For dogs, China is hell on earth

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Americans have hated Chinese people since the 1800s. There's a lot of reasons, but its mostly cultural:

1) Americans are fanatical Christians, but Chinese are mostly athiests. People in the US take Christianity very seriously. During the 1800s, Americans accused Chinese of pagan worship, which in their eyes was a serious crime.

2) Americans like rich people, and hate poor people. China is unfortunately a poor country (their people are poor), so Americans hate Chinese. In contrast, you don't hear racist rumours against Europeans, because Europeans are rich.

3) The US and China have totally different traditions, cultures, and language. Society hates people who are different and fail to conform. Its the brutal truth. (In contrast, Americans and Europeans are similar in many ways, so there's not much anti-Euro racism)

4) The Chinese government is called the "Communist Party". Since the government represents their people, Americans view Chinese as communists.

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
Americans have hated Chinese people since the 1800s.
Hate is a strong word. Although, I know some people who "hate" certain ethnic groups, I personally don't know anyone who hates the Chinese people. Maybe they might make fun of their language, but that's just goofing around.

Dogs are considered family pets in this country so the idea that authorities could break into your home and club your pet dog to death in front of you is pretty sickening to say the least. Which was the point of this thread, not to bash the average chinese citizen.

Slevin

Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
Americans have hated Chinese people since the 1800s.
Define american for me please, and while you're at it, please explain the relevance of this statement to the topic at hand.

edit:not trying to be an a$$, but the typical american of the 1800's is no longer relevant to this story.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Helter Skelter said:
Dogs are considered family pets in this country so the idea that authorities could break into your home and club your pet dog to death in front of you is pretty sickening to say the least.
In Hindu countries (ie. India) cows are considered sacred. The idea of some Texan farmer slaughtering cows for consumption is quite horrible. Different cultures, different tolerances.

Fact is, this isn't a Chinese racial issue. Its a "poor people" issue. Have you noticed most animal brutality stories occur in crappy, poor peasant villages? Rich people don't go around killing animals. Hell, most rich Chinese people spend more money on their pets, than Americans spend on their mortgages.

For poor people, animal cruelty isn't exactly an important issue. They're more worried about hunger, disease, unemployment, etc.

Silverback82

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Porky said:
PETA, god bless 'em, is an organization lead by a bunch of

because I made a point which intrudes on your bright little world where you don't do anything wrong and judge others freely?

knock yourself out baby. ignored
it was a stupid point

you can't compare dogs to animals that can't be kept as loving housepets and are here for sole purpose of being consumed by us

Hitman10000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Helter Skelter's posts are filled with lack of logic. Where were you when ducks and birds were slaughtered in the millions, not 50,000 when the avian bird flu came area?

Read more of his lack of logic posts if you search under his name.

And for the rest of you PRO-DOG people, stop being Euro-centric/Ethnocentric (if you're in USA) , respect how other people do things in other countries. 50% of Americans live near poverty, are you going to do anything about that? Public Education is underfunded in poor minority neighborhoods which is the result of racism and classism. But keep arguing about an animal being beaten to death while millions of animals in the USA go through the same but quicker process for consumption.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Silverback82 said:
you can't compare dogs to animals that can't be kept as loving housepets and are here for sole purpose of being consumed by us
I once had a pet lamb.

My friends have also had pet rabbits, piglets, even cows.

MuayThai

Banned
Reaction score
They're just pets. It's not like your killing a person, or someone's livestock ect ect.
The whole "clubbing" thing is abit rash, but I definatly don't think its out of order if you look at the expense alternatives.
And I don't EVER watch american news... ever.

Notice the difference?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/5233704.stm

Oh and do you know, in china, if you are executed by firing squad, they'll charge your familly for the bullets used afterwards.

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The problem with this is not the fact that animals are being killed, even though it is pretty abhorrent (similar to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_sparrow_campaign), it's that the government is essentially seizing private property and destroying it, and even worse, without providing compensation (the $0.67 doesn't count). To do this because three people have died from rabies is ridiculous. And, even though only 3% of the dogs were vaccinated for rabies, the only mention of whether those dogs were allowed to live or not is, "[they] spared only military guard dogs and police canine units," implying that even dogs vaccinated for rabies were killed.

If you were wondering whether China was still Communist... I don't think you have to look very hard.

There is a huge difference between a farmer raising cows that he owns, slaughtering them humanely, and selling them for a profit, than for a government to run through the streets grabbing peoples' pets and beating them to death.

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Nocturnal said:
The problem with this is not the fact that animals are being killed, even though it is pretty abhorrent (similar to this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_sparrow_campaign), it's that the government is essentially seizing private property and destroying it, and even worse, without providing compensation (the $0.67 doesn't count). To do this because three people have died from rabies is ridiculous. And, even though only 3% of the dogs were vaccinated for rabies, the only mention of whether those dogs were allowed to live or not is, "[they] spared only military guard dogs and police canine units," implying that even dogs vaccinated for rabies were killed.

If you were wondering whether China was still Communist... I don't think you have to look very hard.

There is a huge difference between a farmer raising cows that he owns, slaughtering them humanely, and selling them for a profit, than for a government to run through the streets grabbing peoples' pets and beating them to death.

Nocturnal, Great post:up: You said it better than I could.

