Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Help With Getting Back LTR Girl Who Left But Now Wants Space

Alpmeyda

Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I know this is a regular problem, but I believe that every situation has it's unique details which can change everything. So here I go.

Just to start, I'm 20, and the girl is also 20. The relationship was a first and special one for both of us. Full of excitement, holidays, ups and downs, good sex and laughter too. We had broken up for like 12 hours, getting back together realising it was just because of a string of stupid arguments.

But after nearly five years since we first dated she left me on Wednesday 14 Jan, to my shock. I'd realised that she wasn't as responsive to my acts of love recently, perhaps because I increased them, but this break up came as a shock. Her reasoning was that "she doesn't have the same feelings for me anymore". She said she was thinking about it for a while and decided this was the best thing to do. She fitted this in right after my exam at university, and before a presentation on Thursday and another on Friday! Great timing, as you can see. She told me in my car, in 15 minutes, as she had to go to work. Nice timing again!

So, I because I love her so much and think she is my girl, I collapsed that night and especially the next day as it sunk in to me. I was crying and very emotional as I left for my presentation. I was in the worst state of mind possible. I rang her up that morning once I got to university. I couldn't help myself. I was crying and I wanted her back. A BIG NO-NO. I KNOW! I asked for reasons, she brought up things about her parents moving away and that I haven't supported her as she begins a new chapter in her life. I accepted I may have been insensitive. I'm ashamed of my weak behaviour that day, and the next day, when I took some flowers to her work place, with a message saying "I love you, let's work it out". She replied with an sms saying "The roses are beautiful, thank you so much. I hope you are ok."

I called her again. She was at work obviously so it wasn't the best situation for us to talk. I said I deserved better explanations etc. She said she needs space and time to think.

Saturday. A new man. With advice from sosuave.com, my mother and my friend I realised who I am. A good looking, intelligent, funny guy who stands out around these parts. I hadn't done anything wrong. So I said to myself "you want space, you've got it". No contact on Saturday.

Sunday, at 11.30, I get this exact sms: "Hey you. How are you? I've been doing a lot of thinking and I would really like to chat. I will call later to arrange a time. xxx". I didn't reply. At 3.30, I get this sms: "Would you like to meet up?" I didn't reply. This was all part of my playing-confident, cool, challenging Alp [my name].

At around 7pm, I sms'ed saying "I was out all day and I left my phone at home so I could think more. Ring me when you get this message". But I was't out at all really. As you can see, her message was a lot warmer than mine. I made sure of this.

So in a few minutes she rang, she was at work. I sounded confident too. She asked how I was, I said I went out with friends and had a good time. She said she stayed at a friend's house on Saturday and went to a disco on Friday but was in a bad mood all weekend. She said she is lonely. So I said, "what are you saying. why do you want to talk. have you had your space?" She said "I wanted to talk for you. It is fair on you if we talk, like you said on Friday [when Alp was weak and begging and just being a complete nobody]." I said: "I already know of ways we can work this out, but I'm not going to list them if you still feel the same. I'm ready to move on, I'm a confident person and I'm comfortable. Have you had enough space?" She said "she still needs time", so I said "well ring me when you have your space. I will be doing different things this week, I might go away this weekend and the weekend after." She says: "Yeah but you can still call me if you want, I won't ignore you." I said: "No. I'm not going to call you. You said you want space and time so I'm giving it."

I also told her timing was wrong with my exams and all, but she said "I can't help the way I feel", and half-heartedly apologised for her bad timing. She also said she has been thinking of ways to work it out too, but still needs time for some stupid reason!

Monday, no contact despite real temptations on my side. I'm still giving her space. I know she still loves me and I love her. But what I want to know is, how much space and time is normal? What if I see her at a club tomorrow night? What do I say? When should I contact her, if at all? I want her back, and I will make myself a challenge to her for real if she does come back.

Fellow Don Juan's, give me feedback, wherever you are.

Gangster Of Love

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How much space to give her? Man, you are counting every single minute. You are too eager. Need space means you don't bother her for at least 2-3 weeks. If you call her ever 2-3 days, or talk to her, you haven't given her enough time for anything.

