Sharing 25 years of dating wisdom...

The Unknown Don

Don Juan
Reaction score
Greetings to all my fellow Dons.
I am a longtime lurker. I may have posted 2 or 3 times in the past. A few days ago I turned 40 and tonight I was just thinking about past relationships..the things that went right, the things that went wrong, and the outright disasters.

A little background. I'm a reasonably well-off, college-educated white male, 6'0" in good shape (have been all my life). I've been married once for 5 years, divorced for 3. I went through my AFC phase in my late teens, but I was fortunate enough to snap out of it by the time I was 20...from then on it was smooth sailing.

I've been reading many of the articles and message threads here. I agree with quite a bit, but I think there are some areas that need a little fleshing out and amplification. So I'd like to share some of my observations in no particular order:

1) No matter how good-looking a woman is, she will always become boring (particularly sexually) with time. The boredom accelerates if the relationship becomes domestic (living together, marriage, etc.)

2) Men remain in boring relationships out of sentimentality or financial convenience...but rarely fear.

3) Over the long run, the periods that men are without a partner and frustrated are generally happier than being stuck in a relationship which has lost its luster.

4) Women generally do the selecting in the earliest phases of a relationship. Once a woman has committed herself emotionally, the balance of power shifts to the man (assuming he has some degree of self-confidence).

5) Contrary to the myth that "looks don't matter" to women, physical attraction may be the primary and key deciding factor for a woman. However, it is difficult to determine just what will be physically attractive to any particular female. Even though men also value looks, they are far more willing to initially compromise on looks in the pursuit of sex.

6) If a woman is initially physically attracted to a man, there is very little he can do wrong on a first date.

7) If a woman is not initially physically attracted to a man, there is very little he can do right on a first date.

8) Always pay attention to a woman's actions. If she says she likes you but will not respond to kissing or touching, then she doesn't like you. Move on immediately.

9) Just like there are many men who are simply *******s, the same goes for women. If a woman is rude or inconsiderate in the first few dates, move on immediately - it will not get better with time.

10) Any strange psychological problems, drug problems or baggage....move on immediately - it will not get better with time.

11) All women have the same body parts. Don't obsess over one particular female based on appearance. It's a waste of life.

12) The vast majority of men get rejected much more often than they seal the deal. If you are rejected you are simply shooting par. Relax.

13) Above all, women crave attention. Women want to date rock stars not because they find the man himself exciting, but because they find the thought of sharing the limelight exciting. Ask any young girl what she wants to be. Top answers: model, actress, singer.

14) The sad truth is that we can only truly know ourselves. A wonderful woman you marry today and trust completely may change radically over the course of time to become your most vicious enemy. There is absolutely no way to predict this or stop this from happening. It is, ultimately, a matter of chance.

15) There are far more available women out there than you think.

16) Humans are generally not very good at monogamy. Most men in long-term relationships cheat to varying degrees, and a great number of women do as well. It's simply a matter of biology. If you discover that your significant other had an affair, the best course of action may sometimes be to take the high road and let it go.

17) Never, never, never be afraid to approach a female. To reiterate: they all have the same body parts, and they are all composed of Carbon, Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen, and trace elements. There isn't a single woman on Earth who is "above" you, no matter what her affectations and social pretenses.

18) Women tend to be far more pragmatic about relationships than men.

19) Unconditional love is a nice sentiment, but does not generally apply to male/female relationships. It does however, almost always apply to female/child, and to a slightly lesser extent, male/child relationships.

20) Never become financially entangled with a female. If you decide to marry, do not even think of doing so without a prenuptial agreement. This is common practice in Europe, however there is still a social stigma attached to these agreements in the U.S.

21) Sex is generally overrated. The amount of effort expended in obtaining it vs. the payoff is absurd.

22) If a woman in a relationship begins to lose interest, it is usually impossible to regain it. The feelings you are having of confusion and fear mean something...trust your gut and move on immediately.

23) After breakups, men usually tend to forget about the sexual boredom and once again find their past girlfriends exciting.

24) If a woman has not gained some form of emotional stability by the time she is her mid-twenties, then it is too late. Move on immediately.

25) Avoid women with a large number of pets or women who pay unusual amounts of attention to their pets.

26) Most first-time marriages fail. Consider that if you decide to get married, there is better than a coin-flip chance that you will be divorced. If any other civil contract had as high a failure rate, Congress would outlaw it. The world has changed dramatically in the last three or four decades and many people have postponed marriage until much later in life, or simply never get married.

27) If you do decide to get married, remember that it IS a contract - one that you can't get out of without a great deal of expense and pain. Never be sentimental about marriage. Love is only one piece of the pie. You may love a woman terribly, but you may also be unable to deal with her in everyday affairs and money matters.

28) Avoid women with addictions, particularly the "big three": nicotine, alcohol, and born-again Christianity.

29) Never avoid discussing something that bothers you out of fear of losing the relationship. Most relationships will - sooner or later - be lost anyway. It's better to stand up for yourself early on.

