DJs I Am Trying to Get in Shape. Please Help with Routine

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Thanks for clicking the link. I don't seem to gaining any weight and don't have much knowledge about lifting. I don't really want to gain too much mass like a body builder, but be more like a learn 10% BF guy. Here are my current stats:

Height: 5'10"
Weight: 138-141 lbs.

Here's what I have access to:

Bench (can be turned into incline bench)
5/10/15/20/25 dumbbells
Elliptical
Stationary Bike

I got a few of those things from my uncle because he felt he was too old to use it and just gave it to our family.

Here is my revised routine. School is pretty busy, and I am aiming to be pretty strong by spring (March). That gives me 4 months to hunker down and workout.

Monday: Elliptical: 15 min. (HIIT)

Tuesday: Weight training:
Back: Bent-over Row, Lying (down) Row (15-12-10 reps/3 sets/15lbs)
Biceps: Curl, Incline Curl (15 reps/3 sets/15lbs)
Elliptical, 15 min. (HIIT)

Wednesday: Elliptical: 15 min. (HIIT)
Abs: Incline Crunch, Incline Twist Crunch (20/18/15 reps/3 sets)

Thursday: Weight training:
Quadriceps: Lunge (12 reps/3 sets/15lbs)
Calves: Single Leg Calf Raise (12 reps/3 sets/20lbs)
Hamstrings: Straight Leg Dead-lift (15 reps/3 sets/20lbs)

Friday: Elliptical: 15 min. (HIIT)

Saturday: Weight training:
Pectorals: Push-ups(20 reps/3 sets), Bench press(10 reps/3 sets/20lbs), Fly (8 reps/3 sets/10lbs)
Deltoids: Lateral Raise(10 reps/3 sets/15lbs), Shoulder Press(15 reps/3 sets/15lbs)
Triceps: Triceps Extension (15 reps/3 sets/20lbs), Lying Triceps Extension (15 reps/3 sets/15lbs)

Sunday: Elliptical: 15 min. (HIIT)
Abs: Incline Crunch, Incline Twist Crunch (20/18/15 reps/3 sets)

The HIIT stuff really isn't HIIT. I kind of keep pushing myself until I can't take it anymore and I never go slower than 4.0 mph unless I'm really pooped. Then I never go under 3.0 mph. It's probably faster in real life, cuz there's quite a bit of resistance on the old thing.

I've been trying to get a solid routine down for quite some time. I did it by day so if you have any tips on how this is bad or good, please let me know and I'll add it in. Thanks a lot. I really want to get it down this time hopefully with your help.

Good luck with your workouts too.

EDIT: Oh yes I almost forgot to tell you about my eating patterns. I try to have 6 "meals." a day. However, since i'm in high school, I just have breakfast which is like 2 hardboiled eggs, sometimes a bagel, sometimes with pancakes, sometimes with waffles.

For lunch, it's a honey ham sammich with lettuce, 1/2 tblspoon light Miracle Whip, 2 piece of toasted wheat or 7 grain bread and a slice of American cheese. I also have a can o' Dannon's lite n' fit yogurt and a banana with all that. My drink is a liter of water or coffee on a cold day.

I usually eat my yogurt/half sandwich or banana/half sandwich between classes so it's like 2 meals divided from my one meal because I read something like it helps my metabolism or something.

Anyways, on to dinner. I basically eat whatever my parents make. I'm from an Asian family and they make a few traditional dishes like stir-fried stuff, but I just pick the non-greasy stuff. Sometimes it's just a plain sandwich. Other times we have veggie soup and steamed veggies with chicken or fried rice/noodles. It pretty much varies from day to day, but I don't eat too much for dinner. Maybe a small ham sandwich around 8:00 PM an hour before I take a homework break and go workout. I got to sleep around 1-2 AM because of school and commuting and stuff. Yeah....amybe 6 hours of sleep/ day, but weekends I get about 8-9. :) Thanks again for reading and I hope you can give me some tips.

Last edited:

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wtf? 27 views and still no response? I mean, after you read it and you think it's good post it! Don't just leave me hanging here.

Whatever, I'm going to go with this and maybe change it a bit along the way to what I see fit. But it'd help a heapload if you'd give me some feedback.

jonny football hero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Didn't quite get it. So you want to put mass on? or just tone?

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The work out looks good to me, though I'd suggest being careful with the deadlifts. First time I tried them I pulled my back quite badly. Be sure to stretch throroughly before doing any lifting.

As for the diet, I think you could use a lot more protein. I'd highly recommend buying a tub of whey protein if you can afford it and drinking a shake immediately after every work out. This will help you lose fat and retain muscle.

Good luck!

jonny football hero

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good luck, what weight are you aiming for?

