughly that of the US.
Huge tracts of land where you couldn't possibly expect any sort of help to arrive for an hour or more if you needed it.
And of course, gun crime has exploded there, too.

WTF!

Considering most of our population lives in concentrated areas on the eastern seaboard, that is pretty bad logic. You don't think people are armed here? Just check with your nearest Aussie farmer, and see what he has in his gun closet!! :D

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dilly,

My fellow American gun-rights advocates also monitor what goes on in other countries.

So I've heard that gun ownership has been severely curtailed in Australia and New Zealand in the last few years, with lots of buyback/confiscation programs.

I tip my hat to anyone who's held on to their arsenal despite all of that.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe Tony Blair was listening....., eventually.

The seed was lack of respect for anyone but yourself. It began not with this generation but the last. They had a 'fvck you' mentallity, now their kids are monsters.

Little clues are things like Saturday morning childrens TV. Games where they hit people and laugh, talking about lesbians yesterday!

It's also spoilt bratts where all the values revolve around the temple of the Mall. Parents can't say no, parents and teachers are in the power of the kids in the 'Fvck off or I'll say you touched me up' society we now live in.

I sometimes think those silly Armish buggers from 'Witness' have the right idea.

The irony is more people are unhappy now than when we had a hard life. My contreversial theory is a good war or major depression are natures way to 'reset' the value system of a society.

In the meantime try not to get too cynical, but watch your back as well.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cloud-uk
If anyone cares I'm going to York Uni now.
Me too :woo:

I didn't apply to Nottingham Uni for the same reason; gun crime. Living just on the outside of Liverpool I have seen a dramatic increase in the influx rate of 'chavs' into my town. Their mentality is incomprehensible: taunting people, hurting people, looking for trouble, and all in the name of fun. They're going no where in life, but they don't seem to care.

I've never had much trouble with chavs, but my brother's friend was attacked from behind in a park just two roads from me, and a group of school kids once tried to push me into the road as I was walking home.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Red_Tiger
I'm sorry to keep harping on about this, but because I am so annoyed about our useless Governments handling of criminal behaviour, I want to keep pointing out to you guys who live outside of the UK, crime is getting hell here. Were I live near Reading in Berkshire there was a hideous murder last weekend (drugs related) and so you should be aware the UK is getting a
a scary place.
if you think that is bad i live 1 mile away form where hte body was found, have been at that park a thousand times and know the best freind of the girl that was killed. It was terrible they assulted her for 3 hours, mutilating her including cutting her achiles tendons so she can not walk, and cutting off her t!ts!

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Checkmate,

I used to live near the Uni, down by the Juction.

Sound like it's getting even worse than when I was there.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by simon
Me too :woo:

I didn't apply to Nottingham Uni for the same reason; gun crime.

Oh FFS. Gun crime is not a big problem in Nottingham. I live there, I'm going into the city for a date on Friday. I'm not scared, it's "st. Annes" - a suburb where a lot of black people live (in no way do i mean to offend any black people, it's just thats who lives in st. annes)- most of whom carry firearms. Not many shootings have actually happened in the city.

I won't tell you people again. You come to nottingham for a bit, then you can whine about it.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
nottingham is 1 of 3 places i am considering for university. I know notingham wont be bad, my town has a shooting every 6 months or so, crime here is bad yet nothing has ever happened to me.

When i go to israel people here seem to think im crazy and that its a warzone and ill get shot for sure or blownup. But its fine there. So why would a few people complaining aobut gun crime in notingham put me off.

I was thinking dam it could be scary if i ever go to the USA any one could have a gun on them there must be loads of gun crime, then i remembered the same could apply for israel, where you see people carying uzi's as if its a mobile phone or somthing.

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WesCottII
I won't tell you people again. You come to nottingham for a bit, then you can whine about it.
I wasn't whining at all. Even though the problem of gun crime in Nottingham may have been exaggerated in the media after that one shooting involving those teenage girls, and it probably came across that the gun crime was my only reason for not applying, I did have other reasons.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by simon

I didn't apply to Nottingham Uni for the same reason; gun crime.
Gee, where did I get the Idea you didn't apply to Nottingham for one reason?