Food consumed so far

meal 1- high protein flax cereal
meal 2- protien bar 410 cals, 41 carbs, 32g protein
meal 3- can of tuna, can of V8
meal 4- grilled pork and brown rice
meal 5- grilled pork and roasted potatoes
meal 6- grilled pork and can of v8

1 scoop of whey protein

Might take dog for a 45 min walk later this evening...usually do this about 3x a week...need to take care of my animal...

no drinking yet today...ill probably get bored and have a beer or two later...will post if I do

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Ended up playing poker and having 2 beers....then went to a friends and a bunch of more people showed up...had a great time, met a new girl...disappointed in myself...had probably 6-10 beers throughout the evening due to a drinking game...

the positive thing is I was nursing the hell out of my drinks and dumped some down the sink..which I have never done before...4 days of summer left

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good start...apart from the drinking of course. I'm about to head out myself :D

I've told you about the affects it has, so you'll have to judge yourself and find a balance.

Be warned though, if you are trying to gain weight, alcohol is the devil when your calories are above maintenance. You will become a fat bastard if you aren't careful. My food intake is lower on the days I drink to compensate, and when I get round to putting some more mass on, drinking 3x a week probably won't cut it. I got away with 1-2 when I first started, but it might not work if I'm a bit bigger. Just something to think about...

Keep it up.

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Todays Diet:

Meal 1- 4 egg whites 3 turkey sausage links (7g fat 13g protein) + 1 scoop of whey in water
Meal 2- can of tuna, 1 can of V8, half a piece of grilled pork
Meal 3-Hamburger helper (rice and ground beef…whatever other garbage that is in there also)
Meal 4- egg whites (4)
Meal 5- can of tuna, 1 can of v8
Another scoop of whey in water

walked the dog for 45 mins
possibly going to have 2 beers later....

Appreciate the feedback Quagmire

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Today’s Workout:

Squat

105x5
125x5
135x10

Rep Record 135x10

Assistance:

Calf exercise (forgot name) 135x 10, 2 sets
Prone leg curls 50lbs? x5, x7
55lb barbell curl x5, x8

Mini panic attack after doing the squats…even though its light weight (leaving my ego at the door like the program says)…Quag recommended it and he has had his journal going for a very long time so I am going to follow through with this routine for a while at least…

Food Consumed:
Meal 1- 4 scrabbled egg whites and 3 links of turkey sausage
Meal 2- can of tuna, can of V8
Meal 3- Protein Bar (410 cal 41g carbs 32g protein)

The day is still early…No alcohol yet...making progress on that though, I bought a 32oz beer last night and ended up dumping 1/3of it out.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What do you mean mini panic attack, what happened?

Don't take my word for 5/3/1, check out ironaddicts.com for more reviews. The guys at elitefts are among the strongest in the world, the program is legit.

It basically takes all the guess work out of it.

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Just really lightheaded for a while and my breathing pattern changed.. bad anxiety...really wanted to leave after squats but just told myself to man up...it is all mental my doctor knows of this and it is just another thing I will have to deal with : )

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you sure you weren't just tired after the squats, they are hard on the body...

How fit are you?

And if you are anxious, theres another reason to cut the alcohol intake.

Are you taking any supplements?

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Im toned and pretty athletic...I have done two sets of 135x 20 last month...felt like I was going to fall over afterwards but the panic attacks are different...just felt like stopping at 10...it randomly happens

Supplements, multivitamin, flax capsule, I have fish oil just forget to take it

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm, ok.

You are basing your weights off of 90% of your 1rm yes? As long as you are thats ok.

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes...90% of my RM...175 x .9 =about 160(.85)=about 135lbs.

Rest of the day's diet is horrible...

meal 4-grilled chicken and rice
meal 5- 3 corndogs (think 280 cal each)

....5 beers

going to take my dog for a 45 min walk...

-take care fellas

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Food consumed:

Meal1- Meatball sandwich on a bagle with a piece of cheese and tomato sauce (breakfast of champions)

Meal2- Can of tuna, can of v8

Meal3- Grilled pork and spinach

Meal4- 4 hard boiled egg whites and spinach

Meal5- 2 hard boiled egg whites and some turkey deli meat

went for a 45 min walk with the dog

...3 beers

Last edited:

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Todays Workout:

Bench

85x5
105x5
115x12

Rep Record 115x12 (Think I could have done more wasnt breathing properly)

Assistance:

Cable exercise for the pecs (forgot name) 65lbs on each side

Dips- bodyweight x5, x6 (just started doing my own bodyweight in dips not long ago!)

Over-Under tricep extensions- 2 sets of 10

2 sets of weighted hypers

...feel great...will post diet later

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Forgot yesterdays diet. Althought it was similar to the other days...