30) Always keep the ego in check. If a woman you are approaching for the first time is rude or obnoxious, simply go away. Tossing an insult or scathingly witty comment back simply demonstrates that your self-confidence is far lower than hers. Always, always, always take the higher road. This doesn't mean be a pushover, it means you bend with the wind (kind of a Zen thing!) The best way to disarm an obnoxious female is to treat her with courtesy and respect.

31) There is an inverse relationship between self-confidence and concern with what others think of you.

32) Self-confident men desire sex, but don't dwell on it.

33) Most reasonable, normal women will make it clear if they are attracted to you or not very early on. Period. If you have difficulty reading a woman's motives, or find yourself dwelling on what she meant by something she said, or you can't seem to pin down a date then move on immediately.

Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by The Unknown Don (edited 05-18-2002).]

Powertrip

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Unknown, as one of the more seasoned veterans of dating and relationships, I can tell you that I agree with everything you've laid out here.

Guys, pay attention and USE this advice, it's gold.

------------------
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -Hunter S. Thompson

JonnyNice

Don Juan
Reaction score
Totally dead on, a great refresher and even an eye-opener in some case. Thanks Unknown!

DJ de Florida

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In #18, I would replace 'pragmatic' with 'analytical'. Otherwise, no arguments.

I guess all guys run into the woman with too many cats or the greatest dog. I thought it was just me

------------------
Don Juan de Florida

anti-trend

Don Juan
Reaction score
there are lots of things i read here that are just tips or advice that are just worded differently. im glad i read your post though, unknown. A great post and thank you.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
A very BIG one was left out...

DON'T tell anyone you might date what you are looking for in a partner. Nine times out of ten, if you do tell them, they will miraculously acquire all those very same qualities overnight. Then you are convinced they are perfect for you and you get attached. Next thing you know all those qualities start to disappear one by one until you wake up and wonder what the hell happened to that person you fell for.

And one more...be aware of the human tendency to idealize the one we want. This tendency is so strong in many people that they will convince themselves that the person they want or are with has qualities they don't even have in some twisted attempt to make that person fit the mold they have in their mind of their ideal mate. Sometimes the type in the first paragraph hooks up with the type in this paragraph and it's twice the disaster all rolled into one.

Learn to feel love for something of quality that is genuine and real and not feel infatuation for the idealized image you think some person might represent just because they happen to be with you at the moment.

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
These look similar to a set of general relationship rules posted here before.

Very good observations Unknown Don. 25 years is a lot of time and I'm sure you have a lot more wisdom to give. We look forward to your future posts.

Hey Wyld...Didn't you post a link once to a website with relationship rules?

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Paradox:
These look similar to a set of general relationship rules posted here before.

Very good observations Unknown Don. 25 years is a lot of time and I'm sure you have a lot more wisdom to give. We look forward to your future posts.

Hey Wyld...Didn't you post a link once to a website with relationship rules?

Doesn't sound familiar, or sound like anything I would post a link to. I've posted a lot about healthy relationships vs unhealthy ones, though. But those things that I have posted have come from things I have learned and observed personally, not things I got from anyone else.

Personally, I think the main things the men who use this site should remember is that they aren't going to lead a happy and fulfilling life if they go to extremes. If you are a worshipper who is needy you will fail with women. Likewise, if you are an a$$shole you will fail with women in relationships AND you will have no friends, alienate your family and die a lonely, miserable old pathetic lump of flesh. "Nice Guys" will always have friends and family. The key is balance and finding a good, healthy middle ground...still be nice but have balls and self respect. Those are the men that not only get the best women, but they are also the ones who tend to keep them. And Unknown is right about looks and women. A woman won't ever settle for someone she doesn't find visually attractive unless she is obese, uglier than sin or a gold digger who will marry for money and then screw the gardener. Anyone who says that this isn't true is lying to themselves. Men will settle for less in the attraction department because they are always horny. That's how fat and ugly women get a little action. I've known gorgeous men who have slept with nasty women just because they were horny and couldn't get anything better right then. Women won't do that.

Take No Dirt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Wyldfire: I've known gorgeous men who have slept with nasty women just because they were horny and couldn't get anything better right then.

Women won't do that.

Me: Wyldfire's statements run contrary to what the popular women's magazines out there say about women placing a man's looks low (about 6%) on their assessment of the dating/romance game. Most females they say value a man's intelligence, charm and wit above his looks. Yeah, right!

Wyldfire intimated that women won't degrade themselves by sleeping with the Hunchback of Notre Dame's distant cousin.

Heavyweight

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude-
I don't know if I agree with everything you said. There's some good advice, but some things are just wrong. For example, you say that if a woman finds a guy physically attractive, he can't do any wrong on a date and if she doesn't, he can't do any right. That's wrong and the exact opposite of everything in the DJ Bible. Isn't the whole point of this site that guys can get as many women as they want regardless of how they look if they change their attitude and find ways to give women the feelings they want? I think confidence is far more important than looks for women and that's usually hard for most guys to understand because looks are far more important to us.
Anyway, I think that your "looks" advice is defeatist and wrong. Anybody that believes that stuff should spend their time and money getting plastic surgery to look better and forget about trying to become a DJ.

