No deadlifts at planet fitness...?

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well anyway I'm gym shopping too and I'd like to put on some mass. I'm 5'11" 160 now, and quite fit (in an aerobic tennis sort of way), so what I'm thinking of is, say, an extra 20 lbs of bulk muscle with just good nutrition and safe power lifting. My diet has been crap and also I've been cutting a bit, so this should be quite easy for me I'd think.

Am I safe to assume the ones of you pursuing these really intense free weights aren't just interested in 20-30 lbs of muscle, but are trying to become one of those huge guys that scare little children? My idea of a goal would be MAX Daniel Craig in movie form.

If I can accomplish that without the high risk exercises like deadlifts or bent barbell rows, I'd really prefer that. I get a bit uncomfortable that I'm going to hurt myself just doing squats, much less those. I'd prefer to substitute some of the weight machines if possible. Where are the workouts for "pretty-boy" DJs that don't want to risk blowing out a back due to "improper form"? At gyms I've been at in the past, usually the really huge guys who could easily break me hang out doing deadlifts. I just get that feeling that I have no business even being over there, lol.

Captain Harlock

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
azanon said:
Well anyway I'm gym shopping too and I'd like to put on some mass. I'm 5'11" 160 now, and quite fit (in an aerobic tennis sort of way), so what I'm thinking of is, say, an extra 20 lbs of bulk muscle with just good nutrition and safe power lifting. My diet has been crap and also I've been cutting a bit, so this should be quite easy for me I'd think.

Am I safe to assume the ones of you pursuing these really intense free weights aren't just interested in 20-30 lbs of muscle, but are trying to become one of those huge guys that scare little children? My idea of a goal would be MAX Daniel Craig in movie form.

If I can accomplish that without the high risk exercises like deadlifts or bent barbell rows, I'd really prefer that. I get a bit uncomfortable that I'm going to hurt myself just doing squats, much less those. I'd prefer to substitute some of the weight machines if possible. Where are the workouts for "pretty-boy" DJs that don't want to risk blowing out a back due to "improper form"?
get someone to spot you. Tell him to watch if you keep your back straight during deadlifts. Anyone with an IQ above 50 can do that.

btw, my ideal physque would be something along the lines of Arnold Schwarzenegger, or any top 70's bodybuilder. Unfortunatly that is not a very realistic goal (though possible with today's advancements in medicine).

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Captain Harlock said:
btw, my ideal physque would be something along the lines of Arnold Schwarzenegger, or any top 70's bodybuilder. Unfortunatly that is not a very realistic goal (though possible with today's advancements in medicine).
If that's what you like, who am I to knock it? I think that's mostly a guy thing though, and past a certain point, women will range from not caring less about the massive, unnatural looking muscles to being outright turned off by it. In fact, if that's the general mentality of those programs stickied in the health and fitness, I think those belong more appropriately in the "anything else" section of this forum.

This does make me wonder, are there any really good discussions on the ideal DJ body? Of course I realize one cant do anything about height, but I do wonder if there's a general consensus on a great weight/bmi/physique that'd be ideal for attractiveness to women. If that was my goal, then what weight should I shoot for? Is 180 enough. 190? Certainly not much more than that I'd think.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
...I juiced for three years and ballooned up to 260 lbs. at one point, and I can tell you that I've never fvuvked more women since because I was big, and I was ****y-confident...and women loved it--but I hated it because it was difficult for me to move efficiently, and I often felt hot and sweaty...these days I'm down to 220 lbs. with a lean, muscular build, and still ****y-confident--and women still seem to like me.

I believe it. One of my buddies from the gym is around 5'11'', 255...tremendous muscular size. When we go out this guy literally doesnt have to do anything but stand there, and women come to him. HOT women. To boot, he is an affable guy and is really down-to-earth about his size, so he doesnt repel people with a d!ckhead attitude.

My philosophy on the "perfect" body for women is---WHO CARES?!?! It matters what YOU want, not what they want. You'll never please them all. What I have found, and other big guys can corroborate this, is that you will encounter so many women who say they dont like the "icky, bodybuilder look", but when you throw the chips on the table that all goes out the window. It's primal attraction. I'm not saying one has to achieve this epic hulking frame to have that kind of magnetism, but women can see---I'd even go so far as to say SMELL--a masculine, muscular, powerful body. I'm dead serious.

That said, there are 2 traps one can fall into with the pursuit of muscle: You can make the mistake of training for women, and you make the even worse mistake of deriving all of your confidence and identity from your physique. There has to be more to a man than a mountain of muscle, because that muscle will all one day be gone.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
azanon said:

If I can accomplish that without the high risk exercises like deadlifts or bent barbell rows, I'd really prefer that. I get a bit uncomfortable that I'm going to hurt myself just doing squats, much less those. I'd prefer to substitute some of the weight machines if possible. Where are the workouts for "pretty-boy" DJs that don't want to risk blowing out a back due to "improper form"? At gyms I've been at in the past, usually the really huge guys who could easily break me hang out doing deadlifts. I just get that feeling that I have no business even being over there, lol.

