Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

JonJaper's workout log

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Today was legs/abs day:

Warmup:
5 mins on treadmill to get blood flowing to the legs
2 sets of warmup squats, 94 pounds, 10 reps

Max-effort squats: 2 sets, 231 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Leg press: 1 set, 319 pounds, 7 reps...did not go to failure so I did a forced negative to failure at the end of the set

Stiff-legged deadlifts: 2 sets, 247 pounds, 6 reps...again, not taking it to failure for back safety

Leg curl: 1 set, 135 pounds, 6 reps to failure

Calf raises (using a Smith machine and a raised platform): 3 sets, 319 pounds, 13 reps to failure

Kneeling rope crunches: 2 sets, 1st set was 88 pounds, 12 reps..didn't go to failure so for the 2nd set, I increased it to 93 pounds, 10 reps to failure

Woodcutters: 1 set per side, 49.5 pounds, 10 reps to failure

All numbers in bold represent increases from last week

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yesterday was chest/shoulders/triceps day

Warmup:
5 mins on that 'exercise bike for arms'
2 warmup sets of dumbbell bench press, 2x35 pound dumbbells (so 70 pounds in total), 10 reps

Dumbbell bench press: 2 sets, 2x57 pound dumbbells (so 114 pounds total), 6 reps to failure

Incline barbell bench press: 2 sets, 121 pounds, 7 reps to failure

Wide-grip dips: 2 sets, with an 11 pound plate attached to a belt, 6 reps to failure

Seated dumbbell military press: 2 sets, 2x48 pound dumbbells (so 96 pounds total), 5 reps to failure. I couldn't get them up to starting position so I did them one sided.

Dumbbell side lateral raises: 1 set, 2x22 pound dumbbells (so 44 pounds total), 11 reps to failure

Cable tricep pushdowns: sets, 77 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Decline dumbbell skullcrushers: 1 set, 2x26 pound dumbbells (so 52 pounds total), 5 reps to failure. Dumbbells are a bit harder to control so I might switch to decline barbell skullcrushers next week.

Any numbers in bold represent increases from last week

Last edited:

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Today was back/traps/biceps day

Warmup:
2 warmup sets of deadlifts, 143 pounds, 10 reps

Deadlifts: 2 sets, 308 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Assisted chin-ups: 2 sets, 18 pounds of assisstance, 6 reps to failure

Bent-over barbell rows: 2 sets, 110 pounds, 9 reps to failure

Barbell shrugs: 2 sets, 181 pounds, 10 reps to failure

Just like last week...I went in to the gym late, and closing time was near...(gym closes early on a Saturday compared to weekdays) so I had to rush the rest of my workout and cut down on my rest time...subsequently did not make much progress from last week. I really need to improve my time management so it doesn't affect my progress

Barbell curls: 2 sets, 84 pounds, 6 reps to failure

Seated dumbbell curls: 1 set, 2x 31 pound dumbbells (so 62 pounds in total), 6 reps to failure

Barbell wrist curls: I'm going for a higher rep range (8-12) so I'm using a lower weight...2 sets, 55 pounds, 8 reps to failure.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Damn, sosuave was down for a few days...couldn't update this!

I think I'm gonna save an html copy of this thread to my computer...it's a comprehensive log tracking my progress all the way from the start. I'd hate to lose this info if sosuave crashed.

Anyway...last Wednesday (21st) was legs/abs day:

Warmup:

Max-effort squats: 2 sets, 231 pounds, 6 reps to failure on the 1st set, 5 reps to failure on the 2nd.

Leg press: 1 set, 319 pounds, but this time I adjusted the machine settings to get the max range of motion, 5 reps to failure

Stiff-legged deadlifts: 2 sets, 247 pounds, 7 reps...again, not taking it to failure for back safety

Leg curl: 1 set, 135 pounds, 7 reps to failure

Calf raises (using a Smith machine and a raised platform): 3 sets, 319 pounds, 14 reps to failure

Kneeling rope crunches: 2 sets, 93 pounds, 10 reps to failure

Woodcutters: 1 set per side, 49.5 pounds, 10 reps to failure

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Last Thursday (22nd) was chest/shoulders/triceps day

Warmup:
2 warmup sets of dumbbell bench press, 2x35 pound dumbbells (so 70 pounds in total), 10 reps

Dumbbell bench press: 2 sets, 2x57 pound dumbbells (so 114 pounds total), 7 reps to failure

Incline barbell bench press: 2 sets, 127 pounds, 7 reps to failure

Wide-grip dips: 2 sets, with an 11 pound plate attached to a belt, 7 reps to failure

Seated dumbbell military press: I've noticed that I've been getting really sloppy with my form so I reduced the weight to nail my form...did 2 sets of
2x39 pounds (so 78 pounds in total...) 5 reps to failure with much better form.

