Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

strength vs size

wait_out

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Carlito, terrible example. Functional strength for our 160lb firefighter is dragging his 190lb friend out of buildings on scenarios, over and over and over. Real people -- not weights. If you weigh less than 200, a strong 160lb *experienced* firefighter might even get you out of a building faster than a 190lb weightlifter because he's used to carrying people.

That's the value of a practical training methodology. Not arguing that bigger guys are stronger -- but a 190lb guy who practices carrying people, will be better at carrying people than a 190lb guy who likes to bench press. Functional strength makes perfect sense -- irrelevant fitness scams adopting the name don't invalidate the concept.

Training has to be tailored to your goals and your needs. There is not one "best" program. (sorry crossfitters =D)

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I watched an amateur strongman competition once. The majority competing in it are recreational lifters, some being experienced powerlifters who've competed at states & nationals.

The powerlifters didn't win it although they've lifted more weights in the big 3 lifts than the ones used in the strongman. None of them could pick up a 90kg granite stone. That's because they've never trained with it. A 70kg guy who trained in picking odd heavy objects up before could pick up that stone.

The top 3 winners were guys who are strong lifters, but also train in strongman style and have physically demanding jobs where they have to pick up heavy sh!t all the time.

I've picked up people - girls - and tossed them up in the air, as a part of my dancing aerial practice. Being strong is a bonus, but it is very different to lifting barbells. People aren't as convenient to lift as a barbell with weights attached.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wait_out said:
Carlito, terrible example. Functional strength for our 160lb firefighter is dragging his 190lb friend out of buildings on scenarios, over and over and over. Real people -- not weights. If you weigh less than 200, a strong 160lb *experienced* firefighter might even get you out of a building faster than a 190lb weightlifter because he's used to carrying people.

That's the value of a practical training methodology. Not arguing that bigger guys are stronger -- but a 190lb guy who practices carrying people, will be better at carrying people than a 190lb guy who likes to bench press. Functional strength makes perfect sense -- irrelevant fitness scams adopting the name don't invalidate the concept.

Training has to be tailored to your goals and your needs. There is not one "best" program. (sorry crossfitters =D)
You understand the definition of functional strength. :)

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
A 70kg guy who trained in picking odd heavy objects up before could pick up that stone.

I've picked up people - girls - and tossed them up in the air, as a part of my dancing aerial practice. Being strong is a bonus, but it is very different to lifting barbells. People aren't as convenient to lift as a barbell with weights attached.

EXACTLY! That's why I train for strength AND to look physically fit while not bulking up. And as you and wait_out pointed out in your examples, it IS possible and factual to be strong without being bulky. Heck, I know it because I'm one myself. I know I'm not the only one. There were a couple of other guys who used to post in here that they wanted to be in the 150s class. They were probably mostly after aesthetics but they don't post here much now probably because of the negative opinion voiced by a lot of the other regulars here. If you want to train for strength and aesthetics without bulking, speak up.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, bigger on average means stronger, hence there are weight classes in strength-related sports, but of course there are other factors. For most people who are not at the peak of their training (like the elite sportsmen in their weight classes), strength is mainly about neuro-muscular connections.

Personally I train for strength. Aesthetics is second by a long way. Atm I'm not sure if I want to stay in the 82.5kg class or the 75kg class, although I believe I'd look great in the 75kg class, ripped (if I lose a further 5kg of fat right now I'd be there).

Not much interested in bulking. If it comes with my training for strength, fine, but I don't go after it specifically. I'm big enough for my height.

Plus it always feels great to lift more than a bigger bloke. :D

There's nothing I dislike more than a poser. Being big without the strength to back it up does not do it for me.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
There's nothing I dislike more than a poser. Being big without the strength to back it up does not do it for me.
+ 999,999,999,999,999

There's nothing more pointless than being muscular and weak. It's like putting a loud exhaust and big spoiler on a 90 horsepower Honda Civic.

JDiddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Of course you can combine a size routine (high rep for chins, dips, shrugs, shoulder builders, tri, bi, rows/lats, calves ect) around a power routine (1-5rep squats, deadlifts, flat bench, powercleans, ohp)

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
+ 999,999,999,999,999

There's nothing more pointless than being muscular and weak. It's like putting a loud exhaust and big spoiler on a 90 horsepower Honda Civic.
I see this **** written here all the time, with exception to synthol users. SHOW ME all these guys that "look muscular" and are weak. Like many mentioned people get strong in their own respective rights be it powerlifting or whatever.

I swear the **** said above is said by all the small people to boost their ****in' egos and it's pathetic. I have yet to meet some one who's noticeably muscular upon seeing them and are considered "weak".

