Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone else do 20 rep squats

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheers mate :)

If those manual labour places had hot chicks bending over on swiss balls in front of you while you're working, I'd quit my gym and possibly my job and go work there instead. :D

Just received my weightlifting shoes from Risto sports. Can't wait till I try them out in the squat session tomorrow! I tried with just bodyweight squat & stick and felt comfortable and strong at depth.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
Just received my weightlifting shoes from Risto sports. Can't wait till I try them out in the squat session tomorrow! I tried with just bodyweight squat & stick and felt comfortable and strong at depth.
Am anxious to hear your thoughts on them. I need some myself.

So yeah farm work and forgot to mention I am working all summer on construction building our home. So as fugly said, all manual labor. Yes, we even have to fell our own trees for the timber work. Its going to be nuts ( hopefully in the happy go lucky way)

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I did my first 20 repper today.

I thought Id start light with 60kg on the bar and it was TOUGH.

Plan is to do a 20 repper twice per week, adding 2.5kg each time. Slow and steady.

My goal is to hit 100kg for 20 reps.

Currently I can do 100kg for 3x5.

happy to be part of the club guys!

Cure.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
synergy1 said:
Am anxious to hear your thoughts on them. I need some myself.
I wasn't going for 1RM so I don't know if I can back-squat more with these shoes, but they're amazing! I am so much more stable at depth, can go deeper and still keep the tension. Makes coming out of the bottom so much easier.

FYI my back squat session was:

Bar x20, 60kg x8, 90kg x3
120kg x1, 127.5kg x1, 145kg x1, 147.5kg x1, 147.5kg x1, 127.5kg x3

(rep set up a little strange because it's a part of a progressive program)

And my 1RM is 150kg.

I did some front-squat after my back squat session, although I just did front squat on Sunday. My previous best FSquat was 107.5kg. I got 120kg relatively easily. That's a 12.5kg increase just because of the shoes, as I could stay upright comfortably and be strong in that position.

Also did some overhead squat. I used to have stability issues with the bottom portion related to my lower body, but the shoes fixed it. Now I only have to deal with scapula stability.

Best $130 (AUD) I've ever spent on shoes!

So yeah farm work and forgot to mention I am working all summer on construction building our home. So as fugly said, all manual labor. Yes, we even have to fell our own trees for the timber work. Its going to be nuts ( hopefully in the happy go lucky way)
Sounds like a fun, real man's summer!

TizZle

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I do a warm-up set. Then try for 2 sets of 5-6. Leg press for one set of 10-12. then calves and leg curls.

This works for me. Never have tried 20 rep squat. lol.

Did leg day yesterday 315lb for 5 then 4. I'm 6'1" 175lbs with legs being my strong point.

Yes i go at least parallel.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
More torture squat today, now at 115kg x20. :)

Took the whole morning to psyche myself up before I had enough courage to go to the gym. :p

I'm pretty close to, if not already at, my max for Torture Squat. 120kg will be the hardest challenge I've ever attempted, and I think I'll need to have some mates there doing the cheerleading.

Cure

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug thats awesome! I can imagine doing even 100kg, whats your break down like? is it mostly singles? do you start off with 5 straight reps, etc etc?

I got 70kgx20 today, a 10kg improvment in less than 3 weeks, pretty happy. Going to go for some heavy low reps stuff for a few workouts, then back on the 20 reppers and aiming for 80kg.

Cure.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks mate. +10kg in 3 weeks is fantastic!

I often do 5, pause, do 2 or 3, pause, get up to 10, do singles till 15, then listen to what the little voice in my head says.

Here is the video of my 115kg x20: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4bmBFMFixA

Note for those who don't know: the blue plate is 20kg, yellow is 15kg, green is 10kg, and the little black one is 2.5kg. The bar is 20kg (Olympic 7ft).

I'm taking a couple months break from this torture squat to concentrate on my low rep heavy squats. I got a serious headache (exertion & muscle tension headache) after that session which took over a week to recover. I'll get my 1RM to 170kg then try 120kg x20. I've gone from 80kg to 115kg x20 this year already and it's taken a lot out of me. Need to give myself a rest!

