Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Life update

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm done with my first year of college.

I kissed a girl tonight on our first date. She wouldn't invite me to her room though, that was a turn off and I sent her a foolish text later. Her number is gone and I'm mature enough to keep living.

This May I will shoot 1,000 3 point shots to improve my basketball game. Lifting, dribbling drills and body weight exercise will hopefully flow out of this motivation.

My art has been very good the past couple weeks. I'll hopefully be making much more this summer.

Staying humble and hungry. I need to evolve.

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LearningSlowly said:
I'm done with my first year of college.

I kissed a girl tonight on our first date. She wouldn't invite me to her room though, that was a turn off and I sent her a foolish text later. Her number is gone and I'm mature enough to keep living.

This May I will shoot 1,000 3 point shots to improve my basketball game. Lifting, dribbling drills and body weight exercise will hopefully flow out of this motivation. Dude you ball too!?!? Finally someone on here is ****ing into basketball. i'm down to work out a plan with you to improve.:up: ball is a sort of passion of mine, but i never have time for it during school, so i'm going to start up the drills again in a few weeks...Have you ever seen any videos by ShotScience?

My art has been very good the past couple weeks. I'll hopefully be making much more this summer.

Staying humble and hungry. I need to evolve. Self-mastery is my goal
I really wish your rep wasn't disabled lol

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shot science has pretty good practice tips. To understand team basketball better, watch BBallBreakdown. Shows NBA games and the subtleties of footwork, passing, and good ball movement. And Dre Baldwin shows good work ethic and amazing skills.

I'm going to Israel to study abroad from mid June to mid July. They'll have a court and balls on the archaeology site where I'll be digging. That'll be a good chance to play a lot of pick up games. I'm taking basketball as a class next semester, so I expect a lot of improvement in the next 6 months.

Where I'm at now, I have a decent mid range shot, good footwork in the post (with a good hook shot and reverse lay up to finish) and my dribbling is about average (behind the back, between the legs and whatever, nothing super special). Gotta work out how I'm planning to so that I can be a threat from the perimeter.

Also need to make art. Taking a ceramics class with my former teacher at the beginning of June. He just got back from Italy and surely has a ton of new knowledge to share.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My shooting goal has changed. Instead of taking 1000 shots I will make 1000.

Got to the gym yesterday and shot 50 makes today with my dad rebounding. (Probably took about 250 shots to get those 50, I suck right now).

Eph

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good luck with your goal. I started practicing again when spring started since I hadn't practiced all winter and I've improved so much. I learned how to dribble between both of my legs, my lay ups are so much better, and shotscience has really helped improve my form and accuracy.

My game has improved ten fold from where it was last year so i hope you have as much success as me. Then again i literally go out everyday it isn't cold/windy or raining haha. Any personal tips for good form besides the basics (backspin, stagger feet, etc)?

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LearningSlowly said:
Shot science has pretty good practice tips. To understand team basketball better, watch BBallBreakdown. Shows NBA games and the subtleties of footwork, passing, and good ball movement. And Dre Baldwin shows good work ethic and amazing skills. Thanks for the tips!

I'm going to Israel to study abroad from mid June to mid July. They'll have a court and balls on the archaeology site where I'll be digging. That'll be a good chance to play a lot of pick up games. I'm taking basketball as a class next semester, so I expect a lot of improvement in the next 6 months. Sounds like a dope class lol

Where I'm at now, I have a decent mid range shot, good footwork in the post (with a good hook shot and reverse lay up to finish) and my dribbling is about average (behind the back, between the legs and whatever, nothing super special). Gotta work out how I'm planning to so that I can be a threat from the perimeter. Dude my biggest problem has always been my dribbling..for some reason. My shot was getting really good tho back in the day, and i had some serious range. If you want to improve your shot, do the drill that shotscience says, literally it works better than anything else. I also suck in the post. This summer i'm going to take some time to get my dribbling back, and then my shot, and then work on dribble attack moves, then post game maybe.

