Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

looking for guidance...

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sup everyone!

Alright so I used to lift a few years back but didn't take it seriously. Now I signed up with a gym along with my brother in law and nepthew about 3 weeks ago and decided nows the time to take this serious.

So let me tell you about myself.. I'm 5'8 and weigh 158 or 160 lbs. (I dont trust scales that much) I think im between 17% BF and 22% or so.. heres a pic of what I look like at the moment

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/XSinaiBeachX/P1220004.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/XSinaiBeachX/P1210068.jpg

I play baseball on sundays in my adult baseball league and when I work (i'm currently laid off) i work in construction.. scaffolding to be more specific.

My goal is to reach 180 lbs by August and have like.. 13 to 15 % BF. Currently I'm going to the gym monday thru friday with my brother in law and nepthew.

Monday we do shoulders and traps
Tuesday we do our back muscle group..
Wednesday we do biceps and triceps and forearms..
Thursday we do our pecs
and Fridays we do our legs

We work out our ab muscles and obliques everyday on the ab machies and oblique machine. according to my brother in law its okay to train those muscles everyday (is this true?). He used to be a pretty stalky guy.. until he married my sister and than stopped working out and lost his gains.. but thats why hes getting back into it.

Rest days are saturday and sunday.

What i need help with.. is that I am REALLY confused right now about what my diet should consist of.... Curently here are my meals for an average day.

meal one:
bowl of cereal, peanut butter sandwhich

meal 2: 4 whole eggs omellete with ham, 2 slices of american cheese, tomatoes and onions. 2 flour tortillas and a cup of orange juice.

meal 3: szechawn veg. and white chicken and a peanut butter sandwhich plus a protein shake w/ low fat milk

meal 4: depends on what my mom made to eat.. usually steak or chicken with refried beans and mixed veggies.

meal 5: protein shake w/ low fat milk plus cup of tuna

meal 6 (after work out, usually around 8:00 pm til 8:45 pm): protein shake w/ low fat milk plus peanut butter sandwhich

I added up everything from what I ate yesterday and it came out to be over 3500 calories, 145g of fat, 332g of carbs, and about 214g of protein or somewhere close around there.. Basicly thats what I try to aim for everyday more or less.

But I'd like some other suggestions for my diet cause I have a feeling something is wrong with it for some reason. I recently been adding baked potatos here and there and I try to eat grapes and strawberries and honeydew melons whenever i can.

Supplements i've been taking as of now are ON 100% whey, GN SizeOn and Mega men sport multi-vitamins. Im planning to add Superpump 250 and MT mass-tech by monday. I was also thinking of adding some liquid amino..

I'm blessed for having a brother-in-law whose brother owns a supplement website... we get our sh!t for real cheap! I got my tub of size on for 26 bucks and my jug of whey for 10. im also gonna get a great bargin on 10 lbs bag of mass-tech (26 bucks) and superpump 250 for 25 as well.. yea im bragging. lol :D

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, just to clarify.. everyone here who eats like horses.. do you feel extremely bloated through out the whole day?

i feel like a pregnant woman walking around!

Phat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
"Monday we do shoulders and traps
Thursday we do our pecs
and Fridays we do our legs"

What kinda muscle do you plan on building with that kind of work out rutine?

You wont see gains with that kind of work out rutine even with steroids.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Keep it simple...

Every meal you eat make sure it has carbs protein and fat.

make sure you get your fat from fish oil and from the food itself.

Make sure your carbs are from natural sources like beans/rice/oatmeal...etc..

Make sure your protein comes from animal sources...chicken/fish/eggs

You dont need to eat red meat...and as of right now, starting in your thread Im telling you and everyone else DO NOT DRINK MILK, instead substitute it with Almond milk and whey protein.

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Phat said:
"Monday we do shoulders and traps
Thursday we do our pecs
and Fridays we do our legs"

What kinda muscle do you plan on building with that kind of work out rutine?

You wont see gains with that kind of work out rutine even with steroids.
What do you suggest? or anyone for that matter.

