Self Defense Classes

metoo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
you wn't get decent small class instruction, for long, for much less than $40 an hour, I can guarantee that. YOu can learn some dancing, in big classes, for $5 an hour, tho, which is what I suspect you 'know". :) Mma is much too spread out complex for a beginner. just cause you START in karate or judo does NOT mean that you have to NEVER learn anything else, you know. What an idiot you are to suggest that is the case.

Chamber36

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't know how the gym's are outside holland but if he can get a decent small class to train MMA then I would say that's better than a traditional martial art. Only Muay Thai would be as good as MMA imho, because it's probably more effective in a real live fight.

Besides that boxing is the most fun. Judo and Jiu Jitsu will make you strong, but they're hard to learn when you're older. So as long as he starts with striking I'd say that's the best. If he doesn't want to do striking, he can do judo or jiu jitsu. I just want to spread info.

Of course it's important for him to keep his body type in mind. If he has a low center of gravity judo/jiu jitsu will be very effective.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
In choosing a place to train, the people there are just as important as the art itself. You have to trust them.

MMA is my choice, but with the proliferation of mma, I have seen too many mma gyms where everyone is a moron, and they just mindlessly hurt each other for fun. That's not the way to learn. It takes a good amount of common sense to be able to train dangerous moves without anyone getting hurt. You also need a trainer who will not allow bullying or dangerous behavior.

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
metoo said:
you wn't get decent small class instruction, for long, for much less than $40 an hour, I can guarantee that.
Anyone who pays more than $100 a month is an idiot who doesn't deserve to hold onto their money. Never mind $40 an hour

metoo said:
YOu can learn some dancing, in big classes, for $5 an hour, tho, which is what I suspect you 'know". :)
You seem to know plenty about dancing. Almost as much as you know about about hookers. Unlike you I am not really into ladyboys.

[
metoo said:
Mma is much too spread out complex for a beginner. just cause you START in karate or judo does NOT mean that you have to NEVER learn anything else, you know. What an idiot you are to suggest that is the case.
You're an idiot, nobody said you have to learn everything at once when you start practicing MMA. Any decent MMA class will start you off with basic moves before you move up to the more complicated ones.

Seriously, you sound like you know more about grappling with ladyboy hookers than you do with actual martial artists.

metoo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
$100 a month for HOW MANY hours, in a class of what size, from HOW GOOD an instructor? Guys, classes over 4 men in size are a waste, you never learn anthing worth knowing. Decent instructors, in the US, make at least $100 an hour. They COULD be charging $5 an hour, in stupid classes of 20 at a time, you know. When he only has 4 signed up, often only 2-3 show up, so he's going to charge more per hour than just the simple math-multiple.

I learned from a guy who, at age 15, killed N Korean soldiers with his bare hands, to take their gear and sell it to feed his family. So how you THINK he taught us, hmm? :) I watched Moon shatter 22 roofing tiles with a single blow of his forehead, making men 15 ft away in the NCO club duck and cover from the frags! I later tried a similar stack, with a sledgehammer. I was able to break onlly 15! :)

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
metoo said:
$100 a month for HOW MANY hours, in a class of what size, from HOW GOOD an instructor? Guys, classes over 4 men in size are a waste, you never learn anthing worth knowing. Decent instructors, in the US, make at least $100 an hour. They COULD be charging $5 an hour, in stupid classes of 20 at a time, you know. When he only has 4 signed up, often only 2-3 show up, so he's going to charge more per hour than just the simple math-multiple.

I learned from a guy who, at age 15, killed N Korean soldiers with his bare hands, to take their gear and sell it to feed his family. So how you THINK he taught us, hmm? :) I watched Moon shatter 22 roofing tiles with a single blow of his forehead, making men 15 ft away in the NCO club duck and cover from the frags! I later tried a similar stack, with a sledgehammer. I was able to break onlly 15! :)

LOL You don't even know how they teach MMA, but now you are saying it is a waste of time to have more than 4 students? You think someone who has a bigger class can't do private lessons on the side? Man you really are dumber than I thought.

I looked up your teacher on google, I can't find him in any martial arts association. He is probably fake, like that big bank account you keep bragging about.

You should just stick to talking about marrying Asian ladyboys. You seem to really like talking about that sort of thing on this site.

metoo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Moon is probably long dead. he was 38 years old in 1973. :) It's gonna look REALLY bad for you when this granpa kicks your ass with one hand held behind his back punk. :) On top of your being a wheelchair for the rest of your life.

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
metoo said:
Moon is probably long dead. he was 38 years old in 1973. :) It's gonna look REALLY bad for you when this granpa kicks your ass with one hand held behind his back punk. :) On top of your being a wheelchair for the rest of your life.
If he was part of any organization, including the army, there would be records of him no matter how old he was in 1973. If you weren't retarded, you would know that.

As for you, no one is afraid of your wrinkle fat ass except for the ladyboy you keep in the rig that has to look at it everyday. You can't even get your ass out of a chair, never mind putting anyone in one.

