Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

How to gain mass as a skinny guy

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
People with diabetes who cannot consume a a high carb diet (Carbs are Sugars) can definitely gain mass by lowering their Carb intake and supplementing the Caloric Surplus with Proteins/Fats.
OP is not diabetic and if you think diabetic means low carb that is a misunderstanding of the disease pathology.

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Fat can be substituted as a fuel source to the body, but yes, that is typically the role of carbohydrates in the diet (especially for the brain).

OP, just make sure you eating a lot more high quality food than you are now with adequate amounts of fat, protein and complex carbs.

BoostedArrow

Don Juan
Reaction score
Oof that's quite the input from you guys.

I try to eat balanced: meat/fish, potatoes/rice coupled with different kinds of vegs/salads/fruits. Imo balance is key so your body gets everything it needs. I'd say the food I eat has very good quality. Not much processed foods.
Now, I'll also try small shakes.

I'm not diabetic.
Carbs are sugars(I don't know the exact term in english) yes, but they don't have to be bad: like cellulose (salads,vegs) or starch(bread, potatoes, anything out of wheats) are also carbs.

In terms of excercises I tried bench presses (with barbells instead of dumbbells) today. Now for the next few weeks I try exc. with few reps but very high weight and a lot of reps and lower weights to get max. tiredness. I think there's a lot of potential.
And then I'll focus on the basic compound exc.

I looked at creatine, but it's kinda useless, since it's just water in your muscles.

MixedMutt00

Don Juan
Reaction score

I try to eat balanced: meat/fish, potatoes/rice coupled with different kinds of vegs/salads/fruits. Imo balance is key so your body gets everything it needs. I'd say the food I eat has very good quality. Not much processed foods.

I'm not diabetic.
Carbs are sugars(I don't know the exact term in english) yes, but they don't have to be bad: like cellulose (salads,vegs) or starch(bread, potatoes, anything out of wheats) are also carbs.

In terms of excercises I tried bench presses (with barbells instead of dumbbells) today. Now for the next few weeks I try exc. with few reps but very high weight and a lot of reps and lower weights to get max. tiredness. I think there's a lot of potential.

I looked at creatine, but it's kinda useless, since it's just water in your muscles.
In all honesty, just look up a Youtube video. Our egos and personal experiences are sprayed all over the place, but for the most part I don't think any is horridly wrong. It's somewhat of a personal journey, but seriously use the calculators.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
TLDR;

OP:
How many days a week do you lift?
For how long?
Do you do any cardio?
How old are you?

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

I'm not diabetic.

Creatine is not useless. It's one of the most studied supplements, if not THE MOST studied supplements and has consistently shown that it's worthwhile.

I'd suggest you do more research as to why volumizing muscles is important in terms of strength and even hormonal signaling to the body, amongst numerous other things.

Also, I would probably know what you are talking about before you make those type of comments in the future.

Last edited:

BoostedArrow

Don Juan
Reaction score
TLDR;

OP:
How many days a week do you lift?
For how long?
Do you do any cardio?
How old are you?
Dude read my first post.

- The past few months I've only gone 2 times with 2 full-body workouts, I also went running and to boxing once a week. Before that I went 4 times with a push-pull split.
-boxing and running

In all honesty, just look up a Youtube video. Our egos and personal experiences are sprayed all over the place, but for the most part I don't think any is horridly wrong. It's somewhat of a personal journey, but seriously use the calculators.
yeah true, I figured people here could share their own experiences if they were in my situation.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Dude read my first post.
Dude, you're young so you get a pass.

Protip: you're asking for advice from experienced lifters, as such you want to make it as easy as possible for the person you're asking for advice from to provide it. Do not be surprised if people providing you with their personal experiences not to be fully invested in every word you say.

Don't respond like a girl, provide the information and get a response.

That said:
What's your daily caloric intake?
Height and current weight?
Do you know your macros?
What is your target weight?
Statement: you need to lift heavy stuff, as a young guy that's most likely low BF, and high testosterone you do not need metcon.
Answering the questions above will give us valuable information, in one place where we can make some sense of the situation.

BoostedArrow

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, you're young so you get a pass.

Protip: you're asking for advice from experienced lifters, as such you want to make it as easy as possible for the person you're asking for advice from to provide it. Do not be surprised if people providing you with their personal experiences not to be fully invested in every word you say.

Don't respond like a girl, provide the information and get a response.