Todays Diet:

Meal 1-1/3 protien bar, bunch of turkey breast on once piece of wheat bread, 1 scoop of whey in water

Meal 2-Tuna, V8

Meal 3-4 egg whites 3 turkey sausage links

Snacks:
1 scoop of whey in water
3 cheese sticks (50 cal 5g protein)
Some peanuts

-Ate less today because I thought I was going to drink a lot tonight …only 5 beers though

-Walked for 45 mins with my dog

…read in the 5/3/1 program that I can use the trap bar do to dead lifts…I call it the noob stick…any objections/critisms if I decide to use this?

I also believe that I am not getting enough calories with my current diet to make the progress I desire (drinking aside)…going to weigh myself after week 3 or 4 to see what is going on with that

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lol, "only 5 beers", nice.

Use the trap bar if you want, but I don't see why you wouldn't just stick with regular deads unless there is good reason.

I would keep an eye on your waist btw. It's a good indicator of whether you are getting fat.

frenchbeauty

Don Juan
Reaction score
Kbear,

I used to have BAD panic attacks a few years ago, and especially while playing sports. The best thing is to ignore them, and totally let go. You won't die.

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Diet:

Meal 1- protein bar 410 cal 32g protein 41g carbs. Can of V8
Meal 2- Can of tuna, cheese stick
Meal 3- dozen hot wings! So good but bad at the same time

Snacks:
Cheese sticks -50cal 2.5g fat 6 protein
Very few nachos
Few French fries (energy sticks!)- love them…stopped myself from eating a bunch
2 scoops of whey in water...

-45 min walk with the dawg

-9 holes of golf

-went out with said girl I met at the party few nights ago

…: ( 7-11 beers……last day of summer today…hectic school schedule this semester so the drinking will decline

…I feel great

Quagmire- In regards to the trap bar, I feel I have great form with it and feel every muscle the exercise hits by using it…also It seems like I would be less likely to sustain an injury using the noob stick. I can also lift a ton more weight by using it.

When I do regular dead lifts I have poor form, unable to lift as much, hit my shins on the way down, and my back aches for a few days after doing them. There are trainers at the gym that can help me with my form but its really a toss up…Might just use the trap bar for a month and see what happens.

French Beauty- I appreciate your response and your advice (easier said than done but it is great advice). The root of the panic attacks is a few years back…I had a family member diagnosed with cancer and pass away. I started having horrible panic attacks, but I dealt with it and they went away for over two years. Then randomly when I started working out a few semesters ago I started having them really bad again…first at the gym, then everywhere else. Now I just randomly have them at the gym, weird huh?

Take care everyone, rest well!

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At least your doing some cardio to burn the fat.

If trap bar deads feel good right now go for it, but I would practice regular deads with a lighter weight so as you can have them at your disposal. Ironaddict likes them, and they definitely something that can be used.

And if you have no intention of powerlifting and just want some muscle, it would matter far less, and is probably a good thing if it helps you stay injury free.

Btw, sumo deadlifts might be something that is easier for you. It's basically a deadlift with a wider stance and your arms on the inside, it suits some people a lot better for their build.

Here's a good deadlift article:

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20524

Keep it up.

Ps-I think the trap bar weighs a bit less than a regular bar, keep that in mind.

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Week 2, Workout 1:

Standing Military Press
3x60
3x70
7x80
Rep Record: 7x80

Assistance:
Lateral Raises 2 sets of 10
Chin ups-body weight…1x4, 1x3
Croc Rows- 35x12, 35x11

Food Consumed:
Meal 1- 4 egg whites, peanuts, can of V8
Meal2- turkey sandwich on two pieces of wheat bread…nothing else on it
Meal 3- can of tuna and some corn
Meal 4- protein bar 410 cal 32g protein 40 carbs

Snacks:
2 cheese sticks
Scoop of whey in water
Going to try to cook some more egg whites later

…today was a LONG day at school, I didn’t eat enough and was hungry all day(forgot my food on the counter)…going to eat so much tomorrow!

Quagmire, for clarification my sheet says 70% x 3…that means lift 70% of my 1 RM max three times, correct? Feels like a light workout, I have read the reviews and enjoy it so far...sticking with it for a while

*no alcohol today

kbear0101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Deadlifts (trap bar)

115x5
125x5
135x12 (it was supposed to be 140lbs I goofed) this set worked me good

Rep record: 135x12

Assistance:
None, had a busy day just wanted to get my dead lifts in and leave. I might continue to do this…go 4 days a week and just a day of dead lifts or squats with no assistance.

Diet:
Meal 1- Scrambled eggs 5 (2 whole eggs and 3 egg whites), 3 turkey sausage links
Meal 2- Can of tuna, can of V8, scoop of whey in water
Meal 3- Protein bar (410 cal 45g carb 32g protein)
Meal4- Lots of grilled chicken, potatoes, fruit, misc veggies

Snacks:
Cheese sticks
1 scoop of whey and water