Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

strength vs size

another_nice_guy

Don Juan
Reaction score
i have been doing stronglifts 5x5 for a few months now. Have noticed big reduction of gut but not that much increase in overall mass.

Do many Don Juans subscribe to the "training for strength, not size" thing.

Im beginning to have my doubts as at the end of the day I want to look good. I dont play sports so dont need functional strength.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When will people use their farking brains and understand that muscles don't come from the air you breathe at the gym?

runner83

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Simply put, there's 3 key things you have to do:

1) In the gym: make your focus to continually either increase the weight you're lifting and/or increase the number of reps you can lift. I generally aim for a 5 -7 rep range for most exercises.

2) Out of the gym: rest and don't over train.

3) Nutrition is at least 50% of the entire process if you want to gain lean muscle mass. You must eat quality food and increase your calorie intake. Never go more than 2 - 3 hours without eating...that's muscle building suicide.

As a guide, when I first started lifting seriously, I gained about 10kg (22 pounds) in 10 weeks, since I made a big effort to increase my food intake (and I was also doing 6 days of cardio per week, 40 - 60 minutes per session!)..

I also significantly increased my weight limits, but my overall body dimensions while they did increase were not really significant to begin with (at least, not with my shirt on).

Just keep at it, realise that muscle needs to built from something (not just air in the gym...) and good luck!

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The two main questions are: 1) Are you eating right? 2) Are you adding weight to the bar consistently. You can't get bigger (i.e. more muscular) without getting stronger. It just won't happen.

If in doubt post your diet & progression here.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
another_nice_guy said:
i have been doing stronglifts 5x5 for a few months now. Have noticed big reduction of gut but not that much increase in overall mass.

Im beginning to have my doubts as at the end of the day I want to look good. I dont play sports so dont need functional strength.
What was your bf% and weight before starting 5x5 and what is it now?

Post your diet as well.

search1ng

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
btw, you think you don't need strength. You'll be amazed at how useful additional strength is in every-day life. Increased physical ability across the board is not something to look down on.

another_nice_guy

Don Juan
Reaction score
search1ng said:
btw, you think you don't need strength. You'll be amazed at how useful additional strength is in every-day life. Increased physical ability across the board is not something to look down on.
thats the thing though, I dont see a need, personally. If I work a normal office job etc, where is the need?

the thing that gets bandied about a lot is "if you are in a fight etc" - I did martial arts for a few years so dont need strength to defend myself

also, I've been eating more, take protein, have clean diet, dont drink more than 6 pints of beer a week and been increasing the weight consistently.

Powerlifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
If you really want to see a program work just look at it's creator in my opinion stronglifts creator might be strong as an ox but his size wouldn't scare a kitten off at least thats the way he appears in pictures or video.

So strength over size is the debate many who are big with mass are weak not all some are already big before hitting the weights and many who are strength trainers are bad asses but don't appear that way until you feel your 300 lbs butt being thrown through the air challenging them because you talked down about there Mother.

Powerlifter

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
another_nice_guy said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7LztLUNTW8
Oh my, they're using machines and barbells...want to get big? Utilize everything you FEEL works for you the best.

You train to get stronger in the rep ranges that will provide your muscles with the needed muscle tension to create size. Hence serious bodybuilders/people going for size, aim to hit higher reps with moderate to heavy weights.
Longer tension/strong contractions=more muscle stimulation/damage,
adequate amounts of calories coming from protein/fats/carbs=compensation for work done and the bricks needed to repair and build you up bigger
sleep=repair mode/release of growth hormones

I hate seeing people who want to get as much size as possible thrown on some starting strength routine or stronglifts 5x5 only lifting 3 days a week. Can you add size training full body 3 days a week ? yes. Is it optimal? I don't think so, especially if you can train 4-5 days a week using an upper/lower body push pull type split or bodybuilding type split.

JDiddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
Powerlifter said:
If you really want to see a program work just look at it's creator in my opinion stronglifts creator might be strong as an ox but his size wouldn't scare a kitten off at least thats the way he appears in pictures or video.
Actually for 5 years of 'strength training' he is pretty damn weak.
Any person putting in abit of effort can top his stats within 12 months easily

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
JDiddy said:
Funny part is he has been training something like ten years....If after 5 years of training and if I looked like I didn't lift seriously, I would quit.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Functional strength is extremely important not just for sports and fighting but everyday life. There is a misconception about size and strength: you don't have to be huge to be physically strong. You can have a toned, fit looking body and be much stronger than what many people may expect. But do what works best for you.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being_the_Don said:
Functional strength is extremely important not just for sports and fighting but everyday life. You can have a toned, fit looking body
lol@ toned ....I just can't help but think of little school girls and 130 lb only hitting bench and curling ab work outs amebercrombie & fitch soy boys using that word. :crackup: :crazy: :cheer:

It's either you put on some noticable muscle or you don't, training for functional strength or training with machines it doesn't matter. I love how people who suck at eating enough to put on some muscle or don't reach physique goals use the old "It's cause I'm training for functional strength" excuse...what a crock of ****. If you don't look like you lift seriously after 5-6 years of training....I say you're just going through the damn motions like every other yuppie.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
lol@ toned ....I just can't help but think of little school girls and 130 lb only hitting bench and curling ab work outs amebercrombie & fitch soy boys using that word. :crackup: :crazy: :cheer:

It's either you put on some noticable muscle or you don't, training for functional strength or training with machines it doesn't matter. I love how people who suck at eating enough to put on some muscle or don't reach physique goals use the old "It's cause I'm training for functional strength" excuse...what a crock of ****. If you don't look like you lift seriously after 5-6 years of training....I say you're just going through the damn motions like every other yuppie.
Carlito,

On this very Forum I once saw a video of a guy who at 158 pounds can deadlift about 400 pounds, does 33 consecutive chin ups, and can leap about 6 feet in the air. And he's about 5'8" which makes him about the same height as a lot of guys in this Forum. How many people do you know who can do any of those things? The guy was lean muscular but not bulky. There ARE people who can and do look healthy without bulking up.

