Life update

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm back to basketball practice. I haven't been lifting, so to compensate I'm doing push ups on an irregular basis. My basic rule is whenever I think of it, I go and do push ups. Good ones. My chest touches the floor and I jump my hands off the ground when I come up (im not very good at clapping yet). In fact, I'm going to do some now.

That felt good. I also do bicep curls occasionally and squats with medium weight. Before you get on me, I know its not a very good workout. But its one I can stick to and it makes me feel good in life and on the basketball court.

Speaking of which, I'm up to 410 made 3 pointers. Got 40 today and yesterday, but I was out of state all weekend for my sister's graduation.

It was fun, I drank a couple of the nights and went to a couple great parties. It was a good time, I was grooving some of the time, but I didn't hit on any chicks or have options, so I remained single and liking it.

I'm making art too. I've got a big one to show you guys, just gonna need tonight to finish the background on it.

Cheers

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
475/1000. My shot is so much better than when I started.

Also played 1 on 1. The dude was black with long arms, but he was bad, how I used to be last summer. He had a decent dribble, but his jump shot was awful and he missed a couple lay ups. Beat him easy. Plus he seemed tired at the end and I was just hitting my stride.

Still gotta finish that big piece (its a sheet about 2 feet by 3 feet, maybe a little bigger). Its taking a long time to fill the space, but the parts i have left are just tedious filling in with colored pencil. Also been sketching and starting a collage.

Went out with a few friends last night. Not enough girls. Had a few excellent craft beers though. No one else wanted em, preferred their light beers. Weird...

Sooo yeah. I probably won't make my 1000 by the end of May, but I'll be past 500 and I have until June 15 to finish the rest. Then Im going to Israel to study abroad and meditate more deeply.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
650/1000

I'm still grinding. Yesterday I was lazy. I ate and sat around after my friend left my house. So today I woke up at 8 am, did laundry and went to the gym to make 80 shots. Probably going to the lake with friends today, but if I don't, I'll finish two big pieces of art I have going and (probably) post em here!

I never posted about a party I went to. I've always been good at house parties but I felt especially alpha. Met every girl, got along well with every person there. There was one beautiful girl in particular... Shoulda gotten her number. Oh well. Still living the single life. The key to that night was never overextending myself. If I felt bored, I sat on the floor and played with the dog. If there was no one around to talk to, or I couldn't break into a close conversation between friends, I stood there and danced to the music by myself. Call it self amusement I guess, or my introverted nature. I am enough to be happy. And people noticed.

Basketball basketball basketball. Gotta run more sprints soon. Peace out.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Woo! 760/1000!

Double gym yesterday (added 35 to yesterdays 650). 75 makes this morning.

Im SO much better. The difference is HUGE. Pretty much every shot hits the top of the rim (I want my shots to fall down on top of the basket). My misses are closer and my percentage is so much higher. I shoot 30-35% from the 3 point line now. My shot is consistent. I practice running threes, where I sprint from half court to the line, stop on a dime and make my shot.

These last 240 are going to fly by.

Shooting gives me confidence in other ways, too. As a shooter in a gym (that usually has other people in it), I can feel them trying to gauge how good I am. It teaches me to stay within myself and develop a "shooter's ego." Even if my last shot didn't go down, I am a consistent shooter. A shooter has to keep shooting, he could go on a streak at any time. I hope you can see how this self-contained (and untouchable) confidence can help anywhere, with anything you've practiced.

Went to the lake yesterday. Had fun with friends. Threw a football for the first time in a long time. I was surprisingly good. Made some great catches and swats, since I'm jumping comfortably, putting my hands in the right spots, and expecting the pass to come to me hard. There were too many people around for us to drink like we wanted to, but we got away with a little.

Found a harmonica in my basement. Very tempted to pick that hobby up again, but there's no place to practice where I won't bother someone. I'll find a way.

In 3 days I start my ceramics class. In 16 days I go to Israel. At that time I expect I will quit sosuave permanently (at least the high school section). I spend too much time on here, and its time for our new high schoolers to have this forum for themselves.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
910 and a good lift today.

Also ceramics class.

On my grind and feeling great. My shooting is better than ever and I'm staying creative. Almost ready to shift into the next phase of my life.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
950. Worked for a long time on my hook shot, especially with my weak left hand. I have a confident shot for every spot on the floor.

The last 50 will happen and I'll need to keep hitting the gym until I go to Israel. Went out to a friends house last night, nothing to speak of and went home early.

Started a collage yesterday. I don't like it. Still going to ceramics class. I enjoy being one of the best ones there, but I don't talk very much.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I knew as soon as I posted that would be confusing. Collage is cutting up paper (and other things) to make artwork. I'm off college for summer vacation.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Wish I had an evenly matched player for some 1 on 1. One more workout before I've achieved my medium-term goal.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Played 3 games of 21 today. Not much 3 point practice so I'll be conservative and say 990.

Party tonight.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Party cancelled. Instead, I asked a girl on a date over Facebook (after some small talk). She said she has a boyfriend, but offered to go on a "friend-date." I said no thank you.

The sex would have been amazing. Oh well.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Done. Over 1000 shots. When I played today I felt like an average player. I'm certainly better than I used to be though. Just goes to show that as you get better at something, your standards go up too. You make a new definition of "good" and try to reach it.

