Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

No deadlifts at planet fitness...?

Chrom3y

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok I just started working out but I wanted to know what the hell am I supposed to do to replace deadlifts? I read that there is no substitute and planet fitness has banned them. pretty gay...but how much will this affect my n00b gains since I cant do them? Im thinking of buying my own bar and do them at home, then finish the workout at the gym. Good idea?

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You have a couple of options. The best is your own suggestion of buying a bar, but you would also have to get a power rack and bench etc, to make it worth while. This could be costly, but if you can afford it it is recommened.

Another option is to find a better gym that will allow you to do deadlifts. A powerlifting gym would be best.

If you can't do either of those, and have to stay at this gym, then replace all of your deadlifts with good mornings. Since you would be using it to build the deadlift, try to mimick the starting poistion of your deadlift when your in the bottom position of the good morning. Incase you don't know, this is a good morning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRuJdQDvlOE

Good luck.

P.s.-Remember and work your grip hard.

Monster

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't go there. They cater towards women. They basically don't want you to make noise while you workout. Good luck doing big lifts with heavy weights quietly.

Quiksilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's a feminist gym. Built for breeding submissive, gentle, and weak men with no backbone(pun?).

TheVirtualMind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, Planet Fitness isn't exactly the worlds best gym. Free pizza nights? Seriously? Yeah, for $10 a month, it sounds great. But they limit so much of what you can do.

Chrom3y

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea well its all i got until school strats back up. im sure i can make some noob gains over the summer tho...right? i hope so

PeeGee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Free pizza night? From a marketing and business standpoint it's brilliant! That's all it is though.

If you can't find a place that lets you do DL do them at home.

Can you do DB deadlifts?

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just do them anyway. Most gym noobs don't even know what a proper deadlift looks like, they think a "straight legged deadlift with back rounded and no touching the floor" is the standard deadlift. Most personal trainers won't care if they realise what you are doing, and many won't know what you are doing. Only the managers will really care. Just try to deadlift in secluded spots away from women, and if anyway tells you to stop deadlifting, just say you were doing rack pulls (from the floor).

Chrom3y

Don Juan
Reaction score
To PeeGee: I dont think DB deadlifts will cut it will they? Seems kinda awkard.

To that other guy: I noticed its not possible to do goodmornings or deadlifts. THEY DONT HAVE INDIVIDUAL BARS WTF! Im staying here for two months then Im quitting this half a$$ gym.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
They don't have individual bars? Then how are you supposed to squat, bench press, Over head press?

Get out of there asap and find a powerlifting gym

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
that's very good advice, espi. here's some more:

https://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_on...erformance_bodybuilding/deadlifts_not_allowed

(scroll down)

in any case, a bar & power rack may be too big and expensive for many guys' rooms/garages/apartments, but it's dirt cheap & durable compared to the fancy elliptical machines that these shiny gyms specialize in. you shouldn't have to pay a lot for using equipment you're hardly adding any wear and tear to.

Last edited:

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Surely there are more than one alternative free weight option to work every muscle group worked by the deadlift. Also, there's one element of the body not put at risk by any of these other alternatives - the lower back (one exception being the half squat).

Perhaps it's not the grunting they're worried about, it's the medical lawsuit you might file after you've blown out your lower back doing an improperly exectured deadlift. At least consider the possibility that the inventor of the exercise properly chose a name for it.

I'm about to start up a weight lifting routine myself. I want it high intensity, but it's also going to be relatively low to almost no risk. To each his own, but I want my spine and lower back to possibly take me into my 90s.

Captain Harlock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
azanon said:
I'm about to start up a weight lifting routine myself. I want it high intensity, but it's also going to be relatively low to almost no risk. To each his own, but I want my spine and lower back to possibly take me into my 90s.
you mean you're not deadlifting? It's not a weight lifting routine then.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
azanon said:
You want a healthy lower back? Then deadlift. You think building up muscle actually weakens your back?

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do it anyway. F*ck em.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was kinda hoping for a reason why the other exercises that duplicate what the dead lift does doesn't work or why they're so much less effective as to constitute not even working out. That just seems like an extreme claim to not back up.

CaptainJ said:
You want a healthy lower back? Then deadlift. You think building up muscle actually weakens your back?
Look, I'll admit I've never been really serious with weight lifting. I'm just saying from mostly observation, it looks like that exercise involves 1. A LOT of weight, and you perform it by bending down and by putting a lot of strain on the back - be it the muscle or what's supporting the muscle (including the spine)). I admit I'm no MD, but I'm going to guess stressing the spine with extreme weight is potentially unhealthy.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Chrom3y said:
Ok I just started working out but I wanted to know what the hell am I supposed to do to replace deadlifts? I read that there is no substitute and planet fitness has banned them. pretty gay...but how much will this affect my n00b gains since I cant do them? Im thinking of buying my own bar and do them at home, then finish the workout at the gym. Good idea?

Unless you have no other option, ditch planet f@gness and go to a real gym. You need a place where you can do work, use chalk, bang plates and for the love of God...do deadlifts.

I cant believe that rubbish.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
azanon said:
Look, I'll admit I've never been really serious with weight lifting. I'm just saying from mostly observation, it looks like that exercise involves 1. A LOT of weight, and you perform it by bending down and by putting a lot of strain on the back - be it the muscle or what's supporting the muscle (including the spine)). I admit I'm no MD, but I'm going to guess stressing the spine with extreme weight is potentially unhealthy.

That's where progressive resistance and *impeccable* form come in.

I have injured my back doing deadlifts, and each time I either a) made too large of a jump in weight between sets (eg., 100+ lbs) or b) tried to pull more weight than my body was prepared for that day.

Deadlifts are a dangerous lift, which is why your form must be PERFECT before attempting singles and heavy weight. Even still, I only deadlift twice a month. On my 'off' weeks I do straight-leg deadlifts with moderate weight or hyper-extensions.