Cigars 101

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
Firstly, Cubans are waaaaay overrated. I just had a good friend take a trip through the west french indies and brought back some beautiful sticks with pigtails.

I was stoked all the way home and poured myself the obligatory single malt scotch. I went through my entire ritual and sparked that bad boy up anticipating a revelation of biblical proportion . . .

Alas though, I was disappointed with the entire cigar. It just wasn't as good as what the Hondurans are putting out these days. I won't put all cubans in a sinking boat but overall I feel there are much better cigars out there.

Don't always believe the hype.

penkitten

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my brother smokes cigars instead of cigerettes, and they are smelly.
he smokes black and mild. he loves them.

i wonder what he would think of real cigars, lol which is why i wondered about the cuban kind.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by penkitten
my brother smokes cigars instead of cigerettes, and they are smelly.
he smokes black and mild. he loves them.

i wonder what he would think of real cigars, lol which is why i wondered about the cuban kind.

Smokin' black and mild's are akin to smokin' Goddamned chicken bones! Do him a favor and get him a couple of Diablo cigars and ween him off of utter shyte.

'tis the season . . .

NewMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Firstly, Cubans are waaaaay overrated. I just had a good friend take a trip through the west french indies and brought back some beautiful sticks with pigtails.
I have to disagree....

I would double check your source to make sure they were real cubans. There are many, many knock offs out there - you can tell a real cuban by it's taste and smell - unlike other S. American cigars - these smell great and not like a##.

just wasn't as good as what the Hondurans are putting out these days
Again I have to disagree. These cigars are a pale 2nd to cubans - substandard seeds and sub standard growing environment.

I'm looking forward to Xmas day, when I will celebrate by pulling out a Trinidad (pigtailed of course) - pour myself a Johnie Walker - and relax on my balcony overlooking downtown.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by NewMan

I would double check your source to make sure they were real cubans. There are many, many knock offs out there - you can tell a real cuban by it's taste and smell - unlike other S. American cigars - these smell great and not like a##.

Again I have to disagree. These cigars are a pale 2nd to cubans - substandard seeds and sub standard growing environment.

I'm looking forward to Xmas day, when I will celebrate by pulling out a Trinidad (pigtailed of course) - pour myself a Johnie Walker - and relax on my balcony overlooking downtown.

Firstly, I have to disagree with your disagreement. I've found that on the whole the cuban cigars I've smoked ( I've been blessed to have tried many a different brand ) aren't as smooth as what the Dominican Fuente's or Honduran Montecristo's are. The cubans I recieved as a gift from my friend were real and nothing I'd write home about. Both had a burned ,nutty flavor halfway through the cigar which lent to my disappointment.

I will say that H. Upmann Magnum 50 is a magnificant stick. As are the entire H. Upmann line.

I don't believe you know what you're saying regarding " - substandard seeds and sub standard growing environment.
? "

Connecticut broadleaf grows wonderfully in Honduras and the Dominican Republic? It's a fact that the humidity with cuban seeds have been plagued with spores. Do some research and have definitive statements before challenging my opinion.

I don't have an issue with facts and banter but general statements as Gospel, Don't hold much weight.

SlowBurn

Don Juan
Reaction score
While using a cigar lighter is preferred I enjoy the ritual of using a cedar strip to light my cigar. Do not however use a match. The sulfur and ammonia in a match will alter the taste much like using a Zippo.

Also taking a lady to a cigar bar is a great little excursion. The ritual, the unique flavors and types of cigars, the slightly taboo atmosphere. She will have a blast and most likely get an education at the same time. (And you get to put something long and hot in her mouth). :D

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by SlowBurn
While using a cigar lighter is preferred I enjoy the ritual of using a cedar strip to light my cigar. Do not however use a match. The sulfur and ammonia in a match will alter the taste much like using a Zippo.

Also taking a lady to a cigar bar is a great little excursion. The ritual, the unique flavors and types of cigars, the slightly taboo atmosphere. She will have a blast and most likely get an education at the same time. (And you get to put something long and hot in her mouth). :D

You're correct about taking a woman out to a classy cigar bar. It's a really unique experience which will lighten her mood and ,as you said, "get to put something long and hot in her mouth!"

Secondly, I've used spills to light my cigars in the past but I've grown lazy in my old age and like to use my Colibri and get the job done that much faster.
If it's tradition you're looking for spills will definitely lend a helping hand.

