Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

staring down=dominance?

beastmaster79

Don Juan
Reaction score
so i got in the habit of trying to keep my head up when i walk and if someone catches my gaze i stare them down until they look away. and if its a hottie i'll maybe give her a smirk. i've noticed this has made me much more comfortable around people but i've also noticed it makes dudes want to fight.(kids in my dorm who i stare down in the daytime tend to get aggro when they're drunk at night). is this antagonism i'm met with just part of being an alpha or should i tone it down a bit?

also does maintaining eye contact until the other person looks away always mean you're dominant?

this head-up staring down deal is probably safe unless im in the ghetto right?

i feel like when you're an alpha people will test you and dealing with it is just part of the game. if so should i try to get more jacked and train martial arts so i can really back it up if i have to?

DJVladdy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do you have Aspergers?

(no offence if u do man, we'll give u advice)
Because if you do not, then this is a sad sad post

Cage

Reaction score
You shouldn't look down when you're walking. It gives a negative vibe. However, you shouldn't stare at people when they walk by either.

Just look forward and go wherever you have to go.

jookins

Don Juan
Reaction score
lol, you can maintain some eye contact but you dont have to stare people down like you're a dog. but a good way to get people to not want to fight you when you look at them is to smile. don't you usually feel threatened when someone is just starting at you? but if they smile you think ahh they arent hostile its ok. But if the guy that is staring at you is already hostile, a guy looking to start stuff, drunk or something, don't look away. he will think you're an easy target if you look away.

PrinceBeavis

Banned
Reaction score
You're not supposed to stare down men! You make some eye contact, then greet them in a way that says you're a solid, but friendly dude. If you stare them down, they'll think you either want to fight, or that you're a bone smoker.

Hitman10000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Staring deep into a girl's eyes: Okay

Staring deep into a guy's eyes (if you're straight): Not Okay

Strong Eye Contact to the misinformed does not mean "Alphaness"

beastmaster79

Don Juan
Reaction score
DJVladdy, you're a faggot

talking **** over the net is for ***** faggots so go **** yourself mother****er . i dont look around for somone to stare down. im talking about if I catch somone eyeing me when im walking around at a club/party. its either them or me that is going to break the eye contact so i figure breaking it first means submission? im not really into prolonged eye contact with men. i just am curious about the ramifications in terms dominance/submission if i break eye contact first in such a situation.

Street_Fighter

Don Juan
Reaction score
PrinceBeavis said:
You're not supposed to stare down men! You make some eye contact, then greet them in a way that says you're a solid, but friendly dude. If you stare them down, they'll think you either want to fight, or that you're a bone smoker.
best answer yet :cool:

it's true though..why in the world would you intentionaly 'want' to stare down another dude unless you have a problem with them?

a knod or acknowledgement of another cool dude or a what's up is cool but if you stare at someone,especially glarringly - anticipate either a fight or deh buttsects..either or is bad,unless you're into that sort of things,then by all means...:whistle:

Alphamale1821

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Staring at a guy for a good period of time is body language for "mugging" which can be fighting language. Usually when you stare at another guy for a period of time you are sizing them up and it's simply disrespectful to stare. This is a common thing "Haters" and "muggers" do. People who "mug" you when walking by see something in you that they don't hate so they begin to get jealous. When looking at a male for a long time it just a natural instinct to think "WTF is he looking at, does he have a problem" Eye contact with a chick is a sign of "hey". Eye contact to a fellow male is "WTF you staring". This of course if you just gaze at the guy and do no kind of nod or jesture of cool guy whats up.

beastmaster79

Don Juan
Reaction score
in any normal interaction there should be moments of prolonged eye contact. say at least a few seconds.

say you have 7 such instances during a brief interaction. during five of those instances man A holds his gaze until man B averts his gaze. for two of them man A averts his gaze first.

so what you guys are saying is that man A is a polesmoker and man B is a cool guy who isn't a fag.

i would say that man A is dominant and man B is submissive.

PhatE1vis

Don Juan
Reaction score
Beastmaster - what is with this preoccupation with asserting your dominance? Needing to "win" these staring contests doesn't make you dominant - in fact, quite the opposite. You have something to prove, which is NOT dominant.

Ever notice how little dogs are yappy and quick to bite, while big dogs just go with the flow and can't be bothered?

You're a Shih Tzu, my friend.

Alphamale1821

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bottom line don't stare another man down unless you make a friendly gesture or just assume that with you staring him down like a hawk you might get your ass beat or shiit talked to.

demonic

Don Juan
Reaction score
I've started doing this this week (Walking around with head held high and not looking down etc..but not staring) and the ammount of people who look down is amazing.

paintballz

Don Juan
Reaction score
demonic said:
I've started doing this this week (Walking around with head held high and not looking down etc..but not staring) and the ammount of people who look down is amazing.

it kind of makes u think your doing something wrong, i notice it to

Hitman10000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
beastmaster79 said:
in any normal interaction there should be moments of prolonged eye contact. say at least a few seconds.

say you have 7 such instances during a brief interaction. during five of those instances man A holds his gaze until man B averts his gaze. for two of them man A averts his gaze first.

so what you guys are saying is that man A is a polesmoker and man B is a cool guy who isn't a fag.

i would say that man A is dominant and man B is submissive.
How can A be dominant and B be submissive? More like A is aggressive than B thinking there are better ways at life than being ready to fight for a worthless cause.

By the way you responded to other posts, I think you got a long ways to being the "man" you think you want to be.

fliptone

Reaction score
Throughout my typical day, let's say on campus at school for example, I often cross paths with people walking in the opposite direction of me. They are usually walking straight and looking forward. Sometimes the person will seem to look at everything around me, or behind me, or through me and it seems as if they are either SERIOUSLY interested in their surroundings or they are trying to avoid eye contact. At those times where the person does happen to look up at me and make eye contact, it is common for them to acknowledge that I am looking back at them and then they will quickly look away.

I'm not too sure if it has much to do with my dominance over the other person being that they looked away first but more as a sign of how comfortable they are with themselves. I've noticed that in speech class, people are just very uncomfortable with themselves while other people are looking at them.

Vixen

Don Juan
Reaction score
PhatE1vis said:
Beastmaster - what is with this preoccupation with asserting your dominance? Needing to "win" these staring contests doesn't make you dominant - in fact, quite the opposite. You have something to prove, which is NOT dominant.

Ever notice how little dogs are yappy and quick to bite, while big dogs just go with the flow and can't be bothered?

You're a Shih Tzu, my friend.
:yes: Exactly.

This dude makes my pet poodles look hardcore.