Drum&Bass - I'll look into the almond milk. Sounds like something I might find at fresh and easy.. or do mainly any grocery stores carry it?

Phat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Do all the exercises you do in 5 days into one day. You gotta pump your whole body to gain muscle. And honestly your diet contains to many calories and protien for your current light work out rutine. Your basically wasting all that protien because your not working hard enough to convert the protien to muscle. So just do all your upper body exercises everyday instead of spreading it out five days. You should gain the 20 pounds of muscle in 2-3 months with your high protien diet and supplements but remember you gotta do all your upper body exercises everday to convert the protien or else the protien will just go to waste and you will feel bloated during the day because you got all that extra unburned food sitting in your stomach.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
Sup everyone!

Alright so I used to lift a few years back but didn't take it seriously. Now I signed up with a gym along with my brother in law and nepthew about 3 weeks ago and decided nows the time to take this serious.

So let me tell you about myself.. I'm 5'8 and weigh 158 or 160 lbs. (I dont trust scales that much) I think im between 17% BF and 22% or so.. heres a pic of what I look like at the moment
You latino or something? Hablas espanol guey?

No way in hell are you that high in BF. I'd say at least 12% BF TOPS! So say you weight 160 lbs at 12%bf. That means you have around 140 lbs of lean body mass. Take this X16 and thats how many calories it takes to maintain your weight, all estimations of course. Which is 2200. So if you want to gain muscle at the minimum you should eat 3000 cals.

Yet I would probably eat around 3200, cause with your age/body type you can probably get away with eating a good amount of calories. Then if you're not gaining add another 200 cals a week. This amount though will probably need to be bumped up especially once you start working back in construction (it's real calorie taxing that kind of work, I've done it before)

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
I play baseball on sundays in my adult baseball league and when I work (i'm currently laid off) i work in construction.. scaffolding to be more specific.

My goal is to reach 180 lbs by August and have like.. 13 to 15 % BF. Currently I'm going to the gym monday thru friday with my brother in law and nepthew.

Monday we do shoulders and traps
Thursday we do our pecs
and Fridays we do our legs
What kind of exercises you guys doing? Reps/sets and are you guys ramping up weights? (like 50X10, 70X10, 80X10 fail) If you need help on form check out videos here to learn properly. http://www.youtube.com/user/bskola

and here http://www.youtube.com/user/thewarrior1

Why are you doing triceps before chest day? Triceps help a lot in pressing movements and fatiguing them a day before chest will effect any pressing movements.

Something like this is better designed

CHEST/TRIS/BIS
LEGS
OFF
SHOULDERS/BACK
OFF
REPEAT

or

Monday shoulders
Tuesday traps/back/bis/forearms
Wednesday off
Thursday Chest/tris
and Fridays legs

chest/shoulders/tris
legs
off
back/bis/forearms
off
repeat

or what I'm doing right now

chest/tris
bis/forearms/legs
off
shoulders/back/
off
repeat

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
We work out our ab muscles and obliques everyday on the ab machies and oblique machine. according to my brother in law its okay to train those muscles everyday (is this true?). He used to be a pretty stalky guy.. until he married my sister and than stopped working out and lost his gains.. but thats why hes getting back into it.
No I would only workout abs after your back and leg workouts. Him em hard heavy 1-2 times a week that's all you need. Hanging leg raises, roman chair ab work, ab pulldowns, woodchucks, dragon flags ( incredibly hard hahaa) ab wheel roll outs

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
Rest days are saturday and sunday.

What i need help with.. is that I am REALLY confused right now about what my diet should consist of.... Curently here are my meals for an average day.

meal one:
bowl of cereal, peanut butter sandwhich
Do a bowl of oatmeal instead+two scoops of protein. Throw some blue berries/strawberries in there for more added goodness. Then have a tbsp or two of natural peanut butter. or handful of raw almonds.

