Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Real Life Applications?

Phyzzle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Suicide

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Phyzzle said:
These threads have all you need to know. Frankly, when you're done reading these, you need to either sign up in a place that does sparring, or just shutup and forget about martial arts.

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19463
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48559
So this guy has studied all of these arts, used them and is able to tell us which one will work against the others? Please. Awful, crappy sweeping generalizations as far as that goes. If you want something that's better written, read this: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/martial-arts/faq/

And keep in mind that arts change with the amount of training you have. His generalizations may cover the basics of the art I study, but he'd be very surprised what is taught at the higher levels.

Just find a place and start training! God damn! You could have checked out like twenty different places and seen twenty different arts and decided for yourself by now.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
OK so bigjohnson, when you go ....
I almost always carry at least one gun, although I have never tried to conceal an assault rifle.

I don't think MA training is a waste of time - it's fun, but if someone has NO TRAINING and an immediate safety issue then it's too damn late for martial arts training to resolve that issue.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The other thing about boxing is that those guys train a lot and usually have excellent conditioning. Plus they get hit over and over again so they can take a punch.

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Kerpal said:
The other thing about boxing is that those guys train a lot and usually have excellent conditioning. Plus they get hit over and over again so they can take a punch.
Yeah, you're hardpressed to find anyone better conditioned than a pro boxer.

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
.... run and call the police....
Having no weapons around is not a common state outside the office. Ahem. Of course I would NEVER carry within the hallowed confines of the workplace. :whistle:

As Centaurion and others have pointed out, MA training is wonderful, and I agree it's a great thing IF YOU ENJOY it. But let's not be idiotic and try and make it some sort of "real men can protect their loved ones" agrument. If that's what this is about then the top ways to do that is to make sure they stay away from bad places, have a good health plan and a safe home in a good neighborhood.

If you want to protect them, get THEM a weapon permit and training as well.

It's called an equalizer for a reason.

God_of_getting_layed

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Belisarius said:
Of course with either boxing or karate if you go up against anyone with ground fighting experience(a rarity in a street fight), you are definitely ****ed.
exactly

and this is exactly why BJJ + MT is prefered over boxing. with BJJ+MT you can kill the average joe as well as the trained boxer and karate practitioner. where as with boxing, you can only kill the average joe, the karate practiitoner, and an inferior boxer, but not a BJJ guy. hmmmm, let me think here, which is the best one to choose? duuuhh, I think its BJJ!!!!! :yes:

again, dont waste time on boxing. Go for the supreme: BJJ+MT

bigjohnson

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Depends on placement more than anything. Your CNS, pump, or major tube gets taken out and you die no matter who you are. It just takes time, unlike in the movies. Anyone who's ever hunted can tell you that large mammals don't just fip over and die without a CNS hit.

Some sideways shooting retard that manages to miss any vital plumbing with 9 shots is just sad.

As to being shot not being effective against someone "who can take 9 at once":

"It happens so fast that you don't even get a chance to shoot back... I was scared the whole time... I was looking in the rear-view mirror like, 'Oh ****, somebody shot me in the face! It burns, burns, burns.'"

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am a practictioner of brazilian jiu-jitsu and this is the greatest martial art in the world for real life applications. Reasons being.

1. Training is done at 100 percent unlike traditonal martial arts.
2. Everyone on the street knows how to throw a punch yet noone knows anything about ground fighting.
3. Brazilian jiu-jitsu was tested by the gracie family for years and was made for an actual street fight. They used to have no holds barred fights in brazil.

Add in muythai and you are a complete fighter. These are probably the two best arts for a real street fight.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
I am a practictioner of brazilian jiu-jitsu and this is the greatest martial art in the world for real life applications. Reasons being.

1. Training is done at 100 percent unlike traditonal martial arts.
2. Everyone on the street knows how to throw a punch yet noone knows anything about ground fighting.
3. Brazilian jiu-jitsu was tested by the gracie family for years and was made for an actual street fight. They used to have no holds barred fights in brazil.

Add in muythai and you are a complete fighter. These are probably the two best arts for a real street fight.

I just dont like the idea of automatically trying to take a fight to the ground. if thats where you end up thats finel... but if you are in a street fight are you really looking to bring it to the ground right away? Tell me of your experiences with this...

