Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Cigars 101

DontQuitYet

Don Juan
Reaction score
ok, I used to smoke a couple cigars a week but I stopped due to the whole health concern thing. When you don't inhale cigars,as you're supposed to, are the health risks totally gone?

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
DontQuitYet said:
ok, I used to smoke a couple cigars a week but I stopped due to the whole health concern thing. When you don't inhale cigars,as you're supposed to, are the health risks totally gone?

I have only known a couple of fellas who have the constitution to inhale a good cigar. It's not recommended to inhale cigar smoke because of the density and concentration of the smoke. I've found that inhaling the cigar ruins my pallette for the duration of the stick.

Austrian88

Don Juan
Reaction score
i've only read the thread quickly, but i didn't read anything about FINISHING your cigar. most cigar newbies try to "dip" (sry, english is not my mother tongue) their cigar like they do with cigarettes to put it out. just leave the damn cigar in the ashtray and it is going to go out ;)

(also, do not snip off the ash while you're smoking, but softly wipe it off on the ashtray).

and, omg, i've to work on my english skills... sry for that ^^

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Austrian88 said:
i've only read the thread quickly, but i didn't read anything about FINISHING your cigar. most cigar newbies try to "dip" (sry, english is not my mother tongue) their cigar like they do with cigarettes to put it out. just leave the damn cigar in the ashtray and it is going to go out ;)
True. Do not ever crush out a cigar. If you're going to relight it within 30 minutes leave it be in your ashtray. Once you start to relight it first gently knock off the ash then gently blow into the cigar to blow out and stale smoke and ash. Light up and finish her off.

(also, do not snip off the ash while you're smoking, but softly wipe it off on the ashtray).
No. Do not ever flick off the ash. smoke it until the ash is heavy enough to naturally fall off.

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Enough bickering. Karma, starve the trolls and they will go away.

Here's a few reviews of recent smokes of mine...

La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro: 6 1/2 x 60 ring gauge. Started off very full and peppery, with some excellent roasty flavors coming in towards the second half of the stick. Burn was a bit uneven but it never needed correction. Draw was medium, and got a little tougher towards the end. It was tough to keep lit. It was too much of an effort to fingertip it, as the draw got slightly tougher toward the end, until the stick went out on its own. Very delicious, though. 8.5/10

Joya de Nicaragua Antaño: 4 1/2 x 60. VERY full flavored and powerful right from puff one. It picked up a dark-chocolate sort of aftertaste toward the middle. The burn was lousy, and required three different corrections. Medium draw. Nicotine buzz knocked me on my ass, and that almost never happens. Good taste, if overly simplistic. 6/10.

Eureka EVSG Gordo Maduro: 6 or 7 x 62. Made out of notoriously mild Costa Rican tobacco. Very mild for a maduro. A pleasant sweetness to it, with some grassy flavors coming in about halfway through. Not my stylistic cup of tea, but not a bad smoke at all, and if you are going to introduce your girl to the world of cigars but don't want the dishonor of flavored cigars, I highly recommend having her smoke one of the Eureka line. 7.5/10

Last edited:

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Adding that special something in my humidor.

There is a relatively unknown practice of infusing cigars with essences of your favorite liquor. I keep 2 shot glasses in my humidor. One is filled 3/4 with Jack Daniels green label and the other a shot of quality espresso.

I've found that I need to rotate the liquids approximately every 3 weeks during the humid summer months and 4-5 weeks when it cools down.

The biggest difference has been in the depth of the smoke. There are a number of slight but tangible notes layered into my cigars. It's as if each draw has a unique taste and texture to the smoke. The most notable are my darkest maduro's. Partagas black, Iguana mutant black and I have a couple of La Gloria cubana cigars aging nicely.

Mrs. K bought me a beautiful Montecristo habana robusto on her cruise through the Caribbean which makes me salivate to smoke it :)

I do not use the shots as replacements of hygrometer fluid. Merely, good buddies to enhance my smokes.

