Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Quickest Way to LOSE excess Fat and gain an MMA Physique?

Capodeciña

Don Juan
Reaction score
Copacabana Beach playing Butt Samba with Brazilian
Hi guys,

Can anyone take a crack at this?

I'm currently at about 187 lbs and want to get down to 170-168 lbs by September, 2010. What is the possible quickest route to achieve this? On the way to lose this fat, I want to attain a Middleweight 170-pounder-MMA physique.

I ...............NEED THE HELP!!!!! U bodybuilders or MMA guys chip in!!!!

Neon Owl

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Start reducing your calories gradually week by week.
Keep training with high intensity in the gym but reduce your overall volume of work in each session. This will help you keep your muscle mass while you're dropping body fat.
Remember to keep you protein intake high and cut out the simple carbs 3 hours before bed.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Enter yourself into a "Cutting" mindset. Lift heavy and low reps like you would always train for mass and strength, get that protein and keep your vitamins & nutrients, but cut out all the bs. You'll be amazed how much fat you lose when you cut out the sugar, so quit drinking pop and eating sh!tty food and you'll watch the fat burn off. Quitting pop was a big one for me, that was the missing link to get rid of that pesky little gut that you just can't seem to shake.

Incorporate some ultra high intensity, short duration cardio as well, preferably early in the morning. You'll feel great while your body is burning fat all day long.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Capodeciña said:
Hi guys,

Can anyone take a crack at this?

I'm currently at about 187 lbs and want to get down to 170-168 lbs by September, 2010. What is the possible quickest route to achieve this? On the way to lose this fat, I want to attain a Middleweight 170-pounder-MMA physique.

I ...............NEED THE HELP!!!!! U bodybuilders or MMA guys chip in!!!!
I'd incorporate a solid upper/lower body split similar to Joe Defranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles.html

I'd have you do sprints the day after doing leg workouts (30-45 min sprint intervals)

Eat a protein and good fat based diet. Only carbs you could have would be @ breakfast, before and after workouts. Still struggling to lose fat after that, I'd cut out carbs before workouts...than cut out the ones at breakfast a few times a week.

Shelby Sternes has a routine called "carb cycling" that could be a very good thing to follow for you. Look it up.

On saturdays (or whatever day you feel would work best for you) you could do light barbell complexes (very light as these are brutal)

Any days you can I'd do morning fasted cardio with nothing but BCAA's / green tea/stimulants (caffeine) in your stomach...no bcaa's ? maybe a real light protein based meal. Than rest of the day nice solid protein+ good fat meals and you can throw some complex carbs here or there if you notice yourself looking a bit too "flat" in the mirror.

darkstarrr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Dancing with the Devil by the pale moonlight.
just do what i used to do after breakups. stop eating! lol

seriously though, stop eating big meals for a week. try a liquid diet such as Ensure, with plenty of water and fiber. don't eat in the first 3 hours after waking up or in the last 3 hours before falling asleep.

stay as immobile as you can for that week too so some of your muscle mass will breaks down.

you could lose 10 lbs in the first week.

the following week ease back into becomming mobile by taking long walks and having one meal per day in place of one of the liquid diet meals.

the week after that start a cardio routine wherein you run on a treadmill for a mile, 3 times a week. at this point you should be having 2 meals a day with a 3rd being the liquid nutrition meal.

from here on out try to maintain the diet i just stated but mix in high reps of core movements (squat, bench, rows, pull downs, shoulder press, crunches on a machine that works the entire midesction such as the ab lounge XL)

when doing any of the physical activity stated above wear sweat pants and a sweat shirt over a tshirt, and maybe a head band so you sweat more.

also immediately start taking green tea extract (ut promotes fat burning) which you can get at the supermarket or anywhere else.

tat's just what i would do. if you may have any health issues always consult a doctor before starting any kind of workout or diet altering regimine.

good luck!

Reaction score
I'm currently at about 187 lbs and want to get down to 170-168 lbs by September, 2010. What is the possible quickest route to achieve this?

Clean, lean diet (alot of protein, good carbs, water, but on a slim calorie intake), weight train like normal, but do alot of HITT Cardio. You want to increase your metabolism higher than what it is currently so your actual lost of weight during rest periods is higher than normal.

Being_the_Don

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
darkstarrr said:
stay as immobile as you can for that week too so some of your muscle mass will breaks down.

you could lose 10 lbs in the first week.
Losing 10 pounds in one week ain't healthy. And why would you want to break down muscle mass? :confused: Muscle speeds up metabolism; not only that, muscle is important for our survival.

Capodeciña

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to reply boys!

I was told about the HITT Cardio routine, so I'll be going with this now. Is this a weekly thing (mon - fri) or off days, How long should I jog every morning before I go work? How many laps reccommended?

darkstarrr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Being_the_Don said:
Losing 10 pounds in one week ain't healthy. And why would you want to break down muscle mass? :confused: Muscle speeds up metabolism; not only that, muscle is important for our survival.
please dont quote me out of context. one example of when you would want to break down a little muscle mass is when you are a blob with cankles.

http://inyourface.freedomblogging.com/files/2009/09/cankles-450w-pre-post-dailymail.jpg

http://www.americanhealthandbeauty.com/art/cankles-on-the-doctors.jpg

meaning some of that unshapely muscle has been developed due to the necesity to lug around extra fat. no kidding muscle is important for survival..lol

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's easy to lose "ten pounds" in the first week of a new diet, but more than half of that is water + energy stored in the liver. Mathematically at 185 pounds you can only lose 2-3 pounds of body fat per week (1000-1500 calories per day!) and still be in any shape to train, let alone fight. And that would be hard as hell, even with ironclad discipline.

