The role of the media in the feminisation of Western culture

DankNuggs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey Poindexter...lets leave the soap boxes in the public square...and leave the term papers for sociology class...

Solomon79

Don Juan
Reaction score
Look, are you an American?

Most of the Americans I've met are great. But from the impression I get, the majority of those I haven't met are ignorant close-minded ants.

The US government relies on people like you to die for them in wars they have manufactured. And the government doesn't even care about them while they die in the name of a meaningless flag.

No, I am not a Communist, a Muslim or an English 'punk.' Just pointing out your obvious insolence.

That sort of response just demonstrates the point I was making. The gullibility of the lowest common denominator. Racist nationalists who don't understand how the world works and who controls it. They are so busy trying to look masculine, they don't notice what's going on around them.

Calling somebody 'Poindexter' because they don't have the intellect of a flea. How 'masculine.'

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Samependro:
Just so you guys know, Gloria Allred...
Gloria Steinem and Glorida Allred are two completely different women.
DankNuggs:
Leave the term papers for sociology class.
For many guys here, this IS sociology class.

Solomon79

Don Juan
Reaction score
So wanting to know how the world works, who owns and runs it, and what their motives are, is 'Sociology' class?

This is typical of the effects of the dumbing-down of culture. It's obviously more 'masculine' to be an ignorant meathead, than somebody who actually has his eyes and ears open to the world around him, and won't adopt a slave mentality.

George Bush Jr just loves all the Vin Diesel wannabes out there. You can all go out and the kick the ass of some terrorists who his own father trained up, and he won't even care if you die in the process. He can see that they are cannon fodder driven by their own pride and their own attempts to fit a 'masculine' ideal, and willing to die for something they don't even understand.

This discussion board has deteriorated drastically over the last few months, which coincides with the beefing up of American society for combat in the phoney war on terrorism. Bush LOVES men who resort to aggression to prove their masculinity. It's a BIG WEAK SPOT he has successfully located, and the ants aren't even aware that they are being brainwashed.

Solomon79

Don Juan
Reaction score
'...Gloria Steinem and Glorida Allred are two completely different women...'

I think he might be referring to Steinem's communist background and motives. Hence 'Allred.' Get it? Or don't you understand that?

Sexual equality = breakdown of nuclear family = every commie's dream

Oscar Wilde

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Solomon79

This discussion board has deteriorated drastically over the last few months, which coincides with the beefing up of American society for combat in the phoney war on terrorism.
I agree with most of what you're saying here, but

a) this is not the place (aint politics banned here? for good reason)
b) why bother arguing, they're obviously not going to listen

Osc.

DankNuggs

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Deep Dish
For many guys here, this IS sociology class.
Good point DD, however, i think we can all agree that you're reaching for straws if you have to bring in the role of media in the feminisation of western culture into the mix. Take responsibility for acting like an AFC. Its not TV's fault, there have always been natural DJ's and jerks, and you would not have been outcast by acting DJ your whole life. You chose the passive route in becoming the person you are, and now is the time to change it and start living for yourself...

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The response of feminists Gloria Steinem, Gloria Allred, and Bella Abzug would seem to fit Festinger's concept of cognitive dissonance
Come on DeepDish, she is there! In the very first paragraph. Or, did I misunderstand your correction?

Fact- Gloria Allred is a feminist.
Fact- Feminists must go to hell! :D
Fact- Gloria Allred seeks fame out of Michael Jackson, just like Bashir and this Chandler guy.

Oh, and just to make a comment on the actual debate, I dont think its just femenisation of the Western Culture, femenisation is taking place all around the globe, acording to my humble opinion ofcourse...

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, you sound pretty intelligent, so I have a nugget of wisdom for you that you SHOULD be able to comprehend.

THERE ISN'T ANYONE PULLING YOUR STRINGS. THERE'S NOONE OUT TO GET YOU. LIFE IS TRULY WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT. SITTING AROUND COMPLAINING THAT SOME HIGHER POWER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR BRAINWASHING THE MASSES INTO SUBMISSION SERVES NO PURPOSE OTHER THAN TO HOLD YOU BACK. IF YOU WERE TO CONCENTRATE THE SAME AMOUNT OF EFFORT YOU EXPEND COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW OTHERS WRONG YOU INTO PUTTING YOURSELF INTO A POSITION OF INFLUENCE YOU MIGHT ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO PUT THINGS INTO PERSPECTIVE AND YOU ATTITUDE WOULD CHANGE COMPLETELY.

Men DO. Women ANALYZE and COMPLAIN.

Be a MAN.

lerxst

Don Juan
Reaction score
I grasp these concept. You're wrong. But you're very clever. How's that working out for you?

You belong to a generation of men raised by women. Look what it's done to you. You are angry and want to fight. What are you fighting? Everything that's broken and doesn't work in your life? No, your father. This is the greatest moment of your life and you're off somewhere, missing it. Listen. Your father was your model for God. And if your father bails out, what does that tell you about God? You have to consider the possibility that God doesn't like you. He hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen. His hate is better than His indifference. We are God's middle children, with no special place in history and no special attention. Unless we get God's attention, we have no hope of damnation or redemption. The lower you fall, the higher you fly. The farther you run, the more God wants you back.

