Fugly's lifting journal...

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nice work, why so many attempts over 400? If you'd not bothered with 415, 425, 430, I reckon you could have gone higher than your last of 435.

Interesting to note your powercleans, is that about your best?

And how lean are you if you don't mind my asking?

Seems we are very close, keep up the good work. Race to 500?

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks Quag. That's a great point that you raised. To be honest, I have no idea why I did so many above 400. My thinking was since my back wasn't at 100% I'd advance by small increments to see what I could get to. I didn't go higher than 435 as this was closing in on a personal all time best, and I wasn't confident I could go higher. I hate failing on deadlift. I'll attempt a bigger weight when I'm at 100%.

I think my personal best on powerclean is 235. I usually won't do more than 215-220 unless I have a platform and rubber weights to work with. I'll usually only do singles with anything above 205. Its funny powercleaning what guys that are 15-20 lbs heavier than me are deadlifting!

I'm on cycle right now, so I'm relatively lean. I can fit comfortably into 30-31" size pants and have decent vascularity through out my arms, shoulders and legs. I plan on doing a photoshoot in August some time, so I'll post pictures then. At 175-180 right now. This is the biggest, leanest and arguably strongest I've ever been. My joint issues have kind of been holding my strength gains back a little, but everyone has challenges to overcome.

I've never been able to deadlift above the (2.5-2.6 x BW) range. For me to attempt 500, I think I'd have to gain another 15-20 lbs. This is not in my immediate plans. However, I'll definitely take you up on 1 RM deadlift race!

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cool.

We are pretty close although I am fatter and you are slightly ahead, with deads at least.

You can deadlift 500lbs at this bw. If Lamar Grant did 700ish at 132, we can do 500+ at the 180ish mark.

Just need to keep it going...

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Trained squat/chin ups today.

This is my third day in a row. I'm pretty waxed and sore, but determined to make it through the work out.

Warm up:

5 min stationary bike
Quad stretches.
Abductor/adductor stretches.
Lower back stretches.

Hang clean to full front squat:

135 x 5
185 x 3 (these were surprisingly taxing)

Alternated squats w/ weighted chin ups. Light core work and stretching.

Front squat:

205 x 6
225 x 4 (sore knee!)

ATG back squat:

245 x 5 (4 sets)
For the back squat I'd do 1-2 reps and have to rest for a bit just to make sure I wouldn't tweak something in my lower back on the way up.

Chin ups:

(BW + 100) x 6
(BW + 100) x 5
(BW + 100) x 6.5 (Didn't get full flexion on the last rep)
(BW + 100) x 6.5

Pistols:

(30 x 2) x 5 (2 sets)

Bicep curls:

30/side x 10. (3 sets)

Reverse curl:

30 lb barbell x 10 (surprisingly hard!)

I have shows coming up the next couple of nights so will have to try and do some cardio! Other than that I think I'll take a couple of days off.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
July 26:

Had a couple of days of rest from my last work out, but did end up doing a few stagettes this weekend so got at least some cardio. I chose to go to the gym today instead of rowing because of some errands that got in the way during practice.

Prosterior chain wasn't at 100% and haven't been sleeping great so instead of deadlifts today I did my push pull day.

Warm up:

Core work - leg raises and reverse crunches (3 sets each)
Hang clean:

135 x 3
185 x 3

Incline dumbell bench press alternating w/ one arm bent over dumbell row:

Incline press:

100 lb dumbells x 5
100 x 6 (personal best!)
100 x 5

Row:
100 lb dumbells x 5
100 x 6
100 x 5

super setted incline press w/ some light lateral raises for delts. Was pleasantly surprised at my strength today.

Reverse grip bench:

155 x 6
165 x 6 (felt strong! Personal best. Will go up next work out)

Bodywt. pull ups alternating w/ hammer strength shoulder press:

50 lbs/side x 6
50 x 6
50 x 5

Pull ups:

BW x 22
BW x 12
BW x 12

Haven't done bodyweight pull ups in a long time! They're nice and easy, but I was quite fatigued for my second and third set.

Finished with some light pistols, core work and pull overs.

Not sure what I'll train next. Will attempt deadlift depending on prosterior chain status.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update: July 29th. Deadlift/dips today

I have lots of shows coming up in the next few weeks so gotta make sure I'm in good shape. I had quite a few shows last weekend and my crappy conditioning is starting to catch up with me as I was pretty tired afterwards! I still have abs and stuff, but I'm close to 180 lbs, but I'm used to dancing at 165-170 so the extra 10-15 lbs doesn't help!

My right shoulder is in really crappy shape right now so I'm not sure how my next few work outs will be.

Warm up:

Hang clean, bodyweight pistols, light core work and lower back stretches

hang clean:
135 x 5
185 x 3

BW pistols: 3 x side

Deadlifts were alternated with dips. For simplicity's sake I'll list my lifts for each exercise separately.

Deadlift:

1 RM attempts:

315 x 1
405 x 1
425 x 1
445 x 1 (This is a PB! The lock out wasn't great as I felt like my grip was slipping but I definitely got it to the top! Will try 455 soon!)

Work sets:
365 x 6
385 x 5
385 x 6
315 x 8 (surprisingly tiring!)

Dips: 6 sets altogether.

- (BW + 115) x 5
- (BW + 115) x 7
- (BW + 115) x 6
- (BW + 115) x 5
- super slow dip (15 seconds up/15 seconds down)
- BW x 26 (I've never tried doing max reps for bodyweight dips before)

Pistols jumping onto an 18" box (3/side): did 2 sets per side.

Tricep kickbacks:

25 x 12/side for 2 sets each side.

Finished with some core work and lower back stretches.

Squat/chin up day is next depending on how I feel. Post work out weight was around 176.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Great deadlift, but I think something like:

Working up to 315x1,

360x1

405x1, then the

445x1

On paper this saves the CNS for the final lift. Maybe you like warming up close to the max attempt, but I still wouldn't jump 315-405.

Still, good lift. And the rep work is admirable. I'm not surprised 315x8 was hard after all the other sets.

Keep it up.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanx quag, why not jump from 315 to 405 though? I know I can do weights in those ranges no problem and I find I'm at my strongest for my early sets, so I like to apply myself to heavy weights when I'm at my best.

Still you raise a good point about doing too many close to my 1RM. I think its just a confidence thing for me because I get scared to attempt new PBs!

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Its just a more thourough warm up which decreases the risk of injury. From my reading on warm ups, 90lbs is too much of a jump in the 400-500 range.

Heres an example from :

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3404

"Here is a warm-up for a 425 lb squat or bench press:

45 x 5 x 2
95 x 3 x 2
135 x 3
185 x 3
225 x 3
275 x 1
315 x 1
365 x 1
425 x 1"

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's lotsa sets for a 1 RM quag. I'll have to try something like that but a bit more abbreviated...

Update:

Haven't been posting much as I've been really busy with work.

Highlights from last few work outs:

385 x 6 (for 4 sets) after working a busy 12 hour shift and only getting 3-4 hours of sleep the night before. I like to be fresh before deadlift day, but sometimes things don't go as planned. I was happy I was able to do these despite being tired.

Reverse grip bench press:

195 x 3.5 (I did 4 reps but the last one was kinda iffy). I'm starting to get a feel for these. It seems that I'm a lot stronger at this lift I push when the bar is higher up on my torso. That way I can use my upper back as a "launch pad". Its all about positioning.

Not sure whether to increase weights:

I've been routinely hammering out 6-8 reps w/ 115 lbs around my waist for dips for around 4-5 sets. I'm not sure whether to attempt 135 lbs yet.

Similarly on chin ups I'm doing 6-8 w/ 100 lbs around my waist. Not sure whether to increase to 115 lbs. I know I can do 5 reps w/ 115, but that's when I'm quite fresh, and only for one set. 4-5 sets at that weight would be HARD... but totally awesome!

I may try the 455 on deads sometime this week...just quite scared to attempt it!

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If it's how the best do it, I'm game.

Those are some sick chins.

Good luck breaking 450.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update: Worked out Aug. 9th.

Was supposed to do squat/chin ups today, but deviated a bit. Felt VERY aggressive in the gym today and ended up doing lots of explosive stuff.

Warmed up on the bike and stretches and light core work.

Powerclean:

135 x 5 (hang clean)
185 x 3 (hang clean)
205 x 1

Front squat: I'd powerclean the weight to get it into position and then do the front squat:

225 x 5
205 x 4 (left knee hurt at this point)

Body weight pistols jumping onto a 18" box. 3 reps per side.

Chin up:

(BW + 115) x 5
(BW + 115) x 5 ... these were rough...last rep was questionable
(BW + 90) x 6
(BW + 90) x 7
(BW + 90) x 6.5

Was quite happy with my chin ups today!

Single Dumbell Overhead squat.

These are a tough exercise I've been experimenting with recently. Great for core and shoulder stability. Here's an article on them. I don't use a counter balancing weight when I do them.

http://www.tmuscle.com/readArticle.do?id=1866646&cr=

75 lb dumbell per side x 4. Did 2 sets/side.