That said:
What's your daily caloric intake?
Height and current weight?
Do you know your macros?
What is your target weight?
Statement: you need to lift heavy stuff, as a young guy that's most likely low BF, and high testosterone you do not need metcon.
Answering the questions above will give us valuable information, in one place where we can make some sense of the situation.
Reading the first post with the question is the minimum anyone can do before skipping two pages of posts. Otherwise I'd have to re-explain everything for 10 people and clog the thread.

-no idea
-185cm 68 kgs
-macros?
-around 74 Kgs minimum, up to 80 would be great if possible

What I find weird is, that even with two years of lifting in the gym, increasing weights as I should and eating good quality food, just nothing of mass sticks. My body is shredded and looks good without a T-shirt on. But a bit mass would be nice, so I also look somewhat muscular with a T-shirt on. I mean I can't just take off my T-shirt during office-hours.

MixedMutt00

Don Juan
Reaction score
Reading the first post with the question is the minimum anyone can do before skipping two pages of posts. Otherwise I'd have to re-explain everything for 10 people and clog the thread.
Dude, you're absolutely correct on this. Don't post the info again when the bare minimum anyone can do is literally read the first post. You're not "being a girl" for responding, you should've just ignored him.

Screenshot 2023-07-18 2.48.49 PM.png
I didn't know 185 cm is 6 ft, you a big boy. Aren't you hungrier during the day?
Screenshot 2023-07-18 2.58.02 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-07-18 2.58.27 PM.png
There, It seems you care about your nutrition, so I kept in nice and balanced for you. Anything with protein powder is a protein shake. I only did 2 for you, but you can add a 3rd instead if eating the physical food is too much for you. Don't worry about the "breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack" sections, just eat all the food however comfortable it is for you throughout the day. Good luck homie!

MixedMutt00

Don Juan
Reaction score
I also assumed a (+1) Kilogram of Muscle per week, but I left the info for (+.25) and (+.5) kilograms in case you wanted to go slower, just cut a couple of foods from the list. The calculations are also considering all the exercise you do, plus the cardio and boxing. If you cut some of those out, eat less as well.

Last edited:

BoostedArrow

Don Juan
Reaction score
Dude, you're absolutely correct on this. Don't post the info again when the bare minimum anyone can do is literally read the first post. You're not "being a girl" for responding, you should've just ignored him.

View attachment 10596
I didn't know 185 cm is 6 ft, you a big boy. Aren't you hungrier during the day?
View attachment 10597
View attachment 10598
There, It seems you care about your nutrition, so I kept in nice and balanced for you. Anything with protein powder is a protein shake. I only did 2 for you, but you can add a 3rd instead if eating the physical food is too much for you. Don't worry about the "breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack" sections, just eat all the food however comfortable it is for you throughout the day. Good luck homie!
I kept my diet healthy and balanced. But I think tracking calories might be the next step on this. Shakes will also be on my list.
I managed to get to ~71 Kgs under perfect conditions (on vacation), but it didn't stick, so hopefully it'll work.

MixedMutt00

Don Juan
Reaction score
I kept my diet healthy and balanced. But I think tracking calories might be the next step on this. Shakes will also be on my list.
I managed to get to ~71 Kgs under perfect conditions (on vacation), but it didn't stick, so hopefully it'll work.
You can hit 74 kg in about 6 weeks following that diet plan I made. If you want to lower the calories per day to around ~3500, it'll take about 12 weeks. Whenever you get a chance, count your calories for just an average typical day of yours and post it up if you're comfortable sharing it.

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score

-no idea
-185cm 68 kgs
-macros?
-around 74 Kgs minimum, up to 80 would be great if possible

What I find weird is, that even with two years of lifting in the gym, increasing weights as I should and eating good quality food, just nothing of mass sticks. My body is shredded and looks good without a T-shirt on. But a bit mass would be nice, so I also look somewhat muscular with a T-shirt on. I mean I can't just take off my T-shirt during office-hours.
If you have no idea what your daily caloric intake is, that's the first place to start.

If you don't know you are guessing and if you are guessing, it's pointless.

Track your calories and daily food intake for a week or so using MyFitnessPal and then update us on the results.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Use fitness pal as was suggested and learn the caloric values of the different foods you eat for a week. After a while you’ll just know that a boneless skinless chicken breast medium is x number of calories.

Your macronutrients: protein 30%, fat 35%, carbs 35%

To maintain your current weight requires about 3,301 Calories per day.

To reach your goal of 80 kg in 75 days at your current body weight and activity level, requires about:

4,595 Calories per day

I would suggest you work out every other day lifting weights exclusively no machines - just you and the oly bar - do Rippeys Starting strength. Rest is key for mass.