Have fun with your 20 reppers, guys!

Last edited:

RMM

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Top stuff Jitter. Unfortunately, I can't listen to the little voice in my head, when I get to 15 it is usually screaming obscenities about me, my mother, and some dubious parentage, while begging for it to stop.

I've got some work to do with the squats myself, after reaching 107.5 x19 I went back to lower reps and faceplanted after 127.5 x3 on the 4th try (yay safety bars!), so we'll see :D

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sick video jitter! Great stuff though. You've got good core strength to have solid fundamental squat form even after rep 15. How's the bodyweight right now?

I recently did 225 lbs x 20 at 172 lbs... that's 102.5 kg x 20 at 78 kg. Not bad considering I just came off cycle, my bodyweight dropped around 8 lbs (on purpose) and my 20 rep squat went up 35 lbs (190 x 20 was what I did before)... Better stay on your game, I'm catching upto you! :D

The 170 kg is a great goal to have... I'm gonna try and drop to around 75 kg bodyweight and maybe try and go for that goal with you. That would be over a 2.25x bodyweight squat, and I think I could get to 2.75x bodyweight deadlift if I can do a 206 kg deadlift (4 and a half plates) at 75 kg. I was 78 kg last time I did that weight, so it was around a 2.63x.

Great job man, keep it up.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Cheers Fug :)

Heh, you should tell that to some of my ignorant friends who keep telling me that I should do pilates or some stupid swiss ball work for core strength, because lifting big weights apparently leaves me with a "core imbalance".

My BW is still hovering around 80kg (79~82), although I keep getting thicker in the back and shoulders, and slimmer around the waist. I want to get down to 75kg too. If I lose 5kg of fat now, I'll be a ripped 75kg! Makes it easier to have a 2.5xBW (187.5kg) Squat and 3xBW (225kg) deadlift too. ;) I also intend to compete in the future and I think I'll be more comfortable in the 75kg division than the 82.5kg one. I'm finetuning my diet atm and adding some high intensity cardio at the end of every weight session.

You're on 2 plates, > 100kg now! That's very nice! Damn it, I can't be complacent!

Regarding the DL, 206kg is also around what I'm going for at the end of the next training cycle, starting tomorrow. Officially it's the 200kg program I'm on, but since I'm already at 185kg, I'll probably hit somewhere between 200 and 210.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Those are great goals to have... 2.5x squat/3x DL are still a bit out of reach for me at the moment, but I hope I can get there one day. You're lucky to have had good training/coaching, and have the fundamentals drilled into you. As with anything in life, you'll always excel if you do you fundamentals well.

Pilates classes are good for flexibility and meeting hot and friendly fitness-minded girls that want your sausage in their holes...

The 225 x 20 I did caught me a bit off guard as I had no idea I was physically capable of doing it. It was my first work set and I had almost a week of no squatting so I was well rested. My resting heart rate right now is in the mid 50s, so I'm better conditioned than when I was on cycle. I think all these factors together contributed to being able to do it. It was a devastating set though, messed me up for the rest of the session!

I was 75 kg around 3 years ago, when I was dancing full time. I looked good. 6 pack all the time, vascularity in my lower abs. It felt like I could get any girl I wanted. Although I got a lot of attention because of my appearance, I didn't really think my strength was anything substantial. I think my deadlift was around 190 kg, and my 1 RM squat was probably around 130 kg. Obviously I was more intent on training for aesthetics at the time, but I'm a bit worried that I'll lose strength once I get down to 75 kg. I guess the key will be to train appropriately and keep protein and healthy fat in take nice and high. What kind of dietary approach are you taking?

Good luck getting down to 75 kg. Being leaner/lighter feels so much better than being heavy. There might be a small (2-3%) difference in top line strength but it feels so much better.

Jitterbug

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't actually have a coach (and have never had one). I train with programs & information I get from a great local coach, but I've never trained with him in person cos that gym is way too far for me to get to regularly. His lifters are very inspiring to me. I wouldn't even dream of those lift figures if it weren't for them making me think that it's entirely possible.