I would not suggest straight liquors such as plain vodka or gin. Fruit infused spirits would benefit but I've found that straight liquors give the smoke an uncooth blandness. No wine either. I'm a whiskey guy which is why I like Jack.

Try it and post your results.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
MetalFortress said:
Enough bickering. Karma, starve the trolls and they will go away.

Here's a few reviews of recent smokes of mine...

La Gloria Cubana Serie R Maduro: 6 1/2 x 60 ring gauge. Started off very full and peppery, with some excellent roasty flavors coming in towards the second half of the stick. Burn was a bit uneven but it never needed correction. Draw was medium, and got a little tougher towards the end. It was tough to keep lit. It was too much of an effort to fingertip it, as the draw got slightly tougher toward the end, until the stick went out on its own. Very delicious, though. 8.5/10

Joya de Nicaragua Antaño: 4 1/2 x 60. VERY full flavored and powerful right from puff one. It picked up a dark-chocolate sort of aftertaste toward the middle. The burn was lousy, and required three different corrections. Medium draw. Nicotine buzz knocked me on my ass, and that almost never happens. Good taste, if overly simplistic. 6/10.

Eureka EVSG Gordo Maduro: 6 or 7 x 62. Made out of notoriously mild Costa Rican tobacco. Very mild for a maduro. A pleasant sweetness to it, with some grassy flavors coming in about halfway through. Not my stylistic cup of tea, but not a bad smoke at all, and if you are going to introduce your girl to the world of cigars but don't want the dishonor of flavored cigars, I highly recommend having her smoke one of the Eureka line. 7.5/10

Firstly, let me say it's great to see another brother who likes the larger ring gauge cigars. If it isn't at least 56 ring gauge I'm not interested. The Antano I wholeheartedly concur will kick your ass if you're not careful. I picked up 2 from Thompsons in Tampa. I lit one up in the parking lot and before I got to Dale Mabry I was high as hell. I noticed notes of coffee and licorice on the exhale. Very nice but the smoke itself was a tad on the thin side. Potent nonetheless.

The La Gloria is one of my staples. Luscious in every way. The ONLY problem I've encountered is when cutting the cigar. If it's a cvnt hair more than 1/8 inch the wrapper will begin to peel which is unsightly and a pain in the ass.

If you like them dark, I strongly suggest ordering a box of Iguana Mutant black. Very reasonable priced but they need to age unwrapped in order to really release the oils and fragrances. What helps is to gently roll the cigar in my palms for 5-10 seconds. No more. This will also facilitate the release of oils in the maduro and a much more clean smoke.

Awesome brother :flowers:

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
MetalFortress said:
Any word on the Flor de Oliva brand? Are they any good for a cheapo? I saw a ridiculously huge one at the local cigar store, that looked to have an 80-100 ring gauge or something of the like.
Anything over 62 ring gauge gets a tad into the outrageous I believe. It's too much smoke to enjoy so it seems to be a waste of time.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Cigar shapes and sizes article

This is a wonderful article:

Cigar Shapes and Sizes by Michael Randall

One of the most common ways to categorize cigars is by their shape and size. Although this sounds simple, it can be very confusing. For many years, the cigar industry has been using terms such as Corona and Panatela, which correspond to the approximate length and width of the cigar, not the manufacturer or brand. Although most manufacturers use commonly accepted size names to describe their cigars, the actual size of a particularly named cigar can vary among manufacturers. In addition, cigars are now available in many more dimensions that were available in the past, and many manufacturers have created their own names for certain sizes. It is not too uncommon to find 2 cigars of the same size, made by different companies, that have different names to describe the size.

Are Numbers Better Than Names?
To avoid confusion, it is easier to refer to a cigar’s length and width to describe its size. The length is measured in inches, while the width is measured by ring gauge, which is the diameter expressed in 64ths of an inch. Despite all the inconsistencies with cigar names, it is still more interesting (and colorful) to describe the different sizes and shapes of cigars with names rather than with numbers. This is all part of the cigar mystique.

