Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Millionaire tip of the day- Meet a 20yr. old MILLIONAIRE

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by STR8UP
Not to make an example of you, but this is EXACTLY why so many people have problems with money.

Just to clarify, using credit cards to buy property isn't the only way and it certainly isn't the best way to acquire real estate. But the problem here is that your mind is telling you incorrectly that "debt" and "high interest" are automatically bad. You are seeing things in black and white while missing all of the colors.

I used credit cards as a substitute for having the cash up front. At the time I wouldn't have been able to buy anything if I didn't look past the black and white to find a way to make this happen.

just to clarify to you, that i purchased my own home four years ago. i did not need a credit card for any closing costs.
what i did , was i got approved for a first time home owners loan and other loans such as H.A.N.D.S., AHP, and Home grants.
my down payment was one dollar, that is right one hundred cents.
my closing costs were zero.
my payment is based on my annual adjusted income, with deductions for my children and childcare payments.
my $90,000 brand new home will cost a total of $64,000 to me.
my home was featured in Federal Home Loan Bank of Cincinnati 2002 annual report .

For more information to actually buy a home and save money , please contact www.fhlbcin.com or http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/
look for the program called "yes you can own your own home"

its not a get rich scheme, however it is a perfect example of how to buy your own home without the big prices.

Page

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Giovanni Casanova

Societies consisting only of blue collar workers (repair shops, farmers, shopkeepers, sanitation workers, et cetera) have survived for many centuries, often without anyone who would be considered "white collar".

There may not have been white collars as we know them in society as it was centuries ago, but there always has been an overclass.

If all the current white collars/investors disappeared for some reason, they would eventually be replaced by blue collars learning how to invest/run businesses and
the situation would be the same as before. (I used to be a blue collar worker doing s*** jobs to make money, and while I'm not a white collar yet I'm somewhere inbetween. Point is, I'm making the transition.) There has always been an upper class and a working class, and nothing is going to change that, ever. Communism tries to create a classless society, but all it ever accomplishes is that it makes everyone equally poor.

Besides, if all the white collars went away, who is going to keep the blue collars employed, and who is going to provide them with housing? Eventually a new batch of white collars would be created out of necessity.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What's the difference between a millionaire who gives out free bad advice on the Internet and a guy who sits on a computer in his mom's basement pretending to be a millionaire who gives out free bad advice on the Internet? On the Internet, there is no difference.
There's a huge difference between someone who knows their sh!t and someone who doesn't and it would be READILY APPARENT to anyone ELSE who knows their sh!t.

You don't see it because you only know money from the ground level and you will never get past the ground level because instead of putting aside your "infinite financial wisdom" that has been so graciously bestowed upon you by your middle class family and your middle class teachers you would rather THINK you have the answers and be poor than to admit you are wrong and actually make something out of your situation. That's the definition of STUBBORN and IGNORANT.

I bet my former coworkers might even be able to get you a job working with them at Circuit City if you ask nicely.
Kind of funny you should mention getting me a job at Circuit City, because I am in the process of selling my retail electronics business. Not that you would ever believe me, but the sale price is probably more that you will make over the next five or ten years.

For whatever reason you continue to tell me how everything I talk about is WRONG, but I can't remember even ONE TIME where you have given ANY constructive advice on how it SHOULD be done. Step up to the plate, big boy. What do YOU think is the key to financial success? Hard work and luck? Lets hear it.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
its not a get rich scheme, however it is a perfect example of how to buy your own home without the big prices.
You managed to find a program that would allow you to buy your own residence without a down payment, yet you reject the viability of using alternative sources for a down payment? That makes no sense.

You bought your house this way, good for you. But you do realize that a principal residence is more of a savings account than an investment (because YOU are the one paying for it as opposed to a tenant) and these first time home buyer programs can only fly one time. they aren't going to let you buy investments with programs like this.

So why not expand your knowledge of real estate a little bit and learn how to use it to supplement your income and create a nice retirement? It's the best business in the world. You can run it in your spare time, no inventory, no employees, you can't beat it.