The only thing you are going to do with one hand behind your back is getting ass raped by some big black guy when you are in prison for all the illegal nonsense you spout on here.

Amo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Just repeating what I've heard; I've been looking for a good self defense class around here, but it's a small island.

Boxing, Krav Maga, Jeet Kune Do, Systema, or KFM are all great things to learn. They aren't particularly elegant, but they work.

Basically, you want a class that is heavy on sparring and efficiency. Watch a couple of Krav Maga or Systema videos and you'll see what I mean by efficiency. Sparring is huge - you won't learn to fight until you fight.

metoo

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
so ****in what, moron? all old records don't make it iinto Google. :) Check with the MooDukKwan association, in Seoul, if you really want to know. Otherwise, go back to sucking ****.

Gaucho

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
metoo said:
so ****in what, moron? all old records don't make it iinto Google. :) Check with the MooDukKwan association, in Seoul, if you really want to know. Otherwise, go back to sucking ****.
Not only the resident ninja killer, but also the resident dating site troll.

Your about to be banned I would have to think, because it's obvious what you are.

But in the meantime :moon:

SharinganUser

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
metoo said:
lol check the MooDingdong association your self, you limp ****ed **** sucker. Nobody really cares what some ladyboy taught you in some war torn ****-hole. The only one here that sucks **** is you. And you even pay them filipina ladyboys so you can do it. You really are one sick pathetic piece of ****.

Zodiac

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I did Shotokan karate growing up from age 6-11 and got a brown belt before black but learned all the black stuff, just didn't take the test. I also sparred with my cousin that did Akido and sparred at the gym with an Israeli girl that did REAL Krav Maga.

Out of the three of them I found Krav Maga to be the best but sparring against Akido was nice as it helped me learn how to defend myself against kicks like my cousin did, Shotokan taught me how to be fast with my big size along with knowing how to to use weapons such as a staff or dual wielding smaller staffs (Which translate into smaller weapons quite easily such as knowing how to use baton really easy) and Krav Maga taught me how to use random items as weapons.

Pretty much everything has something that you can use from it but you really have to find out what you want out of the discipline before you begin it. Myself for instance was taught the Shotokan early so I'd learn the discipline due to being a tall kid and people in my school wanted to beat up the large guy to prove themselves as a "man," later I learned the Akido defense stuff from my smaller cousin and then lastly I learned my bits of Krav Maga from a girl I spared with.

Seriously its all what you want out of it.

Chamber36

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a good video on traditional Jiu Jitsu. It'll show you that Jiu Jitsu has an endless array of variety.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Join a gym, squat deadlift and bench heavy. Will take a few years of diligent training to get to this stage. Also, train explosive movements such as clean and jerk and power cleans.

2. Take yoga classes or do at-home yoga with youtube instructors. Get to the stage where you would be able to comfortably kick someone in the forehead 5 times in a row while maintaining good balance.

3. Take a self-defense oriented class, 6hrs per week. Krav Maga is good. Learn knife-defense techniques, that is, defending yourself from a knife-wielding assailant.

4. Purchase a small handgun. Kahr PM9 and Kel-tec PF9 are both solid compact firearms, but there are many others. Learn how to use it well. 50 rounds a week for a year. Focus on getting a tight grouping at 25 yards, take your sweet time and focus on getting each shot right. Then, progressively speed up your training so as to achieve roughly the same accuracy in less time.

5. Once you're proficient with the firearm, get a concealed carry license if you have to in your area, and carry it.

6. Purchase a suitable folding knife and carry it. Learn basic knife defense, that is, defending yourself with a knife. If someone attacks you when you have a firearm (lethal force) and you instead use a knife (lethal but less than firearm) to defend yourself then the jury will interpret that as you not wanting to use lethal force. Better to have the option.

7. Purchase two small bottles of self-defense OC spray. Keep one in your car (most muggings occur near your vehicle) and give one to your girlfriend to keep in her purse. Taser works for this purpose too.

8. After 2-4 years of 6hrs per week self defense classes you should be reasonably proficient enough to handle yourself in an ad-hoc street fight. You'll also have a firearm in case you can't run and its life-threatening situation.

9. Try to run away from the circumstance when possible (obviously not if your girlfriend, friend or other dependent is with you). Even if they catch up to you, that initial act of running away will heavily weight the jury's decision in your favor that you tried to get away before using force.

10. Lastly, buy some Quik-clot, wound compression bandages and sterile medical gloves, and keep them in your vehicle trunk and at home. If you get attacked and severely wound the attacker (deep laceration to the abdomen type thing) then keeping him alive (or at least trying) will get you major points infront of a jury. You got to play the game. Many victims have been charged with manslaughter for letting the assailant bleed out in front of them or nearby after an attack.

-

Remember that in court, while it is against the spirit of the system, you will have to justify whatever force you used.

If an unarmed person is running at you from 30 yards away and you can run away, then drawing your firearm and sending hollow-points in his direction will not be construed as self-defense, it will be seen as Murder 2.

