Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Squats plateauing incredibly quickly

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My squats are awful, embarassingly awful. 5 reps at 185 is the best I can currently do, from a starting weight of 110 for 5 reps three months ago.

Everything else progresses steadily, ive gained nearly 30lbs (though 0 in the past 2 weeks for some reason?), but squats plateau so quickly. I plateaued originally at 160lbs and switched to 20 reps for a while to get past it. Ive tried narrow, straight foot stance and wide, 45% angled stance and the difference is negligible. Ive tried doing it 3x a week to once every 5 days as well.

Whats baffles me is that my 20-rep breathing squat is around 130! thats only 55lbs less! wtf?

It feels as if my body isnt recruiting all the muscles it can, like it just stubbornly refuses to. My thighs and butt are somehow massively disproportionate to the rest of my body, ive went from sz 30 waist to sz 36, though my squat has barely improved. I look like those black girls in rap videos lol.

Im considering just dropping it entirely for a while since its not progressing, the time I spend squatting could be used to improve another lift. If my squats arent improving, all im doing is tiring out my legs and stalling my deadlift recovery right?

Any advice?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your squat weight is bad compared to who? People at the gym? They never go below parallel if they do em at all.

Have you been doing em below parallel?

Here's a good one, do squats with a really light weight, but go as low as you possibly can (as low as you can even with no weight) with your nuetral arch and knee's behind toes. This will take you down way below parallel, with your ass just a few inches off the floor. I did this for the first time today, it was awesome.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
Your squat weight is bad compared to who? People at the gym? They never go below parallel if they do em at all.
Thanks for the encouragement, but 185 is lousy no matter how I spin it; I dont say that in discouragement or depression, just honesty. And its not so much the # thats bothering me, its the lack of progress. Though my deads are low at just under 300, Im still happy since I was recently at 135.

spesmilitis said:
Have you been doing em below parallel?

Here's a good one, do squats with a really light weight, but go as low as you possibly can (as low as you can even with no weight) with your nuetral arch and knee's behind toes. This will take you down way below parallel, with your ass just a few inches off the floor. I did this for the first time today, it was awesome.
Yeah thats a killer. I used to do go all the way down, but I had lower back pain, I think I arched it at the very bottom and had to re-straighten it as I started to lift. I now go below parallel, about where the area just above my inner knee meets the top of my calf

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your arse is getting bigger and your squats aren't improving then you're getting fat. But the true measure of progress is the 20 rep squat, if that is going up you're doing fine.

As for your top squat weight, where are you failing the lift? Below parallel, at parallel, what?

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
If your arse is getting bigger and your squats aren't improving then you're getting fat.
Yikes! I honestly hadnt even considered that :(

Warboss Alex said:
But the true measure of progress is the 20 rep squat, if that is going up you're doing fine.
Would you recommend I use that exclusively in place of 3x5 for a while?

Warboss Alex said:
As for your top squat weight, where are you failing the lift? Below parallel, at parallel, what?
From the bottom position to just above parallel; If I can make it just above parallel I make the rep. I also tend to lean forward too much early on in bad reps.

If that gives you insight on weaknesses could you please explain?

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If your plateauing on squats which is exactly what is happening to me , you need to strengthen your back...Start doing Deadlifts (from the ground).

NEVER TAKE A BREAK FROM SQUATTING, do it once a week, and do weightless squats in between that time, i find doing weightless squats has helped.

I'm not a huge fan of going as low as possible, when your comfortable enough with squatting you will be able to go as low as you can, but honestly...focusing on how low you go will just hinder you from getting used to the weight and just lifting it in reps..when your good and ready to go very low you will..

*and a reminder if your sore don't do anything

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lewis,

Google for pause squats and box squats and do low rep work on these to overload your squatting muscles. Keep doing the 20 rep squat after these to continue growth (as the box/pause squats don't really make you grow). This should get your squat moving again.

Also, you need to do core work: pullthroughs, good mornings, SLDLs, sumo leg press, glute ham raises, hyperextensions.. pick 1-2 exercises and do 10-20 reps on leg day. What does your leg workout look like?

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
..when your good and ready to go very low you will..

\
You can go low whenever you want. Swallow your pride and use a lighter weight.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks drum&bass. I've tried bodyweight squats as part of an endurance program years ago. Have you tried Hindu squats?

Warboss Alex said:
Lewis,

Google for pause squats and box squats and do low rep work on these to overload your squatting muscles. Keep doing the 20 rep squat after these to continue growth (as the box/pause squats don't really make you grow). This should get your squat moving again.

Also, you need to do core work: pullthroughs, good mornings, SLDLs, sumo leg press, glute ham raises, hyperextensions.. pick 1-2 exercises and do 10-20 reps on leg day. What does your leg workout look like?
Thanks. Box squats look awesome, pause squats seem more practical, especially without a partner in an upscale gym (im the only who does deads and squats). I sometimes go all the way down and 'rest' on my calves, this will stop that.

I lazily avoid any core work. Hell I didnt even know what a couple of those were until I googled them. I dont have a traditional leg day, my routine is as follows:

3x5 bench
3x5 squats
3x5 dips

3x5 deads
3x5 shoulders
3x5 pulls

then day 1 again. week 2 is the reverse - 2 dead days, 1 chest/squat day.