If you want to make the most of it you would have to be open minded enough to learn some things that you obviously have issues with at the present, but it doesn't take much to grasp the basics. You wouldn't be defrauding or cheating anyone and TRUST ME the huge risks that you talk about are less of an issue than you imagine and can be seriously negated with some common sense and education combined with experience.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You don't see it because you only know money from the ground level and you will never get past the ground level because instead of putting aside your "infinite financial wisdom" that has been so graciously bestowed upon you by your middle class family and your middle class teachers you would rather THINK you have the answers and be poor than to admit you are wrong and actually make something out of your situation.
Quite frankly, you know f*ck-all about my "situation" or my finances. For all you know, I could be a panhandler on the street or Bill F*cking Gates. Believe it or not, it's possible for someone to be well-off financially and still think you have sh*t for brains.

I don't know how long you've been saying that you've been buying real estate with your credit cards, but it may or may not surprise you to learn that I personally purchased my first apartment complex in Southern Michigan about six years ago. So my knowledge about how full of sh*t you are comes from my experiences as well.

But this has never been about how full of sh*t you are, because I leave that for the others to figure out on their own. My issue with you is and has been the way you act as though wealthy people are somehow better than others... even with seemingly innocuous terms like "highest level producers", which is still bullsh*t anyway.

Furthermore, the only other times I have ever seen that attitude has been with guys who aren't quite secure in their "fabulous wealth". Of course, most of those guys don't run around Internet websites bragging all about their fabulous wealth, either.

Kind of funny you should mention getting me a job at Circuit City, because I am in the process of selling my retail electronics business. Not that you would ever believe me, but the sale price is probably more that you will make over the next five or ten years.
Gee, I bet you could use that magical crystal ball that tells you how much money someone will make over five or ten years, and make WAY more money than you're making with buying real estate with credit cards.

For whatever reason you continue to tell me how everything I talk about is WRONG, but I can't remember even ONE TIME where you have given ANY constructive advice on how it SHOULD be done. Step up to the plate, big boy. What do YOU think is the key to financial success? Hard work and luck? Lets hear it.
The key to financial success is either buying real estate with credit cards, or using a magical crystal ball to tell people how much they will make in the next five to ten years. I haven't decided yet... let me get back to you on that.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i bet his real name is ty, and he also sells time share property in florida .

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The key to financial success is either buying real estate with credit cards, or using a magical crystal ball to tell people how much they will make in the next five to ten years. I haven't decided yet... let me get back to you on that. [/B]
Great response, as usual.

Please feel free to quit posting in these threads until you bring something constructive and worthwhile to the discussion.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great response, as usual.

Please feel free to quit posting in these threads until you bring something constructive and worthwhile to the discussion.
Classic. You can't defend your own load of sh*t, so you want me to quit posting. Fine by me, STR8UP... I can do without you a lot easier than, say, a garbageman.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Classic. You can't defend your own load of sh*t, so you want me to quit posting. Fine by me, STR8UP... I can do without you a lot easier than, say, a garbageman.
Actually, I asked YOU to tell us how it's supposed to be done, since you seem to be an authority on the subject. Instead you come back with nothing more than a smart assed comment which does nothing but prove my point that you add nothing of value to this discussion. I have no problem with comflicting points of view, but what is the point of simply telling me that I am full of sh!t without being able to tell everyone here the RIGHT way to do it? If you don't have the right answers you aren't qualified to determine what are the wrong ones.

You seem to think you are calling me out or something. What exactly can I do to prove to you that I am who I say I am and I have done what I say I did?

Celadus

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
STR8UP,

I'm glad you reappeared. I need someone like you to answer a few questions for me.

I am 21 and I am itching to get started. What are some good sources for nuts and bolts real estate investing? I am tired of reading motivational books. I am ready to get started. I graduate in May but I think somehow there is a way I could start now.