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Please, if you want to learn about real life, go to street fighting forums. read about Geoff Thompson, "Awesome" John Anderson, talk to some bouncers, hell talk to guys who just got out of prison. Look at all the baddest mofos out there, the homeless or gangbanging teenagers, the petty crooks, youll never see them lifting weights, taking protein supplements, washing their gi or breaking boards. If they do any martial arts, its almost always boxing. There usually wiry, lanky and tall. If they are big, its natural, mostly fat. None of this bodybuilding sh!t.

You dont want to end up on the ground. bad sh!t can happen from there, and its hard to run away. You have to be willing and able to choke the guy out or break some bones, none of this 'tap' bull****. You let the guy go and he'll keep going, this time knowing not to go to the ground. he'll probably say 'ok you won' and offer to shake your hand or pretend to be buddies, and then sucker punch or headbutt you.

Remmeber that while your applying your advanced jiu jtisu he'll be biting, clawing, spitting, etc.

assuming there are no weapons and its a 1v1 fight: headbutt, punch on the jaw or throat, knees. Hit first and hit hard, keep hitting on the jaw until hes KOed, or if he's a better fighter than you, run away as soon as possible.

if there are weapons or multiple opponents: run away

street fighters are better fighters than martial artists. if you insist on training martial arts: the pure punch of a boxer (mostly right hand followed by left hook), knees and low-kicks of muay thai, crash course in wrestling or judo, focusing on the upper body, and focusing on throws where you falls to the ground, but you stay on your feet.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jayer said:
I just dont like the idea of automatically trying to take a fight to the ground. if thats where you end up thats finel... but if you are in a street fight are you really looking to bring it to the ground right away? Tell me of your experiences with this...
If I am in a streetfight I am looking to get into a good clinch. For example I want double underhooks or I want to control is head.

When I am able to do this I will take the fight to the ground and I will be in a dominant postion. I will be mount or side mount.

Believe me guys if you take brazilian jiu-jitsu for 6 months and you mount a guy the fights over. I can mount someone that is 50 pounds heavier than me. A street fighter will never escape my mount. He will burn out so fast.

Gracie jiu-jitsu teaches your either in or out. So your either too close for him to get a good punch or your too far for him to reach you. BJJ is the greatest martial art in the world for self defense.

you never want to be in a postion were a guy catches you at the end of his punch.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6-heads lewis said:
Please, if you want to learn about real life, go to street fighting forums. read about Geoff Thompson, "Awesome" John Anderson, talk to some bouncers, hell talk to guys who just got out of prison. Look at all the baddest mofos out there, the homeless or gangbanging teenagers, the petty crooks, youll never see them lifting weights, taking protein supplements, washing their gi or breaking boards. If they do any martial arts, its almost always boxing. There usually wiry, lanky and tall. If they are big, its natural, mostly fat. None of this bodybuilding sh!t.

You dont want to end up on the ground. bad sh!t can happen from there, and its hard to run away. You have to be willing and able to choke the guy out or break some bones, none of this 'tap' bull****. You let the guy go and he'll keep going, this time knowing not to go to the ground. he'll probably say 'ok you won' and offer to shake your hand or pretend to be buddies, and then sucker punch or headbutt you.

Remmeber that while your applying your advanced jiu jtisu he'll be biting, clawing, spitting, etc.

assuming there are no weapons and its a 1v1 fight: headbutt, punch on the jaw or throat, knees. Hit first and hit hard, keep hitting on the jaw until hes KOed, or if he's a better fighter than you, run away as soon as possible.

if there are weapons or multiple opponents: run away

street fighters are better fighters than martial artists. if you insist on training martial arts: the pure punch of a boxer (mostly right hand followed by left hook), knees and low-kicks of muay thai, crash course in wrestling or judo, focusing on the upper body, and focusing on throws where you falls to the ground, but you stay on your feet.

Streetfighters are not better fighters than martial artists. Do you mean to tell me some guy from the street who drinks,smokes is going to beat me at my own game. I don't think so buddy.

A bjj guy will kick a boxers ass any day of the week. BJJ is the closest thing to a real fight. Boxing is more of a sport. The early UFC proves this. I would love to take a fight down to the ground. 95% of fights end up on the ground. Watch some streetfights it makes me laugh the way these guys punch. I could actually see there punches coming from a mile away.