Or I also usually have 6 whole eggs, oatmeal/wheat toast(most breads suck tho), turkey bacon

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
meal 2: 4 whole eggs omellete with ham, 2 slices of american cheese, tomatoes and onions. 2 flour tortillas and a cup of orange juice.
This isn't bad ...make it 6 eggs though:)

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
meal 3: szechawn veg. and white chicken and a peanut butter sandwhich plus a protein shake w/ low fat milk
Isn't bad but watch the milk....to many people do more harm then good. Lactose intolerance/bloating and get to much fat gained. I'd switch out the sandwhich for say sweet potato/brown rice or wild rice.

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
meal 4: depends on what my mom made to eat.. usually steak or chicken with refried beans and mixed veggies.
That's good.

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
meal 5: protein shake w/ low fat milk plus cup of tuna
Look into olive oil I buy the light tasting stuff and it's real good for you and it helps add some quick good fats/calories. Great for before bed or lunch time drizzled on veggies/meat. People say I have real nice set of hair I think it's from all the olive oil/protein I take in every day LOL

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
meal 6 (after work out, usually around 8:00 pm til 8:45 pm): protein shake w/ low fat milk plus peanut butter sandwhich
Ditch the sandwhich and do something like either tuna/chicken with a good amount of white rice. You want simple carbs here/high GI.

If you're looking into buy useful supplements. Keep an eye out for waxy maize (what I'm using right now) or maltodextrin/dextrose. These are great to load up the carbs/ muscles around workouts. You can literally see your muscles swell up after taking the stuff (especially with the waxy maize) and if you take it with whey protein/amino acids they rush all the nutrients straight to them.

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
I added up everything from what I ate yesterday and it came out to be over 3500 calories, 145g of fat, 332g of carbs, and about 214g of protein or somewhere close around there.. Basicly thats what I try to aim for everyday more or less.
If you don't gain from this I'd suggest dropping the fat some and upping the carbs and protein. (especially on training days). Some more fibrous stuff wouldn't hurt like I mentioned sweet potates/oatmeal and stuff are great.

You can make even mass shakes. Take a blender 1-2 scoops whey protein 2 tblsp of natural peanut butter or 2 tblsp of olive oil. 2 cups of oatmeal+ice. If morning add some fruit. If it's before bed you could do some cottage cheese also.

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
But I'd like some other suggestions for my diet cause I have a feeling something is wrong with it for some reason. I recently been adding baked potatos here and there and I try to eat grapes and strawberries and honeydew melons whenever i can.

Just try to keep most of the fruit to the morning. Potatoes are fine. I think you can get away with eating more carbs. So load them up bro.

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_onl...uilding/the_bodybuilding_bible_free_of_charge

Read through that...goes over training and foods you should be eating. Yet if you eat some **** and every time you eat it you feel like crap most likely you're allergic. If or when you get health insurance it's a great idea to get your allergies/intolerances to food checked out. Some people are allergic to foods and unknowingly eat them all the time!!!

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
Supplements i've been taking as of now are ON 100% whey, GN SizeOn and Mega men sport multi-vitamins. Im planning to add Superpump 250 and MT mass-tech by monday. I was also thinking of adding some liquid amino..
Forget the super pump (me and my friends call it super ****s)....maybe just buy some caffeine pills instead, creatine mono hydrate (don't get that other ****) fish oil (carlson's is a good brand). Maybe some green tea extract pills. (or just drink lots of green tea during the day)

Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
I'm blessed for having a brother-in-law whose brother owns a supplement website... we get our sh!t for real cheap! I got my tub of size on for 26 bucks and my jug of whey for 10. im also gonna get a great bargin on 10 lbs bag of mass-tech (26 bucks) and superpump 250 for 25 as well.. yea im bragging. lol :D
Optimum nutrition stuff is quality. So if you can keep buying their stuff do so. Dymatize isn't bad either. A lot of times with these other guys you pay more for the name then the product. If the company manufactures the stuff itself it's usually cheaper.

Universal animal products/MAN have great products I think.