Dumbbell side lateral raises: 1 set, 2x22 pound dumbbells (so 44 pounds total), 11 reps to failure

Decline barbell skullcrushers: 1 set, 55 pounds, 5 reps to failure

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Last Friday (23rd) was back/traps/biceps day

Warmup:
2 warmup sets of deadlifts, 143 pounds, 10 reps

Deadlifts: 2 sets, 308 pounds, 6 reps to failure on the 1st set, 5 reps to failure on the 2nd set

Assisted chin-ups: 2 sets, 18 pounds of assistance, 6 reps to failure

Bent-over barbell rows: 2 sets, 110 pounds, 9 reps to failure

Barbell shrugs: 2 sets, 181 pounds 12 reps to failure

Barbell curls: 2 sets, 84 pounds, 6 reps to failure...my form's getting sloppy, I'm gonna reduce the weight and nail the form

Seated dumbbell curls: 1 set, 2x 31 pound dumbbells (so 62 pounds in total), 6 reps to failure

Barbell wrist curls: I'm going for a higher rep range (8-12) so I'm using a lower weight...2 sets, 55 pounds, 8 reps to failure.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Tuesday (27th) was legs/abs day:

Warmup:

Max-effort squats: 2 sets, 231 pounds, 6 reps to failure

Leg press: 1 set, 319 pounds, but this time I adjusted the machine settings to get the max range of motion, 6 reps to failure

Stiff-legged deadlifts: 2 sets, 253 pounds, 5 reps

Leg curl: 1 set, 140 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Calf raises (using a seated machine.... different machine from last week....the gym was closing soon and I couldn't afford to wait for the Smith machine to free up), 2 sets, 66 pounds, 10 reps to failure

Kneeling rope crunches: 2 sets, 93 pounds, 12 reps to failure

Woodcutters: 1 set per side, 55 pounds, 7 reps to failure

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yesterday was chest/shoulders/triceps day

Warmup:

Dumbbell bench press: 2 sets, 2x61 pound dumbbells (so 121 pounds total), 5 reps to failure

Incline barbell bench press: 2 sets, 137 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Wide-grip dips: 2 sets, with a total of 16.5 pounds attached to a belt, 5 reps to failure

Seated dumbbell military press: Still nailing form....did 2 sets of
2x39 pounds (so 78 pounds in total...) 6 reps to failure with much better form.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Today was back/traps/biceps day

Warmup:
2 warmup sets of deadlifts, 154 pounds, 10 reps

Deadlifts: 2 sets, 308 pounds, 7 reps to failure on the 1st set, 6 reps to failure on the 2nd set

Bent-over barbell rows: 2 sets, 110 pounds, 10 reps to failure. I'm currently doing these rows with an explosive/jerking movement....next week I'll lower the weight and lift with a smoother motion.

Barbell shrugs: 2 sets, 192 pounds 10 reps to failure

Barbell curls: 2 sets, 66 pounds, 5 reps to failure with much better, smoother form.....my biceps have lost strength though:confused: ...not sure why, I haven't jerked off in days...

Barbell wrist curls: I'm going for a higher rep range (8-12) so I'm using a lower weight...2 sets, 55 pounds, 10 reps to failure.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, as you guys know sosuave is a website focusing on self-improvement as a whole....i.e. both physically and mentally...so although this log shows my workouts, I'll also post events/thoughts that are related to my own personal development in ALL areas of my life (university, gym, girls etc)

As mentioned before, I lost my virginity to hookers in October...this event represented the beginning of a new chapter in my life of self-improvement.

One of the things I have recently noticed about myself in my self-improvement journey is that I take things very personally and can get stressed about relatively minor things, or things I can't change. This is holding me back in life, affecting my self-confidence AND success with women.

A good example was something interesting that happened today....

Usually deadlifting really takes the winds out of my sails, so sometimes I grunt loudly as it helps me channel my aggression towards the lift AND helps with my breathing during the lift.

Today, after I deadlifted 308lbs for the first set of 7 reps, some big Polish guy (just another customer, didn't work at the gym) came right up to me (his nose was barely inches away from my face) and he tells me how a guy got kicked out for shouting, and that I should not shout especially when doing such a "pathetic weight". He told me off like an angry parent would to a child. I'll admit that it pissed me off and was downright rude....I felt he had no right to speak to me like that and invade my personal space the way he did.

I then replied "it may be a light weight for you, but it's heavy for me so I don't see why you needed to say that" After being exposed as a rude idiot trying to undermine me by calling my weight "pathetic", he concedes and semi-apologetically says "ok, but don't shout" and I said I'll try to keep it down.