When she says she doesn't feel the same as before, she really is saying she's lost interest in you, and at this time there is very little, if anything, you can do. A lot of times walking away is the best thing you can do.

I know it is not easy for you, but being able to walk away is probably the best thing you will learn from this that will be helping you in the future.

Let some time pass by, don't break down everything you do on your own. Let her creative imagination work for you. The less she knows, the better.

DJ_Dork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When a girl wants space - she either wants to let you down slowly and sees what you do. She could also be testing you. If you CALL back (I didn't read your long ass post, dude I got places to go..) like you did.. you validate yourself as "beggar" - I've had a girl who told me "I need space" too - and guess what? I just stopped calling, she called me 10 days later asking why I haven't contacted her.. my simply reply "You wanted space" - she later went asking me to drink some coffee with her.. it's all good after that.

Dude you messed up royally too by telling her "You asked for space so I WILL GIVE IT TO YOU" that's like saying "Your my master, I obey all your commands"

If you want to salvage this, DO NOT CONTACT HER AT ALL. Even ignore the first call she puts out. Also keep an open mind on other girls too.

E-Z Rider

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJ_Dork

Let me highlight/detract some statements from people who have already responded, then add some of my own.

When a girl wants space - she either wants to let you down slowly and sees what you do. She could also be testing you. If you CALL back (I didn't read your long ass post, dude I got places to go..) like you did.. you validate yourself as "beggar" - I've had a girl who told me "I need space" too - and guess what? I just stopped calling, she called me 10 days later asking why I haven't contacted her.. my simply reply "You wanted space" - she later went asking me to drink some coffee with her.. it's all good after that.

This is overall pretty accurate...but after 5 yrs its doubtful this is a test. So its most likely she wants to let you down slowly. But that doesn't mean that its *over* neccessarily...the statement of "I need space" is actually a pretty true statement in this case, not so much '********'. She won't, however, be able or willing to explain to you WHY she needs space, but I think we all know the answer to that.

Dude you messed up royally too by telling her "You asked for space so I WILL GIVE IT TO YOU" that's like saying "Your my master, I obey all your commands"

Eh, I don't think it's that big of a deal. He didn't say it with a "servant" mentality...more like "I know you want to talk to me, but I'm going to make you stick to your word. Suffer."

If you want to salvage this, DO NOT CONTACT HER AT ALL. Even ignore the first call she puts out. Also keep an open mind on other girls too.
Very true.

Gangster of Love is very right about walking away being a good choice. It's really a win-win; if you walk away, you become more self-sufficient (out of neccessity) and are open to new opportunities. Additionally, this chick will respond better the less you try to get her back (as you've already seen on a small scale). So you have about a 100% chance of winding up happy if you walk away.

To this point, your sudden apathy towards her is pretty fake. You admitted this- you still have a desire to buy her boquets and beg her to come back, but you're ACTING like you know you *should* be. And while a woman may fall for the act for a time, it produces infinetly better results when you actually BECOME the act- i.e. you move on and get on with your life.

Let me point something else out- she most likely has another guy. Not saying she cheated on you, but she is more than likely feeling attraction for another guy. Women rarely lose IL in a man without gaining it for another. This guy could be a total chump and she ends up hating him within the week and wants you back completely. Or he could be pretty good, a DJ even, and she'll never look back. It happens.

So possibly, no matter how good your game is, you could still wind up losing her. Another reason to just move on with your life.

So...how DO you 'move on'? It's gotta be hard as hell after 5 yrs...I had trouble after 6 months. But the basic principles are the same. Minimize contact with this chick for the forseeable future. If there's a night spot she frequents, don't go there. This isn't for her benefit, but for yours. You see her, and all things come flooding back to your mind. You don't want that, it sucks.

Get rid of reminders you might be hanging onto. Pictures, gifts she's given you...put them somewhere away and don't ever go to look at them.

That's easy stuff...the hardest part is staying really busy. The greatest feeling when you're trying to 'get over' a girl is when after a busy day you get home and the realization hits that for the past 12 hours you haven't even THOUGHT about her! It's really empowering. So stay busy- friends, school, job, working out, clubs, groups, hobbies, what have you. Work overtime...something, ANYTHING other than being lazy and thinking about her, or ways to get her back.

Become a better person. There are numerous posts on this forum about self-improvement. It's hard but worth it. You will gain confidence.

If the opportuntiy knowcks, date other women. Just don't do anything stupid with them b/c you're trying to get over your ex. Casual dating is all.

Then just give it some time. It'll pass.

Now- she'll more than likely contact you. Treat these contacts kind of like you would a girl you are just starting to talk to. Short conversations, keep them fun and interesting, be your confident self, but avoid talking about serious issues for a while. And if she really wants to talk about those serious issues, then keep it kind of brief and don't try to solve her problems. Just be kind of vague and like "we'll see".

Your overall attitude towards her should be: You'll selectively answer her calls but WON'T return them (unless it's REALLY important, life-or-death), you WON'T initiate any kind of contact, you will never initiate discussion about "those" topics and will evade those discussions in general, and you will be the first to end the conversations.

Anytime you feel a longing for her or some other harmful non-productive emotion, go do something. If it's late at night, go do 400 pushups or something. Anything, just do something.

If she seems like she really wants to talk and work things out, make sure you do it in person. Your prescence and personality are much stronger in person. And if she does come out and say "I want you back"...be kind of weary. Say that you didn't appreciate what she did, and then say you need to think about it. Basically, let her know that she has something to prove.

If you think at that point you want to give her the green light, take her on some nice action dates where you can really build up the kino and attraction. If at any point she looks like she wants you to kiss her, avoid the situation. Keep the dates short and leave her wanting more. Then if you want to go for it, kiss her brains out. But I'd advise not to jump back into a "relationship". Probably I would just date her for a while.

Do all of this and you'll be a happy man whether this chick comes back or not.

Hope this helps- -E-Z

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are two Scenarios here. 1 - you were too much of a chump.
2 - she has found another guy. Dont tell me either are impossible.

This girl is young and immature. 5 years with her from a young age has made her confused. Dont even wait 2 - 3 weeks. You HAVE to move on. Although I know you will give into temptation and ring her, most soft guys do. You have to not ring her, and HONESTLY get on with your life. Think of all the bad points also, not just the good times, all the fighting etc. Try and detatch yourself from her. Do this for months and months, and she might POSSIBLY fall for u again. Seeing you are an independent confident guy once more.

If you turn into a chump after weeks and weeks of these "games". You will loose her for good. And remember, to you these are GAMES, to her she is not playing games, her emotions are too low to bother. She has simply lost inerest, therefore it will be MUCH harder for u to take this "time apart". This is why you MUST detatch yourself from her, move on with your life, and ACTUALLY MOVE ON. After a few months of doing this, you will feel your emotions fall. She is not worth it in the long run if she is already this unstable.

Plus you are ONLY 20, you still have many years to fall in love many times over again.

Good luck champ.

NMMWCR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, so I didn't actually read your post. I got as far as the title: Help With Getting Back LTR Girl Who Left But Now Wants Space and already had my response formed.

When a girl says she wants space the only thing to do is GIVE IT TO HER. Give her space. Let her have the gift of missing you. Don't call, email, talk to her for 2-3 weeks. Hang out with your buds. Catch up with old girlfriends. Have a Playstation marathon.

When a few weeks have passed, arrange a group thing with some friends. Movie night, pool night, whatever. Ask her if she wants to join the crowd as a friend/guest cause you miss having her as a friend. You'll know very soon after that if "space" was a polite way of blowing you off or if you two are still on. You do ANYTHING else to try to stay in with this girl, you kill it.

Nightspark

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
E - Z Rider has hit the nail on the head!

ok so basically u have TRIED to buy her love back with roses and calling her bla bla bla ... u basically turned into a nice guy for those few weeks or days or whateva... NOT a good idea! tHEN you had an epiphany and shifted urr way of thinking and regained the path of a DJ... well done to you!

NOW comes your biggest challange! NOW YOU must act busy... you must remove all of her trinkets from your room or house and basically forget her and keep yourself busy (as E - Z Rider Put it)... go out with other women.. go about your normal life! anything to get rid of her from your mind... yes it will be a hard task especially for a 5yr relationship...

Show that you are not really interested... No calls! No Communication! NO SEEING HER AT ALL!... she'll soon realize (that's if she does not have an intrest for another guy) that she's missing you! (i know as fvcked up women are they still miss old loves especially recent ones) then it will be the time to act!

After all those weeks of appearing with a zero intrest level will give you two choices...

1) You can continue with the new life without her... by the time you will have to act you will most likely have someone else in your life... if not then i guess you've probably realised that you do not need her in yours anymore and that you have 100% moved on...

2) You can go back to her... this is out of my league as i have not had any 1st hand at this one yet... But i tell you this... in this period of time basically you're to remind her of what yous two had in the past... but E - Z put it best

I'm sort of in your situation now... but i'm not after my Ex... just want to see what would happen if i start ignoring her... so far the girl has shown signs she still wants to talk to me... heh go figure i guess....

anyways good luck dude!

Alpmeyda

Reaction score
Thank you very much to all of you for your help. There's no progress yet as I only posted the message here last night. I will continue not to make any contact with her.

I really doubt there is another guy. But who knows, she may be interested in another one and have had a spark inside for him. I had asked her if that was the case in my two emotional days and she said no.

Should something happen with me I will update you fellow DJ's.

Keep your posts coming.

NewMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EZ Rider is right on.

But after nearly five years since we first dated she left me on Wednesday 14 Jan, to my shock. I'd realised that she wasn't as responsive to my acts of love recently, perhaps because I increased them, but this break up came as a shock. Her reasoning was that "she doesn't have the same feelings for me anymore". She said she was thinking about it for a while and decided this was the best thing to do. She fitted this in right after my exam at university, and before a presentation on Thursday and another on Friday! Great timing, as you can see. She told me in my car, in 15 minutes, as she had to go to work. Nice timing again!

A good one to note here - Women are done with the relationship WAY before they tell the guy about it. She's had Low Interest in you for a while before she broke it up with you.

Guy's really have to have their eyes open - and should see this comming before it happens.

She said "I wanted to talk for you. It is fair on you if we talk, like you said on Friday [when Alp was weak and begging and just being a complete nobody]." I said: "I already know of ways we can work this out, but I'm not going to list them if you still feel the same. I'm ready to move on, I'm a confident person and I'm comfortable. Have you had enough space?" She said "she still needs time", so I said "well ring me when you have your space. I will be doing different things this week, I might go away this weekend and the weekend after." She says: "Yeah but you can still call me if you want, I won't ignore you." I said: "No. I'm not going to call you. You said you want space and time so I'm giving it."

Listen to what she is telling you.

She's not interested in getting back with you - but she still wants to talk to you.

You see she is feeling lonely - she is hurting for this loss - but she will feel a lot better after talking to you. If you allow her to talk to you - then you lose. She gets what she wants (emotional support) - because your going to tell her that you love her - that you want her back etc. etc. etc. - so she will feel good about herself and still know that you are there for her.

You get heartache - you will talk to her and miss her even more.

The only way is to break it off completely. Don't talk to her or take her calls - until you are emotionaly able to handle it all.

Thats going to take time.

In the meantime hang sith friends - be around people - take new class's - hobbies etc. Just keep busy. Get out there.

Reaction score
Alp,

There has been good advice given to you here, because every guy has been in your shoes (don't take that statement literally).

Do not contact her, as stated already 1000 times here...if you don't contact her then she knows you are willing to accept the break-uo as a man and move forward in life without her. If you come to her on bended knees than she'll see you as needy - and woman hate this!

Next time a chick tells you that she needs space, tell her that she should become an astronaut!!!

"Need space", means I have another man and I don't need you around me to spoil my chances with this guy. She left you for a reason and lost feelings for you for a reason...why? You been with her since 15 and now she is a woman and would like to experience other men, so to speak - play the field....that's why she went out clubbing...if she don't have a man right now (which I doubt), then she has her eye on one. She liked you as a child, but once you become a woman you put childish things away (infactuation) and look for something else.