Some of the other remarks being made on this thread are a little scary. To the point were I don't want to even comment.

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
it's that the government is essentially seizing private property and destroying it, and even worse, without providing compensation (the $0.67 doesn't count).
Poor people can't afford human rights. They're more concerned about things like...well, not starving. Name ONE poor country that has plenty of human rights.

By the way, $0.67 US is quite a lot of money for a crummy dog. That's about $5 Chinese dollars. In poverty-stricken west China, that could buy you 5 new dogs.

I've got a hunch none of you grew up in a poor region. Maybe you should stick to your pink-walled suburbs where the poorest man has an Ipod. Don't forget to throw some cake over the wall occasionally.

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
Poor people can't afford human rights. They're more concerned about things like...well, not starving. I've got a hunch none of you grew up in a poor region.
1) Anybody starving, probably doesn't own a pet dog.

2) The dogs and their chinese owners are the ones who are suffering the most from this, so who are you defending?

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Helter Skelter said:
1) Anybody starving, probably doesn't own a pet dog.
And why not? Many people living in poor areas have pets. Animals have more uses than food and cuddling.

2) The dogs and their chinese owners are the ones who are suffering the most from this, so who are you defending?
I'm not defending anyone. I just find it insulting how Americans assume their standards of morality can be applied to everyone.

Helter Skelter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
And why not? Many people living in poor areas have pets.
it insulting how Americans assume their standards of morality can be applied to everyone.
Poor people can have pets? Yes

Your original comment mentioned starving people, (their not as likely to own a pet dog)

I think standards of morality should be universal in most cases.

The people mentioned in this article lived in houses. Not grass huts or with no home at all, like many starving people do in parts of Africa. That would be a different standard.

Permission

Banned
Reaction score
American_Psycho said:
Yep, three people die of rabies so the police go around clubbing every dog in sight...That's obviously the rational way to deal with things, I'm sure they would do the same here in the U.S.
Actually that's exactly the way things are done in the west as well. When one cow had mad cow disease, they killed all the cows. When they don't like bees, they kill millions of them.

Nocturnal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
diplomatic_lies said:
Poor people can't afford human rights. They're more concerned about things like...well, not starving. Name ONE poor country that has plenty of human rights.
It's not a question of whether they HAVE human rights, it's a question of whether they SHOULD HAVE human rights (from the government's point of view). In reality, they do have human rights, as does everyone (except for criminals, etc), but the government is infringing upon them. That is what makes this so wrong.

diplomatic_lies said:
By the way, $0.67 US is quite a lot of money for a crummy dog. That's about $5 Chinese dollars. In poverty-stricken west China, that could buy you 5 new dogs.
While I wouldn't be surprised if $5 could buy you a few "crummy dog," pure bred dogs in one part of China are at comparable prices to our own: "The price of a pure breed puppy now starts at around £1,000 ($1,770)" (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/4651950.stm). And really, the government doesn't have a good reason to kill the dogs, so even if it is enough compensation, it is still not necessarily okay. If the U.S. government started going through the streets destroying people's cars, but giving them money as comensation, "because a few people died in car accidents," they would be crossing the line too. In addition, the value of a dog generally includes more sentimental value than an inanimate object, so to put a label on it becomes more difficult. I can't walk up to you, hand you $500, then rip your $500 watch off of your arm and smash it with a hammer. Only the owner can decide the value that he's willing to give it up for, and if you make this decision for him then you are still taking his property by force, which is wrong.

diplomatic_lies said:
I've got a hunch none of you grew up in a poor region. Maybe you should stick to your pink-walled suburbs where the poorest man has an Ipod. Don't forget to throw some cake over the wall occasionally.
If I was telling someone who grew up in Nazi Germany that the holocaust was a bad thing, and they argued that I couldn't understand that it was okay because I hadn't grown up in Nazi Germany, would that be an excuse?

American_Psycho

Don Juan
Reaction score
Permission said:
Actually that's exactly the way things are done in the west as well. When one cow had mad cow disease, they killed all the cows. When they don't like bees, they kill millions of them.
Yeah, it really sucks for those cows that they were slaughtered a few months earlier than they would've been normally.

I don't remember hearing about any mass killings of bees, maybe you'd like to point them out to me.

Permission

Banned
Reaction score
American_Psycho said:
Yeah, it really sucks for those cows that they were slaughtered a few months earlier than they would've been normally.
Oh ok, so if dogs were normally slaughtered, then it wouldn't be a problem slaughtering them a few months earlier? Or is it just a problem for you to think outside of american soceital norms?

diplomatic_lies

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Helter Skelter said:
I think standards of morality should be universal in most cases.
How? Everyone has a different set of moral values. Some people believe sex outside marriage is wrong. Others believe marriage is immoral.

If I was telling someone who grew up in Nazi Germany that the holocaust was a bad thing, and they argued that I couldn't understand that it was okay because I hadn't grown up in Nazi Germany, would that be an excuse?
So culling a few dogs is now a holocauste? Wow, that's the 2nd dumb comment I've heard today.

Hey, that reminds me. Didn't Europe kill thousands of cows (without their farmers' permission)? Doesn't the US kill millions of bees, bats, ants, and spiders every year? Oh that's right, they're not as cute as dogs & cats, so nobody makes a fuss.