Also need to make art. Taking a ceramics class with my former teacher at the beginning of June. He just got back from Italy and surely has a ton of new knowledge to share.
LearningSlowly said:
My shooting goal has changed. Instead of taking 1000 shots I will make 1000. Make 1000 shots a day?! Dude are you crazy?

Got to the gym yesterday and shot 50 makes today with my dad rebounding. (Probably took about 250 shots to get those 50, I suck right now).
^^^

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Make 1000 this whole month. Only made 50 today, going back tomorrow (maybe twice) and keeping it up until I get my thousand.

A post game is huge because if you decide to drive and make it down in front of the basket and your defender is still with you, its easy to get stuck.
You dont want to be standing there looking to pass, you need options. You want to be able to go middle and shoot a hook shot (with either hand) or go the other way and shoot a jumper. Hakeem Olajuwon had the best post game in the history of basketball.

Dribbling is overrated. It'll help you not get the ball stolen, and help you steal the ball off other people, but really you need an explosive first step to beat your man, no matter the dribble move.

I love the game. Its really balanced, it rewards passing, and someone with any body type can be a baller. And the fact is, all of this is just talk. No matter what I know, its what I do on the court that counts. I love that.

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LearningSlowly said:
Make 1000 this whole month. Only made 50 today, going back tomorrow (maybe twice) and keeping it up until I get my thousand.

A post game is huge because if you decide to drive and make it down in front of the basket and your defender is still with you, its easy to get stuck.
You dont want to be standing there looking to pass, you need options. You want to be able to go middle and shoot a hook shot (with either hand) or go the other way and shoot a jumper. Hakeem Olajuwon had the best post game in the history of basketball.

Dribbling is overrated. It'll help you not get the ball stolen, and help you steal the ball off other people, but really you need an explosive first step to beat your man, no matter the dribble move.

I love the game. Its really balanced, it rewards passing, and someone with any body type can be a baller. And the fact is, all of this is just talk. No matter what I know, its what I do on the court that counts. I love that.
True dat. Yeah I just want to have better ball handling skills before I start going deeper into the game. I also need to layup with my left hand..which is ****ty at best.

Dude I'm telling you do the shot science shooting drill. After 2 weeks your shot will increase by 100%. Also, it forces you to make 100 shots per day.

How tall are you? How naturally athletic? Speed? Hand eye coord?

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Got to the gym this morning. Made about 25 from beyond the arc. Worked on my crossover (be able to explode one way first, that's one move, then look like you're going to explode that same way, but cross the ball to the other side) and worked on going at a full sprint with the ball.

Went there without eating breakfast, which I notice really hurts my shooting percentage, but doesn't make me slow or handle the ball worse.

Worked on walking around the gym dribbling between my legs on each step. I can get 4 in a row, this will improve. Also did behind the back passes to a wall.

We'll see if I make this a bit of a basketball journal. I'm not sure I want that, but it's always nice to talk about a work out and remember what you learned.

AlexLefty

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LearningSlowly said:
Got to the gym this morning. Made about 25 from beyond the arc. Worked on my crossover (be able to explode one way first, that's one move, then look like you're going to explode that same way, but cross the ball to the other side) and worked on going at a full sprint with the ball.

Went there without eating breakfast, which I notice really hurts my shooting percentage, but doesn't make me slow or handle the ball worse.

Worked on walking around the gym dribbling between my legs on each step. I can get 4 in a row, this will improve. Also did behind the back passes to a wall.

We'll see if I make this a bit of a basketball journal. I'm not sure I want that, but it's always nice to talk about a work out and remember what you learned.
Keep doing that walking around the court and inbetween your legs ****. After doing that for like 3 days i could get lots in a row...really as many as i can before my concentration slips and i start thinking about something else haha.