Light 'em up!
:cool: :D :rockon:

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Class # 4

Cigar Aging

I wholeheartedly subscribe to the theory that aging has a critical impact on a cigar's body and flavor. Initial aging after their rolling is essential to allow the cigar to dry and stabilize. Not only will this greatly improve the flavor, but also greatly improve the burn and draw. Stabilization takes only 6 to 8 weeks, however allowing your cigars to age even longer will let the flavors of the blend meld and mellow into a more harmonious smoke. A cigar's complexities and nuances will be greatly enhanced with long-term aging in a proper environment.

On the other hand, I am also a firm believer that cigars do not perpetually age for the better. Every cigar eventually hits its peak, and from there on it is downhill. So it is just as important to not overage your cigars, as it is to age them in the first place.

The younger the cigar the more drastic the impact time has upon it; 3 months can mean a world of difference to a freshly rolled cigar, whereas 3 months are negligible when dealing with 15 year old sticks.

Over time you cigars will slightly shrink and you will be able to move their rings up and down their length uninhibited by friction. This is a classic tell tale sign of a well-aged cigar and one that will most likely be an optimum smoke. Not only will it burn and draw better, the taste will become much more smooth and share its nuance with your palate.

Another tell-tale sign off aged cigars is plume, also called bloom. This is a light whitish gray powder that is left from the cigar's essential oils drying on its surface, and is considered a very good sign that the proper aging is taking place. Not all cigars develop plume, but those that are heavy in oils almost always do over time. Cigars exhibiting plume are typically exceptional in flavor.

As always keep 'em lit boys and girls,

Next class coming soon . . .

Martini Joe

Don Juan
Reaction score
Proper cigar storage is crucial. If you don't store your cigars properly you may encounter some of the following problems: uneven or too rapid burn, harsh or bitter taste, broken wrapper, difficulty lighting or keeping the cigar lit, mold, and tiny holes in your cigars, a sign of tobacco beetle infestation (nasty buggers!).
It's worth bringing up that some of these issues are also something to look for when buying a cigar to begin with. Even burn depends a lot of the wrap itself. One way is to inspect the color of the cigar before buying it. If you notice a cigar has mismatched colors within it, it means it is wrapped with several leaves, which can contribute to a poor burn amoung other things.

You also want to gently squeeze the cigar before buying. If it feels "stiff" (as if the leaves are dry) it could be a sign of some of the problems mentioned above. Obviously you want to inspect the wrapper for rips and so forth as well.

Great thread, cat. Excellent.

NewMan

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't have an issue with facts and banter but general statements as Gospel, Don't hold much weight.
wow what attitude.

Most beginners don't understand about (authentic) Cuban cigars, so they think the prices are out of line. A comparison might be made to French wine (or high-end US wine), where the vintage (year), growing locations, soil conditions, processing practices, regions and blending techniques, and the distinctive taste that only Cuban soil can give all play a vital role in the finished product. Each brand has it's own distinctive characteristics and trademark flavours, the subtleties of which become apparent with a bit of experience (as in wine tasting), but are mostly lost on beginners until they acquire something of a palette for cigars.

For the same reason many people get fooled by fake or counterfeit Cuban cigars - at a fraction of the price, they are most likely made from Cuban tobacco, and they may even taste better than many cigars from other countries - but they haven't been pampered, aged, blended and rolled in the manner intended by the manufacturer. They are more like "floor scrapings" made to look good. An aficionado would be able to tell the difference immediately, while a beginner may be easily fooled.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Now you've a post that holds some good standing. I agree with your assessment of beginners and Cuban (real Cubans) and the symbiotic link you've made to great wines.

I, however, am no beginner.

You sound as if you've experience with the art and for that I applaude you and your contributions.

Women, great steaks, smoke, wine and ( dare I say ) those intimate moments . . . All things in life that we cherish, You must experience the good and the bad first.

Class #5 en route shortly.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Class #5 Tasting Cigars and Bourbon

The impeccable bourbon-and-cigar combination is an elusive ideal that enthusiasts have been chasing for years. Look upon that as a happy problem: you can spend years in search of perfection and have outstanding experiences along the way.

Impressions follow in order of light to full body:

Four Roses

The lightest-bodied of the bourbons tasted, Four Roses exhibits honey, anise, walnut and carmel notes, with a slight Scotch-like peatiness. True to expectations, it paired well with the light-bodied Macanudo Prince Philip, as the cigar and bourbonseemed to make each other perform better. A bit more powerful, the Padrón 1964 Anniversary Series Exclusivo tested neutral to negative against the Four Roses, which seemed to mute the cigar's nutty flavor. Surprisingly, the still fuller-bodied Montecristo No. 2 made a better pairing with the bourbon, enhancing its herbal qualities. The Fuente Fuente OpusX Perfexcion No. 2, perhaps the fullest-bodied of the bunch, clashed with the light whiskey, as the heat on the bourbon'sfinish became pronounced.

