Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

I hate having a roommate!!!

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate how I have to have a roommate because:
  • he never leaves
  • he won't leave if I bring a girl over
  • he goes to bed at 10PM
  • my girlfriend won't come over because of him
  • I cannot return to my room past 10PM because I have to listen to him b!tch at me, and I usually return at 11PM or later.
  • I always have to listen to him b!tch at me because of my habits/eccentricities
  • I cannot have any group get togethers because he doesn't want to drink on campus.
  • I will be able to listen to the music that I actually enjoy (such as country music)
  • He thinks that he always has to be correct.
  • His friends always comes over, but my friends won't come over because he is there.

I just cannot wait to move out of the friggen dorms to the apartments. At least this way, I can do my own sh!t and won't have to be bothered by it.

God, I hate living in the dorms.

comic_relief

The Forms

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Man, I remember living in the dorms. It was aweful. You pay a ridiculous rent to live in one small room with a stranger who likely has little to nothing in common with you. You can't paint the walls, or bring any furniture in (IE, make it feel like home). The beds are made of that same material they make the mattresses in baby cribs, except instead of being used for a year by a baby like a crib does, they are used for a decade or more by grown men. The floors are that school cafeteria tile. The walls are cinder blocks painted white decades ago. You also have all sorts of silly rules to follow, and mandatory meetings about all the limitations they put on you. You also get no kitchen, and you have to share a bathroom with 40 other dudes.

I can't imagine if my landlord tried to put those kinds of stipulations on me out in the real world. I hadn't been to a dorm room in years, but last week I went with a buddy to see a movie in his girlfriend's dorm. It blew my mind how aweful it was, and how I'd forgotten about it. No wonder she sleeps over at his place all the time.

Word to the wise, don't even bother with the on-campus apartment thing unless you have to. It costs easily twice what you'd pay for a place on your own, but you still have silly rules and residence life people jerking you around about nonsense.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My mom wants me to get a roommate when I start university in the fall. I say no way. She is offering to pay for rent but there is no way I'm going to share my living space with anybody.

I would love to have at least my own little studio near campus.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maxtro said:
My mom wants me to get a roommate when I start university in the fall. I say no way. She is offering to pay for rent but there is no way I'm going to share my living space with anybody.

I would love to have at least my own little studio near campus.
Its fine IF...

you get your own bedroom and have some personal space. Otherwise, it sucks b@lls.

comic_relief

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I shared a bedroom with my brother for 18 years and that sucked elephant balls. I will never never never share a room with another man.

Right now I live with my grandma and her friend. I can't stand having to see, hear and interact with people I don't want to be with. I don't think I can even live with college age peeps even if I had my own room.

These are all decisions I have to make when I find out what schools I've been accepted into.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'd pay the extra money to live off campus.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
I'd pay the extra money to live off campus.
Next semester, I'll be living with my best female friend and it will be $100 cheaper for the semester.

My girlfriend wants to move off campus as well for the same reasons I do except the fact that her roommate goes to bed at a reasonable time (Midnight to 1AM), which is a good time for sleep especially since I don't have class until 11AM on Tuesday Thursday. I also won't have to get up until 3PM on Monday - Wednesday for classes.

I like my roommate as a friend and consider him as one of my best friends, but I just cannot stand living with him anymore.

comic_relief

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
comic_relief said:
Next semester, I'll be living with my best female friend and it will be $100 cheaper for the semester.

My girlfriend wants to move off campus as well for the same reasons I do except the fact that her roommate goes to bed at a reasonable time (Midnight to 1AM), which is a good time for sleep especially since I don't have class until 11AM on Tuesday Thursday. I also won't have to get up until 3PM on Monday - Wednesday for classes.

I like my roommate as a friend and consider him as one of my best friends, but I just cannot stand living with him anymore.

comic_relief
One bit of advice, before you move in one piece of furniture work out how finances are going to be divided; rent, utilities, food, incidentals. Oh, and are there any "house rules?" Living together with your girl isn't always the romance that they dream that it would be.

Kaim Argonar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Your social and love life can be poor or non-existent at college when you're in your own apartment, and the amount of time that you spend stuck there can be depressing. These times around I'd seriously wish I was in some dorm. Thanks to posts like these, though, I'm still certain that in the end I've made the right choice with living in my own place.