I may join a local Olympic lifting gym soon.

Regarding pilates - I know :p but that's why I do partner dancing.

My dietary approach:

No starchy carbs, all carbs from fruits & veggies.
No alcohol.
Plan and prepare at least 95% of my meals (done 90% up to this point).
Eat every 2.5~3h.
All natural foods, no processed foods.
Protein & essential fat intakes nice & high.

I have not counted calories yet. Just going by simple visual cues like a fistful of veggies & *this much* meat. I'll adjust as I go along.

ProDJ26

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Jitterbug said:
I have not counted calories yet. Just going by simple visual cues like a fistful of veggies & *this much* meat. I'll adjust as I go along.
Glad to see I'm not the only one who doesn't measure food

:D

Good work on the squats very inspirational vids

JDiddy

Don Juan
Reaction score
doing 125kg (275lb) x20 tomorrow

i want to be doing 3 plate with collars (142.5kg/320lb) super squats by October 1st

i recommend max volume heavy metal of your choice on your ipod whilst doing these, I find it stimulates the nervous system

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Just did 230 (105 kg) x 20 today at 172 lbs bodywt! It was... tough, to say the least, but "fun" in its own sick twisted sort of way.

I'm beginning to realize more and more that 20 rep squats are EXTREMELY mental in nature. You just gotta tell that little voice in your head that tells you to stop, to shut the phuck up... 235 x 20 will be attempted next time.. :nervous:

RMM

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Fuglydude said:
Just did 230 (105 kg) x 20 today at 172 lbs bodywt! It was... tough, to say the least, but "fun" in its own sick twisted sort of way.
Far out! Having two plates on each side and then deciding to start adding even more crap feels awesome, doesn't it?

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I am BACK on the wagon! After a bit of a lifting layoff and extra focus on running, I'm on the 20 rep wagon. After six workouts in 2 and a half weeks, and starting easy at 155, I am back at 205, still deciding whether to do 210 or 215 for my next workout. Feels good to get back into it, and with a squat rack at work now, I have no excuse not to take 10-15 minutes after work to bust out a quick session.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MetalFortress said:
I am BACK on the wagon! After a bit of a lifting layoff and extra focus on running, I'm on the 20 rep wagon. After six workouts in 2 and a half weeks, and starting easy at 155, I am back at 205, still deciding whether to do 210 or 215 for my next workout. Feels good to get back into it, and with a squat rack at work now, I have no excuse not to take 10-15 minutes after work to bust out a quick session.
How about that! After a tumultuous few months culminating in me leaving my start up, i am ready to get back into this too. I look at myself and am not happy where I was mentally and decided to get all my **** and leave my previous job. So what is the first thing I do? Update my resume. second thing? get a real diet, and do a 20 rep squat cycle for 6 weeks.

I am copying Fugly's dietary intake; 200 g of protien daily, and 3500 calories. my challenge is being lactose intolerant (whey seems okay, the low lactose stuff), but I feel I can overcome this with other sources.

Decided to check my 5 rep, and with perfect form ( something I feel I lacked in go round 1), I managed to do 245 lbs after a significant layoff from the gym. This means I too am starting at 155 lbs and working up 5 lbs each day for 18 total days to 245 for 20 reps.

The goal Put on 10+ lbs and go from 170 lbs to 180-185 lbs. I lost some weight from not eating due to stress, so now its time for redemption. I am not in bad shape at all, but looking at myself, I lost a lot of weight and want it back! The long term goal is to be a stalky 185 which at 5'10" is a perfect size for the sports I am into!

Wish me luck!

MetalFortress

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
215 x 21

Decided to add ten one last time today. Did pretty well at it - every workout has been surprisingly predictable to this point. No real scares, per se. I might add ten again on Sunday, or I might not - we'll see!

Now that my wife is pregnant with our first kid, my goal is 315 (3 plates) before our baby is born. That means I have to the first week or two of January to do it.