Since I do squats every 4 or 5 days, would you still recommend doing pause squats and a 20-rep set each workout or instead do one or the other?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lots of ways to get your squat moving up, here some things to get you started

Change up your squat rep scheme (some examples) - 1x3max, 1x5 max, 2x5, 3x3, followed by a 1x10 or 1x15, or 1x20

Squat Variations- Box Squat different levels, hack squat, front squat

Accessory work- like Alex said and solid core work

Diet- make sure its tuned in, post it up here along with your body weight and estimated bf %

If you want more help send me a pm and i can actually personalize it for you.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
Lots of ways to get your squat moving up, here some things to get you started

Change up your squat rep scheme (some examples) - 1x3max, 1x5 max, 2x5, 3x3, followed by a 1x10 or 1x15, or 1x20

Squat Variations- Box Squat different levels, hack squat, front squat

Accessory work- like Alex said and solid core work

Diet- make sure its tuned in, post it up here along with your body weight and estimated bf %

If you want more help send me a pm and i can actually personalize it for you.
Thanks for the offer, though I should try some of these suggestions before I bug you for that. Ive had success with 20-rep squats (especially when thats the only set of squats in the workout ala 'squat and milk' program), and haven't tried pause/box/front squats or done any real accessory work. If I still can't get going Ill pm you, I appreciate the offer.

I dont follow a set diet, though I definitely eat enough as Ive gained a lot of weight and have the usual daily staples (chicken, beef, fish, cheese, eggs, cottage cheese, tuna 3/4x per week, potatoes, whole wheat bread, oatmeal). I watch protein reasonably based on labels and internet guidelines. I average around 275/day on my count, though I usually underestimate, its probably actually around 300-320g at 169lbs.

I have no idea what my bodyfat% is. On an empty stomach I can see slight abdominal definition, and I lose my belly in the morning or after a good washroom trip. I dont drink alcohol and dont eat much pastry or junk food.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
post your diet on fitday.com for at least a week to see what your numbers really are, a lot of people are shocked after they do this.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
WBA I see you're a big advocator of 20 rep squats. What is it, exactly, that makes you say a 20-rep squat is the main indication of progress, as opposed to a 5-rep squat, or a 12-rep squat, or any other rep range of squats (aside from rare maxes)?

Yes it tires you out, yes it's hard, but so what? Just because it leaves you wanting to die doesn't make it superior to some other rep range.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
md3sign said:
WBA I see you're a big advocator of 20 rep squats. What is it, exactly, that makes you say a 20-rep squat is the main indication of progress, as opposed to a 5-rep squat, or a 12-rep squat, or any other rep range of squats (aside from rare maxes)?

Yes it tires you out, yes it's hard, but so what? Just because it leaves you wanting to die doesn't make it superior to some other rep range.
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=78783&

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
md3sign said:

anything that is hard will work.

the lower and upper bodies are completely different things. upper body can do well with low reps, legs grow best on high reps. go and look at your pals on bb.com, see which ones do 20 rep squats and DON'T have huge legs.

the 20 rep squat will always be proportional to your overall bodyweight. I went from 180 to 240 in just over a year (minimal fat gain) and I attribute it solely to 20 rep squats and heavy deadlifts. You do not gain that sort of mass through 5-rep squats.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Warboss Alex said:
anything that is hard will work.

the lower and upper bodies are completely different things. upper body can do well with low reps, legs grow best on high reps. go and look at your pals on bb.com, see which ones do 20 rep squats and DON'T have huge legs.

the 20 rep squat will always be proportional to your overall bodyweight. I went from 180 to 240 in just over a year (minimal fat gain) and I attribute it solely to 20 rep squats and heavy deadlifts. You do not gain that sort of mass through 5-rep squats.
Ok but by that token there are just as many (that I see anyway) who DON'T do 20 rep squats and STILL have huge legs.

EFFORT - the article you linked doesn't really state anything regarding 20 rep squat superiority vs. lower rep squats. It's obvious when you go heavy on the big 3 the rest of your body will grow in proportion .. but again that doesn't answer the question at all.

I guess I'm looking for a more scientific/detailed explanation as to why doing 20 rep squats vs. other rep squats is better for development.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
md3sign said:
Ok but by that token there are just as many (that I see anyway) who DON'T do 20 rep squats and STILL have huge legs.

EFFORT - the article you linked doesn't really state anything regarding 20 rep squat superiority vs. lower rep squats. It's obvious when you go heavy on the big 3 the rest of your body will grow in proportion .. but again that doesn't answer the question at all.

I guess I'm looking for a more scientific/detailed explanation as to why doing 20 rep squats vs. other rep squats is better for development.
Instead of looking for some type of scientific proof, why don't you try doing em for a few weeks. See for yourself, thats the best way to see if something works or not.

Im still testing em out with squats (with good results so far), but I can tell you for machine leg press and leg curl, high reps is the way to go.

md3sign

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
md3sign said:
That said I think I will try to do consistent high rep squat work in the very near future to see what comes of it (that and I'm tired of 3-5 rep heavy sets).
Tell us how they go