Azanon--

That's B.S. When I started lifting I was almost exactly your size---6', 160 lbs. Today I'm just shy of 220, with a 30'' waist and decent abs. I built this size through 3 things: Heavy, progressive free weights, consistency, and HARD work. No one ever achieved a rugged frame of muscle by moving machines. Machines have their place, but think of them as a polisher, not an earth-mover.

A lot of non-weight training guys have this perception that to lift free weights they have to put these tremendous poundages on the bar and risk serious injury. Not true. It's all relative.

Think of it this way: Say today you can bench 150, squat 185 and deadlift 200. If you add just 3lbs per week to each lift, in one year's time you will be benching 300, squatting 335, and deadlifting 350. That's just 3 lbs per week you are adding to the bar-- 1.5 lbs on each side. We'll even be conservative and say you add 2 lbs per week to each lift. That's still brings your lifts up to 250, 285, and 300, respectively; assuming you take two weeks off at some point.

It is a foregone conclusion that within one year's time--with a good diet-- your body will have had NO CHOICE but to respond to the progressive stimulus and synthesize significant amounts of thick, hard muscle tissue to adapt. I'd bet you money that if you are eating properly and maintaining this progressive workload, you could put AT LEAST 20 lbs of pure muscle on your frame...and that's being conservative. It's so simple, it just takes a lot of sweat and dedication.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Colossus said:
Azanon--

That's B.S. When I started lifting I was almost exactly your size---6', 160 lbs. Today I'm just shy of 220, with a 30'' waist and decent abs. I built this size through 3 things: Heavy, progressive free weights, consistency, and HARD work. No one ever achieved a rugged frame of muscle by moving machines. Machines have their place, but think of them as a polisher, not an earth-mover.

A lot of non-weight training guys have this perception that to lift free weights they have to put these tremendous poundages on the bar and risk serious injury. Not true. It's all relative.

Think of it this way: Say today you can bench 150, squat 185 and deadlift 200. If you add just 3lbs per week to each lift, in one year's time you will be benching 300, squatting 335, and deadlifting 350. That's just 3 lbs per week you are adding to the bar-- 1.5 lbs on each side. We'll even be conservative and say you add 2 lbs per week to each lift. That's still brings your lifts up to 250, 285, and 300, respectively; assuming you take two weeks off at some point.

It is a foregone conclusion that within one year's time--with a good diet-- your body will have had NO CHOICE but to respond to the progressive stimulus and synthesize significant amounts of thick, hard muscle tissue to adapt. I'd bet you money that if you are eating properly and maintaining this progressive workload, you could put AT LEAST 20 lbs of pure muscle on your frame...and that's being conservative. It's so simple, it just takes a lot of sweat and dedication.
30" waist at 220/6'? That's pretty awesome. I'm a 34" waist even now (but I do have wide hip bones).

Reading this, and some other materials, you guys have convinced me to try it the "free weights" way. I'm just going to have to be very careful at first to not hurt my back since I'll be new at this and I don't want to use wrong technique. I'll probably also start off a bit more conservatively than the "start here" post that has me maxing on day one, then hitting it really hard. Even though I'm in good shape (for tennis), I AM 37 so I'm a bit more fragile than I used to be.

I'm plenty self-confident at my age, but that being said, I hope I don't get "are you lost" looks when I go to working out where they're doing deadlifts and squats. Hope the guys are nice too, because if some dude is 260+ asks me to move along, I'll probably not try to hold my ground, lol.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Espi said:
There are countless threads on this site debating the ideal male physique...you and everyone else can argue until the cows come home about which physique type is best......some women love to fvuck the steroided-BB-types like Arnold; others prefer the lean, sinewy types like Brad Pitt in Fight Club; regardless of your build, you'll NEVER be able to please every woman...I juiced for three years and ballooned up to 260 lbs. at one point, and I can tell you that I've never fvuvked more women since because I was big, and I was ****y-confident...and women loved it--but I hated it because it was difficult for me to move efficiently, and I often felt hot and sweaty...these days I'm down to 220 lbs. with a lean, muscular build, and still ****y-confident--and women still seem to like me.

So go with what YOU like....whether it's lean or overly muscualr, women will notice...you will stand out...
Yeah, I saw a recent pic of Robert Pattison (dude in Twilight girls (some women) have been lusting over). He has no chest size whatsoever, and is plenty more scrawny than I am (IMO).

Irs88

Don Juan
Reaction score
I didnt read this thread throuhgout but if they ban deadlifts....FIND A NEW GYM

deadlifts are my fav lift :/