Could you please explain how your millionare friend was able to up his credit limit to $100,000? I have a credit rating of about 740 but I only make about $40 dollars a week. My credit limit is $1,400 with a student credit card. What is a good source to figure out how to up my credit? Unlike the other 20 year old, I don't have $100,000 to help me negioate with the card company. I have almost no savings from college expenses.

Starting out with no cash is pretty difficult. I have the right mindset and a lot of the skills necessary but no one will take a 21 year old seriously. I am applying for a job in Iraq as a finance person. After a year I'd have a savings of about $150,000 and I think things would be definitely easier.

Celadus

stevera004

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a lot of geniuses here who lucked out into buying real estate prior to the US boom in residential real-estate ... they remind me of the geniuses who loaded up on internet stocks in 1999.

Good luck to all, and it's only money.

SELF-MASTERY

Banned
Reaction score
Threads like this never provide any meat.

I would rather operate a service type business. I've helped rehab homes to sale for profit, and it isn't fun. Also, it appears that the late night infomercials have saturated the RE market with would be investors. Everywhere I go I meet ppl who want to invest in real estate. I would rather work my little niche market, that gives me a chance to play boss, and at the same time ****e the man over.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Celadus
I am 21 and I am itching to get started. What are some good sources for nuts and bolts real estate investing? I am tired of reading motivational books. I am ready to get started. I graduate in May but I think somehow there is a way I could start now.
I can understand your desire to get the ball rolling but there is no simple answer to your question. It depends on your experiences, personality, resources, time available, financial situation, interests, I could go on all day. You need to be buying assets. You already know that. What assets you buy and how you go about it is dependent upon the factors I listed above and a multitude of other things.

I wrote a financial books thread a few days ago. Check it out for some recommendations on books that might help you get started with limited resources.

Could you please explain how your millionare friend was able to up his credit limit to $100,000?
He had an existing account and called them up to get the limit increased. The only way he was able to secure such a high limit was by providing the bank with tax returns showing massive income.

Don't let the fact that your income is low discourage you though. Banks can be extremely strange when issuing credit.

A couple of days ago I called one of my cards to get an increase in my limit. They turned down my request because they said that my "exposure" level was already over the allowable limit for my income level. The funny thing is (you're gonna love this) is that the same comany had sent me a convenience check offer about a month before that would have automatically increased my limit by nearly double if I had written one of the convenience checks up to the new allowable limit. Basically they were saying that I they were already taking on too much risk by my limit being so high, but they were willing to DOUBLE my limit if I would have borrowed up to that limit before their offer expired. It makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER, but that's the kind of thing you will find when dealing with banks.

I have a credit rating of about 740 but I only make about $40 dollars a week. My credit limit is $1,400 with a student credit card. What is a good source to figure out how to up my credit? Unlike the other 20 year old, I don't have $100,000 to help me negioate with the card company. I have almost no savings from college expenses.
Your credit score is PHENOMINAL. It's higher than mine at the moment. PROTECT IT WITH YOUR LIFE. Your credit is the key to wealth.

In my books thread I recommended the book From Credit Repair to Credit Millionaire by Donna Fox. Buy it and study it from cover to cover. It will open your eyes about how to build and maintain your credit rating.

Starting out with no cash is pretty difficult. I have the right mindset and a lot of the skills necessary but no one will take a 21 year old seriously. I am applying for a job in Iraq as a finance person. After a year I'd have a savings of about $150,000 and I think things would be definitely easier.

Celadus
I feel your pain. I was pretty young when I got started so I didn't have the benefits an older person would have had myself. Now that I am getting to my mid 30's the fact that I started early has proved to be invaluable since I have reached an age where people are willing to take me seriously and on top of that the fact that I have my own asset base and cash and credit to draw from it makes the whole thing build upon itself exponentially.

And yes, having $150k sitting in a bank account would give you an excellent start.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by SELF-MASTERY
I would rather operate a service type business. I've helped rehab homes to sale for profit, and it isn't fun.
If you are doing rehabs and you are the one swinging the hammer of course it isn't fun. You make the money sigining your name on the contracts, not by trying to perform all of the manual labor yourself.

