How about an Advanced DJing forum?

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Gip & Wyldfire,
Thanks for the clear answers. I don't know if you want to hear my opinion on it or not, but here it is for what it's worth...

Let me state at the outset that I like having Wyldfire as part of the group. I think it's cool to have some women in a group that is mostly male and is focused on male issues. Especially women who are unusual enough to have some reason, whatever it may be, for caring to participate in such a group.

It is often said that women are experts in describing the type of man they *think* they want, but these same women often end up pursuing the exact opposite type of guy than what they claimed to want.

Consequently, some fear that having a woman dispensing advice will lead guys astray and that guys should instead focus on what women DO, not what they say. Hence a compendium of tips and threads based on men's experiences recording what women actually do, as opposed to what they say.

I agree with that, but having a woman on the site dispensing the the female perspective is just a good opportunity to make the point, IMHO.

HOWEVER... (a big however here) I have found that both men and women have ways of seeing the world that are sometimes distasteful to the opposite sex.

If Gipper referred to single mothers as having "baggage" and Wyldfire got upset about the fact that he made an insensitive remark, I have news for you Wyldfire.

You only THINK that your comment is directed at Gipper, and you imagine that some other guy wouldn't be so insensitive. But that's only because other men are constantly careful about what they say in a woman's presence. The reality is that you are faulting men for characteristics typical of most males. IMO, you are perfectly entitled to do that if they bring their views to you. But when you join a male oriented group then it is silly to be trying to squelch typical male attitudes at each occurance.

That would be like stepping into a football team locker room and saying, "hey, how dare you refer to women as [whatever]."

Yes, I remember you said you don't mind putting up with men's crude language, but that is not the point.

A more precise analogy would be me sitting in on a group of women that are discussing how to meet men, and any time they share tips on how to tell if a guy is successful then I rebuke them for being "so shallow." Or ditto if they talk about avoiding short, bald men, or men who have ABC or don't have XYZ. Whatever. Whatever their female concerns might be.

Wanting a guy to be successful or a "good provider" is a common and typical female focus throughout entire whole planet. So how would it be my place to give them a hard time about it, when they get together among themselves to discuss typical female concerns?

The bottom line is, I value what you bring to the group, but IMHO the onus is on *you* to "let things go" when guys say "guy things". And that even includes a certain amount of ribbing directed at you, simply because you're here and thus making yourself an easy target. Ribbing someone in a group who makes himself (or herself) and easy target IS a typical guy thing!

Another reason the guys take potshots at you is because they DON'T want to feel like they have to walk on eggshells and watch what they say just because there's a woman around. They get enough of that all day at work or at school or wherever. This group is their chance to freely say guy things, and not worry about it. So some of the attacks at you (or at women in general) are their way of reaffirming to themselves that they are in a safe environment where they don't have to worry about what they say. Then you slap back and surprise, they discover the coast isn't clear. IMHO, the best attitude for any woman to take in a pre-dominantly male group is the same as the attitude a girl learns to take when she's growing up around a bunch of older brothers. It's the attitude of being like a kid sister who is used to being teased and she has learned to laugh it off, rather than feeling a need to fight back over every remark.

(Consider the possibility that if you were in an abusive relationship and spent years taking the abuse, then you may now have a tendency to overcompensate and now find it difficult to seemingly "sit by and take it" when remarks are directed your way that feel vaguely "abusive".)

I hope I haven't been insensitive or hurt your feelings by pointing this out.

DeepBlue

Gipper

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good Afternoon DeepBlue!

I actually found the often referred-to post.

See for yourself how "harsh" I was. The fireworks don't start until the end, but the entire thread is a good read...

http://www.sosuave.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/010892.html

Gipper

------------------
"There's nothing wrong with letting the girls know you're money, and that you want to party.
-Trent, from "Swingers"

"Keep your girlfriend away from me,
Just advice I’m giving you for free,
Wanna have every thing I see,
So keep your girlfriend away from me..."
-Local H, from "Here Comes The Zoo"

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score

Gipper wrote:

Good Afternoon DeepBlue!
I actually found the often referred-to post.

See for yourself how "harsh" I was.

Gipper, I appreciate that you took the time to find that article, however I actually would rather not look at it. I don't want to take sides or get into a who's right vs. who's wrong contest.