If you don't believe me go to a local bjj school and roll with a couple of guys . You will have a new respect for the art.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BJJ is a great art. It is very realistic and gives an opponent a huge advantage over people with no ground game.

To the guy who said people can bite and spit. That's always going to be true. But a person skilled in ground fighting will be in a much better position.

Plus, remember that both people can punch and spit, including the BJJ guy.

And BJJ isn't all about "going to the ground." The truth is taht by learning hwo to ground fight effectively, you can DECREASE your chances of ending up on the bottom. And IF YOU DO end up on the bottom, you'll be able to quickly get out and dominate into a top position.

The force of BJJ and ground fighting is amazing. Try rolling with an advanced grappler. You'll be amazed at how helpless you feel every second. You'll feel like you can't even do ANYTHING. Imagine that every little placement of your leg, arm, body etc is putting him into a more dominant position, opening up submissions, and even fatiguing you.

Thai boxing and boxing are of course amazing as well. A strong thai boxer will be able to crush your leg with a couple kicks. I've witnessed a person get their arm broken by one kick.

And who would want to be caught in the flurry of punches that a good boxer would deliver? The timing, footwork, motion...just as you try to throw your cross he'll have put you in a position of punishment.

The point is that every one of these arts is so beneficial and amazing.

But if you want to be a great fighter, you'll need to train in all of them. You'll need to be able to dominate your opponent from the moment he squares off to the point that you finish him. That requires training, discipline, instinct, and the ability to rationalize and keep control in even the most adrenaline rushed situation.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lookyoung said:
If I am in a streetfight I am looking to get into a good clinch. For example I want double underhooks or I want to control is head.

When I am able to do this I will take the fight to the ground and I will be in a dominant postion. I will be mount or side mount.

Believe me guys if you take brazilian jiu-jitsu for 6 months and you mount a guy the fights over. I can mount someone that is 50 pounds heavier than me. A street fighter will never escape my mount. He will burn out so fast.

Gracie jiu-jitsu teaches your either in or out. So your either too close for him to get a good punch or your too far for him to reach you. BJJ is the greatest martial art in the world for self defense.

you never want to be in a postion were a guy catches you at the end of his punch.
A street fighter would be in general a better fighter than the self-proclaimed martial artists.

They have developed an innate sense of how to deal with MANY MANY opponents in all circumstances. You can't learn that.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
UFC is not a street fighting sim

the reaosn i have a street fighter ahead as tops is that he's not afraid, he can deal with adrenal dumps, he has little to lose, and no shame. most importantly, he's experienced in difficult situations.

fighting a bjj guy in a bjj contest is a bad idea.
fighting a boxer in the ring is a bad idea.
fighting a street fighter on the street is a very bad idea.

i dont mean to discredit any martial art, just to point out that neither are as good as experience, petty weapons, and a criminal mentality.

lookyoung

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
6-heads lewis said:
UFC is not a street fighting sim i dont mean to discredit any martial art, just to point out that neither are as good as experience, petty weapons, and a criminal mentality.

Your right its not street fighting but it is the closest thing to a streetfight. Closer than boxing or any other sport. Now do you mean to tell me that s streetfighter could take on randy coutoure or matt hughes, or st pierre. I don't care how crazy he is or what kind of mentality he has. You must be smoking some good stuff if you think that.

I have been in many streetfights and I have learned more in bjj training than I have in any streetfight.

BTW I don't receommend fighting if your outnumbered or if someone has a gun, bjj or anything else will not work.

Methuselah

Don Juan
Reaction score
speakeasy said:
Yeah, you're hardpressed to find anyone better conditioned than a pro boxer.
Anyone who is trained in a serious, effective martial arts can destroy a pro boxer (western style). For example, kickboxers can destroy boxers. Anyone who can use their feet in addition to their hands has a tremendous advantage over a boxer. I've fought and sparred several men who were boxers, and due to the fact that they don't expect and/or can't react to a knee, kick, or any other variation of footwork. Not to discredit any boxer, because their art is intense and extremely effective, but it can't and won't standup against a freestyle/streetfighter/or martial artist who is equally skilled. From my personal experience anyway.