Phat said:
Do all the exercises you do in 5 days into one day. You gotta pump your whole body to gain muscle. And honestly your diet contains to many calories and protien for your current light work out rutine. Your basically wasting all that protien because your not working hard enough to convert the protien to muscle. So just do all your upper body exercises everyday instead of spreading it out five days. You should gain the 20 pounds of muscle in 2-3 months with your high protien diet and supplements but remember you gotta do all your upper body exercises everday to convert the protien or else the protien will just go to waste and you will feel bloated during the day because you got all that extra unburned food sitting in your stomach.
wtf are you rambling about? you made no sense at all :nono:

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
starting in your thread Im telling you and everyone else DO NOT DRINK MILK, instead substitute it with Almond milk and whey protein.

What is with all the nazis around here? Who is milk killing this time?

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Phat said:
I don't mean to nitpick, but I'm a sucker for those who give bad advice.

I don't know where you've heard that 'working you whole upper body' in one day is the preferred method to build muscle. On the contrary, splits work VERY well if you do them right. It'd be different if you're talking about full body work outs like Chad Waterbury, but I don't think you are.

And gaining 20lbs of pure muscle in 2-3 months? Yeah. Okay. This happens with AAS and MAYBE if you're hitting the gym extremely hard and eating a TON. Even guys who take AAS for 8 weeks gain 20 - 25lbs at most; some of that which is water weight also. It's possible to gain 20 - 25 lbs in 2 months, but it'd be hard to believe that it's entirely all muscle.

Yes, you shouldn't be taking in massive amounts of protein unless you are breaking down muscle fibers frequently. But this can be achieved just as well by doing splits throughout the week. If you're working out your FULL upperbody in one workout, then you're going to need rest for AT LEAST 1 - 3 days.

The only glaring problem I see in the split the OP posted was that he dedicates a whole workout to Bis/Tris. This is newbie sh!t. Bis and Tris don't deserve their own day; they should be worked with other large muscle groups (back/shoulders/chest/legs).

And lastly, NEVER neglect the lower body.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
WC2 said:
I don't mean to nitpick, but I'm a sucker for those who give bad advice.

I don't know where you've heard that 'working you whole upper body' in one day is the preferred method to build muscle. On the contrary, splits work VERY well if you do them right. It'd be different if you're talking about full body work outs like Chad Waterbury, but I don't think you are.

And gaining 20lbs of pure muscle in 2-3 months? Yeah. Okay. This happens with AAS and MAYBE if you're hitting the gym extremely hard and eating a TON. Even guys who take AAS for 8 weeks gain 20 - 25lbs at most; some of that which is water weight also. It's possible to gain 20 - 25 lbs in 2 months, but it'd be hard to believe that it's entirely all muscle.

Yes, you shouldn't be taking in massive amounts of protein unless you are breaking down muscle fibers frequently. But this can be achieved just as well by doing splits throughout the week. If you're working out your FULL upperbody in one workout, then you're going to need rest for AT LEAST 1 - 3 days.

The only glaring problem I see in the split the OP posted was that he dedicates a whole workout to Bis/Tris. This is newbie sh!t. Bis and Tris don't deserve their own day; they should be worked with other large muscle groups (back/shoulders/chest/legs).

And lastly, NEVER neglect the lower body.
Agree with everything especially the bold part. At his level he shouldn't really focus a great deal on these smaller muscles. All that is secondary to what he should really focus on, legs, shoulders, back, chest.

That's where doing compound exercises, machines and isolation only after you've done the brute work comes into play.

When you're frame is real filled out then you can nit pick a little more.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
What is with all the nazis around here? Who is milk killing this time?
You think Im a NAZI because I've found a better alternative to milk ?

Soy isn't known for killing anyone and its a complete protein, as are TV dinners with beef, so maybe I should just recommend people get their extra calories and protein from those sources as well.

If anyone can find a better, cleaner, more efficient, optimal way of doing things and/or eating healthier/better, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ABOUT IT !!! and I will appreciate the sharing of info that I might not have known about or considered otherwise. Thats usually how people grow and improve.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm doing 1/2 GOMAD right now. Haven't had any problems yet.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
You think Im a NAZI because I've found a better alternative to milk ?
MrRuckus uses a lot of a sarcasm..... pretty sure he doesn't really think your a nazi :)

dj ben2

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
if you get them that cheap go get bcaas and megadose them....(50g a day) for normal people that would cost a fortune but for you it wont. superdosing bcaas has been proven to work you WILL notice the difference

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sup everyone? Havent had the time to reply.