Functional strength is functional strength. The ones you're referring to do NOT have functional strength. My definition of functional strength would be the ability to carry at LEAST 160 pounds up a flight of stairs, be able to pull your own body weight up at LEAST twice, bench your own weight, lift a MINIMUM of 200 pounds from the floor and lift at LEAST 100 pounds overhead. These would come in handy if you have to carry someone out of a house, car, etc. in an emergency situation. It comes from exercise and diet. If their nutrition is poor then they probably won't be able to even get out of bed, much less do any lifting.

But there are a lot of weight lifters who can't even do a simple pull up or chin up. How's that for functional strength?

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being_the_Don said:
Carlito,

On this very Forum I once saw a video of a guy who at 158 pounds can deadlift about 400 pounds, does 33 consecutive chin ups, and can leap about 6 feet in the air. And he's about 5'8" which makes him about the same height as a lot of guys in this Forum. How many people do you know who can do any of those things? The guy was lean muscular but not bulky. There ARE people who can and do look healthy without bulking up.

Functional strength is functional strength. The ones you're referring to do NOT have functional strength. My definition of functional strength would be the ability to carry AT least 160 pounds up a flight of stairs, be able to pull your own body weight up at LEAST twice, bench your own weight, lift a MINIMUM of 200 pounds from the floor and lift at LEAST 100 pounds overhead. These would come in handy if you have to carry someone out of a house, car, etc. in an emergency situation. It comes from exercise and diet. If their nutrition is poor then they probably won't be able to even get out of bed, much less do any lifting.
Damn so when' I'm weighing 200+ lbs and hurt my leg inside a burning building....I guess I'm ****ed if one of these only "functional strength training guys is around" eh....Sorry but I'd rather have a 190+ lb strongman/bodybuilder/fireman who's jacked and who's maybe even using steroids save my ass over some 160 lb "functionl strength" dude struggling to lift me.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
Damn so when' I'm weighing 200+ lbs and hurt my leg inside a burning building....I guess I'm ****ed if one of these only "functional strength training guys is around" eh....Sorry but I'd rather have a 200+ lb strongman/bodybuilder/fireman who's jacked and who's maybe even using steroids save my ass over some 160 lb "functionl strength" dude struggling to lift me.

I think it's more an issue of your image of what equates as strong. You mentioned that you were a skinny guy but now you're up to about 175 pounds. That's good. You've made progress. But it is a FACT that there are people who weigh less than you but are much stronger than you. And no one in their right mind wants a steroid user saving them. And steroids is cheating anyway.

The reason I love strength training so much is that I know I'm moving at my own steam. My maximum dL was 410 pounds about 1.5 years ago. After that I lifted a few times at 405 pounds but I stopped because I felt I wasn't progressing fast enough. I laid off them for a long time, then got back into them for a while, stopped then started again a couple of months ago. When I did that lift at 400 pounds a little while back, I felt glad that I was able to do it but also a little sad because I should not have stopped in the first place. Exercise is fun for me, I enjoy it. You should just enjoy it, too.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Being_the_Don said:
You've made progress. But it is a FACT that there are people who weigh less than you but are much stronger than you. And no one in their right mind wants a steroid user saving them. And steroids is cheating anyway.
You're naive to not acknowledge how many people use gear, from firemen, policemen, soldiers, to your everyday average joe. I say they should allow test for all athletes...so many are ****in' using the **** it's pointless to try and regulate every person...level the playing field.

...I'm planning to use steroids after I get over 200 lbs. Only testosterone...as all you're doing is giving your body more of what it produces naturally anyways...You know what when I'm 60-70 years old and every one is complaing how ****y they feel or how they're all shriveling up, I'll be doing some small cycles and still looking good/feeling good and ****ing me some broads left and right. Testosterone is not the issue and it's not cheating unless you play a mandated sport, the issues are with the misguided, naive and uneducated on the matter of test use.

I' know I'll have a good chuckle when I'm still training hard, playing pick up games of football/basketball in my golden years and dudes are on strollers and in wheel chairs *****in'

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
CarlitosWay said:
You're naive to not acknowledge how many people use gear, from firemen, policemen, soldiers, to your everyday average joe. I say they should allow test for all athletes...so many are ****in' using the **** it's pointless to try and regulate every person...level the playing field.

...I'm planning to use steroids after I get over 200 lbs. Only testosterone...as all you're doing is giving your body more of what it produces naturally anyways...You know what when I'm 60-70 years old and every one is complaing how ****y they feel or how they're all shriveling up, I'll be doing some small cycles and still looking good/feeling good and ****ing me some broads left and right. Testosterone is not the issue and it's not cheating unless you play a mandated sport, the issues are with the misguided, naive and uneducated on the matter of test use.

I' know I'll have a good chuckle when I'm still training hard, playing pick up games of football/basketball in my golden years and dudes are on strollers and in wheel chairs *****in'

I don't use it, I get stronger naturally. "Give and it shall be given to you" is a true saying. In this case, give it your devotion and your own care and more (strength) will be given to you. For the love of what you do and the love of life. :)

Powerlifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
With that said I think he spends most of his time training his website for money instead of himself.

I'll take your word for it haven't visited his site in over 3 years now.

Powerlifter

JDiddy said: