Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

So i dropped out of college today....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I dont know how to explain myself...my whole college career of 6 years i came out with 90 units (83 that count towards a degree) ended up a senior because of the units. Switched majors about 4 different times throughout my college career. In the end became a Theatre major and decided at the last minute it was'nt what I wanted to do (starve to death looking for work) plus i wanted to work film acting and Theater degrees concentrate on THEATRE which is something im not interested in. So i tried to switch back to Communications and couldnt switch my classes around, one of my old proffessors told me there was room in her Thursday night class from 6-10pm and i was like OK ill add that one. But then realized i had a 6 hour gap in between my 11-12pm class so I had to stay in SF all day. No way i was going to do that. And since i dropped my other Theater classes except the acting one my schedule looked like this...

MW: 9-11
TH- 11-12 and 6-10pm

i dont know man...c'mon, you guys know me from my past posts...now im feeling the regret set in...i know i have a problem about being indecisive, i need to fix that...what do you guys think? you think i made a mistake by dropping out? or do you think i need to take some time to myself and think before i decide what i really want and get serious with school?

There were these 2 HB8s.... that showed IOIs to me too in my classes...but i decided what u thought was best for me at the moment, and that was to say **** it since i cant get my schedule straight to just drop out and find work...

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can you just get a general studies degree? I dropped out after three years of college and looking for a job was difficult. Large employers usually classify applicants as "some college" or "degree." Almost there does not count for much.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
do you pay your own rent and tuition?

Potbelly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Poor decision. And why the hell are HB's factoring into your decision...I swear you're such a big AFC man...this site makes me sick now reading this bullsh1t from a guy with over 1000 posts.

Also, theatre is a bullsh1t major. communications is a bullsh1t major. Psych is a bullsh1t major. Art history is a bullsh1t major. English lit is a bullsh1t major.

If you want money and real skills go into engineering or the sciences or business. You wasted your life away, great job man. You dropped out of college. 6 years of your life and absolutely nothing to show for it. You might try to rationalize (aka lie to yourself) it by saying "no I came away with friends and experiences!" Well guess what, friends and experiences are a dime a dozen. I can spent 4 years in college, get friends and experiences AND A DEGREE...some thing TANGIBLE to show for it...what have you done? Absolutely nothing.

So disappointing to read and I have to say your post has showed me something I never want to become. I realize I've been on this site way too long and it's holding me back so fvck this.

And fvck you for thinking staying 6 hours in SF is a burden on your sorry ass. 6 hours? Go study, pick up girls, sleep, whatever. Later loser

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
when i went to UCR, business was the bullsht major

engineering is a hard road and if you don't have math aptitude, don't do it. some of the sciences barely break out of a working class income without a graduate degree (biology anyone?)

but the OP's problem isn't finding the right major or being indecisive. it's a matter of growing up

SinJester

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Psych is a bullsh1t major
Can you tell me why? Because I was seriously considering that...

BTW most scientists don't make that much.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ken,

how about you work in the real world for a bit and then go back to college once you figure out what you want to do. I thought that you wanted to become a public speaker?

comic_relief

Ken785

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Potbelly said:
Poor decision. And why the hell are HB's factoring into your decision...I swear you're such a big AFC man...this site makes me sick now reading this bullsh1t from a guy with over 1000 posts.

Also, theatre is a bullsh1t major. communications is a bullsh1t major. Psych is a bullsh1t major. Art history is a bullsh1t major. English lit is a bullsh1t major.

If you want money and real skills go into engineering or the sciences or business. You wasted your life away, great job man. You dropped out of college. 6 years of your life and absolutely nothing to show for it. You might try to rationalize (aka lie to yourself) it by saying "no I came away with friends and experiences!" Well guess what, friends and experiences are a dime a dozen. I can spent 4 years in college, get friends and experiences AND A DEGREE...some thing TANGIBLE to show for it...what have you done? Absolutely nothing.

So disappointing to read and I have to say your post has showed me something I never want to become. I realize I've been on this site way too long and it's holding me back so fvck this.

And fvck you for thinking staying 6 hours in SF is a burden on your sorry ass. 6 hours? Go study, pick up girls, sleep, whatever. Later loser
Fvck you. Go fvck yourself fvcker.

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Potbelly said:

LMAO

For some reason, while reading this post I have an image of some teenage kid, who having just finished playing Halo on his xbox, logs onto SS, with an American flag waving in the background while drinking a beer. Could you BE anymore stuck in the American Dream man?

First off, lets start with the obvious. You are 19. What the FVCK do you know about finishing college or what you want to be in life. I don't give a fvck what your mommy told you that you should go into or what your guidance counselor said you seem cut out to be in the parent teacher conference you had last week. You think you are all set on determining the REST OF YOUR LIFE at 19. Hahaha

Also, contrary to whatever the 'positive figures' (and I use that term oh so loosely) in life have told you, there is more to life than making money. Money does not equal happiness. Ask all the celebrities who have thrown away the happiness they never really had on drugs and quick fixes, ask Heath Ledger, John Bellushi, Britney Spears, Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain, Nicole Ritche et al. Ask the current celebrities like Chappelle who walked away from forty million or Randy Moss who got paid like 1/5 of his old contract for a chance at the superbowl. Yet, by your reasoning, a bullsh!t major is something that does not make money, so a bullsh!t life is a life that does not make money? Are you telling me that self worth is tied into how much money you have in the bank? Are you really that shallow?

Friends and experiences are a dime a dozen? Oh dear, here I am thinking that the friends and experiences we have are what life is all about! Thanks for enlightening me on that one. Life is all about making money, now it makes sense. What do scholars like Ralph Waldo Emerson and Thoreau know? Everything about life I need to know, I could've learn from a rap video, i finally see the light. How can I ever repay you Potbelly???? [/sarcasm]

The funniest thing is that you say that friends and experience are a dime a dozen, then turn around and say go make a lot of money. The cliche you used alludes to the uselessness of money in the world we live in and you don't even know it.

Ken785
MAN THE FVCK UP

This is not a smart move. I don't care that you dropped out of college, but the fact that you have no idea what to do now shows me that maybe you are not strong enough to make decisions for yourself at the moment with such poor planning. And wtf man, you just dropped out of college and you are focused on two girls you haven't even fvcked yet? I can't tell if you serious or attempting to be a troll.

Regardless, do not come to an online message board and ask us what to do next. This is YOUR life. You need some kind of guidance or help obviously. I would advise you to just read like a muthafvcka while you are 'inbetween educational institutions' because there is always something to learn. Learn about life instead of career options, then get your life back on track (whatever that track may be)

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is an article I found via google, from a university website
A recent Statistics Canada study has encouraging information for those who choose to take a break before getting their degree.
The study, published in collaboration with Canadian Policy Research Networks, found that as long as a completed degree was eventually received, students who chose to put off their post-secondary education were not at a disadvantage in the post-graduation labour market.

The report studied the difference in post-graduation employment success between "gappers" and "non-gappers", students who chose to delay their post-secondary education and those who chose to go directly into post-secondary education within four months after high school.

The study used data from the 2004 Youth in Transition Survey and examined the educational pathways of 22 to 24-year-olds in December of 2003. The youth were first interviewed in 2000 and then later interviewed twice more about their education and employment experiences and goals.

The employment rate for those surveyed in 2003 was close to 80 per cent, but the rate differed depending on whether or not the individual "gapped" their degree. Highest employment rates were found for youth who had followed the college route, with or without gapping, and for youth who delayed university but finished a degree. Both rates were around 85 per cent.

While the study found that non-gappers had lower employment rates after graduation, it was also found that non-gappers had achieved a higher pay-rate than gappers after graduating. According to the release, median non-gapper weekly earnings were $625 compared to $540 for those who delayed their education.
Females had higher representation among non-gappers than males (44 per cent versus 35 per cent).
The non-gapper pathway was common in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and British Columbia. In Ontario and Alberta, youth were more likely to delay their post-secondary education. In Ontario, the data showed that 43 per cent of youth were gappers compared to 30 per cent who were non-gappers.

According to Alisa Cunnington, academic advisor for the humanities department, the decision 'to gap or not to gap' depends greatly on the individual's personal circumstances.
"I see students in so many situations, but knowing which path is going to take them to success is the key," she said. Without generalizing for her discipline or other disciplines, Cunnington said that gappers tend to be very motivated and focused students. "Gappers who I see after taking time off … want to be here; they are focused and have a clearer understanding of what they want to do. I have yet to meet a gapper who is here because they have to be or don't want to be."

One such motivated gapper is Michelle Braun, a fourth year political science major, who took a year off after high school before going to university.
"I just decided that at the time I was not ready. I needed that year to decide exactly what I wanted to do, and I'm glad I took the time," she said.

Amanda Lepp, a fourth year biology major, represents an alternate side of delaying education. Having entered university right after high school, Lepp took a two-year break from school after three years, and is now returning to complete her four-year degree.

After first year, Lepp changed her mind about becoming a vet and decided that it was not for her. Now back in school, Lepp feels confident in what she wants to do in life.
"When you don't know what you want to do, it's difficult to continue," she said. "If I hadn't taken a break, my fourth year would have been disastrous. The break opened more doors for me and allowed me to refocus."
http://media.www.brockpress.com/med...dging.The.Gap.Before.Graduation-3174671.shtml

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
*Sigh* This needed to be said Microphone....

First off, lets start with the obvious. You are 19. What the FVCK do you know about finishing college or what you want to be in life. You think you are all set on determining the REST OF YOUR LIFE at 19. Hahaha
When DO you decide what you want to be in life? 21? 30? Or is it when you decide? I wasn't aware that there was an age limit on planning your future. I'm all set on what I want to achieve in life (goals), and I'm also looking at a way to get there, but shoot, I'm 19. Guess I'm wasting my time until my 30th birthday.

Ask all the celebrities who have thrown away the happiness they never really had on drugs and quick fixes, ask Heath Ledger, John Bellushi, Britney Spears, Amy Winehouse, Kurt Cobain, Nicole Ritche et al.
Great point. Then ask the HUNDREDS, no THOUSANDS more poor(er) people who do the same. Drugs are not exclusivly for the rich and famous, and to claim that money=bad because a few celebs take drugs......poor debating.

The trite bulls*it arguement that clowns like you pull out "Money doesn't equal happiness", then smile to yourself like you just turned lead into gold really gets my last nerve. No, money doesn't equal happiness, but neither does NOT having money. It's not like there's tramps huddled under a bridge laughing because they're super happy whilst a rich guy drives past crying, is it?

To be honest, if it were a choice of being rich and unhappy, and being poor and unhappy....I know which I'd pick.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WesCottII said:
Then ask the HUNDREDS, no THOUSANDS more poor(er) people who do the same. Drugs are not exclusivly for the rich and famous, and to claim that money=bad because a few celebs take drugs......poor debating.

The trite bulls*it arguement that clowns like you pull out "Money doesn't equal happiness", then smile to yourself like you just turned lead into gold really gets my last nerve. No, money doesn't equal happiness, but neither does NOT having money. It's not like there's tramps huddled under a bridge laughing because they're super happy whilst a rich guy drives past crying, is it?

To be honest, if it were a choice of being rich and unhappy, and being poor and unhappy....I know which I'd pick.
Wow, way to entirely miss a point. Work on your comprehension skills.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Master Bates said:
Wow, way to entirely miss a point. Work on your comprehension skills.
:rolleyes: Welcome to bangwagon....

Listen, I got the point "money isn't key to happiness, it's our experiences that make us happy" blah blah

What I objected to was the tar-brushing that money = bad, because a few celebs can't handle pressure. I merely pointed out that there's many millions more who take drugs and have a miserable exsistance who arn't celebs/rich/famous (pick your lexicon).

Yes, there is more to life than making money, but to descry it as a waste of time because it doesn't make you happy is a crock.

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WesCottII said:
*Sigh* This needed to be said Microphone....
I think you misinterpreted my post into thinking that money is the root of all evil. It's cool though, Im always up for debate especially on stuff that affects me directly such as how I choose to live my life and how I may need to change it... the name calling could have been done without though. That's just mean:cry:

When DO you decide what you want to be in life? 21? 30? Or is it when you decide? I wasn't aware that there was an age limit on planning your future. I'm all set on what I want to achieve in life (goals), and I'm also looking at a way to get there, but shoot, I'm 19. Guess I'm wasting my time until my 30th birthday.
You decide after you have amassed enough experience in your life to KNOW what life offers you and what you deem to be the purpose of the life you live. At 19, the majority of people here live very, very shelter lives. People tell them in high school to "Do what you know' but when what you 'know' is such a small segment of the real world, the choices you think you have aren't very realistic to the choices you actually have.

Potbelly's advice implicitly states to drop everything and take a useful (in the performative aspect) major such as business or engineering or something that creates money. This mindset alludes to the meta-narrative that the only thing that is useful is the jobs that create money and that is just capitalistic bullsh!t. It is focusing on the betterment of the society while neglecting the needs of the individual. I am an individual first and a part of society second. (Thank you Henry David Thoreau, lol)

Great point. Then ask the HUNDREDS, no THOUSANDS more poor(er) people who do the same. Drugs are not exclusivly for the rich and famous, and to claim that money=bad because a few celebs take drugs......poor debating.
If rich people and poor people are doing drugs, then obviously money has little/nothing to do with the actual reason behind the drugs so it is safe to say that we can eliminate money from the equation. (Hardcore) drugs are for people who do not like their lives. And why wouldn't you like your life? Because you aren't happy? Why aren't you happy? <insert answer here> Then you just focus on that answer and voila things are cool

This is basic Eliciting Values 101. Once you get to the real reasoning behind the actions, you can address the issue more directly. This is a post-modern world we live in, question the meta-narratives that are forced upon you and focus on the reasoning (or lack thereof) behind the decisions you make.