Conditioning:

135 hangclean x 5 w/ 5 bodyweight pistols/side.

During the second iteration, my left knee got really sore and I had to drop the exercise.

Finished off w/ some seated bicep curls. Don't remember, and don't really care about the weight.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whats up dood im noticing some knees issues appearing.

Im seeing a connection between athletic training / strength training, which can be cool to mix and match but for your goals mixing and matching might cause more harm than good.

Lately I haven't done powercleans a whole lot because Im not seeing any major benefits when I progress doing them. Getting better at power cleans seems to only make you better at cleaning with no carry over to any other lift. Not to mention theres a lot of unnecessary impact when the bar comes into contact with the shoulders. One of the major drawbacks with cleans especially when you make the catch in a squatting position is the abuse it can put on the knee. Its a fun exercise but there are more cons than pros to doing them.

I think if you eliminate power cleans from your program and substitute with barbell rows and pendelay rows using power ala cheating with hips and legs, combined with One Arm DB Snatches or thrusters will be WAY more beneficial than cleans.

If you are going to continue doings cleans give them there own day or combine them with upper body training

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dammit DnB why do you always have to be right???? Damn you AND your 500 lb deadlift! :D

Seriously though, I definitely agree with your view on cleans. I enjoy doing them because I like how they feel, but they are a relatively high impact movement even when you catch it pretty high.

With powercleans you have 0.2 seconds or so to generate enough power to launch 100 kg 5 or 6 feet in the air... according to the formula for power (p = mad/t) that's a SHIIITE LOAD of power. Again, not the best for your joints if done on a regular basis with little rest.

I think I'm gonna take a break from them. I have been slowly incorporating one arm dumbell snatch, accompanied by one arm overhead dumbell squat.

Aug. 11th:

Trained a bit of everything today. It was officially deads n' dips day.

Warm up: Core, stretches, stationary bike.

Deads:

225 x 3
315 x 2
365 x 1
405 x 1
425 x 1 (Felt STRONG!)
455 ... failed ... got the bar a couple of inches off the mat but couldn't slide it up my legs. :down:

Rep work:

395 x 5 (personal best!)
395 x 3 (something felt off on this one)
365 x 5
365 x 5
365 x 1 (static hold)
365 x 1 (static hold)

Dips:

(BW + 135) x 5 for 4 sets. (personal best)...felt solid! Got 6 on the first set.
(BW + 90) x 8 (last set)

One arm overhead dumbell squat: 70 lb/side x 4 for a total of 3 sets. Did 75 lbs last work out, so I'll try 80 next time I do these.

Reverse grip bench:

185 x 6 (felt strong)
205 x 3 (this was a weak set as I didn't have great positioning relative to the bar).

Given the amount of heavy compound stuff I did today I expect to be quite beat up tomorrow...

Not gonna train tomorrow as I have rowing practice.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nearly 400x5! Nice.

Take a few weeks, push the rep work up, and you'll nail the 455 next time!

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My prosterior chain and my back and chest have been quite sore over the last week. I've been training 5-6 days a week and took Aug. 14th off. I feel a lot better today after getting a good night's sleep. Today is push/pull day.

Update: trained squats/chins on Aug. 13th

Warm up with stretching, stationary bike, some light core work.

Back squat:

135 x 5
225 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 3 (my left knee started to get quite sore on the 3rd rep)

Pistols:

BW x 5/side (2 sets)
27.5 x 5/side
30 x 5/side

One arm overhead Dumbell squat:

70 x 4/side
75 x 3/side (knee soreness was a problem here again)
80 x 3/side (knee soreness)

Weighted chins

The BW + 100 is getting quite routine now, but I didn't feel 100% so I decided to stick with this weight. Will try 115 next time.

100 x 6
100 x 6
100 x 7
100 x 8
100 x 7

Finished with some seated bicep curl:

20 lb dumbells x 12 for 2 sets.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your a beast son !! I decided to come up with a program for you. If you ever decide to use it would love to hear how you feel about it.

Sternum Chin Ups
(pulling as explosively as humanly possible even if you jerk or end up kipping, the main focus is pulling speed and making sure you smack your sternum on the bar every time)

BW x 50

Bench Press
How ever many sets it takes for you to get a 1 rep max keep your reps at 6 or less.

Barbell Thrusters
95lbs x 100 (this will suck)

If you still have any gas in the tank finish off with 50 walking lunges
25 each leg focus on your hams and glutes take GIANT steps.