I just bought a brand new townhouse for a personal residence. Picked up the keys today. While I was there I was talking to the guys who are doing the construction. We were up on the roof having a conversation about how nice the townhouse is and how good the location is and all. I'm sure those guys are making decent cash for their skilled labor, but how much can they make for a month of full time labor? Maybe $4-5k tops?

I bought the place for $540k, they are now selling for $580k (a couple of months later), and if I weren't tied up in other investments I would have bought one when they first came up for sale for $400k. You can't even compare the potential of the investor to the potential of the guy who is doing the physical labor.

When you invest in real estate you need to concentrate on exactly that- INVESTING. Leave the repairs to other people. If you have to be the one painting and cleaning and such to make a profit then you need to be revising your investment strategy.

Also, it appears that the late night infomercials have saturated the RE market with would be investors. Everywhere I go I meet ppl who want to invest in real estate.
No, it's the fact that real estate has appreciated tremendously over the last few years has brought all of the wannabe's out of the woodwork. Lots of these lemmings are going to catch the top of the market and lose a few bucks when things cool down.

I would rather work my little niche market, that gives me a chance to play boss, and at the same time ****e the man over.
You got that business itch. Business is a b!tch. If you want to use it as a vehicle to create wealth you better be prepared to follow through and build it, otherwise you're gonna get stuck in the self employment rut like most of the others. Problem is you never know what works for you until you try it. Good luck.

GQ_Confidence_1

Don Juan
Reaction score
IMO, one of the biggest problems people face when trying to build wealth is that they get stuck trying to do what everyone else is doing.

I see this all the time on the internet (not necessarily a bad thing). But the choices are usually.....real estate, small business, ebay, MLM, stocks or some kind of trading. Usually there is a guru leading the way.

Kiyosaki, Russ Whitney, Carleton Sheets, Tony Robbins, etc.
You can make money in those. No question. But there's a million other possibilities. I've been down the self help/guru road. I don't think you see all the possibilities there.

You could buy/partner with businesses that don't know how to market, you could build a customer list and rent it, you could use a picks and shovel strategy to sell ancillary products, you could get into unglamorous businesses, you could build a business and leverage your key assets (distribution), you could catch trends, you could get into copyrights or patents, get into break even marketing , there's a million possibilities.....

In my experience at least...your mind gets boxed in listening to these gurus and experts. Guys like Kiysaki can be a good start...but there's so much more out there.

Leverage is the most important word though. You can't become a millionaire at 20 trading time for an hourly wage. Every millionaire has used leverage in some form.

Mack Of All Trades

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Str8up

HI Str8,

Id love to talk to you privately. Can you please clean out your PM box?

Thanks.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah star8up, clean out your box, I tried to mail you 2 days ago...

Let me add some random points....

* Amway...

No I don't do Amway, but my mom did... Every day she picked me up from my Grandmom's house after schools he had thoose damn motavational tapes in the car... she dragged me to not one, not two, but eVERY LAST DAMN SEMINAR THEY HAD (did get to go to Disneyworld and SeaWorld however)... by the age of 13 I knew everything there was to know about Amway...

The thing about Amway, is that it's an emphany of the American Socieity... NO doubt whatsoever that it works, because it does.... I have seen it first hands, numorous people... My mom was making SOME money off of it until she decided to start her own company... I think she still even gets some residial income from it, not too sure...

However, 99.0 percent of all people who do amway, don't have the nerve or the patinence or the will power to follow it though... It's not a get rich quick scheme by any means.

Ironically enough, when I was struggling with my company and thinking about throwing in the towel, it was thoose same damn motivaional tapes that wouldn't let me quit..

"IT'S NOT OVER UNTIL I WIN!!"