To reach your caloric goal:
3 palm-sized portions (or 180 g) of protein per day
That's 45 g per meal.
FOR EXAMPLE
Chicken
Tofu
Fish
Greek yogurt

6 - 8 fist-sized portions of veggies per day
That's 1 or 2 total fists per meal.
FOR EXAMPLE
Spinach
Carrots
Cauliflower
Tomatoes

16 cupped handfuls (or 484 g) of carbs per day
That's 4 total handfuls or 121 g per meal.
FOR EXAMPLE
Beans
Blueberries
Sweet potatoes
Oats

20 thumb-sized portions (or 215 g) of healthy fats per day
That's 5 total thumbs or 54 g per meal.
FOR EXAMPLE
Olive oil
Walnuts
Guacamole
Flax seeds

If you follow something like what is detailed above, you’ll get close to your target weight, lean, in 90 days. That’s about 4 meals a day. You will eating and using the bathroom all the time, get used to it, it’s half again your current caloric intake.

good luck

MixedMutt00

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you follow something like what is detailed above, you’ll get close to your target weight, lean, in 90 days. That’s about 4 meals a day. You will eating and using the bathroom all the time, get used to it, it’s half again your current caloric intake.

good luck
Oh yeah, taking the dumps is the best part. You get to go to sleep and have a great shet, knock out, and when you wake up, you're gonna take another great one. Everything just flows out SOOO smoothly, pretty crazy actually.

I'm somewhat joking, but I feel like I struggled when I'd use the restroom. I just started my diet and the gym again 2 weeks ago, and the dumps have been great. Solid, quick and easy; no complaints here, and no toilet paper tears. Just a good wipe or 2, maybe a little all purpose kleenix wipe to get the cheeks sleek and shiny, know what I'm saying

BackInTheGame78

Reaction score
Use fitness pal as was suggested and learn the caloric values of the different foods you eat for a week. After a while you’ll just know that a boneless skinless chicken breast medium is x number of calories.

Your macronutrients: protein 30%, fat 35%, carbs 35%

To maintain your current weight requires about 3,301 Calories per day.

To reach your goal of 80 kg in 75 days at your current body weight and activity level, requires about:

4,595 Calories per day

I would suggest you work out every other day lifting weights exclusively no machines - just you and the oly bar - do Rippeys Starting strength. Rest is key for mass.

To reach your caloric goal:
3 palm-sized portions (or 180 g) of protein per day
That's 45 g per meal.
FOR EXAMPLE
Chicken
Tofu
Fish
Greek yogurt

6 - 8 fist-sized portions of veggies per day
That's 1 or 2 total fists per meal.
FOR EXAMPLE
Spinach
Carrots
Cauliflower
Tomatoes

16 cupped handfuls (or 484 g) of carbs per day
That's 4 total handfuls or 121 g per meal.
FOR EXAMPLE
Beans
Blueberries
Sweet potatoes
Oats

20 thumb-sized portions (or 215 g) of healthy fats per day
That's 5 total thumbs or 54 g per meal.
FOR EXAMPLE
Olive oil
Walnuts
Guacamole
Flax seeds

good luck
If he is looking to gain mass I would probably up the carbs even higher...40 or even up to 50%. Likely will not need as much protein. The body needs far less than most people think to build muscle, but it's very important when cutting weight to help preserve as much muscle as possible in a caloric deficit and to aid with thermogenesis.

Carbs are the most important macro when trying to build muscle as that supplies the energy.

Also if he is taking in 1600+ more calories than his body needs on a daily basis, most of that will go towards storing fat. Your body is rate limited by enzymatic reactions in building muscle. It doesn't matter how many calories or protein or carbs you provide, your body has a bottleneck that nothing short of steroids will override.

OP seems very uneducated on how this process works...you don't try and do something within a certain time...unless you want a lot of weight to be fat. You do it smart and provide just enough calories to provide what it needs to build muscle but give it nothing extra for fat storage.

Last edited:

BillyPilgrim

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
OP if it hasn't been said, look into taking digestive enzymes to increase your digestive capacity.

Last edited:

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
the above is based on my experience. In my 40’s I put 18 lean lbs in about 5 months, I also stopped overtraining and was eating 6k/day.

If he is looking to gain mass I would probably up the carbs even higher...40 or even up to 50%. Likely will not need as much protein. The body needs far less than most people think to build muscle, but it's very important when cutting weight to help preserve as much muscle as possible in a caloric deficit and to aid with thermogenesis.

Carbs are the most important macro when trying to build muscle as that supplies the energy.