I still have a lot of work to do. I leave the country on the 17th. I will still go and play basketball til then. One of my new goals has to do with my vertical jump. I would like to touch rim by the end of the summer, so I can try to dunk by the end of this coming school year.

Gotta create a regimen to improve my vertical and then begin to execute it.

FantasPT

Don Juan
Reaction score
LearningSlowly said:
Hey guys!

I'm back to basketball practice. I haven't been lifting, so to compensate I'm doing push ups on an irregular basis. My basic rule is whenever I think of it, I go and do push ups. Good ones. My chest touches the floor and I jump my hands off the ground when I come up (im not very good at clapping yet). In fact, I'm going to do some now.

That felt good. I also do bicep curls occasionally and squats with medium weight. Before you get on me, I know its not a very good workout.
But its one I can stick to and it makes me feel good in life and on the basketball court.

Speaking of which, I'm up to 410 made 3 pointers. Got 40 today and yesterday, but I was out of state all weekend for my sister's graduation.

It was fun, I drank a couple of the nights and went to a couple great parties. It was a good time, I was grooving some of the time, but I didn't hit on any chicks or have options, so I remained single and liking it.

I'm making art too. I've got a big one to show you guys, just gonna need tonight to finish the background on it.

Cheers
I think that if it is an workout that you can stick with, them its a good workout, but I think maybe you should put more time into weight lifting, to develop all of your arms sections and chest, and some time into the abs section.

You probably know this but you need to eat food's that have a good or high value of protein to feed your muscles, and avoid eating the ones that have a great value of fat, like peanut butter for example.

I do a workout every day from Monday to Friday where I lift 12kg in arms exercises to develop all of the sections, some exercise that works the chest and arms at the same time and sometimes I do an exercise that concentrates on the shoulder's, and I do exercises to develop the abs and legs.

In that gym where you go to, do you only do basketball, or do you use the gym to do some weights too?

But anyway like I said I think that any workout you can stick with, it is a good one. :up:

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
FantasPT said:
You probably know this but you need to eat food's that have a good or high value of protein to feed your muscles, and avoid eating the ones that have a great value of fat, like peanut butter for example.
Sources I've seen say that fat is good. I also have a skinny body type, no matter my exercise and activity levels, I retain very little fat on my body. So Im not cutting back on fat at all. I do make an active effort to eat protein daily. I am trying to reduce sugar and empty calories. Basically I want a lot of healthy fat, not much processed junk.

Yes I work out. No I dont lift weights regularly. Im not keeping logs of my weights and reps, Im not actively increasing those weights. I do a lot of body weight work, I've started lateral hops, squats, calf raises and high jumps. I'm still doing push ups (nearly) daily, and Im good at clap push ups now.

Im mostly worried about my leg muscles and, more importantly, my jump mechanics. My goal right now is to learn to engage not only my quads, but also my glutes and hamstrings when I jump. Shot Science (a reputable youtube channel) recommended learning that as the start of training your vertical, before you begin to work on power.

FantasPT

Don Juan
Reaction score
LearningSlowly said:
Sources I've seen say that fat is good. I also have a skinny body type, no matter my exercise and activity levels, I retain very little fat on my body. So Im not cutting back on fat at all. I do make an active effort to eat protein daily. I am trying to reduce sugar and empty calories. Basically I want a lot of healthy fat, not much processed junk.

Yes I work out. No I dont lift weights regularly. Im not keeping logs of my weights and reps, Im not actively increasing those weights. I do a lot of body weight work, I've started lateral hops, squats, calf raises and high jumps. I'm still doing push ups (nearly) daily, and Im good at clap push ups now.

Im mostly worried about my leg muscles and, more importantly, my jump mechanics. My goal right now is to learn to engage not only my quads, but also my glutes and hamstrings when I jump. Shot Science (a reputable youtube channel) recommended learning that as the start of training your vertical, before you begin to work on power.
I'm more concentrated in abs, chest and arms muscle, but the legs are also important.

I my opinion you're doing good, and the healthy fat is good, the fat that comes from foods like meat, fish, milk, those kind of things, the ones that I'm talking about are only the ones from candy's, fast food, etc...the junk food in general xP

But anyway I think you're going well, but in my opinion (and I may be wrong xP) I think that using body weight isn't good to make a good progress, and that it's only good to maintain the muscle and form that a person already has.

Try and see this site, Scooby's Workshop, I think it has very good advices, techniques, things you can use to workout, etc, I think that it will help you, It helped me a lot when I started to get really interested in working out my body :D

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Not sure you understand what my goals are and why I exercise.

I don't care about how my body looks, I just want to be better at sports. Not doing it to impress girls, just trying to be good at the skills I care about (basketball in this case) and have energy and coordination in my life.

I've seen scoobys stuff but it doesn't fit with my goals and I have bad joints.

FantasPT

Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't see it has a way to get girls, but has a way to improve my body, getting girls is a bonus xP

From what I've been reading you are getting very good at basketball, do you think on someday trying to get professional at it?

What kind of things do you do at pottery class?

FantasPT

Don Juan
Reaction score
Forgot to say, continue doing excellent threads and continue giving those excellent advices ;)

Thanks man xD

The advices that you and the other members gave me really helped me change a lot of things :D