After he walks off, some smaller guys came up to me and told me I did a good job. I guess they felt good seeing the small guy stand up to a big idiot who thinks he runs the gym.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
After that first deadlift set though...I couldn't help but keep thinking about what happened: how that guy insulted the weight I was doing and how he was rude to me.

I get that my grunting may have distracted him....and the next set I tried to keep it down...but even then, he had NO RIGHT to behave the way he did.

If he asked me to keep it down because he was getting distracted (instead of rambling on about some guy getting kicked out like he's some sort of rule-enforcer when he's not even an employee), that would have been reasonable.

But I guess I can't expect everyone to have manners and to behave the right way...you're always gonna encounter idiots in life.

The worst part is that I let it get to me. I felt bad that I allowed someone to :

a) talk to me like that and
b) invade my personal space and be all up in my face like that

Looking back on it....I probably should have told him that I understood that I might have been distracting him from his workout with my noise, and that I'll try my hardest to keep the noise down...but let him know that he had no reason to be in my face and to insult me the way he did, and that I would not have a reason to respect him if he behaved like that towards me.

It would have been the more confident and mature thing to do. Confident in the fact that I don't let people mistreat me....but mature in that I explain myself reasonably, instead of arguing back/insulting back/starting a fight in the way that immature confidence would lead to. If he carried on behaving like an idiot...then that's totally his fault and that's when the gym staff and security staff within the building get involved....either way not my problem.

The confidence required to assert myself and not get walked over like that would require me letting go and not taking things personally. So what if he insulted the weight I was doing?

Yeah that insult stung...especially because when I was younger I was the small kid in school getting bullied for being physically weak...it brought up bad memories of being picked on by bigger kids.

But who cares?? I am progressing with my deadlift (increased my deadlift by 88 pounds since October) and I'm seeing good gains.

Plus the kind of guy that insults someone else over the weight they are lifting is NOT someone worth taking seriously. The guy is an insecure idiot himself, who doesn't know how to speak to people properly and ask them to keep the noise level down.

It doesn't need to have anything to do with my past. I gotta let go of it.

The question is...

How???

Last edited:

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The above incident made me think about confrontations as a whole (work colleagues, idiots at the gym, friends, family, girlfriends, wives, kids) when either the other person is wrong or BOTH you and the other person are wrong.

I've thought of a formula/structure for dealing with such confrontations.

Basically it goes like this:

"I understand that x/y/z bothered you and I will do x/y/z next time.....but there was no reason why you did x/y/z"...if you behave like that towards me, why should I respect you?

For the example at the gym...it would have gone like this:
"I understand that my loud grunting might have distracted you from your workout and I'll keep it down next time, but there was no reason why you had to come THIS CLOSE (show him how close) to my face in an aggressive manner and tell me I'm doing a pathetic weight. It might be a light weight for you, but it's heavy for me and there was no need to try and insult me...if you behave like that towards me, why should I respect you?"

For the angry wife:
"I understand that you are on your period and it's painful and makes you irritable and next time I'll try not to invite my parents round for dinner when you are on your period...but there was no reason why you had to bring up how you find my mother annoying. There was no need to call her names and insult her, which would obviously offend me. If you behave like that towards me, why should I respect you?"

The work colleague/boss

"I understand that you are an experienced member of the team and that you found my suggestion not constructive, and next time I'll take your opinions into account more...but there was no need to be condescending and rude. We are in a professional environment and insulting me infront of the juniors as well as the manager was inappropriate and low.If you behave like that towards me, why should I respect you?"

Basically you can apply this argument buster to ALL confrontations where both people have been wrong OR the other person is in the wrong.

In most cases the other person will be reasonable (usual reply is along the lines of "I didn't mean to behave like that" )...or something defensive but still conceding...from there you can work out a solution.

However if the person carries on behaving unreasonably....or behaves in an even worse manner, congratulations, you are dealing with an idiot who is now 100% in the wrong...you warned them, now give em hell! ;)

Last edited:

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've recently had a chest infection and got into bad eating/sleeping habits this week...but instead of quitting completely, I'm working around the problem.

This week I was supposed to do legs/abs on Tuesday, chest/triceps on Wednesday and back/biceps today....but instead I am doing my workouts on Thursday (today), Friday and Saturday, giving myself a little more recovery time.

That doesn't mean I'm stopping my workouts, as I'm still fulfilling my workout targets for the week.

So today was legs/abs day.

My university gym is closed for Easter vacations so I went to a commercial gym in the city and got a day pass.

Warmup:

Max-effort squats: 2 sets, 236 pounds, 7 reps to failure on the 1st set, 6 reps to failure on the 2nd set.