She don't want to marry you, if that is what you are looking for from her - she doesn't see you as husband material - maybe she is just bored and is looking for excitement in another encounter.
In any case you don't want a woman with this mindset. I personally advise you against getting back with her, it'll just be forced and not out of her will and desire for you, but only because she is lonely at the time or because of your supplications and she don't wantyou to be devastated. This reunion would be short-lived and temporary!

If 5 years of knowing you and devotion to you didn't keep her what makes you think that there is going to be a sincere change of heart. Let me be blunt - once a girl says she 'lost ' feelings for you thiose feelings will never return...no matter what she tells you if she returns to you, she is lying! She has been thinking about this break-up for months, if not years (trust me on this) - she has thought about this long and hard and accept your fate, if you don't want to destroy your heart.

Go ahead and cry - hit some walls -yell and scream - pull your hair out. Let it all out because 1 year from now you are going to be in a much more positive frame of mind and have a new outlook on life and probably a new mate. If you say you are all the things that you say you are, you just might find a better woman than she, better in physical form, mind, and heart. You are 20 your love life is far from over, but you feel the way you do because you were a child when you met and she has become one fourth of your entire life (5/20) but in actually she has been 71.4% of your your young manhood since 13 (5/7). So I understand your pain it is expectied and it should hurt.

This is normal behavior, so is trying to get her back.
But although normal it is counterproductive to your long term goal of having a fruitful relatiionship with one that will give her total being to you. She lost feelings for you (where did they go? Feelings aren't a pair of keys.) that means she cannot and does not want to give you her all. Lost cause bro, if you want a woman that is devoted to you and will not be disloyal. If you accept this chick back expect to be cheated on and deceived in the future. I'll expect you back here 8 months from now telling us how she was sleeping with another guy for the last 6 months. Just don't tell us that you were shocked!

You have been forewarned!

Alpmeyda

Reaction score
Ok, if she HAS cheated on me or she is INTERESTED/FLIRTING with another guy, will she ever edmit to this? And how would I go about finding this out? How should I ask, I mean?

trajhenkhet

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Walk away while dignity is still yours.

Reaction score
Don't ask if she is seeing someone else - this would be pointless!

Do investigation - if you care to - but this would be diffiucult at this point because she already broke-up with. Is there any of her friends that you can confide in - do this in person - if there facial expressions show you or there words say I don't want to get involved - then you know something is going on.

Does she have a change in attitude - rude, uncaring. Try to figure out why she lost interest!

SemperFi719

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Alpmeyda
Ok, if she HAS cheated on me or she is INTERESTED/FLIRTING with another guy, will she ever edmit to this? And how would I go about finding this out? How should I ask, I mean?
As PRLover said, searching for "the truth" would just be a waste of your time. If this girl has cheated on you once, how can you HONESTLY know that if you guys get back together she wont do it again once she gets bored? Fact of the matter is, if she cheated on you once, it was for a reason. Whatever that reason was, shouldn't be a concern to you. What you should be concerned with is making yourself a better man and going out there and gettin them girlz.
One thing you should keep in mind: Imagine that this girl DID cheat on you. How would you feel if you busted your balls to find if she cheated on you, and you find out she did. Will that make you feel better? Just the shear fact that you have a hunch she cheated on you should be enough. Right now you have the ball in your court. She was a major part of your life but the feelings she once had went away, and you should be able to move on. Best of luck bro!

NMMWCR

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You were with this girl 5 years?

That puts you WAY beyond any stage of 'alpha' meaning anything even if it ever did. Don't let your ego get in the way of basic logic. She asked for space, you have to give it to her.

Your relationship is most likely dead (sorry, brother) but you have a lot of latitude in defining what 'dead' is going to mean. She could become a friend, a release valve lover, someone you can count on for a female point of view on your new women, someone you lose track of, a bitter enemy :-(, or just maybe someone you get back together with.

I think you need to use this time away from her to do some serious self exploration. Reacquaint yourself with who precisely alpmeyda is when he is away from his girl. What precisely has changed about you in the last 5 years. Evaluate your growth as a person. Ask yourself those hard questions about who you really are and who you want to become. And in the absence of having her as your girlfriend, which of the above options are you going to pursue? It is going to be more up to you than to her where you fall between enemy and dear friend.