Okay, so (yet again) we have established that money and the lack of money both do not equal happiness. Instead of arguing which social class is the least unhappy, why not focus on what in life makes YOU happy? If you don't know for sure what that is yet, then why should you waste your life pursuing goals you do not wish to attain (aka stay in school and 'get 'er done')? The criticism I have of Ken785 is that he dropped out of school and is regretting it already, his action is saying one thing and his mind is saying another, he is not where he needs to be, he is still not happy.

See, you are seeing it as binary opposites. I'm not advocating a hatred of money, I'm advocating happiness regardless of a monetary situation...

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Potbelly said:
communications is a bullsh1t major.
:crackup:

Have you ever interviewed with a real company? Or are you just regurgitating bull**** you were fed? Ask any, any fortune 500 company, fund manager or even a ****ing engineering firm, what is the trait they look for the most? The ability to deal well with people. And thats coming from an Economics/Finance Major. Wake up kid.

Ken, thats disappointing to hear. Why not do a self-guided major/study, those are growing popularity. To me it seems there is something deeper issue here, like fear of success or commitment issues, talk to the campus counselor and tell them what you're going through.

As I said in my previous posts regarding this, I don't understand why you didn't/haven't finished. Unless you were doing methanphetamines, working 60hrs+ a week or something. Figure out why you did what you did, so you don't do it again.

W/o college you lack experience and its difficult to be well connected in the high earner/professional world. Without experience or connections, you're ****ed. And yes money doesn't buy happiness, it just makes it way easier.

"I'd rather be crying in the back of a Benz, than on the back of a bicycle."

Get your sh!t together bro, now

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As people may know from my previous posts, I am a strong believer in the value of a good education as the average person's best shot at success in life..

However, in your case, I don't even know whether to say it's a good or bad move. Is it stupid to drop something when you're over 90 percent finished. Yeah, very. Especially if you don't have something to do instead.

On the other hand, you clearly weren't getting anything from your education.

But Ken, grow the **** up. Oh no you had to kill a 6 hour gap in SF, poor baby! What the hell is so bad about that? It's one goddamn day a week. There are days when I'm in school from 9 in the morning till about 9 at night.
Seriously, get a damn work ethic - you could (and probably should) easily use that time to STUDY, you know, that thing you're supposed to do in school... Hell, it's really not that bad, you have 6 hours. Study for 2 hours. Take about an hour to eat a nice lunch. If you want, go chat up some girls or go to the gym or something for a bit. Study for a few more hours. DONE.

I can't believe after months of thinking, needing to stay in SF for 6 hours is what killed you. ONE DAY A WEEK.

Oh well, if that's how much importance you put on school, you wouldn't get much out of it anyway.

WesCottII

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Microphone Fiend said:
I think you misinterpreted my post into thinking that money is the root of all evil. It's cool though, Im always up for debate especially on stuff that affects me directly such as how I choose to live my life and how I may need to change it... the name calling could have been done without though. That's just mean:cry:

Forgive me, must be my time of the month.

You decide after you have amassed enough experience in your life to KNOW what life offers you and what you deem to be the purpose of the life you live. At 19, the majority of people here live very, very shelter lives. People tell them in high school to "Do what you know' but when what you 'know' is such a small segment of the real world, the choices you think you have aren't very realistic to the choices you actually have.

Perhaps, but we fall into the risk of pigeonholing here. I've been around enough to know some wise a** 19 year olds who know what they're doing. Hell, two of my buds started a business at 19, and now at 21, could probably retire. What you're saying seems to be "float along, until you've garnerd enough experience do decide what you want". To me, thats a waste, I can be 19 and know I want to be "well off" (or whatever goal). I don't need to wait years to establish that. As someone once put it "you live your life, or you live the life someone else has got planned for you"

Potbelly's advice implicitly states to drop everything and take a useful (in the performative aspect) major such as business or engineering or something that creates money. This mindset alludes to the meta-narrative that the only thing that is useful is the jobs that create money and that is just capitalistic bullsh!t. It is focusing on the betterment of the society while neglecting the needs of the individual. I am an individual first and a part of society second. (Thank you Henry David Thoreau, lol)

If rich people and poor people are doing drugs, then obviously money has little/nothing to do with the actual reason behind the drugs so it is safe to say that we can eliminate money from the equation. (Hardcore) drugs are for people who do not like their lives. And why wouldn't you like your life? Because you aren't happy? Why aren't you happy? <insert answer here> Then you just focus on that answer and voila things are cool

Yeah, that was my point. You claimed that money didn't equal happiness because "celebs" are/were throwing their lives away doing drugs. My answer was that there are plenty of less well off doing the same thing. This means that the "money doesn't equal happiness" arguement, is moot.