IN my opinion, and this is just my personal opinion, I'm not a real estate agent, although I did use some of my PERSONAL MONEY TO BUY SOME REAL ESTATE ONCE I SOLD MY COMPANY... Buying a House on credit and reselling it is probably the stupiest thing you could do..

Doens't make much sense whatsoever...

Unless you can get an unreal Low Interest Rate on your loan..

Remember... Housing Interest Rate loans are Compunded interest... a $100,000 loan paid off in 30 years is really a wopping $270,000... So why not just pay the $100,000?

More than that, because ovbiusly you play to sell it, tHE POINT Is to buy the house... Buy doing the credit route, the house isn't yours, , espically using a credit card.. That's a bank Asset.. YOur Debt=Equity Ratio Plummets and you have nothing to show for it

When I was runnign my compay we had a couple basic, but very easy to loose conecpt of rules...

1) As little debt as possible

2) as little overhead as possible while mataining a satisfactory product

3)Try to use banks as little as possible (I don't like banks, never did)

4)Use Credit only when necessary

Thoose points saved us alot of headachs down the line, , and when I decided to sell my share of the company, the group that bought it were amazed at how little debt we owed... If I am not mistaken, all we owed at the time of me resigning were the mortage on our lease and 1 months worth of inventory that we had preordered.

Because I wanted some month to month income, I bought two houses, ironically enough two houses I at one point in time grew up in, refurbished one, because the prvious owners ****ed it up, and I rent out both for about $1800 a month combined..

Now, that's not alot of money, but I OWN both houses... If I ever get in a jam and need a large amount of cash, i can just sell the house, and the houes are going to apprciate in value as time goes on.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh, and to be totally honest, it was closer to $850 that me and my business partner saved up than $100

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by backbreaker
yeah star8up, clean out your box, I tried to mail you 2 days ago...
Box is clean, sorry guys.

IN my opinion, and this is just my personal opinion, I'm not a real estate agent, although I did use some of my PERSONAL MONEY TO BUY SOME REAL ESTATE ONCE I SOLD MY COMPANY... Buying a House on credit and reselling it is probably the stupiest thing you could do..
I have the utmost respect for you because I can clearly see that you know your sh!t. I'm as leery about someone's claims as the next person but the stuff you write about can't be made up by just anyone.

That said, your opinion that buying a house on credit is stupid is way off base and I'll tell you why.

You seem to have done very well for yourself and I'm not taking anything away from what you have done, but you have to put it into perspective. You built a company that became worth a lot of money because (and I don't know the specifics here) it either generated a lot of profit, or someone saw the potential for it to generate a lot of profit and they paid you handsomely for it.

For most people the world of business isn't so simple as it looks on the surface as with your situation. Fact of the matter is that very few people have what it takes to do what you did. I think that you were in a situation that it would be difficult for most people to replicate. Being a good businessman is a VERY specialized talent that can be learned to an extent, but the best of the best have more of a natural talent for it.

So here's my take from my limited info I know about you:

1) You are naturally talented with business

2) Because you are talented you won your first race right out of the starting gate and as such you missed many of the intricacies of business (when it comes to the asset value of it) and the challenges most people with less talent are faced with

3) You aren't fully aware of some of the underlying fundamentals that create wealth, since you have only seen it from the perspective of being a talented businessperson

Basically what I am saying is that what worked for you might not work quite so well for most other people. That would include myself because although I believe I have a natural talent for money in general, business doesn't come so easily for me.

Now, assuming that I am at least somewhat correct here, I think you are good at building a valuable business that not everyone is capable of. This has caused you to miss out on becoming educated as to how leverage (debt) is absolutely the most powerful tool for building wealth, hands down. This is where the credit issue comes into play.

For the average Joe who doesn't have your level of business savvy the best way to create wealth is to learn how to borrow tons of money and use it effectively. For someone in your shoes it can turn you from a millionaire into a BILLIONAIRE, if that's the direction you wish to go.