Also dude. I've been thinking, i love bball and all, but i don't think i'll have time for it this summer, meaning i won't have time for it for many years. It just doesn't align with my goals. Like it's a goal to get better, but that goal is low priority compared to my other ****. Maybe i'll talk to u about this on fb - cause i think ur one of the only people who can take a step back and be aware of philosophies/self-improvement ****.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I completely understand that. Sometimes its smart to take sections of your life (lets say 6 months or longer, so you can actually achieve something) and devote it to one thing. You can improve a lot in 6 months, and retain a lot of that improvement over time (but never all, unless you keep practicing). So devote the time to whatever you need to devote it to, no need for it to be basketball.

Got into the gym twice today. Around noon I went, shot for a while, until a pick up game started (10-12 older guys walked in at one time, there was no way I was going to get into that game) so I left the court, did a short lift and hit the rowing machine for a few minutes.

Second time I went I played in a 3 on 3 game. Got one steal and made one 3 pointer (&missed one), but they werent really looking to pass to me. Was on a team with two pretty big black dudes. After that I got my dad to rebound for me, put up 40 made shots toward my goal. 115/1000.

Have no rebounder for tomorrow. I'll get to the gym in the morning and work on consecutive behind the back dribbles and work on a spin move. There's always something else to work on in this sport, I love it.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
165/1000

Played some 5 on 5 today before shooting. It's hard to get open for good shots. I need to be quicker on my feet and be more confident driving past my defender.

DJ Bax

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude... We should totally meet up and ball, I played in highschool and could show you a lot probably.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bax you got my message.

I need to work more on my shooting. My legs are inconsistent.

Played 5 on 5 today. Didn't get enough passes but I also wasnt aggressive enough. Also played 1 on 1 with a friend. About a year ago he was better than me, today (while he hit a couple tough shots) I was better than him. Progress, but true progress isn't measured against other people.

No social life to speak of. I sort of like it that way, with less time on that I spend more time on painting, drawing and self improvement.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
240/1000.

Shot this morning. Then after dinner I played 5 on 5. Missed an easy lay up, but I hit a solid fast break jumpshot and a clutch 3 at the end of the second game. Im still sort of an outsider, but as players learn that I like to swing the ball and I can shoot when Im open, Im starting to get more looks. I play good D and run on every possession.

Social life- still meh. Im not really trying. Im here til mid-June, and all it would be is sex (I know, its blasphemy). Maybe I should cold approach for a good motivational kick in the ass, but I dont see the point in opening old doors with past girls trying to get laid.

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
All the way up to 330/1000. Big day of shooting, hit the gym twice.

****ed up bad in a game of 5 on 5. Missed all 4 three pointers I shot, missed a reverse lay up, and I played bad defense. Not very fun when teammates don't pass to you after all that. Whatever, my shot is getting better.

DJ Bax

Don Juan
Reaction score
Biggest thing to worry about with your shooting is keeping your right foot forward (if you are right handed, left foot forward if your a leftie) and to make sure that you are shooting up and snapping your wrist instead of pushing the ball with your entire right arm, Imagine that you are in a phone booth and you have to shoot the ball up and over the walls.

Hustlaz Ambition

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn y'all lucky I want to move to Georgia so bad. I went to ATL last summer and loved it. I'll be going again this Saturday to an EDM club called Iris I think. How is ATL as far as day and night game go?

Another thing I noticed is that the black girls look WAYYY better over there than they do here in Bama.

Last edited:

LearningSlowly

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The best night life in Atlanta is in music venues. The very best places to night game are 21 and over, but there are a lot of 18+ places. When you go to those clubs, expect every hot girl who is 18 to be with at least one guy. This wont stop you, just change your approach.

Back in HS when I really wanted to night game, I went to house parties and sometimes to Georgia Tech to try out the frats down there. Also concerts. But rarely clubs.

Hustlaz Ambition

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn that's ALOT of options to choose from compared to what goes on in Alabama. Nightlife here is straight up garbage other than EDM events which only happen every 2-3 months(yet ATL has EDM events every week). Further proof that I need to move to a big city.