Purpose of School?

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Interpol
Robert Kiyosaki has a bizarre, one-sided, and irrational contempt for institutes of higher learning.
It is only bizarre or irrational to you because it doesn't fit your conventional way of thinking.

There are two completely different ways to view the world of money. The first way is the way most people see it. They rarely question WHY they are going to school, they simply think that is the way to make enough money to support themselves. They believe that the more money they make per hour (or week, month, year, whatever), the better off financially they will be.

The other way to view money is learning the difference between an asset and a liablility and how to go about acquiring the most assets in the shortest period of time. Truly, if people only knew how simple (simple and easy are very different) it is to become wealthy they might actually try to do it.

If you only look at money as being one dimensional you will fall into the "chasing a paycheck" trap like everyone else. Even if you take classes that teach you how to start and run a business you aren't going to be much better off than your neighbor who is working a job UNLESS you learn the many other facets of money. I know, I've been there!

Regardless of the fact of whether or not you go to school or hold a degree or whatever, you MUST learn to deal with money as a business in itself, and learn what it takes to make it grow once you have it.

Bottom line- school WILL NOT teach you how to get rich, it's up to you to find that outside the classroom doors.

Interpol

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by STR8UP
It is only bizarre or irrational to you because it doesn't fit your conventional way of thinking.

There are two completely different ways to view the world of money. The first way is the way most people see it. They rarely question WHY they are going to school, they simply think that is the way to make enough money to support themselves. They believe that the more money they make per hour (or week, month, year, whatever), the better off financially they will be.

The other way to view money is learning the difference between an asset and a liablility and how to go about acquiring the most assets in the shortest period of time. Truly, if people only knew how simple (simple and easy are very different) it is to become wealthy they might actually try to do it.

If you only look at money as being one dimensional you will fall into the "chasing a paycheck" trap like everyone else. Even if you take classes that teach you how to start and run a business you aren't going to be much better off than your neighbor who is working a job UNLESS you learn the many other facets of money. I know, I've been there!

Regardless of the fact of whether or not you go to school or hold a degree or whatever, you MUST learn to deal with money as a business in itself, and learn what it takes to make it grow once you have it.

Bottom line- school WILL NOT teach you how to get rich, it's up to you to find that outside the classroom doors.

Blah blah blah blah blah. What you said has NOTHING to do with anything I've argued in this thread.

I'm just defending institutes of higher education from those who put them down without any idea of what they're really talking about.

sifer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Interpol
Blah blah blah blah blah. What you said has NOTHING to do with anything I've argued in this thread.

I believe he tackled what he quoted.

I'm just defending institutes of higher education from those who put them down without any idea of what they're really talking about.

What is there to defend if noone is attacking it?

We are attacking SCHOOLS, which is not the same thing as EDUCATION, the two should never be synonym.

You say "those who put them down without any idea of what they're really talking about."

Just a couple of questions, who is "those"?

What are you trying to say when you say "idea of what they're really talking about"?

Or was that an insult.

Luveno

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most people are mislead by the old adage:

the more you work the more you'll get out of it.

This is complete bs. Education should be done for learning sake and a true drive for it. Money should be made using the markets and investments.

Interpol

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What is there to defend if noone is attacking it?

We are attacking SCHOOLS, which is not the same thing as EDUCATION, the two should never be synonym.

You say "those who put them down without any idea of what they're really talking about."

Just a couple of questions, who is "those"?

What are you trying to say when you say "idea of what they're really talking about"?

Or was that an insult.
I'm talking about people who keep making Kiyosuki-esque comments like:

"College only teaches you how to work for other people"

"College turns you into a wage-slave robot"

"College will not teach you about money"

"Most successful people didn't go to college"

"Everything they teach in college can be learned in a book"

and the other rampant BS attacks that have been prevalent in education-related threads.

Gus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm actually mad at myself for not having an idea to get rich. Considering how gullible and ignorant the average person is, it should be easy to make a lot of money.
That's great. So in a few years, you'll be lying on your deathbed, about to die, and you'll be thinking "Man I really gave life everything I had...I was real productive, and helped promote a stable government, country, and economy by being a scam-artist, a con-man, a liar, a thief, and by faking reality."

What a way to live. If you can seriously consider a job like that for yourself, and look at yourself in the mirror without regret, then you are in the same boat as the most despicable human beings that have ever lived.

tristan22

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
derEikopf

Are you really as stupid as you appear. Before misconstruing my words, please thoroughly read them. My post was directed towards mans stupidity and lack of appreciation for money ( EX: People waste money on ridiculous things, they live pay check to pay check, and they try to keep up with the Jones, even if that means going in debt).

I'm not advocating thievery and dishonesty, i'm just pointing out examples, so get off of my jock!

Jvesti

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by tristan22
derEikopf

Are you really as stupid as you appear. Before misconstruing my words, please thoroughly read them. My post was directed towards mans stupidity and lack of appreciation for money ( EX: People waste money on ridiculous things, they live pay check to pay check, and they try to keep up with the Jones, even if that means going in debt).

I'm not advocating thievery and dishonesty, i'm just pointing out examples, so get off of my jock!
Actually that's how it came accross.

"People are stupid I'm surprized i haven't had an idea to take advantage of them."

Then you sited examples of people "you know" that cheat the system. You never mentioned anything positive or constructive connected to your being surprized you haven't had an idea yet. or your business aspirations.

Ya so I agree with what he said as the way what you said was put. That's why I didn't respond when you made that post about how to start a business about 2 weeks ago. Same sentiments with someone I just talked to. And I suspect that was the reason for everyone's lack of posting to help you.

Watch what you say man. Even if it was a mistake. Some people ferociousely guard and defend integrity if something seems like it might remotely attack it.

And as for an offshoot commentary about that screw over mindset that your post came accross as even if you didn't mean it. This is for anyone who has that "ooooh im bad im gonna screw over everyone attitude" that i've actually heard when some kid was trying to impress me before. So I know its out there:

"48 Laws of Power" is stories told of midievil courts. And anarchist situations where there was no order to prevent people from iniating force upon one another. Written by some literary nerd. Save it for politics, kings courts and or if you work in the drug trade.

Real quality businesses dont work that way And if deceitful, sneaky, manipulative people creep into a company. Yeah sure their ways might be able to leverage themselves up a position or two. But guess what, it rots the organization from the inside and is certain to reap what it sows. That's why nothin ever gets done in gov't. Everyone's watchin their backs and most of their time is spent trying to find a way to manipulate the manipulative opponent. And can't focus on results. Same thing here, if everyone's watchin their back the new companies come on up and cream the old arrogant one with the full force of business cooperation.

Are their manipulative people who are out there to prey on people who have some decent coin. Yup, but i'd rather not live in a world with people like that. They belong in jail. And theirs much more people who are wealthy with integrity.

Want to learn the right attitude read "Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill. Then study the lives of some of the great 20th century entrepreneurs. For most of them integrity was the prime target the cornerstone of their business. Carnegie, Jack Welch, firestone, JC Penney. You look at the businessmen who had downfalls you'll see someone trying to hold positions of power without earning it, or trying to cut people down to hold power.

Things have a way of evening themselves out.

And ya Integrity is all we've got. It's one of the reasons that America is such an economic powerhouse.

You try to do business in other countries bribing inspectors and making sweet deals with gov't officials is just commonplace. In Russia anyone who has success in business has to watch his back or he'll get iced by a competitor. And while their doing that places that have lower coruption get to focus working together and bring out as much value as possible to get that equivalent $$$ in return.

Last edited:

Permission

Banned
Reaction score
School can open more options for you in life, but often what is taught is archaic.