Building businesses = great for someone who has a knack for it

Learning to buy assets with leverage = great for someone who isn't great with business

Learning how to use leverage AND business together = the key to unimaginable wealth

So I believe you are missing a big piece of the puzzle. There, I said it.

I'm sure you grew up just like the rest of us having been taught that debt is BAD, end of story. It took me years to realize that all debt is not created equal and to truly discover how powerful of a tool it is for building wealth. Even today I catch my old conditioning trying to influence my decisions. It's VERY, VERY difficult to train yourself to think otherwise when pretty much everyone around you is telling you the opposite.

To further illustrate my point let me answer a few of the points you made in your post-

Doens't make much sense whatsoever...

Unless you can get an unreal Low Interest Rate on your loan..

Remember... Housing Interest Rate loans are Compunded interest... a $100,000 loan paid off in 30 years is really a wopping $270,000... So why not just pay the $100,000?
Okay, this is where it gets good. Before I go into it, let me ask you something. What exactly IS an unreal low interest rate? 2%? .5%?

ANY interest rate is low if you MAKE more than you pay out.

If I let you borrow $10 today with the understanding that you would pay me back $20 next month, you might tell me to get lost because that would equate to you paying me HUNDREDS of percent in interest. You would be absolutely justified in telling me to get lost if you were to use that money to buy clothes or food or anything else that has no value (even if you were to put it in the bank earning a small amount of interest) but.....BUT....what if instead you took that money and bought a rare coin from person A for $10 then turned around and sold it to person B two weeks later for $30. You could pay ME the $10 principal and the $10 interest, and YOU keep the difference. Ten bucks in your pocket for knowing that interest is only a cost of doing business.

It works the same with buying assets such as real estate, only on a larger scale. Of course you wouldn't likely be paying such high interest rates, BUT EVEN IF YOU DID IT'S FINE AS LONG AS YOU MAKE MORE THAN YOU SPEND, I CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH! You have to get that "debt is evil" mentality out of your head.

You said, "why not just pay the $100,000?"

Now HOW MANY people do you know that have an extra $10,000 laying around LET ALONE $100,000? You are taking for granted that others have the same resources you do. Even if we DID, the way to make money grow is through leverage, not by paying cash for assets.

Put it this way. There are times when I sell a property and I might have an extra $100k sitting in the bank. I could easily say, "I want zero risk, I will pay cash for ONE property". Instead I know that risk isn't as dangerous as it's made out to be if you have experience, so I say to myself, "I want to make this money grow, what is the best way to go about it?" Then I take the $100k and buy FIVE or more properties with it instead of one.

Let me clarify something. Right now I am using the cash from the sale of my old properties to speculate (yes, I said speculate, not invest) in a condo market which through research I have made a reasonable guess that this market will do well over the next few years...better than outlying areas. This is a unique opportunity for me and I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it without enough backing, the proper connections, and lots of experience.

As soon as the market that I am in cools down though, I am going to sell these properties and invest (this time I will be investing) in commercial peoperties that provide me with a passive cash flow that I should be able to use to live comfortably for the rest of my life. I will be buying based upon getting the best rate of return possible on the money I have to put down to acquire each property.

When all is said and done and I sell these units there should be between $1million - $2million dollars left over to buy commercial property. I could easily use this money to pay cash for one property, but instead I want to make it grow. In order to do that I will take my time searching for SEVERAL prime properties that give me a good return on the amount of money I have to use for a down payment in each one.

If I only bought ONE property the value of the money I have invested might double in ten or so years, but since I am investing in multiple properties it will likely increase by 4 or 5 times. Make sense?