In my previous post I expressed my view of these issues in a more general way, and did so about as thoroughly as I care to. At this point, I'm hoping that Wyldfire will see some value in what I wrote, and I hope she will take the absence of sugar coating as a compliment rather than an insult.

DeepBlue

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
DB...For the most part the generalized statements don't bother me. I usually only comment if it is obvious to me that the guy isn't taking responsibility for the part he plays in his own problems. That is how I viewed the single mothers thread as well. If you have a certain preference, all the more power to you, but it's really lame to justify your preference by dissing an entire group of people. That's no better than it would be for me to tell you that all men are woman beating rapists.

What elicits the biggest reaction from me is personal insults directed towards me rather than my sentiments.

I don't want anyone here to feel like they have to walk on eggshells around me. That would be silly. All I would like it the same level of common courtesy that they treat anyone else here with. So what if I'm a woman? This is the internet, they will never meet me and they can be just as crude, rude and socially unacceptable as they want. I'm pretty obnoxious myself. I just don't think it's necessary to behave differently towards me just because I have tits. I'm not asking them to treat me differently.

Gipper wasn't the one saying the things that bothered me on that thread I mentioned earlier. We had always interacted quite well in the past, so when he did make the post he did, it bothered me much more than it would had someone else made it.

As for the derailment of threads...I'm as proud a person as anyone else on the site. Most would react the same way under the same circumstances. I am certain this isn't "Just me" because I have absolutely no problems having calm, rational and respectful conversations with radical anti-feminist mens who are self-proclaimed misogynists. This type of thing NEVER happens when I interact with those guys.

Okay, now again I am going to TRY to not respond to this stuff anymore. But I have to say...you guys don't make it easy.

SoSuave.com

Administrator
Reaction score
Let's stay on topic please. I'm hoping someone can come up with some brilliant ideas to keep people interested and enthusiastic about the forum. I've got a few that I may throw out shortly, but I'm content to read what others think right now.

Gipper

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by sosuave.com:
Let's stay on topic please. I'm hoping someone can come up with some brilliant ideas to keep people interested and enthusiastic about the forum. I've got a few that I may throw out shortly, but I'm content to read what others think right now.

Once again, Allen, I apologize for the off-topic posts.

My enthusiasm for the site is still there; I just go through periods where I can't keep repeating myself and stay sane.

Gipper

------------------
"There's nothing wrong with letting the girls know you're money, and that you want to party.
-Trent, from "Swingers"

"Keep your girlfriend away from me,
Just advice I’m giving you for free,
Wanna have every thing I see,
So keep your girlfriend away from me..."
-Local H, from "Here Comes The Zoo"

trickynick

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by sosuave.com:
My final thought on this topic is as follows:

sosuave.com is a newbie's coming out party. It is a great site for developing the proper attitude, but once you are past that stage and just want to focus on techniques, there are other resources that serve you better. Just look at most of the topics in the main forum and you will see that what mostly goes on is questions about simple techniques and threads that are devoted to a train-the-newbie fest.

A lot of people who don't need the place as much are attatched to it because of the difference it has made in their own life and the occasional interesting new topics that do come up from time to time.

------------------
You either own the game or it owns you!

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
I think the main problem is that the forums aren't as organized and structured as they could be. Here's what I would change if I were in your shoes.

1) I would get a new forum program with private messaging to eliminate some of the posts to specific members.

2) I would divide the bulk of the forums into 4 basic sections as follows:

A. Beggining DJ
B. Developing DJ
C. Advanced DJ
D. High School DJ

Each section could have it's own sub-categories as follows:

1. Advice/Questions
2. General Discussion (Anything Else)
3. Tips
4. Sexual Topics

There should be an Archive, the Health and Fitness Forum, Suggestions and Feedback and Moderator Forums.

Moderation would need to be strict with firm reminders to follow the rules.

I just think if there were more structure it would take care of most of the problems people are complaining about. And the private messaging would allow anyone to send a message to other members without having an e-mail address. There would be less posts made to one person to ask them questions since it could be done privately.

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Okay, one more suggestion from me:

Keep everything the way it is except for three things:

1. Get rid of the success stories section (keep those mixed with the main area).

2. Get rid of the tips section. Yes the tips section made a lot of sense BEFORE they invented the DJ Bible. It gave people a place to go for a high concentration of useful stuff. It is now obsolete and superceded by a better idea--the DJ Bible. So essentiall the tips section should be replaced by pages that link you to useful "tip like" posts *wherever* those posts may be.