Leg press: 1 set, 355 pounds, 7 reps to failure. This was on a different leg press machine, so I'm not counting this as progress.

Stiff-legged deadlifts: 2 sets, 253pounds, 6 reps

Leg curl: 1 set, 140 pounds, 5 reps to failure

Calf raises on a standing calf-raise machine, 3 sets, 345lbs, 10 reps to failure...this commercial gym has a different machine to the one I usually use, so I'm not counting this as progress.

Kneeling rope crunches: 2 sets, 93 pounds, 12 reps to failure

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
:) :) And now for some positive news...since I usually rant about negative things that happen at the gym :) :)

A couple of girls (cute cardio bunnies wearing skintight low-cut tops and shorts) who were on the cross-trainers came up to me after I finished squatting and said I was really strong lol! I'm not gonna lie, I enjoyed it. :yes: :D

By any weightlifting standards, 236 pounds for 7 reps is not remarkable at all, but maybe because I'm 5'6 and I'm not very muscular, it is impressive for my size. Or I guess in a commercial gym it's a different setting and maybe people don't train properly or intensely there, so when someone does, it is impressive to them.

Just to prove that point further, as I was leaving the gym (at this point my legs were exhausted, so I was walking down the stairs like some sort of penguin or a clown), some guy comes up to me, tells me he was watching me and that my squat was impressive.

He also told me that he has been working out for 20 years but he never trains legs, yet he also plays amateur level soccer...surely leg strength is important for this. I politely made conversation but thought that the guy was crazy for not training legs, despite 20 years experience and still not looking muscular at all.

Anyway, I'll take the positive side from it, which was that I got compliments.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm at my family home outside of London for the Easter vacations, so I'm at a local gym which doesn't have a free bar and only a smith machine. I'm gonna have to squat/incline bench/deadlift on it.

Saturday (7th) was chest/shoulders/triceps day

Warmup:

Dumbbell bench press: 2 sets, 2x61 pound dumbbells (so 121 pounds total), 5 reps to failure

Wide-grip dips: 2 sets, with a total of 16.5 pounds attached to a belt, 6 reps to failure

2x39 pounds (so 78 pounds in total...) 7 reps to failure with much better form.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Sunday (8th) was back/traps/biceps day

Warmup:
2 warmup sets of deadlifts, 154 pounds, 10 reps

Deadlifts: 2 sets, 313 pounds, 6 reps to failure....not counting this as progress since the Smith machine makes the deadlifts much easier.

Bent-over barbell rows: I'm going lighter to nail form....2 sets, 99 pounds 7 reps to failure without jerking and with a smooth motion/

Barbell shrugs: 2 sets, 192 pounds 11 reps to failure

Barbell curls: 2 sets, 66 pounds, 6 reps to failure with much better, smoother form

Barbell wrist curls: I'm going for a higher rep range (8-12) so I'm using a lower weight...2 sets, 55 pounds, 11 reps to failure.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have also started eating to maintenance now, lowering my calories and my carbohydrate intake (taking less rice per meal etc).

Soon I'll start cutting on a keto diet with ZERO carbs, meaning no rice, pasta, grains, fruit etc. Not even milk since milk has some carbs in the form of lactose. I'll pretty much be living off eggs, meat and cheese, but I'll have cheat days and take carbs on one day a week. I think I'll start cutting at the end of this 3rd 8-week cycle.

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Easter vacations are over, I'm back at my university gym which means a free-standing barbell!!

Today was legs/abs day.

Warmup:

Max-effort squats: 2 sets, 236 pounds, 7 reps to failure on both sets, gonna increase the weight next week.

Leg press: 1 set, 319 pounds, 7 reps to failure using the full ROM of the machine.

Stiff-legged deadlifts: 2 sets, 253 pounds, 7 reps

Leg curl: 1 set, 140 pounds, 6 reps to failure

Calf raises on a seated calf-raise machine: 3 sets, 66 pounds, 10 reps to failure. I'm switching to a seated cald-raise machine as I feel it works the calves better and isolates them more than doing standing raises on a Smith machine (where there is chance of using back/shoulder muscles to help). Sure, it means not doing 319 pounds for 12 reps etc, but who cares about pushing heavy weights to impress people at the gym? I leave my ego at the door.

Kneeling rope crunches: 2 sets, 99 pounds, 10 reps to failure

JonJaper

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yesterday was chest/triceps/shoulders day:

Warmup:

Wide-grip dips: 2 sets, with a total of 22 pounds attached to a belt, 5 reps to failure

2x39 pounds (so 78 pounds in total...) 7 reps, but I didn't go to failure so I did a forced negative at the end of each set to failure. I'll increase the weight next week.