RKTek

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wyldfire:
Likewise, if you are an a$$shole you will fail with women in relationships AND you will have no friends, alienate your family and die a lonely, miserable old pathetic lump of flesh.
HEY! @#$^#$^ have you been reading my mail???

TheLadiesMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It is a very good post, and I would agree with a lot of it, but some are exceptions. Like anything in life, nothing is as it seems at times, and nothing is bible, except death and taxes.

9) Just like there are many men who are simply *******s, the same goes for women. If a woman is rude or inconsiderate in the first few dates, move on immediately - it will not get better with time.

I have gone out with total b*tches, new it from the get go, but if I see promise, I will see what makes her tick and sometimes, they open up and are the sweetest b*tches I've ever met.

10) Any strange psychological problems, drug problems or baggage....move on immediately - it will not get better with time.

Now, I dated a woman who liked smoking pot, she was a freakin' babe from her head down to her toes and even though I didn't like it, I didn't give up, and she quit smoking the sh*t.

so it's not always bible, there are exceptions

-TLM

Bones

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
One of the best posts I've ever read, agree with everything

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
The amount of perceived "baggage" a woman or man might carry has very little, if anything, to do with the kind of person they are or how healthy of a relationship they can have. The KEY is how they deal with their baggage. If it controls their life and affects the relationship in a negative way, then yes, it's a problem. However, if it doesn't control their life or affect their relationships negatively it's a non-issue.

And again...Unknown is right...if a woman who is really attracted to you visually goes out with you, there isn't much you can do to turn her off because she WANTS to fall for you. If she isn't into you in this way she is looking for a reason to "NEXT" you, and the slightest thing you do that even remotely annoys her she will decide not to take it any further. That is the TRUTH, regardless of what anyone on this site or any other site tells you. The confdience is what you need to grow the nads to actually approach women and keep your nerves tempered. All the other tactics designed to enhance your attractiveness will help you, but ONLY with the women already find you visually attractive...unless you are wealthy, then you can find a gold digger who will gladly let you spend money on her while she puts it right to someone she does find visually attractive. Again...the tactics won't help you at all if you can't get your foot in the door...and visual attraction is what gets your foot in the door. Lucky for the men in the world...no two women are attracted to exactly the same men all the time.

T Dog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great post Unknown.

now, what truely Fk'n amazes me are the young punks who disagree with your wizdom and experience. You guys and start telling me and unknown what's what when you hit his age.

Agreed?

T Dog

Jake Steed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I agree T Dog. This post is flawless. Spoken from someone who's been around the block and learned from their experiences. I just hope the fvck-face fvckups on this board can read and learn.

Great work, Unknown.

Jake

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
For the most part, Unknown was spot on. For instance, there are a few exceptions to the generalized statements he made, but they are rare. Sometimes people you are with don't become boring, sexually or otherwise. If both people have the desire to keep things fresh and exciting they can, but not many people are willing to put forth the effort to do so. There are also rare instances where two life partners will have unconditional love for one another, but again, it takes two healthy people and good interpersonal relationship skills to get there. It's not impossible, just not all that likely. No one wants to put forth the effort to have something of quality in this day and age. Call it greed, immaturity or just a sense of entitlement...any way you slice it...you're only going to get as good as you give and you have to be with a person who has the same relationship goals that you do. You can't have your ideal relationship with someone whose idea of the ideal relationship isn't very much like your own. You WILL have a better chance in finding what you want IF you choose the right kind of people and put forth the same effort you want the other person to put forth. It's not easy to find and doesn't come without a little work, but when you find it, it's great. But like I said...it's not common.

Unhealthy people and unhealthy relationships are unfortunately the norm.

Dr_Feelgood

Don Juan
Reaction score
Fantastic Post, Unknown! I wish I had learned these things a long time ago. Some of them, I've learned recently, and learned the hard way. Thanks for the great post.

TheLadiesMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
21) Sex is generally overrated. The amount of effort expended in obtaining it vs. the payoff is absurd.

if you agree to this, you are too old to fvck.
*cough* jake Steed *cough*

Like I said, a lot of it is very good, but nothing is bible ever. If you were to agree with it complete, than you have already chosen to live in fear of dating women, and constantly running away ("move on immediately") everytime the air is less than perfect. C'mon boys, you can see this can't you? So you gonna tell me to 'move on immediately' cause all the babes I know, smoke? LOL!!

Don't get me wrong, it's a very good post with some very good insight, but I'm not 40, and how old you are doesn't make you Yoda. there are plenty of old people who are sitting pretty in front of the tube on the weekends by themselves contemplating whether sex is really overrated.

-TLM

Still, a very good post, with some good info.

[This message has been edited by TheLadiesMan (edited 05-15-2002).]