You have at least twelve weeks. That's about a pound and a half per week. Create a calorie deficit of at least 750 calories per day and you'll hit the mark easily.

Whatever you do, don't stay still for a week. That's the most asinine suggestion I've ever heard. Run/train/do intervals, whatever it takes to be active. But it's going to be your diet that determines whether you succeed, not your activity level.

darkstarrr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Throttle said:
Whatever you do, don't stay still for a week. That's the most asinine suggestion I've ever heard.
of course it would seem asinine to you considering you dont have a buddy with a wife who used to be fat with cankles, who paid professional physical trainers to restructure her body.

it seemed asinine to me too until it was explained to me how her fat body over the years had caused her calves and ankles to explode with manly muscle to support the rest of her.

they put her on a similar regimine to the one i explained above and her massive legs broke down some muscle and fat over that first week. during the following weeks she continued to lose fat and tone the muscle she did have until she shrunk down to about 130 from 165.

she shops at whole foods now and has gained back a few pounds but she's still very active and probably under 135. she looks great and the cankles never came back.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
she was fat, so starving her shrunk her. her situation is totally different from this guy's. she wasn't looking to do MMA in the fall, I don't expect. he isn't 35 pounds overweight, non-atheletic and looking to lose a pair cankles. what's asinine is giving the same advice to two people with near opposite situations and goals.

Julius_Seizeher

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So you don't think he should get a membership at Curves?

darkstarrr

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Capodeciña said:
What is the possible quickest route to achieve this?
As brief as the OP's first post was, I think you missed the part above. :rolleyes:

I also mentioned in my post that is what I would do if I were trying to achieve the goals he listed. I think we can move on from this now..

Capodeciña

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bump

I'm not sure how many MMA students are in here, but if you've heard of or watch some UFC and Strikeforce welter-weight fights. You should be definetly familiar with Thiago Alves who trains with American Top Team. He's at 170 lb (77 kg 12 st) and 5 ft 9 inches.

Now, I've argued that he's a little taller than that. He's in the WW division but looks brolic as a ten tone truck, is this because he's more muscle mass and less bone mass?

This is the physique I'm longing to achieve. No more, no less. I'm currently at 187 lbs (85 kg 13.5 st) and 5 ft 10 inches, what muscle workout routines would you prescribe I undertake? I've started MMA Lessons twice a week and do HIIT cardio the other three days.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2010/06/29/alves_fitch_117/
http://www.mmafight.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/thiago-alves.jpg
http://www.watchufc112.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/thiago-alves.jpg

In these pics, notice how his shoulders are broader inclined, whilst his chest has more muscle mass. In the first picture, he has a very arched back which I've noticed in Muay Thai fighters alot - I've been doing Deadlifts but not sure what else I should be doing to achieve this. Can anybody help me?

lorekeeper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I lost 20lbs this month with consultation from CarlitosWay and EFFORT. I'm far from a MMA build, but it's close to what I want to achive.

Strength and Honor brother
-Lore

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Those are professional physiques and will take years to build.

Essentially just stick to the basics, as bland as that sounds.

1. Nutrition - discussed ad nauseam on this board, no shortage of solid info.
2. Strength training - stick to the basics (squat, dead, bench, ohp)
3. Cardio - variety of cardio, 4-6x weekly. sprints, jogs, walks, skipping, etc.

Aim for 7-10+ hours of physical exercise per week.

There really is no quick and easy way, it will take you a long time. Best thing you can do is enjoy the process and learn to feel great after each session.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When your training for a sport you don't train to look a certain way. You train/eat to perform the best you can for that particular sport, the body you get is a bi-product (and still can very depending on your genetics)

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EFFORT said:
When your training for a sport you don't train to look a certain way. You train/eat to perform the best you can for that particular sport, the body you get is a bi-product (and still can very depending on your genetics)

Exactly. If you want an mma physique, then take up a fighting sport and spend the time on the mat. It can be boxing, jiu-jitsu, mma, or wrestling. You don't have to compete, and if you are smart about it, you can minimize injuries.

Personally, I find exercise boring as hell. I could never do all the things recommended here. But training at something you enjoy is not boring. It's a lot easier to do something fun and let the fitness come on its own. If you train enough, you will be in great shape.

And fwiw, guys who fight at 170 probably walk around at about 185. Weigh-ins are the day before, so a 170 fighter probably gets in the cage weighing about 180. Todd Duffee is a UFC fighter who trains with American Top Team, was on the Muscle & Fitness cover a while back. I don't know Duffee well, but he is from my small town, and we know a lot of the same people, so I added him on facebook. A while back his status was "damn Thiago hits hard. Ouch."