Most of you would **** your pants if you saw in person what most of the big offseason bodybuilders (natural and assisted) are hitting for REPS on top sets when doing machines/deadlifts/squats/rows/curls whatever.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
I see this **** written here all the time, with exception to synthol users. SHOW ME all these guys that "look muscular" and are weak.
We've already had this discussion. I see them ALL THE TIME at my gym, and there are even some who post on this board.

wait_out

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ross Enamait said:
I can’t count how many times I’ve seen one exercise enthusiast argue with another simply because the two had different preferences. If you’ve been on an online forum, you will know exactly what I’m talking about. Internet message boards can really bring out the worst in people. Here is a common scenario. One member expresses an interest in bodybuilding. He will then be chastised by someone who believes his training lacks functionality. Both members may have desk jobs, yet one believes the bodybuilder will not be prepared for his daily elevator ride to the office. Perhaps the anti-bodybuilder also believes the other man will not be prepared to encounter aliens from outer space? Even if this were the case, does it really matter? Why waste time griping over such trivial topics? If aliens invade my neighborhood, I will reach for my shotgun, not my weighted vest and jump rope.

If you want to be a bodybuilder, I commend your efforts. If you want to be a marathon runner, I commend your efforts. In fact, I’ll commend your efforts no matter what you are training to accomplish. I commend anyone who gets up and exercises in a way that they enjoy. Who am I to say what you should enjoy? No one has that right. The only people that I tell what to do are those who pay me to prepare them for a specific event. Then it becomes my job. Other than that, why not have some fun while you are training? You don’t need to satisfy anyone but yourself, so do what you want to do.
Nailed it.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't go to the gym to watch other guys workout, or to snicker "heh heh heh he has huge arms but his strength isn't functional" or anything relating to the petty, womanly attitudes I see expressed here. Just do your work and shut up, why are you so worried about what everyone else is doing or thinking?

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Discussions on whether training for aesthetics or strength is "best" are pointless... people are individuals w/ individuals goals and unique metabolisms that respond to differing forms of training/nutrition. My goals for example change depending on what's going on in my life... I used to sled and sprint at the university level so i focussed more on power and explosion.... I was a stripper for over 3.5 years, so I focused on aesthetics.... I'm getting married next year in a destination wedding, so I wanna look ripped for that...

I'll tailor my training and diet to achieving my goals. I could care less what anyone else does. In the end its all about competing against yourself and being the best that you can be. Yes its satisfying to have all the big bodybuilders stare at me when I rep out pull ups w/ 100 lbs around my waist or powerclean what they deadlift. BUT they'll be the ones laughing when I have injuries that prevent me from training, while they're healthy and injury free.

This forum is designed to share ideas, get feedback and encourage/push each other... petty dogmatic arguments are a simply a waste of time. You might as well argue about what religion is the "best"...

I'll do what works for me, and you do what works for you... 'nuff said

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Those who follow my posts in this forum know that I never put anyone down for what they're doing. People have different goals in life but it is pathetic and weak to mock people who don't see things the way you do. There are guys who powerlift exclusively and they may even be obese but they're doing what they want to do. There are bodybuilders who work out for competitions, they may or may not have the strength of powerlifters but they do what they want to do. And there are guys who train for strength and aesthetics but choose not to bulk up. It doesn't really matter, the point is to do what you want to do. But the weak ones are those who are afraid of differing opinions.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I just want to look good naked. (oh btw fuglydude, I've been doing hammer chinups lately, bw+90 lbs is just within my GRASP GRRR...:) ...Should I just keep hammering sets with 60-70 lbs for reps until those become easy and shoot for 90 again? )

On a serious note, these last few posts have been humbling:).

This is my opinon, this is a site with the goals of men to better themselves and as a side benefit get better at dating/attracting women. So 90% of the people come to the Health&Fitness Forum well for the most part to look good naked. :) Most women could care less what a guy benches, squats or deadlifts for a max or whatever exact inches their legs or arms are. As long as when you strip them freakin' clothes you don't feel unconfident and she sees something that resembles A MAN. ....end of rant.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Carlito... not sure how the 60-70 lbs feels for you. How many reps are you getting? If you feel strong and explosive w/ that weight, why not try and see how many you can get with 90 lbs? Hammer grip will really help to get back recruitment, and help develop grip strength. Maybe experiment with different grips... I find I'm the strongest with narrow underhand grip.

I typically try and cork out 3-4 sets of 6-10 reps depending on how tired I am. I'm a low-rep guy though, so you'll have to figure out what rep ranges and training volume will help you achieve your goals. Weighted pull ups, as I'm sure you know, will really bring up your deads!

I strongly recommend doing weighted pull ups/dips for spinal decompression. It'll really make your lower back feel good for squats/deads. I do them in between sets of squats/deads. Who needs a chiropractor when you have 100 lbs of spinal decompressing iron?? :D