Your knees might be flaring up because you might not be pushing them outward aggressively enough on your way out of the hole. Now when I squat the 1st thing I think I focus on is really pushing the knees outwards 2nd is tilting forward so my glutes and hips hold everything 3rd is keep my traps tight.

Last edited:

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DnB, thanx, I'm flattered you'd make a program for me.

Interesting program... I'm feeling nauseous just reading it... will have to try it sometime this week... yes I'm scared... :eek:

Couple of things: What's a barbell thruster? Can I use reverse grip bench instead of standard? My shoulders can't really handle the kind of weight I can do with reverse grip when I revert to standard grip.

Aug. 15th Update:

Today was push day. I didn't do as much stuff as I normally do as I had a show tonight, and don't like to be totally pooped out. Today was an interesting day to say the least... I'm getting the feeling that I can push a lot more than I think I can. I just have to find a way to work around my injuries and short comings.

As with all workouts I mix n' match the order, but will put my lifts categorized by each exercise for simplicity.

Warm up:

Light core work, lat stretches, rotator cuff warm up stuff, light back/chest dynamic stretching.

Incline dumbell press:

- I did a combination of rotating unilateral incline dumbell press with lighter weights (abbreviated as UIDP). My chest was quite sore so didn't go too heavy for too many sets.
- UIDP was done w/o rest between the two sides.

45 x 8/side (UIDP)
105 x 3 (regular) ... chest was SORE for these. Still was a personal best.
60 x 7/side (UIDP)
50 x 8/side (UIDP)

Bent over one arm dumbell row:

105 x 6/side (personal best!)
105 x 6/side

Reverse grip bench press:

I took the 14th off, and it did my back a lot of good.

135 x 6 (felt crisp)
185 x 6 (felt great!)
205 x 6 (was surprised I could do this)
225 x 5 (I had one of my buddies spot me for this... he said he never helped me on any rep... I was still surprised I got this many with this weight...yes its a personal best.)

Pull ups:

Parallel grip:

BW x 23
BW x 13
BW x 14
(basically get a total of 50).

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Can I use reverse grip bench instead of standard? My shoulders can't really handle the kind of weight I can do with reverse grip when I revert to standard grip.
Yea definitely ! lookin at your log you seem to be making solid progress with reverse grip, keep your benching format the same if you want to try something different change the way you increase your weights, after 135 start adding 30lbs the whole time. I dont recommend going for a 1 rep max doing reverse grip unless your in a power cage.

so it would look like

warm up with the bar focusing on speed
warm up with 95lbs
135 x 5
165 x 4
195 x 3
225 x 6

Barbell thruster

Thrusters

when doing thrusters I think some forward lean is ideal because you can get a better rebound out of the hole, as you do them you will feel what works best. Make sure the movement is fluid and explosive.

Last edited:

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I trained deads and push/pull last week but didn't put it in my journal. Nothing really significant in these workouts other than heavy deads and a fair bit of static hold work. Currently getting 6 or 7 reps w/ 105 lb dumbell on one arm bent over dumbell rows.

I'm having some issues with my chest. Whenever I lift heavy say, BW + 135 for dips or 100 lb dumbells for incline press or even heavy chin ups, my pectorals start to hurt and don't feel "normal". What's even more scary is this feeling spreads into my upper arm (note that the pectoralis major inserts in a proximal part of the humerus, the bone of the upper arm). I think by lifting heavy I'm stressing out my tendons. The last thing I need is a torn pec.

This is another problem w/ being enhanced and lifting heavy. Your tendons and ligaments will not "keep up" with your muscle growth and make you more prone to injury. I've decided to "cap" the weights that I do for my chest and change up some of the exercises that I do. For example instead of you weighted chins I'm going to be doing sternum chin ups (thanx DnB!).

Aug. 22: Leg/chin ups

I had a rowing competition today (just recreational) and played soccer for around half an hour, so I was pretty warmed up prior to getting into the gym.

Back Squat:

225 x 8
245 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5
245 x 5

Chin ups:

(BW + 90) x 6 ... I could do these reasonably comfortably, but switched over to sterum chin ups after.

Sternum chin ups:

BW x 8
BW x 8
BW x 8
BW x 8

DnB: Thanks again for suggesting this movement! My nervous system is still "figuring it out" but I have a feeling it'll be a great movement to learn.

Pistols:

25/side x 6
25/side x 6

One arm overhead dumbell squat

80/side x 5 (Personal best!)
80/side x 5
80/side x 4
80/side x 3

These are actually a pretty tough movement

seated bicep curls:

25/side x 8
25/side x 8

Push/pull day is up next followed by deadlifts.