Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Kbear's Lifting Journal

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Today’s Workout:

Standing Military Press
75lbs x 5
90lbs x 5
100lbs x 8 (rep record, usually in the 5-6 range)

Assistance:

Dips
BW x 10 (3 sets)

Chins
BW x 4
BW x 3
BW x 2
w/ 25lbs assistance x 4
w/ 25lbs assistance x 3
w/ 25lbs assistance x 2

*45 min walk with dog
-Thanks Quag
-This is what I am following now Triumvirate Assistance, from my bible the 5/3/1 manual...

"This is the smart man’s way to train, because it’ll force you to think about which exercises are the most effective. It’ll make you experiment and reevaluate. All we’re going for here is to limit each workout to 3 exercises, including the big one.

...This is very similar to Boring But Big, but you don’t have to do the same exercise over and over again, and you don’t have to do 5 sets. Just do the 3 exercises you’ve found to be the most effective for your training.

One problem I see is that people feel they need to do something for everything. In reality, one or two exercises can get the work done. I used to have problems with my grip and my lockout when I deadlifted. I was given a laundry list of exercises I should do to bring these up: reverse hypers, glute-ham raises, kneeling squats, shrugs, plate pinches, gripper work, finger-strengthening work and gripper closes. No thanks.

After constantly failing and having my deadlift go nowhere, I came across Kroc Rows, as described earlier. These did the trick like nothing else I’ve tried.

I did one or two sets of high-rep dumbbell rows every week. My upper back got bigger, my grip problems went away, my lats got stronger, and my lockout improved – and because my upper back was so much stronger, my bench, in turn, was more stable. So with one exercise done for two sets a week at most, many of my problems went away.

The point of the story is this: find your Kroc Row. Quit farting around with a million things for your lower back and settle on the one that will make you strong. People ask me why I love dips so much. Have you found a better exercise for your shoulders, chest and triceps? I haven’t.

What about chins? Besides a barbell or dumbbell row, few things can compare.

How about good mornings for your hamstrings and back?

Weighted sit-ups or hanging leg raises? You can feel free to go twist on your ball. I’ll take these two.

I’m not in the weight room to jerk off to a bunch of different exercises and go nowhere. For more than 20 years, I’ve been walking into weight rooms, but I’ve never entered to train, exercise, work out or get a pump. I go into the weight room to get strong. "

Hope you all had a good weekend!

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Today’s Workout:

Squats!
135lbs x 5
165lbs x 5
195lbs x 4 (My breathing was off which caused a panic attack…ugh)

Assistance :

Good Mornings
85lbs x 7…couldn’t recover from the squats….

*45 min walk with dog

- Gained 2 lbs from last week

Irritated….

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Did you ever get supps btw?

Magnesium in particular would be a good idea if you get panic attacks. Most people are deficient, and drinking causes levels to deplete further. Training also increases requirements. It is very important for a ton of stuff in the body, including heart function and relaxation.

Keep it up.

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Today’s Workout

Incline Press
105lbs x 3
120lbs x 3
140lbs x 5 (did 7 with spotter, just 5 that were all me)

Assistance:

Cable Chest Press
60lbs (per arm) x 8 (2 sets)
75lbs x 6

Kroc Rows
50lbs x 8
50lbs x 6
50lbs x 5

-took an ativan before working out so no panic attacks, i dont want to do this often

-Quag I take 250mg of Magnesium twice a day (most days) there is also 50mg in my multivitamin also…need to research how much I should be taking so I can up the dose if need be and in all honesty... I rarely drink during the week since starting work and have about 8 beers on fri/sat

That’s all..Have a good weekend people!

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, for future reference, don't take benzos' (like ativan) prior to training. Benzodiazepines have a global inhibitory effect on your nervous system (increase ligand affinity for GABA-A)... I believe this means that they not only affect your motor cortex but descending motor neurons as well. In short, I think benzos pre-WO would negatively affect performance by affect your neuronal efficiency. If you have issues w/ anxiety try and use other means to calm yourself.

I always take stimulants, caffeine or other methyl xanthines, or clen. Top it off w/ water, multis, B complex and metabolic support w/ arginine and creatine derivatives. Some of these stimulants make me kinda jumpy, and I do get pretty nervous prior to a max lift attempt, but I just lie down, close my eyes and let me whole body relax. It calms me down, and I find really helps w/ performance as well.

Good to see you getting on kroc rows. Think about adding some weight to your dip once you get into the BW x 10-12 range.

Keep it up man, you're doing great!

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That magnesium is a waste of time. If you look at the ingredients, it is magnesium oxide. Better of in the bin, than in your digestive tract. Get some of this:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/magnesium_citrate

You add it to water and drink it down. It is the stuff I use and is pretty much tasteless. While were on the subject of anxiety etc, it would be worth adding in some taurine as well and seeing how that helps. It is dirt cheap:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/taurine

"Taurine is also an inhibitory neurotransmitter, and plays a major role in stabilizing the heartbeat". It also increases gaba/serotonin/melatonin which is good news for anxiety.

They are best taken before bed, but for some can be quite handy at other times in the day as well. For you obviously before bed, but also trying it in the morning or before training too see if it keeps you calm.

Here is the scooper that it talks about in the articles:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/products/plastic_scoop

I definitely notice a difference about 30 minutes after taking around 1 gram of taurine and 400mg magnesium. Nice and calm, no racing thoughts/feeling tense.

Keep up the good work!