You latino or something? Hablas espanol guey?

No way in hell are you that high in BF. I'd say at least 12% BF TOPS! So say you weight 160 lbs at 12%bf. That means you have around 140 lbs of lean body mass. Take this X16 and thats how many calories it takes to maintain your weight, all estimations of course. Which is 2200. So if you want to gain muscle at the minimum you should eat 3000 cals.

Yet I would probably eat around 3200, cause with your age/body type you can probably get away with eating a good amount of calories. Then if you're not gaining add another 200 cals a week. This amount though will probably need to be bumped up especially once you start working back in construction (it's real calorie taxing that kind of work, I've done it before)
Claro que si hablo espanol. a huveo!

Haha yeah you were right I was nuts with that estimation.. I'm at 12% bodyfat last time I checked. so you were right on! good job :D

So check it out I'm weighing 167 lbs (up from the 158 mark when I weighed myself around january 20th) now and I've made some gains. My arms increased an inch from 13 to 14 and my forearms from 11 to 11.5 . I'm benching and squatting more than I ever have so I mean, I must be doing something right, especially since my current sized shirts are fitting my arms tight now and on my upper body, it feels snug too.

My body is also starting to look more defined.. I'll try to get some progress pics up soon.

thanks for the help guys I'll keep y'all updated with my gains.

Capt.Jack Sparrow

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm weighing 175 now!!! crazy to think I've gained that much since january.
my arms have grown from 13 inches to 14.50 now

So 5 more pounds til im at my mark.. but now I'm actually thinking of going up to 185 or 190 than start cutting up.. heres a pic of myself that was taken today

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/XSinaiBeachX/P2260002.jpg

heres one about 3 weeks back.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/XSinaiBeachX/l_9a206577175a41588e9fda876bc21876.jpg

I noticed that even when I made a small gain it motivated me to keep on goin.
Everyone I know is also telling me i'm getting "buff"/my shoulders look big/and that my arms got huge and assume im taking steroids lol.

its freakin awesome!

EDIT: I accidently put 14.25 on my arm muscle growth instead of 14.50.. last week it was 14.25 and when i measured yesterday it was 14.50.

Last edited:

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good work.

I'd guess you are around 12% bf. Don't get too hung up on that though; it really doesn't mean much. I say keep doing what you are doing and get up to 190 or so, then diet for 4-6 weeks and drop to 180. When you diet, cut carbs down to ~50g a day M-F, then carb up on weekends with 'clean' carbs like brown rice and grains.

CarlitosWay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Capt.Jack Sparrow said:
I'm weighing 175 now!!! crazy to think I've gained that much since january.
my arms have grown from 13 inches to 14.50 now

So 5 more pounds til im at my mark.. but now I'm actually thinking of going up to 185 or 190 than start cutting up.. heres a pic of myself that was taken today

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/XSinaiBeachX/P2260002.jpg

heres one about 3 weeks back.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a142/XSinaiBeachX/l_9a206577175a41588e9fda876bc21876.jpg

I noticed that even when I made a small gain it motivated me to keep on goin.
Everyone I know is also telling me i'm getting "buff"/my shoulders look big/and that my arms got huge and assume im taking steroids lol.

its freakin awesome!

EDIT: I accidently put 14.25 on my arm muscle growth instead of 14.50.. last week it was 14.25 and when i measured yesterday it was 14.50.
Other than more overall size (what I need also) Your upper chest is lagging pretty bad....rotation of Low incline work is in order, plus low to high cable flys, low incline flys, incline machine work, low incline db work (15-20 degree incline)

A lot of people have their tris/shoulders take over on pressing movements keep this in mind. Try building up your mind-to-muscle connection with chest up and really focus on using it when doing any chest work.

**** it man get up to over 200...looks like you can stay pretty lean when bulking. You have so much you can still fill out.