If you're walking with your girlfriend in the park and four gang-bangers come out of the bushes and attack you with knives, then you can give them hollow-points until they decide they don't want anymore and run away.

If you don't have a firearm in the same park attack, and your hand-to-hand skills put you in a situation where you have your knee on one of their backs and two others are rushing you with knives, that is a situation where you could break the neck of the guy on the ground since letting him up to defend yourself from the other two means he just becomes another direct threat to your safety. The criminal legal system has good safeguards in place to ensure you never have to choose between life imprisonment and death.

--

Yes the odds of having to defend yourself co-incide with crime rates. And yes, historic crime rates say you're likely to never have to defend yourself in your lifetime. But those are historic rates.

We're one major event away (financial, terrorism, economic, war, natural) from 50% U3 unemployment. When people are hungry, some of them do bad things. In such an event, your odds of getting mugged/robbed would be very high depending on neighborhood. So while current circumstances are more favorable, it will not take much to tip circumstances towards the unfavorable end of the spectrum. In that case, historic rates would not apply.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.ketv.com/r/30195193/detail.html

Police: Robber Gets Fist In Face From Pharmacist

Police Say Donald White Tried To Rob Drugstore With Box Cutter

January 12, 2012

COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa -- Council Bluffs police said a blade-wielding, would-be robber picked the wrong drugstore to hold up. He ended up getting a fist in the face from the pharmacist.

Pharmacist Bill Shipley encountered a man wearing a black stocking over his head on Wednesday morning.

"At first, I thought it was the delivery man delivering our medications that we get every morning," said Shipley.

Shipley, who works at Union Pharmacy, said the man told him he had a gun and demanded hydromorphone.

"It's a pain medication," said Shipley. "If you abuse it, you can get high similar to Oxycontin or morphine."

Shipley, who's no stranger to pain after playing rugby for years, took the situation into his own hands.

"I started moving toward him and I could see he had an orange box cutter in his hand, so then I just punched him in the face," he said.

Shipley said he forced the man outside and held him down until police arrived.

"He kept trying to get his gloves off and saying he was going to shoot me, but I don't think he had a gun, so I just kept punching him," he said.

When officers arrived they took Donald White into custody. They said they believe White stole a truck in Omaha and used it in the attempted robbery of the pharmacy. Investigators said White may have also robbed the CVS Pharmacy in Council Bluffs earlier this week. Charges against White are pending.

It was an unusual morning for Shipley, but it's not the first time he's stopped a crime.

"About 10 years ago the same thing happened with the same result," he said. "I actually chased him down and tackled him further down the parking lot."

Shipley said he'd do it again.

"I know if I wouldn't have done anything I would have regretted it. I just like to take care of the situation."

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cr1msonKing said:
Take a self defense class or Krav Maga or some ****.

Boxing, wrestling, jiu jitsu, judo, you do that **** to compete. I'm not saying it doesn't translate to a real life self defense situation. But these are sports for competition not self defense.
Krav classes in the United States are almost entirely crap. Little to no real contact and sparing. And those that do spar tend to look like Kyukoshin karate sparring. I don't trust any martial art where you don't spar constantly, hit, and most importantly get hit. So many Krav Maga classes look like karate classes where you are doing silly self-defence manuvers against people barely resisting. I've never seen a fight actually look like that.

If you are in the United States you should box and wrestle. It is the finest training in the world at both. There are hardcore boxing gyms in all major cities and most high schools and colleges have wrestling teams. There you will spar against athletes, hit (or slam), and get hit (or slammed). If you can do both you will have all you need for the street. Invest in those and some good running shoes.

iwanttofight

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
f283000 said:
Thanks for this. I started looking into this yesterday and found places in my area.

My only question is it better to go to a place like an mma gym where you can sort of an "all you can eat" of martial arts or is it better to go to a place that focuses on just 1 martial art?
I recommend you go to a mma school first. Get proficient in all the styles of mma. BJJ, boxing, muay thai, and wrestling. Then when you become very good and start whooping people's as*ses in your gym then go to specialized training at other schools with more qualified instructors, grasshopper. Like if you start tapping your instructor out more than once a month then its time to move on to a more experienced gym with some more hardcore mofo's, got me?

Chamber36

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cr1msonKing said:
That video was a joke brah
I just posted the vid to show the variety of techniques in Jiu Jitsu. at 35:00 for example he shows how to do elbow strikes, which I didn't know was actually a part of Jiu Jitsu.

And you can't say boxing>wrestling>judo>Jiu Jitsu?

You're ranking jiu jitsu at the bottom!! I'm sorry sir but Jiu Jitsu>boxing>wrestling simply for the fact that in jiu jitsu you learn many many more techniques, and boxers only know how to fight boxers, and wrestlers only know how to fight wrestlers.

I'll take on any boxer/wrestler who's been training for the same amount of time as me and I'll win because he won't expect a kick/knee to the head, or a submission.

Now judo and jiu jitsu, I wouldn't want to say which of either is better, I think it depends on the skill of the practitioner because they're both nearly the same.

Do you even know any martial arts?