This is basic Eliciting Values 101. Once you get to the real reasoning behind the actions, you can address the issue more directly. This is a post-modern world we live in, question the meta-narratives that are forced upon you and focus on the reasoning (or lack thereof) behind the decisions you make.

Okay, so (yet again) we have established that money and the lack of money both do not equal happiness. Instead of arguing which social class is the least unhappy, why not focus on what in life makes YOU happy? If you don't know for sure what that is yet, then why should you waste your life pursuing goals you do not wish to attain (aka stay in school and 'get 'er done')? The criticism I have of Ken785 is that he dropped out of school and is regretting it already, his action is saying one thing and his mind is saying another, he is not where he needs to be, he is still not happy.

You're backtracking. These were my points originally. My gripe was with the "money doesn't equal happiness" arguement, not with doing what makes you happy. And if you know what you DONT wish to attain, then surely, you could have a stab at what you do.

See, you are seeing it as binary opposites. I'm not advocating a hatred of money, I'm advocating happiness regardless of a monetary situation...

Not quite. This was a point to prove that money isn't a source of "good" or "evil", (which we've established) but again illustrated the point that "money doesn't equal happiness" argument is a crock. Like I said, everyone has problems, but I'd rather have money and problems, than have no money and problems.
Bold.

Microphone Fiend

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Perhaps, but we fall into the risk of pigeonholing here. I've been around enough to know some wise a** 19 year olds who know what they're doing. Hell, two of my buds started a business at 19, and now at 21, could probably retire. What you're saying seems to be "float along, until you've garnerd enough experience do decide what you want". To me, thats a waste, I can be 19 and know I want to be "well off" (or whatever goal). I don't need to wait years to establish that. As someone once put it "you live your life, or you live the life someone else has got planned for you"
Oh well, perhaps I should talk about the people who dropped out of university and became millionaires or is it the fact that I realize that they are often just exceptions to the rule and not worth bringing up as weak evidence to solidify my point?

Yeah, that was my point. You claimed that money didn't equal happiness because "celebs" are/were throwing their lives away doing drugs. My answer was that there are plenty of less well off doing the same thing. This means that the "money doesn't equal happiness" arguement, is moot.
You arent grasping what I am saying. The emphasis on how much or how little you have is not important. Thats what the celebrities illustrate, not that money corrupts people

You're backtracking. These were my points originally. My gripe was with the "money doesn't equal happiness" arguement, not with doing what makes you happy. And if you know what you DONT wish to attain, then surely, you could have a stab at what you do.
That's not backtracking, that's using your reasoning to illustrate my point. That is what I did with PotBelly and you took it out of context and assumed I meant that money = evil.

Not quite. This was a point to prove that money isn't a source of "good" or "evil", (which we've established) but again illustrated the point that "money doesn't equal happiness" argument is a crock. Like I said, everyone has problems, but I'd rather have money and problems, than have no money and problems.
So if you are against the idea of 'money doesn't equal happiness' what are your for? I'm curious to know...

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ken, as someone who's changed careers multiple times in life, I've learned, that the road to success is paved with a positive attitude.

The world is full of nay sayers, negativity, as you have seen with some of the responses to your post.

It seems that the people that will tell you that you can't do something in life, are the people that are the most unhappy with their own life.

I've found that while people may be judging and analyzing every decision I may have made, and told me that it could not be done, I've gone out and done it...and when I succeeded, they were the first ones to say it was luck.

For me, getting a degree has opened a lot of doors. I also think that the degree could have been in anything really, but having a degree does help. However, you can do anything you want in your life, as long as you give 100% to it. Don't listen when others tell you otherwise.

Joe The Homophobe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ken, you should consider getting one of those short degrees/certificates from your local community college. For example dental assistant, they make around 30k a year and it only takes a year to get a certificate for it. Health care jobs are the fastest growing jobs in the united states. Obviously you are lazy for school and hate school (so do i) and if you are not passionate about something you don't put any effort to it. Maybe getting a certificate in a year would get you motivated since you would know that in a year's time you would have your reward and be able to get a decent job.

Look at your community college website and see what 1 year certificates they have, maybe you find something you like. This would set you in a path to make decent money, get yourself a diploma, and all in a year's time! you don't like school and don't have the passion for it at this time so continuing to pursue majors which would take you 2-4 years is not something your mind is up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.