Obsidian

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dorm roommates can indeed be kinda lame. It just really sucks to be stuck living in the same ROOM as someone who you are not having sex with. I had two roommate experiences in college. The first one was really bad: He went to bed early and also had a horrible temper -- so he would criticize me and sometimes yell at me for quietly entering the room after he was in bed. The second one was a friend that I actually chose; he was a lot more agreeable and we got along alright, but it still kinda sucked to be crammed into such a small room with him. After that, I got a single dorm room at college, and things were a lot better.

Now I have a couple roommates with me at a 3-bedroom apartment, and things are a lot better than the college roommate experience. The separate bedrooms part is key. Also, the guys I picked are relatively cool and easy to deal with.

If you can get a dorm with separate rooms, it should be a lot better for you. Kaim is right that, for social reasons, living in the dorms is generally preferable while you're at college.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am considering staying in the dorms but one thing does concern me. Most of the school's that I have looked at don't allow overnight guests. It makes since so you won't inconvenience your roommates, but it still sucks.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kaim Argonar said:
Your social and love life can be poor or non-existent at college when you're in your own apartment, and the amount of time that you spend stuck there can be depressing...
Stuck how? What in the world would you be stuck doing that would keep you from socializing? :confused:

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
Stuck how? What in the world would you be stuck doing that would keep you from socializing? :confused:
Ungodly amounts of homework... when you're in the dorms, you can just walk out into a common area, and usually see someone you know. When you're in an apartment, however, it's not as easy to walk out to the kitchen or wherever and take a ten minute break to visit with a buddy.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Damocles said:
Ungodly amounts of homework... when you're in the dorms, you can just walk out into a common area, and usually see someone you know. When you're in an apartment, however, it's not as easy to walk out to the kitchen or wherever and take a ten minute break to visit with a buddy.
It may not be easy but it's not impossible. Besides, your studying should take less time since you don't have all of the distractions of being in a dorm or having a common area readily available. Your chances of procrastinating are greater with all of that within a few seconds of your room. What's the primary reason you are in university anyway. Take care of those things and then go have fun. Anyway, the hard stuff doesn't even begin until after you graduate. If you haven't figured out how to juggle several things by then you're going to really have a difficult time.

Master Bates

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Living with a roommate in a dorm blows big time. If you can either get a roommate-but-separate-rooms setup or a single occupancy dorm room, either would be far superior. Otherwise you're literally living in a walk-in closet with a random person for nine months.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kaim Argonar said:
Your social and love life can be poor or non-existent at college when you're in your own apartment, and the amount of time that you spend stuck there can be depressing. These times around I'd seriously wish I was in some dorm. Thanks to posts like these, though, I'm still certain that in the end I've made the right choice with living in my own place.
+1

I live in a 4 bedroom apartment with 3 other guys and it's OK, but my roommates are boring and don't do anything but sit on their computers all day. My apartment is in the rear corner of the building, isolated from everything else, and it's pretty boring.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
+1

I live in a 4 bedroom apartment with 3 other guys and it's OK, but my roommates are boring and don't do anything but sit on their computers all day. My apartment is in the rear corner of the building, isolated from everything else, and it's pretty boring.
How often do the gaurds come by so that you can go out into the yard? It must suck being forced to stay in your cell all the time, not allowed to go out and do the things that you want to do. I bet you wish that you could leave and see other people if you wanted to.

Damocles

Don Juan
Reaction score
How often do the gaurds come by so that you can go out into the yard? It must suck being forced to stay in your cell all the time, not allowed to go out and do the things that you want to do. I bet you wish that you could leave and see other people if you wanted to.
Depends... some majors, such as engineering, have prescribed course overloads. Those guys do more homework and classwork than a guy working full time would be doing. Think fifty, sixty hours a week, occassionally more. They're the guys you see wandering around campus in a daze.

Some other students work to get straight A's, whether their goal is to get into graduate studies or professional schools. Depending on their undergraduate major, they may or may not have to compete to get those A's. It can take a lot of work.

Then, there are the kids who are there to pass. They can go out drinking whenever, go out on dates whenever, pretty much do whatever whenever. They're the ones with a lot of free time. The rest of us have to juggle coursework, studying, jobs, athletics, friendships, any volunteer work, and we frequently don't have cars, so if we go anywhere, we lose an hour or more of our day.

Add to that an asshat roommate, and older adults who forget that university isn't all drinking games and reckless sex, and you get one big stew of stress and suck.