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

Technically a Tennessee sour-mash whiskey, Jack Daniel's is nonetheless hard to ignore when tasting bourbons. With its light-bodied smoothness and caramel, orange and wood notes, it fits in well with its Kentucky cousins. Predictably, it also drank very well with the light Macanudo, enhancing some of the cigar's sweetness and woodiness. The other pairings were not as good. The Padrón clashed with the orange character. The Monty was a neutral partner. The Fuente made the whiskey seem hotter.

Evan William's Single Barrel

Light- to medium-bodied, this smooth bourbon mixes orange, vanilla, and anise flavors with a sweet caramel nose and a long finish. The whiskey seemed to draw out the creamy, spicy sweetness of the Macanudo. It paired even better with the Padrón, the weight of their bodies being more evenly matched. The combination with the Monty was closer to neutral, although some peppery notes seemed to arise. The Fuente overpowered the bourbon.

Blanton's Single Barrel

A sweet, flavorful bourbon with a strong charcoal- and-wood character and hints of pear and anise; its nose is sweet and the finish long. Blanton's paired extremely well with the Macanudo and the Padrón, which sang with the wood of the bourbon. The Monty reacted badly to the whiskey, but the Blanton's brought out molasses notes in the Fuente.

Maker's Mark

The solidly medium-bodied Maker's shows orange, vanilla and caramel flavor, with a sweetness informed by molasses and maple sugar. The woody finish is zesty and effervescent. The light Macanudo faltered next to the bourbon, but the other three cigars made a very impressive pairing with Maker's. The Padrón tasted even sweeter in that context, the Monty balanced well, and the Fuente seemed more leathery and full-bodied.

Woodford Reserve

This smooth, sweet bourbon exhibits maple candy, cherry, vanilla and caramel with a meaty character, smacking of peat or tobacco. Dilution with water is recommended to unleash its entire flavor profile. The Woodford overpowered the Macanudo, making it seem papery, but matched well with the other cigars. It showed off the woodiness of the Padrón and brought out the cocoa in the Monty. The Fuente helped the Woodford, but the bourbon had a neutral effect on that cigar.

Rare Breed

A huge, smooth, complex bourbon, Rare Breed shows orange, caramel, licorice, maple and floral characters, with a long, sweet finish. The Macanudo seemed to disappear next to the Wild Turkey's flavor profile. The Padrón and Monty were neutral partners with the bourbon, the latter cigar gaining some toastiness but giving the whiskey a bite. The Fuente was a near-perfect match, enhancing the Rare Breed as the bourbon returned the compliment.

Booker's

A high-octane fuel at 125 proof, Booker's nevertheless has orange, vanilla, leather, pecan, honey and cherry charms that easily stand up to the alcohol. It cries out, however, to be diluted. The Macanudo was overwhelmed by its power and intensity. Booker's also proved too much for the Padrón. When paired with the Monty, it was at its best, pulling flavors from the cigar that weren't apparent before. The Fuente weighed in well, with its equal balance of full flavor.

Pappy Van Winkle's Family Reserve

At 20 years old, Van Winkle is the senior citizen of the bunch . Possibly an acquired taste, its preponderance of woody, smoky, almond and cherry tastes are alluring to some, but off-putting to others, who detect a musty, tannic quality. It matched poorly with the Macanudo, easily outrunning the cigar. The Padrón was a neutral partner. With the Monty, it matched well, finding cocoa and cedar qualities previously downplayed in the cigar. The Fuente was a well-balanced match.

Hope you enjoy as much as I,

Last edited:

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Pipe smoking.

I'll be back shortly with Pipes 101.

Suffice it to say I truly enjoy the subtleties of pipe smoking.

( No, it's not homosexual in ANY way . . .)

Hypoxia II

Don Juan
Reaction score
Cojimar and Kahlua

Those are 2 brands I like personally. I'm still kind of new to cigars and I enjoy them. I'm at the stage where I'll buy anything I can to try them out.

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
My advice is to find what suits your pallette and ask those of us who are pretty informed about cigars what we think you'd like.

Good choices though. The Kahlua cigarillos women love . . .

Prio

Don Juan
Reaction score
Im not that into smoking, but I usually have a cigar evey couple of months.

So far, from the few ive tried my favorites have been Romeo and Julieta (no. 1 and No. 2) and my favorite Zino Platinum. Im also a fan of bullets, as I find the punch to be cleaner and more enjoyable.

As for the drink I go less fancy jejeje im fan of a good Vodka on the rocks, or Vodka Cranberry, im also a big fan of a nice dark beer, Samuel Adams being my favorite.