Purpose of School?

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I currently go to a university, and I have to say, sometimes it seems like school really does suck. A lot of the stuff we study is so impractical and really doesn't relate to real life.

Sure, I feel it is important to gain an understanding of the world and of life through studying various literatures, but I often get tired of all the bullsh*t deadlines, due dates, and assignments I have to do.

Anyway, does anyone else feel like this? Does anyone sometimes feel that school is just an utter waste of time?

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Technically school is at the same time a waste of time and a time saver.

Back in the old days people would learn a task by doing it. It took a really long time to learn how to do this so they started making universities to specialize in one thing which sped up the process. So technically you save time by going to school but at the same time you lose the real world experience.

undesputable

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i wish i lived in the old days. when a college degree wasnt a must

belividere

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Vincent
Technically school is at the same time a waste of time and a time saver.

Back in the old days people would learn a task by doing it. It took a really long time to learn how to do this so they started making universities to specialize in one thing which sped up the process. So technically you save time by going to school but at the same time you lose the real world experience.
This is true but it seems that somewhere along the line higher ed turned mandatory and actual specialization in one area got buried. For almost every major I can think of where classroom learing is imperative for real world applications there is an alternative major were nothing worthwhile is taught. I'm not going to knock school though since it is a great way for you to learn about what you actually enjoy and what you want to spend your life doing. Unfortunately nowadays it seems like more people are going to school but fewer are using their degrees for what they mean.

Luveno

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
University is a business, and they draw out the learning process as long as it can go, as well as throw some superfluous junk in there, so that its value is high. Thus, profits increase.

quest

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WORKEROUTER
I currently go to a university, and I have to say, sometimes it seems like school really does suck. A lot of the stuff we study is so impractical and really doesn't relate to real life.

Sure, I feel it is important to gain an understanding of the world and of life through studying various literatures, but I often get tired of all the bullsh*t deadlines, due dates, and assignments I have to do.

Anyway, does anyone else feel like this? Does anyone sometimes feel that school is just an utter waste of time?
you know what! i found a way to cancel deadlines!

if you start your work immediantly you'll always get it done before the deadline, and you can hand it in whever you want!

(i don't do this, because i'm lazy.)

GlutusMaximus86

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Re: Re: Purpose of School?

Originally posted by quest
you know what! i found a way to cancel deadlines!

if you start your work immediantly you'll always get it done before the deadline, and you can hand it in whever you want!

(i don't do this, because i'm lazy.)
I used to do my work immediatley, but over the past year I've been proscinating really badly and it's almost as if now I can only work well when the due date for an assignment is the next day. I wish I knew why this was happening :(.

TheDarkSaint

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey workerouter,

What's your major? You might be happier at a specialized school, such as a school for buisness or archetecture or whatever.

My proffs used to tell me that you didn't go to a University to get trained for a job. You went there to learn about something. Big diffrence.

Reaction score
Education expands your horizon - you'll see more than that which your own eyes can give you!!! You are using other people's brain to sharpen your sight - take advantage of it!!!

You'll appreciate it later!!!! Trust me kid, these are the best days of your life -- enjoy them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
School is for:

1) Picking up chicks
2) Getting laid
3) Hanging out with guys

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
4) Getting that piece of paper which gives you a job.

Yeah you don't learn anything useful at school, but you might's well get that piece of paper and get laid.

JPR

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I just graduated a year ago with an engineering degree and let me tell you it ain't worth anything in real world :( All it gave me was a piece of paper that could possibly get me a nice paying job, as far as real world skills - nope. I am not using any of the high level math I learned, nor am I using any oh the high end engineering classes I had to take.
And as far as getting a job, I've learned again and again it's who you know not what you know - that's how I got my current job and so did a few of my college buddies :cool:

PoS

Don Juan
Reaction score
now days everyone has a college degree. it's a worthless $50.000 dollar paper. it would be different story if ur an ivy league graduate.

Last edited:

spider_007

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's funny when i hear peple graduating with some stupid degrees like; philosopy, psychology, marketing....... and they all endup working on an assembly line somewhere doing physical labour...:)

But there is some important stuff in school. I never thought I'd use math, and trigonometry, but I use it all the time now. I used to think English class was a waste of time, but i regret it now (cause i have a hard time spelling, and comunicating in general).

You can split your education in two groops; personal inerast or helpfull for future.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
An often overlooked benefit of a college education is that a well-rounded well spoken person is able to deal with people on a favorable footing.
I think one reason that I think the clients I service treat me well (dare I say, as an equal) is not merely that I'm in business for myself, but that I write, speak and present myself well.
Presenting yourself well and appearing educated are very important in building and maintaing credibility especially if you're in sales, management, or own your own business.
Now, it's not necessary to go to college to get that way, many people are self-educated, but I think college gives a good structure for learning.

Chimera

Don Juan
Reaction score
School is supposed to prepare you for the rest of your life, but it really doesn't. I mean, you get social skills and you learn a few important things, but a lot of it seems pointless.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Another good reason to attend school is to make connections that are helpful for later on in life.

BrotherAP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm in school and I love it.

My older cousin graduated five years ago. He now lives in the East Village in NYC working for a company a good college buddy started, making bank and loving life. He said "It's cool to have money, but school's so much fun. Man do I miss the girls."

I'd take fun over money anyday. Stay in school for the girls! For the girls man!

Pook

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Boston Globe has a piece by Daniel Cheever, Friday, that is titled, "Is College Worth It?" (Cheever is a College President) Many parents easily borrow 100 grand to put for a kid's college education. But let us say you put that money into paper assets and not touch it for thirty years. You will recieve millions of dollars. You will recieve more than you could if you got your degree and "worked" all that time.

It is fascinating, isn't it? Parents will loan you a lot of money for you to work the rest of your life for someone else, but they will not loan money for their own investment.

The purpose of college is a factory to create employees. What they won't teach you in school is a financial education, even business schools do a poor job of it. So take the time to learn and practice investing and selling now. Rather than spending all your time chasing worthless girls, invest in yourself. Pvssy comes, pvssy goes, but YOU are forever.