Keep in mind here that there are many different strategies for investing in real estate and business. You can buy and hold, letting the tenant pay your bills, you can buy and flip, you can do all kinds of stuff by CONTROLLING the property instead of actually owning it (options, etc.). I don't know why SOME people on here are stuck on the fact that I mentioned that ONE of the methods I used over the years was to buy property with credit cards, but the fact of the matter is that the two I did buy that way I just sold for a LOT more than I paid for them. I could have thrown my hands up and said "I can't get financed so I can't buy these properties" and I wouldn't be where I am at today, that's for sure.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
More than that, because ovbiusly you play to sell it, tHE POINT Is to buy the house... Buy doing the credit route, the house isn't yours, , espically using a credit card.. That's a bank Asset.. YOur Debt=Equity Ratio Plummets and you have nothing to show for it
First of all, the house is MORE yours if you use credit cards to buy it. Without a lien on the title it is sometimes easier to get refinanced than if you are simply purchasing it when the numbers work correctly.

And no, the point is not necessarily to BUY the house, but to CONTROL it. I don't care if I own it, Billy Bob owns it, or if the bank holds the title as a security interest, all that matters is that I make a PROFIT from it.

The way you are looking at everything now is based upon "not losing" money rather than "how can I MAKE it". And the point if the house not actually being YOURS is moot. It's NEVER going to be yours anyway because the second you fail to pay your property taxes it will belong to Uncle Sam. YOU NEVER OWN REAL ESTATE. Psychologically you think you do, but you don't and it doesn't matter anyway.

And I'm not following you about the debt=equity ratio. All I care about is that in one year my net worth is greater than today, and in five years it is more yet. Your balance sheet lists your assets on one side, your liabilities on the other. Over time your assets should INCREASE in value. So even if your liabilities column remains unchanged as long as your assets outpace them you are increasing your net worth.

By taking on liabilities that are paid by other people (tenants) you are the one benefitting from the appreciation without the expense of the payment. Even if you buy something to sell immediately for a profit, you should have bought it cheap enough that the profit pays the remodel, INTEREST, etc. Again, not everyone has the luxury of being able to pay cash and most of those who DO will still choose to borrow to maximize their returns.

When I was runnign my compay we had a couple basic, but very easy to loose conecpt of rules...

1) As little debt as possible

2) as little overhead as possible while mataining a satisfactory product

3)Try to use banks as little as possible (I don't like banks, never did)

4)Use Credit only when necessary

Thoose points saved us alot of headachs down the line, , and when I decided to sell my share of the company, the group that bought it were amazed at how little debt we owed... If I am not mistaken, all we owed at the time of me resigning were the mortage on our lease and 1 months worth of inventory that we had preordered.
The thing is, what if you wanted to expand your company? I don't know in your particualr business what would be involved with that but with most businesses if you want to open another location or expand your operations you are usually better off borrowing what you need to grow. Again, as long as you are making more than it is costing you you come out ahead.

To automatically say that all debt should be avoided closes off your opportunites. It lowers your risk, of course. But usually if you aren't incurring some risk you aren't growing.

Because I wanted some month to month income, I bought two houses, ironically enough two houses I at one point in time grew up in, refurbished one, because the prvious owners ****ed it up, and I rent out both for about $1800 a month combined..
You bought these two houses for income, no problem. But what if instead of having paid cash for two you financed four or six? Of course your income would not be $1,800 (which was the point of you doing it, I understand that) but how much has property gone up in value in that area since you bought the two houses? Even if it hasn't been spectacular like it has been here, I can guess with 99% certainty that your return on investment would be at least double what you have gotten from it at this point.

You bought for cashflow, but aside from that you sacrificed a higher return on your investment for the "security" of owning something free and clear. Rapid growth or security, take your pick cause you can't have both. In your case you might not need rapid growth, but for others who have little to start with they don't have that luxury and need to incur a little more "risk" to build things up before they are too old to enjoy it.

To sum it up, you are in a unique situation. Not everyone can buy property cash. And even though you CAN buy it for cash you aren't getting close to the return on your investment than you would by leveraging that money and buying more. You are good at the game of business, but I can see that you could benefit from a little more knowledge in the game of money. Combined with your business talent, if you took a little time to be able to grasp the concept of leverage you would be unstoppable. It's just a good thing for you that you are good enough at business to not NEED to grasp this sort of knowledge.

Anyway, if you want me to clarify anything just ask.