Names For Cigar Shapes
You may never have to use the terms that refer to the shape of a cigar, since most of the common names for cigars are usually associated with their size. This is because most cigars are shaped like a cylinder, and are considered as having a parejo shape. A cigar with an irregular shape (e.g. having a cone shaped head) is considered to be a figurado. The technical term to encompass both size and shape is vitola.
Common Names For Cigar Sizes
There are many names for the various sizes (and shapes) of cigars, but here are just a few of the more common terms that you may encounter, and the approximate range of their dimensions. The ranges listed can be even wider, despite any overlapping.

Name / Length / Ring / Gauge:

Corona 5 ½ to 6 42 to 45
Panatela 5 ½ to 6 ½ 34 to 38
Lonsdale 6 to 6 ½ 42 to 44
Churchill 6 ½ to 7 46 to 48
Robusto 4 ½ to 5 48 to 50
Toro 6 to 6 ½ 48 to 50
Torpedo
(Cone Shaped Head) 5 ½ to 6 ½ 46 to 52

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
It's been awhile . . .

Though I'd resurrect this thread with some updated information on my current cigar flavors.

I've been dabbling in some candela wrapped (bright green with little to no fermentation) and I have developed quite a taste for them. They have more of a nutty flavor and a lingering tinge of leather? That's the best description I can muster. Though I'm still a slave to my maduro's, I'm developing a pallette for them.

Some good ones are:

Iguana robusto 5" x 50

Puros Indios Toro 6" x 52

Don Tomas Robusto 5 1/2" x 50

Give them a try Gents!

Nip/Tuck

Banned
Reaction score
CUBANS! I love having connections. 200 Euro for some fine thick pre-cut Torpedo Cubans. :rockon:

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Um. You can't precut a torpedo. The head of the cigar is tapered as such that "pre-cutting" the cigar will negate the wrapper and cause it to roll out.

And, as I've stated previously, most cuban cigars are vastly overrated in both taste and quality.

Nip/Tuck

Banned
Reaction score
KarmaSutra said:
Um. You can't precut a torpedo. The head of the cigar is tapered as such that "pre-cutting" the cigar will negate the wrapper and cause it to roll out.

And, as I've stated previously, most cuban cigars are vastly overrated in both taste and quality.
Oh my mistake, I meant to say I got both precut toro and the Torpedo. Well for a college kid I think Cubans are fine, since most people buy Phillies or smoke joints.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Nip/Tuck said:
Oh my mistake, I meant to say I got both precut toro and the Torpedo. Well for a college kid I think Cubans are fine, since most people buy Phillies or smoke joints.
I don't want to sh!t on your posts because I do value the time you took to make them but I have never, ever had a precut cigar other than something bought off the shelf at fvcking Walgreens. Only the cheapest pieces of sh!t are precut or punched for the masses.

Noone precuts quality cigars. No one. The gum arabic which is used to cap the head is there for a specific reason, to reduce the drying of the cigar from head to foot. This is a critical step. As soon as the head is cut the cigar goes straight down the toilet in quality.

I think you're confusing the pre cut cubans you're getting with flavored White Owls.

Mr.Positive

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Real men smoke pipes.

There's nothing like holding a chunk of briarwood in your hand, with a glowing bowl of your favorite tobacco, puffing away...time stands still at that moment.

I'll take my single malt with a pipe and good tobacco, over a cigar, any day.

Great thread though Karma! I may have to try one of your recommended cigars, I commend you brother on your passion (and knowledge) here..

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Mr.Positive said:
Real men smoke pipes.

There's nothing like holding a chunk of briarwood in your hand, with a glowing bowl of your favorite tobacco, puffing away...time stands still at that moment.

I'll take my single malt with a pipe and good tobacco, over a cigar, any day.

Great thread though Karma! I may have to try one of your recommended cigars, I commend you brother on your passion (and knowledge) here..

I agree wholeheartedly! I love my pipes. I have 3:

My Jeantet bent

and:

my Molina pipes. I have both the straight and the bent

I go out to the backyard to our pool, plop myself in my chaise, fill my bowl with some cavendish, sip on some Gentleman Jack and watch the sun go to bed.

Fvcking heaven my man.