Just make the decision with your head from an emotionally detached state. You are experiencing a difficult time. That difficulty can be destructive and withering, or you can use it to make yourself stronger. Totally, 100%, your choice.

Alpmeyda

Reaction score
Thank you to all of you who took the time to write here.

There is still no contact between us since Sunday. I get very emotional sometimes, especially when I'm on my own, but I resist the temptation to contact her. As E-Z Rider said, I'm acting, but I have to now become the act. I don't know how long this is going to take, but hell it's going to be tough.

Any more thoughts? I value them greatly.

Trogdawg

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't hide your emotions Alp. It doesn't do anything but make it harder to deal with. Just try to not let them show in public and especially for her to know about them. In a relationship the person who cares the least runs the show. So If she calls you it means she cares, but if you continue to act like you could give a shiat you'll probably win.

I do understand how you feel about her and this whole situation. You want her back so bad that it feels like you'll die without her. Well, you won't but that's how your heart feels. That is the hardest part about your situation. If you can control that part of you, you've won. Just realize that you might not get her back, and, well you'll still be alive. It won't kill you.

After five years, that really sux. I think what happens a lot of the times with this "my feelings have changed" crap is because people don't realize that your love has matured to a comfort level. Sometimes your deeply passionately in love, other times you are not. It comes and goes but it's still there. Honestly, do you really think infatuation will last forever. Yes, it comes back often but it's not going to be with you every second until you die.

Take the advice given above, GET BUSY.

take care,
Trogs

Alpmeyda

Reaction score
Thanks Trogs, I'm being as busy as I can.

But I've wondered about this possibility. I know she is much more busy than I am at the moment. She even has more friends to socialise with. Could it be that she is using this "space to think" to ignore her feelings for me? She will contact me, but I haven't got a clue when. I just want to know what state of mind she's in.

I know we were in the comfort zone. But I think she doesn't understand the concept.

PlayerSupreme

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by CLOONEY
There are two Scenarios here. 1 - you were too much of a chump.
2 - she has found another guy. Dont tell me either are impossible.

This girl is young and immature. 5 years with her from a young age has made her confused. Dont even wait 2 - 3 weeks. You HAVE to move on. Although I know you will give into temptation and ring her, most soft guys do. You have to not ring her, and HONESTLY get on with your life. Think of all the bad points also, not just the good times, all the fighting etc. Try and detatch yourself from her. Do this for months and months, and she might POSSIBLY fall for u again. Seeing you are an independent confident guy once more.

If you turn into a chump after weeks and weeks of these "games". You will loose her for good. And remember, to you these are GAMES, to her she is not playing games, her emotions are too low to bother. She has simply lost inerest, therefore it will be MUCH harder for u to take this "time apart". This is why you MUST detatch yourself from her, move on with your life, and ACTUALLY MOVE ON. After a few months of doing this, you will feel your emotions fall. She is not worth it in the long run if she is already this unstable.

Plus you are ONLY 20, you still have many years to fall in love many times over again.

Good luck champ.
This is good advice. I hope he takes it. When women want space it means they are shopping around to see if they can trade up. She got bored in the relationship. She is ready to see how well she can do on the market.

This kid needs to accept the fact that another man may be hitting that real soon. Even though she says she loves him

She only called him to check to see how desperate for her he was. I think he did good when he didn't return her call.

To the kid:

Next time she rings:

Answer the phone in a sleepy voice. Pretend she is someone else and say to her that you had a good time last night at the movies but your trying to sleep.

This will put that ho on check and open her eyes that your not suffering. She will come by to see you in person to validate that "
she" is still number 1 in your life.

You also have to face reality kid. Women get bored. And boredom is death to a relationship....EVEN when they proffess this undying love for you.

She can still love you while another man is pounding away into her...I know that thought hurts but it is a new reality for you to face. Women are loving creatures...they have enough for several men.

You do need to start shopping around also like she "IS" doing. She is young and wants to have fun...not stuck in some stuffy boring relationship. Read my post on Keeping the fires lit.

My motto is two can play that game.