Someday, you will die. And until you know that, you're useless. Look at the guys you look up to. The strongest and smartest men who have ever lived. You see all this potential, and God damn it, an entire generation is pumping gas and waiting tables; they're slaves with white collars. Advertisements have them chasing cars and clothes, working jobs they hate so they can buy **** they don't need. You are one of the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. You have no great war, or great depression. Your great war is a spiritual war. Your great depression is your life.

The things you own, they end up owning you. You buy furniture. You wonder, "What kind of dining room set *defines* me as a person?" You tell yourself, this is the last sofa you'll ever need in your life; no matter what else goes wrong, you've got the sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the right bed. The drapes. The rug. This is how you're good to yourself. This is how you fill up your life. And why is this? You were raised by television to believe that someday we'll all be millionaires and movie stars and rock stars -- but we won't. And you're learning that fact. And you're very, *very* pissed-off. You don't have any concept of what it is to hit bottom. Hitting bottom isn't a weekend retreat! It's not a seminar! Only after you've lost everything are you free to do anything! You see, you listen, but you don't get it! You have to forget everything you know, everything you think you know! And the sad fact is you are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We are all part of the same compost pile. You are not your job...you are not how much money you have in the bank...not the car you drive...not the contents of your wallet. You are not your ****ing khakis. You are the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world. You are a part from the same compost heap as everyone else. So, now what are you going to do? You couldn't even figure this out. It's been staring you in the face for months. Time for you to get over it all and do something to change yourself.

Props to Chuck Palahniuk.

Deep Dish

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SamePendo
Come on DeepDish, she is there! In the very first paragraph. Or, did I misunderstand your correction?
It's been ages since I read the article (and have had it bookmarked for that long). My bad.
DankNuggs
You chose the passive route in becoming the person you are, and now is the time to change it and start living for yourself...
That comment is a few years late. That's what I have been doing for the past few years. I'm pointing all this stuff out for the newer guys, and if society continues the way it has then this civilization is going to soon collapse, because that is what has happened all throughout history.

Solomon79

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments.

I think Str8up may have misunderstood my motivations in writing this post (my mindset is closer to yours than you might think, Str8up).

It's true, oh so true, that there is such a thing as free will. And it's there to be exercised. That's why I haven't been on this board for so long - I've been working on other things.

All respect to guys like Str8up who understand the concept of going for it, and taking life in your own hands. However, I thought it would be interesting to discuss the fact that the external environment we operate in IS changed by how the lowest common denominator thinks and behaves, and a knock-on effect of this is that we often have to ADAPT to the new playing field that this creates whether we like it or not.

For example, the gradual process of transforming early 1930s Germany into a police state...

All those Germans who did NOT vote for Hitler in the 1933 election STILL had to deal with the oppressive fascist environment created by the dumb masses. They couldn't just ignore it and say, 'Well, if I think positively and take control of my own life, these nasty Nazis might go away.'

That thought process may have enabled them to cope psychologically, and thus change their mindset, but it wouldn't have changed the reality of the environment they lived in. The opposing force was just too overwhelming, and the free will of a few individuals just wasn't enough in the face of a police state which used a 'masculine' ideal to recruit and brainwash its staff.

So, Str8up, I appreciate your comments, but I'm not seeking to 'blame' other people for my own personal failures. I was thinking more of the current political climate and how this affects people's perceptions of what is masculine and what isn't. I don't like it, but I'm not 'blaming' it. I'm just dismayed at how easily manipulated people are, because of their lack of values or direction - I am much more of your way of thinking that you might believe.

Solomon79

Don Juan
Reaction score
'...The things you own, they end up owning you. You buy furniture. You wonder, "What kind of dining room set *defines* me as a person?" You tell yourself, this is the last sofa you'll ever need in your life; no matter what else goes wrong, you've got the sofa issue handled. Then the right set of dishes. Then the right bed. The drapes. The rug. This is how you're good to yourself. This is how you fill up your life...'

LOL. Excellent, and very true. Popular opinion also ends up owning a lot of people, without them even realising it. Instead of thinking like a 'free' individual, they think the popular thoughts that own them via their consumeristic lifestyle. Political opinions own people. 'Right wing' ideas are perceived as more masculine...

'...Air pollution...? Looks clean to me!!'

George Bush Jr

Yes, I admit that was a funny joke from George, it had me in stitches. But the short, sharp answer is NOT always the right one, even though we have people trying to condition us that it's always the more 'masculine' route to go down. Hell, why not get rid of the whole fcuking rainforest, just to make us look like men, because that's what the media says 'real men' would do?

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Does the media effect our thinking? Yes, of course. But there is no conspiracy to steer the masses in a certain direction by any one individual or small group of people.

There will ALWAYS be some who are more powerful than others. Those people will attempt to exert influence to obtain what THEY want from life, and will continue to do so for as long as they don't encounter resistance. That's the way human societies have evolved, for the overall good of the species.

There is nothing wrong with greed. It is a healthy part of human nature. Religion would have you believe it is BAD and should be repressed, but it's only natural. In fact it is ESSENTIAL for our overall welfare and perpetuation. It isn't always what is good for the individual. Sometimes the weak must suffer for the good of society as a whole.

So yes, the media does alter perception. But it only alters it to the point that it should be resting in the first place.