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Today’s Workout:

Standing Military Press

Warmup
85lbs x 3
95lbs x 3
110lbs x 5 (almost had 6!)

Assistance

Dips
BW x 10 (3 sets)
BW x 8

Chin Ups
BW x 4
BW x 3.5 holding til failure
BW x 2.5 holding til failure
BW x 1.5 Holding til failure

*45 min walk with dog

-Fugly, in regards to the Ativan before training, in what you are saying it is just hindering my intensity, correct? Not actually harming my body. Correct me if I am wrong please! Don’t need any more injuries.

-Quag, Will scrap the MG I have and get one ending in an –ate like you always say…apparently I did not read that on the back of the bottle I purchased. Will also look into the taurine

-Ok a question for Dips! I do not want to buy a dipping belt right now, is it safe to use my backpack to toss some weight in it? I am only going to start off with 5-15lbs in it to test it

I really appreciate the input, thank you gentlemen. Until next time!

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
kbear0101 said:
-Ok a question for Dips! I do not want to buy a dipping belt right now, is it safe to use my backpack to toss some weight in it? I am only going to start off with 5-15lbs in it to test it
Yes.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ativan will affect your intensity, and inefficient neuromuscular efficiency has the potential to increase risk for injury... I'd suggest avoiding it all together around WO time.

A dip belt is really just an ergonomic training aid. Its great for decompressing your spine, which is the biggest reason I do weighted dip/pull up work. Most gyms should have a dip belt hanging around somewhere though. I just bought one because they're pretty cheap, $50-70, and the ones at my gym suck.

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Today’s Workout

Squats!
135lbs x 5
150lbs x 3
185lbs x 3
200lbs x 7 (Hamstrings were done after this…really wanted to get some leg presses in since my ankle is all good now…next time!)

Since that blew my workout I finished up with weighted ab work and used a bicep machine 4-5 sets of 10-15

…cant walk my dog tonight!

-app

Take care fellas!

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Friday’s Workout:

Incline Press

Warm-up
110lbs x 5
125lbs x 3
145lbs x 0 (couldn’t even put up one by myself, the spotter helped me with 5….did 5x at 140 last week)

Assistance:

Cable flys
5 sets of 6-10

Kroc Rows
55lbs x 8
55lbs x 8

-running late for work had to stop it here

-been in a rut lately with the gym, not as motivated as before but I guess I just have to tough it out and keep going consistently…running 5/3/1 on incline at same weights next cycle I am going to get a minimum of 145lbs x 4

Enjoy your time people!

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Monday’s Workouts:

Approx 1130AM

Standing Military Press
Warm-up
75lbs x 5
85lbs x 5
100lbs x 6

Dips
BW x 8 (3 sets)

*anxiety attack
-Went to work, hit the gym again at around 11PM

Chin-ups

BW x 5
BW x 3.5
BW x 2.5
25lbs assistance X 5
25lbs assistance x 4

Cable Rows
5 sets of 8 reps

Cable Bicep Curls
1 massive superset 5-6 sets ranging from 9-1 rep

*45 min walk with dog

-felt great after the 2nd workout

-Went on a trip to Cancun…suffered from food poisoning my last day…it was horribe... was literally pissing green out my a$$ non-stop for over 2 days….did not fully recover for over a week…stomach still iffy

-other than that I am happy to get back to the gym, I lowered my training maxes a bit as I am getting back into it, wish you all the best! Where the hell are you Quag?

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Today’s Workout:

Incline Press
Warmup
95lbs x 5
115lbs x 5
130lbs x 6

Cable Chest Press
4 sets of 6-9

Kroc Rows
50lbs x 8
55lbs x 6
55lbs x 6
55lbs x 5

Tricep Pushdowns
4 sets of 6-10

*45 min walk with dog

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tonight’s Workout:

Deadlifts

135lbs x 5
150lbs x 5
170lbs x 3 (hamstrings were burning after the 150, not heavy at all)
2pps Super Squat x 10

*45 min walk with dog

…still walking funny…not sure what happened think it is because I am getting back into deads, I did not stretch either…combination of both…anyway not discouraged….hopefully will be able to try to squat on Thursday….going to go to the gym tomorrow night after work and play around with some assistance work/machines

Take care people!

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tonight’s workout:

No real plan just wanted to keep out of trouble after work…

Chins
BW x 5
BW x 3
BW x 3
BW x 2
BW x 1

Lat Pull Downs
4 sets of 5-9

Bicep Machine
4 sets of 5-10

Ab Wheel/Ab machine

*45 min walk with dog

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Tonight’s Workout:

Squats!
115lbs x 10
135lbs x 10
155lbs x 6 (quite a bit of anxiety after this one)

Power Squats
3pps
3 sets of 5
1 set of 3 (hamstring started burning again)…will be some time until I get back to where I was with my squats

Some ab work with cables
3 sets of 15
1 set of 5 (Failure)

Standing Calf raises
3 sets of 15

*possible 45 min walk with dog

-not going to use whey after my next workout for a bit, just going to eat whole foods

-diet consisting of mostly chicken/fish/beef/pork/whatever meat and brown rice, 1 cheat meal on Saturday….sorry cant eat anymore oat meal Effort

Goodnight!

frenchbeauty

Don Juan
Reaction score
Kbear way to stick with lifting weights regardless of your panic attacks.. I know how tough it might be at times ! Honestly what helped me the most was getting a full physical check-up from a doctor regularly ( at least once a year ) + I asked to get an EKG in order to rule out any heart problems.
Keep it up !
FB