3. Add a "special" discussion area where people go to discuss some topic with the understanding that the participation in each thread will be limited, and that is enforced by the moderator. We can define a variety of "groups" on the site consisting of people who are invited to be a member of that group. Eg., the "LTR group" or the "advanced pickup strategies group" etc.

Then when you post a thread in the "Special Discussions" area, you mention in the header or at least in the initial post exactly which of these "defined groups" you want to hear from. And it might be good to have some convenient way to let those group members know that their input is being solicited.

This approach isn't as "grand" as the others, but by the same token it is very doable and flexible and would impose the least amount of burden on Allen to implement and maintain.

What do you all think???

DeepBlue

NeXuS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, having been here for a while, and having read most of the posts in the thread (skipped the flameing), here's what I think.

The first thing that Allan can do to improve the forums is simply upgrade. Not a big deal, and he's probably planning it anyway.

The second thing deals with the problem about newbies overrunning the joint. Now, before I propose something, I shall state again that I have no idea how Allan makes money. Therefore, I don't know exactly what would be in his best interest for the forum. In any case, here are some of my suggestions to curb the inflow of newbs.

The Simple Plan: Create a master DJ forum, limit to people who have either (a) been here for a certain length of time, or (b) posted a certain amount. (a) is preferable in my opinion.

The Select Population: Close registration, meaning no one who doesn't currently have an account will be able to post, yet they will still be able to view the forums (and thus increase the site's traffic without cluttering the forums). However, obviously new people will need to be let in. Therefore, state specifically that registration will be open at (insert time of day, specific day - e.g. 7-9 pm wednesday est), letting anyone who honestly desires to post here have a chance to register an account. You can do this weekly.

The Darwin Effect (to be used in conjunction with one of the aforementioned ideas): First, give mods the power to ban members. Then you create a FAQ clearly outlining procedure in the forums (nothing highly offensive, don't ask questions that have been asked umpteenth times, etc). And then you ban anyone who doesn't follow the rules. The people who get a general idea of the forum before posting will know exactly what is or isn't acceptable, and the people who detract from the forum will be weeded out and crushed like bugs under the swift heel of justice and truth (got carried away
. Bans will have to be reversable should a mod make a mistake or ban unjustly.

Oh, and current things that should stay/go.
Main discussion - stay
high school - needs to stay for hs djs
tips - should go, no reason it can't exist in main discussion
success stories - merge with main discussion
archive of good posts - should stay.
Misc forums (health, anything else, feedback) - Those are decent. Should stay. Feedback should only be feedback however, not one of the many requests to ban X member or remove Wyldfire and other women from the forums.

I also disagree with Wyldfire's ideas about Dj forums related to DJ skill level (with the exception of a highschool forum and a possible select master forum). Have one main forum, people will know whose advice is useful and whose is not.

That's all I got.

[This message has been edited by NeXuS (edited 04-08-2002).]

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Without a Tips section for moderators to move useful tips to it will be harder for Neo to locate threads to include in the bible. Eliminating the Tips forum would require too much work for him to update UNLESS members submitted requests for certain threads to be put into the Bible. This would require a real commitment from everyone on the forum to make it work.
I'm going to alter my suggestion a bit.

Beginning DJ Section:

Advice and Questions Forum
General Beginner DJ Discussion/Tips

High School DJ Section:

Advice and Questions
General HS DJ Discussion/Tips

Advanced DJ Section:

Advice and Questions
General Advanced DJ Discussion/Tips

General Site Section:

FAQ
Suggestions and Feedback
Anything Else
Sexual Topics
Health/Fitness
Moderators

[This message has been edited by Wyldfire (edited 04-08-2002).]

NeXuS

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wyldfire:
Wyldfire's idea
Are you proposing that everything listed under a section is a seperate forum? Or that there will only be 4 main forums? I'll respond to both anyway.

For the former, too many forums means that a large portion of the specialized ones will just be ignored, much like the old bartending forum, and before that the mature college DJ forum, and the humor forum, not to mention the current success stories forum. Hence why I oppose your idea. I think that similar forums can be lumped together (e.g. tips and general discussion) without comprimising either one.

