How to gain mass as a skinny guy

RazorRambo24

Banned
Reaction score
I do train all parts of my body and try to increase intensity all the time.

I guess I'll try increasing my protein intake with shakes/eggs/ maybe nuts. I agree my breakfast is quite ... low. But under the week I don't have that much time to eat a lot before uni starts.

I don't really want to give up boxing, it just gives me way more in terms of the whole self-defense and psychological advantages. I also need at least some cardio, that gives me some energy.

What about other body parts like biceps, back, abs?

I don't have time usually for 4 meals. I'll def. try the shakes. How much are we talking about with one shake? One glass of 200ml or more?

I try to get 8h minimum of sleep.
It all depends on how calorie dense the shakes are. Look up on google mass gainer shake recipe. Or weight gainrr shake or bulking shake recipe.

And yes ofc u train biceps shoulders abs calves but the point is that the 3 excercises thatll helpp you pack on the most size are the big ones like squats, bench press, deadlifts, but also stuff like bent over rows and t bar rows, military presses and stuff. Just have fun with it

MixedMutt00

Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys are going in circles.

Someone gains weight (fat or muscle) when they eat more calories than they burn.

The difference between gaining fat and gaining muscle is how your body is using the Calories. Any type of exercise will convert the Calories to muscle. Any LACK of exercise will be stored as Fat.

(Obviously not recommended but) you can get ripped, toned, and huge off just McDonald's, with very little fat ass long as you workout and eat at the surplus (more than you burn) necessary.

Except your body composition is composed of McDonald's, not the healthiest body composition.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi Boosted Arrow,
One of the benefits of being old,and still living in a relatively small Town where you went to School,is that you see People play out their full lifes...You see the inevitability of outcomes based on inherited Cultures and Genetic backgrounds.....Accept that you are one of Pharoahs lean kind,and be grateful that you will probably make Old bones!

CheekyMonkey101

Don Juan
Reaction score
OP wants to gain weight. You prescribed a high rep, high volume workout with a low carb diet. Literally the opposite of what he should be doing.
I didn't give a low carb diet. The diet I gave is very high in calories (which believe it or not is required to put on weight).

Also, training to failure (or close to it) will build you the most muscle. You can get strong without getting big. Muscle is built by mechanical tension. That is measure by effective reps. Effective reps are the last five reps of a set taken to true failure and are involuntary slow as they’re using large threshold motor units. So training to failure is literally how to optimally build muscle. Getting stronger is something that will happen when training to failure over time as in order to maintain failure you’ll end up using more weight/reps to achieve it. Building the main lifts can help but that’s not the GO TO requirements of building muscle.

You can also build motor unit patterns without adding mass.

Last edited:

IKO69

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's simple, eat more. If you're currently having 2-3 meals a day and not gaining weight, try 4, 5 etc

You have to eat big, to get big (in addition to getting adequate rest and all the other stuff). This also means proper food - forgo the whey protein shakes and make sure you eat quality food instead.

Also maybe cut back on the cardio if you're doing a lot.

Pierce Manhammer

Reaction score
Back in da dey you did GOMAD or added six cups of white rice (salt/water) to your already daily clean food intake.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
(Obviously not recommended but) you can get ripped, toned, and huge off just McDonald's, with very little fat ass long as you workout and eat at the surplus (more than you burn) necessary.

Except your body composition is composed of McDonald's, not the healthiest body composition.
Yes, McDonalds will be a lot of unnecessary fat.

I didn't give a low carb diet. The diet I gave is very high in calories (which believe it or not is required to put on weight).
Yes, you did. Very little carbs, way too much fat. He’s not going to gain weight eating Avacados. Needs to pack in the rice, beans, oats, and whole milk.

CheekyMonkey101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, you did. Very little carbs, way too much fat. He’s not going to gain weight eating Avacados. Needs to pack in the rice, beans, oats, and whole milk.
Avocados are more than a decent source of calories. I even mentioned rice in my post. It seems like you don't know what you're talking about and are just trying to be contrarian.

EyeBRollin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Avocados are more than a decent source of calories. I even mentioned rice in my post. It seems like you don't know what you're talking about and are just trying to be contrarian.
Avocados are fat calories. Fat calories are suboptimal for fueling workouts. No high performing athletes forgo carbohydrates to pack in fat calories. The diet plan you provided is high in protein and fat, and has insufficient carbohydrates. The macros are messed up.

CheekyMonkey101

Don Juan
Reaction score
Avocados are fat calories. Fat calories are suboptimal for fueling workouts. No high performing athletes forgo carbohydrates to pack in fat calories. The diet plan you provided is high in protein and fat, and has insufficient carbohydrates. The macros are messed up.
As long as you feel good and have energy and are in a surplus with enough protein you’ll build muscle. It doesn’t have to be high fat it doesn’t have to be high carbs. All that matters is calories and protein (as long as basic micronutrient requirements are being met). High carbs bs high fat is purely subjective and will be catered towards each person respectively. There are 101 ways to skin a cat.

This is what has worked well for me for years.

MixedMutt00

Don Juan
Reaction score
Avocados provide the Fat, Protein, and Carbohydrate macros.

So theoretically, Yes you absolutely can eat 3000 Calories of pure Avocado and workout, and if you're base Calorie Intake is 2000 (for example), you can get built, muscles toned and all.

Except that you're body composition is entirely composed of Avocado, which many can argue that isn't the healthiest. But you won't gain body fat if you're still working out. Built/Ripped doesn't always mean healthy.

MixedMutt00

Don Juan
Reaction score
Man. It really is this simple. I don’t know where things got so complicated.
Because the question was "How to gain mass as a skinny guy" but people started talking about different exercises and reps lmao. The answer (in this case) was simply eat more.

MixedMutt00

Don Juan
Reaction score
It is not subjective. The human body does not train effectively on a lower carb diet compared to a higher carb diet. This is not an opinion.
You speak of "effectively", but gains can be made whether you follow a low or high carb diet regardless. The primary factor to gaining mass is a Caloric Surplus, not high or low carbs.

MixedMutt00

Don Juan
Reaction score
People with diabetes who cannot consume a a high carb diet (Carbs are Sugars) can definitely gain mass by lowering their Carb intake and supplementing the Caloric Surplus with Proteins/Fats.

Top Bottom