Omega

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Do NOT do cardio on lifting days.

Look up dynamic stretching

Eulogy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Be a man and ditch the lunges. Do squats instead.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
jonny: I'd say 160 lbs? Assuming I'll grow to 6'0"

R3N3GAD3: I thought running a bit before lifting helps you somehow... I think it said something about getting your muscles ready for lifting or breaking down or whatever....eh I dunno. I'll find the post in time.

Eulogy: I used to do squats, but many have posted that they affect my height negatively. Maybe lunges do too:confused:. I'm not really sure about bad growth from lunges, but I definitely read about squats messing me up. Also, can I do squats with dumbbells? I looked at exrx.net and they had a guy with a barbell and I don't have access to one of those.:( .

Eulogy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by AFK Protector
jonny: I'd say 160 lbs? Assuming I'll grow to 6'0"

R3N3GAD3: I thought running a bit before lifting helps you somehow... I think it said something about getting your muscles ready for lifting or breaking down or whatever....eh I dunno. I'll find the post in time.

Eulogy: I used to do squats, but many have posted that they affect my height negatively. Maybe lunges do too:confused:. I'm not really sure about bad growth from lunges, but I definitely read about squats messing me up. Also, can I do squats with dumbbells? I looked at exrx.net and they had a guy with a barbell and I don't have access to one of those.:( .
The "stunt your height" thing is complete bullshit perpetuated by clueless feminist mothers and girlie men. The barbell squat is the single most important exercise you can do. EVER. Save up and get a squat rack with a barbell, or just the squat rack and hook up your bench barbell to the hooks. Do your best, its worth it.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eulogy
The "stunt your height" thing is complete bullshit perpetuated by clueless feminist mothers and girlie men. The barbell squat is the single most important exercise you can do. EVER. Save up and get a squat rack with a barbell, or just the squat rack and hook up your bench barbell to the hooks. Do your best, its worth it.
Ok thanks Eulogy. I guess I'll use my Christmas money for a rack and barbell. I will edit my routine once I get the rack.

Jippii

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi,

if you're able to get whey protein then you could try doing something like this:

7:00 eat breakfast

around 10:00 when you have a break, have a shake with you to school, for example a pint of milk, a banana, a scoop or two of protein, 15-20g olive oil.

then eat lunch at 13:00 or whenever you have it.

eat when you get home, 16:00?

have dinner, 17:30-19:00

before going to bed 22:00.

I'd say don't be afraid to go up to 15% bodyfat, as long as you're getting enough protein in your diet (getting muscles). You'll have time for cutting, and this way you'll grow.

I think a big problem with starting skinny guys is that we are (were) so afraid of losing that 'sixpack' that we don't eat enough.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey, even the top man had a day off.

For someone who's toning and wanting a bit of muscle, I think you could do less and get more, if you get my drift.

It may be better to cycle the type of training. ie focus on building some muscle, ease back, focus a bit more on CV, then build up weights.

Do both, everyday at the same intensity on an ongoing basis will lead to staleness and lack of progress.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jippii: Hey thanks for the meal plan. GNC was pretty expensive, so I'm going to look on some websites for whey protein. Just to clarify. Is that 1 shake a day around 10:00 or 1 shake at every time interval you stated? Thanks in advance.

Alpine: I'll take that into consideration. I see what you're saying, but I'm pretty motivated now. I think I will alternate using the elliptical and stationary bike for my cardio.

Eulogy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I know Diesel is against cardio too. But I don't want to gain fat and I still have some BF I wanna get rid of. I still can't get supplements until Christmas when I have some money.
It's one or the other, gain mass or lose fat, you can't do both at the same time, unfortunatly.

AFK Protector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Eulogy
It's one or the other, gain mass or lose fat, you can't do both at the same time, unfortunatly.
How about....gain mass and not gain fat? I'm gaining like 3-4 pounds over the last month or two and can see my abs and arms a lot better. Chest still needs some working on but the ribs are fading away too. Well...they're still there but it's not just bone. Eh, I guess I'll cut first. Cuz I need agility and quickness for tennis.

Eulogy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
How about....gain mass and not gain fat? I'm gaining like 3-4 pounds over the last month or two and can see my abs and arms a lot better. Chest still needs some working on but the ribs are fading away too. Well...they're still there but it's not just bone. Eh, I guess I'll cut first. Cuz I need agility and quickness for tennis.
Definatly cut first, but go steady and down down the cals too much because:

1) You're only 16.

2) If you're new to weight training, there is a good chance you can gain muscle and lose fat on a moderate to low cal diet. This will only last for a few months before some stalling occurs, so you'll have to go one way or another at that point.