If it was the latter, 4 forums just isn't enough. (I don't believe this was your point however).

DeepBlue

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I still like my idea the best. (That last one I proposed in this thread.)

And in general I don't like the idea of segmenting forums into subsections.

Why?

Because I know of other sites that do, and I've never seen it work well in practice.

That sort of organization is EXCELLENT to have when you impose it upon a body of written material AFTER it has been written and collected and sifted through.

But it stifles creativity and posting to be trying to pour your thoughts into some rigid organizational mold right as you're generating it. It's due to a psychological distinction between the creative phase of writing and the editing & organizational phase.

When I post I don't want to have to think about and definitevely decide whether my post relates to intermediate concepts or beginner concepts. Also I may start out talking about a beginner concept, and end up with something more advanced.

Also, what everyone wants and needs when they post is for the maximum number of people to see their post, increasing the odds that it will strike a resonant chord in someone out there who then responds.

And to an extent, the bigger the forum the greater the chance of that happening.

Creating lots of little forums works against that principle.

Wherever I've seen these subdivisions happen, everyone ends up posting most of their stuff in the "main" or "general" forum, and some of the energy of the group gets siphoned off into arguments over where a post really should have gone.

DeepBlue

Gipper

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DeepBlue:
I still like my idea the best. (That last one I proposed in this thread.)

And in general I don't like the idea of segmenting forums into subsections.

Why?

Because I know of other sites that do, and I've never seen it work well in practice.

That sort of organization is EXCELLENT to have when you impose it upon a body of written material AFTER it has been written and collected and sifted through.

But it stifles creativity and posting to be trying to pour your thoughts into some rigid organizational mold right as you're generating it. It's due to a psychological distinction between the creative phase of writing and the editing & organizational phase.

When I post I don't want to have to think about and definitevely decide whether my post relates to intermediate concepts or beginner concepts. Also I may start out talking about a beginner concept, and end up with something more advanced.

Also, what everyone wants and needs when they post is for the maximum number of people to see their post, increasing the odds that it will strike a resonant chord in someone out there who then responds.

And to an extent, the bigger the forum the greater the chance of that happening.

Creating lots of little forums works against that principle.

Wherever I've seen these subdivisions happen, everyone ends up posting most of their stuff in the "main" or "general" forum, and some of the energy of the group gets siphoned off into arguments over where a post really should have gone.

DeepBlue
Well said.

Gipper

TheRockStar

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
") i think that the forums should stay the way they are. people should just post whatever questions they have and the more experienced people should try to help as best they can. i answer a few posts. however i do not answer the ones that i really dont know what to tell them. what i do think should be added is a B**ching forum for all the people who complain, whine, argue, flame, or do anything else than offer advice/constructive criticism(not sure i spelled that right) that way anyone who starts an argument, fight, bashfest, or just generally starts whining could go there and come back when they have released there excess testosterone.

------------------
Got a drum life?

"No little perv bull**** is gonna work with this one, you gotta play it smooth, be Don Juan de la Nootch"- Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

T Dog

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I too haven't been as active on the board as when I first got here. There is a learning curve that many newbies never get past, but for those of us who do, I see them fading out after about 3 months. For me, there are fewer and fewer posts that keep me engaged.

Of the Advanced DJ's topics that are posted they never have any follow through or in-depth discussion. I don't know if a dedicated section would work any better.

One of my pet peeves is that when I post something and a bunch of newbies chime in and say this and that on the subject, like Freewill, (no offence) and are barely old enough to have hair on their balls, much less the life experience I have.

I would like to know some criteria of the members posting in an advance DJ forum like, age, degree, profession, number of ltr's, number of girls the DJ has been with or dated in the last 6 months, ect. Nothing worse than having a High School kid telling me (I'm 29) how to pick up chicks!

Also I would like to assume that those in advance dj forum have the basics down. One-tis is reoccurring problem for DJ's of all experience levels, but finding the one girl is a goal for some DJ's, ie DeepBlue, Gipper, myself sometimes. DJism is used to wed out those girls who aren't what we are looking for, it doesn't mean we don't know or don't follow that rule. Because we (I) do.

Would the advance DJ forum be a secret society? An invisible link that only the members know about? Any member could tell anyone he thinks is ready, who could make a valuable contribution to the discussion.

And that means Wyldfire can't nominate any newbie's she feels sorry for.

T Dog